• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Montresor

Playing on normal. Finding the game very difficult. I don't know to approach the combat. I try to take cover and shoot. I die. I try to jump everywhere and shoot. I die. :(

Any tips?

*While you are in cover, your bullet time meter will fill up as you take fire from enemies. So wait a bit, accumulate some bullet time, and then pop out of cover + push the right stick simultaneously to kill people in slow-mo.

*Don't stay too long in cover, because sometimes the AI will flank you.

*Abuse shootdodge by dodging from one piece of cover to the other. This isn't always possible, but sometimes you'll notice that two pieces of cover are close enough to each other to let you dodge from one piece of cover and land safely behind the other. It's better than shootdodging out in the open, because then you would be a sitting duck the moment you hit the ground.

*Late-game enemies, like the UFE and Cracha Preto, are heavily armoured. Do not shoot them in the chest, because their armour turns them into bullet sponges. Always aim for their head. Some of these late-game enemies have helmets - they'll require two shots to the head. One shot to remove their helmet, and another to cap their dome.

JB1981

I honestly can't take it anymore. Really fucking cant. I have died over 30 times now trying to beat the heavy on top of the roof ... Fuck this game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I honestly can't take it anymore. Really fucking cant. I have died over 30 times now trying to beat the heavy on top of the roof ... Fuck this game
There has to be a glitch in this part. I'm not particularly good at the game but I never died on the rooftop section. One of my friends kept dying over an over for no reason. It seems so sporadic when people have difficulty with that segment that something has to be wrong.

madmackem

hahaha i had issues with that, best thing to do is try to kill the last normal enemy on the other roof on the side you want to snap into cover when facing the heavy. Move side to side in cover keep flipping into bullet time.

JB1981

hahaha i had issues with that, best thing to do is try to kill the last normal enemy on the other roof on the side you want to snap into cover when facing the heavy. Move side to side in cover keep flipping into bullet time.

I cannot beat it. I have retried this section like literally 40 times now. Im this close to calling it quits on the game. Beyond frustrating

I shot the guy in the head in bullet time with my automatic about 25 times and he doesn't budge

I am debating between this and Dragons Dogma. I loved Max Payne 1 and 2. In fact I played 2 about 3 times from start to finish. Is this a worthy successor?

Montresor

What's everyone's favourite outfit for the arcade modes?

Is there one with full-head-of-hair Max wearing a fancy suit and tie? There's an outfit literally called Suit-And-Tie-Max but with that outfit Max is bald.

Moze

Banned
I cannot beat it. I have retried this section like literally 40 times now. Im this close to calling it quits on the game. Beyond frustrating

I shot the guy in the head in bullet time with my automatic about 25 times and he doesn't budge

are you talking about when the bomb is about to go off?

i just went underneath him (the ledge) and shot him..took about 5 hots to kill him. from underneath he cant shoot you

I decided to start my first playthrough on Hard + Hard Lock (just wanted to unlock the higher difficulties relatively painless, you can laugh guys :D ). I finished the story today but didn't get the story completion trophies (only the part 1,2,3 completed trophies). Probably because I was playing on pussy hard lock mode lol.

I just started an Old School playthrough with Free-Aim. Hopefully the difficulty trophies besides Hardcore (I do know about the cheat though) will pop when I finish it. Or else ANOTHER playthrough without skipping cutscenes.... sigh. Thank God I love the game or else it wouldn't be worth it.

Moze

Banned
I decided to start my first playthrough on Hard + Hard Lock (just wanted to unlock the higher difficulties relatively painless, you can laugh guys :D ). I finished the story today but didn't get the story completion trophies (only the part 1,2,3 completed trophies). Probably because I was playing on pussy hard lock mode lol.

I just started an Old School playthrough with Free-Aim. Hopefully the difficulty trophies besides Hardcore (I do know about the cheat though) will pop when I finish it. Or else ANOTHER playthrough without skipping cutscenes.... sigh. Thank God I love the game or else it wouldn't be worth it.

to get the hard trophy you have to play it in free aim

to get the medium trophy you have to play it in atleast soft aim

Montresor

I'm not sure if Old School will unlock any of the other difficult achievements. But Hardcore should unlock Medium + Hard + Hardcore as long as you do Hardcore in free aim.

I'm not sure if Old School will unlock any of the other difficult achievements. But Hardcore should unlock Medium + Hard + Hardcore as long as you do Hardcore in free aim.

Ah, so if I do the "cheat" it might unlock them. Fingers crossed. I still need to play through NYM and NYM Hardcore so I'll be playing the story mode enough as it is already.

JB1981

are you talking about when the bomb is about to go off?

i just went underneath him (the ledge) and shot him..took about 5 hots to kill him. from underneath he cant shoot you

Yes as the building is slowly crumbling. I tried that as well but no luck. It's not even like the way they designed the scenario takes skill. It's pure memorization and since there is no checkpoint I have start at the beginning.

I shut it off and guess I will try later. Too frustrating.

Montresor

Ah, so if I do the "cheat" it might unlock them. Fingers crossed. I still need to play through NYM and NYM Hardcore so I'll be playing the story mode enough as it is already.

I hope you're not talking about editing trophies lol.

Technically you still haven't really earned any of these achievements. You played hard with hard lock. Hard unlocks if you play it in free aim. Medium unlocks if you play it with soft lock. And the reason Old School doesn't stack is because it's a very special way to play the game. It's not simply a harder version of hard mode, like Hardcore is. It's Max Payne 3 with no last stand mode.

FYI, I do think it's complete bullshit that the actual trophy/achievement descriptions don't say anything about the type of aim you need to use! I.E. the achievement says "Story Complete [HARD]" but it doesn't say anything to warn you about playing in free aim.

I am debating between this and Dragons Dogma. I loved Max Payne 1 and 2. In fact I played 2 about 3 times from start to finish. Is this a worthy successor?
I have both and thought mp3 would be the one I couldn't stop playing but it's turned out to be dd instead. I have enjoyed mp3 but just can't stop playing dd even though I got them on the same day. I'm more of a rpg gamer so take that as you will.

I can't wait to get back into mp3 though, hopefully more gaffers will be on when I play since randoms really seem to suck.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yes as the building is slowly crumbling. I tried that as well but no luck. It's not even like the way they designed the scenario takes skill. It's pure memorization and since there is no checkpoint I have start at the beginning.

Knowing this is half the battle. This section took me about five or six tries, but I got to the point where I would just restart the checkpoint if I wasn't going to be able to get to the guy with the LMG with at least two painkillers. Once you're able to do that, and you're hiding behind cover, you should have plenty of bullet time generated — just activate it, exit cover and fire right at his face as soon as he stops shooting at you. You'll need to do this 2-4 times.

Also, on your way to him, activate bullet time at each area just before an enemy pops out suddenly (happens two or three times) so that you have a leg up on them.

Yes, I've been stuck here for a few days as well on hard.

Wish I didn't start the game on hard, but rather on medium or even easy first. Some parts have to be played over and over and over because of bad level design, little oversights on the developers part or insane enemy placement. In the meanwhile I've started and put 12+ hours into Dragon's Dogma, and I'm still at the same part on MP3, lol.

I like the game, and then mostly Max Payne himself and the shooting/hit animations... But if I can't get past this part soon enough I'll likely never touch the game again.

Is there even a way to change the difficulty mid game? Haven't seen such an option myself. Would do it in a heart beat, don't even care for the trophies, I just want to see what happens next, dammit.

I am not done yet, but I really love the soundtrack. Not really the kind of music i normally listen to, but it's both great and used very effectively. And the imuse-like transitions allows for a very tightly controlled soundtrack with great buildups and so on.

Favorite track so far is shells. It makes the (ch2)
club rooftop
scene really powerful. I just wish the ost track had the heavy percussions the game version had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDmWu4HBdTA&list=UUA1tk_Wa3Lm4hMZ4ssPEuLw&index=8&feature=plcp
(from 10:00 onwards, shells really starts at 12:00)

Moze

Banned

the game is frustrating...its one of the reasons i didnt like that game that much. its a run and gun game i dont get why they made it so max can only take 3 shots before dying? in doing that they are forcing you to stay in cover which isnt how the game is meant to be played

I have both and thought mp3 would be the one I couldn't stop playing but it's turned out to be dd instead. I have enjoyed mp3 but just can't stop playing dd even though I got them on the same day. I'm more of a rpg gamer so take that as you will.

I can't wait to get back into mp3 though, hopefully more gaffers will be on when I play since randoms really seem to suck.

This is great thanks for the info.

Gui_PT

the game is frustrating...its one of the reasons i didnt like that game that much. its a run and gun game i dont get why they made it so max can only take 3 shots before dying? in doing that they are forcing you to stay in cover which isnt how the game is meant to be played

This is not the Max Payne I played

I hope you're not talking about editing trophies lol.

Technically you still haven't really earned any of these achievements. You played hard with hard lock. Hard unlocks if you play it in free aim. Medium unlocks if you play it with soft lock. And the reason Old School doesn't stack is because it's a very special way to play the game. It's not simply a harder version of hard mode, like Hardcore is. It's Max Payne 3 with no last stand mode.

FYI, I do think it's complete bullshit that the actual trophy/achievement descriptions don't say anything about the type of aim you need to use! I.E. the achievement says "Story Complete [HARD]" but it doesn't say anything to warn you about playing in free aim.

The fact that the trophy descriptions didn't gave me a heads up about it is the reason I went for the easiest route to unlock Hardcore and Old School. The game tells you you can't earn certain trophies but I thought they just meant the [Free Aim] skill trophies, like shooting every dude in the set piece slo-mo moments. Because the "Part I completed" trophies popped I was hoping the Story completed ones would pop too, but sadly they didn't.

Wut cheat?

You can trick the game into thinking you completed Hardcore by playing through Old School and "lowering" the difficulty to Hardcore on the final part of the last mission. That way the game thinks you finished on Hardcore and gives you the trophy. If you backed up your Old School save you can reload the final checkpoint and finish the game to earn the Old School trophy.

I just wanted the least amount of playthroughs before tackling NYM and NYM Hardcore. I don't care if I game the system for it.

Moze

Banned
Then why is he complaining?

You want hard and you got it.

Deal with it.

wait where did i say i was playing on hard?

the game is cheap as hell, enemies can take 15+ shots before going down, max can randomly die at any point from a shot to the head. overall the game is extremely frustrating and not something i enjoyed that much

Gui_PT

Seems like he was playing on hard.

I'm playing on hard and I'm using less cover than in Medium

You can trick the game into thinking you completed Hardcore by playing through Old School and "lowering" the difficulty to Hardcore on the final part of the last mission. That way the game thinks you finished on Hardcore and gives you the trophy. If you backed up your Old School save you can reload the final checkpoint and finish the game to earn the Old School trophy.

I just wanted the least amount of playthroughs before tackling NYM and NYM Hardcore. I don't care if I game the system for it.

Oh I get it. Thanks.

JB1981

I have died in this game more than any other TPS I've ever played. I appreciate the game but I can't say I'm enjoying it right now. Ive been drunk for two days straight so that might be playing a factor

Moze

Banned
I have died in this game more than any other TPS I've ever played. I appreciate the game but I can't say I'm enjoying it right now. Ive been drunk for two days straight so that might be playing a factor

yeah im the same, i just kept dying. usually when playing a TPS i can probably complete the whole game with less than 25 deaths while playing on normal difficulty...by the end of max payne 3 i had died 235 times

MMaRsu

I was worried about the shooting going in, but they nailed it for the most part. The only exception was the laser-sighted weapons, which felt way less accurate than the normal ones.

I loved how Max kept track of his inventory through cutscenes. After seeing him set down the AK to do something else, then remember to pick it up again, you start to wonder why every game can't do that.

You can change laser-sighted weapons to display the white dot instead of the laser by pressing select :).

MMaRsu

wait where did i say i was playing on hard?

the game is cheap as hell, enemies can take 15+ shots before going down, max can randomly die at any point from a shot to the head. overall the game is extremely frustrating and not something i enjoyed that much

Wut? Oh wait you must be talking about enemies that have body armor, you are probably shooting them straight into the chest area. How about trying to hit them where they are not armored like their legs or heads?

The game is not frustrating at all if you know how to play. Dont stay in cover too much, use bullettime a lot and shootdodge a lot. Play it like a boss and you can win like a boss, but play it like a sissy staying in cover you'll probably have a much harder time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I am honestly not very good at games (especially shooters, my aim is just never that good), but I fared pretty well on my medium run; I don't think there was any one area that I had to retry more than nine or ten times. Using bullet time whenever possible (even if just for a second) and disabling it as soon as I got the kill, going for headshots only (free aim is a must), using painkillers appropriately (instead of waiting for them to trigger automatically), etc. are all things that helped. I can't believe how many reviewers commented on how hard of a game this was on medium — I thought it felt just right. The additional painkillers that you get make it a breeze in some areas that you're likely to die a lot, too.

Then why is he complaining?

You want hard and you got it.

Deal with it.
Well, that's one way of putting it. I chose hard as well. But I don't want them to turn up the difficulty in a cheap way. Most of the game is perfectly playable on hard, but then some parts stand out being just straight up cheap as fuck. I can't remember exact chapters, but the problem parts usually were more open structured map layouts with enemies shooting you from several angles and no where to hide. You can bullet dodge, but once you hit the ground (and that's relatively fast on even ground) you're done because you're slow as fuck for an instance and that's almost always enough to get you killed.

I think I just expected a roller coaster ride, but I indeed shouldn't have chosen hard, because the some layouts are just not well balanced for it. If I find the patience to finish the game, I'll try the whole thing on easy. I think I'll actually like the game more that way. And I usually like a challenge!

Moze

Banned
Wut? Oh wait you must be talking about enemies that have body armor, you are probably shooting them straight into the chest area. How about trying to hit them where they are not armored like their legs or heads?

The game is not frustrating at all if you know how to play. Dont stay in cover too much, use bullettime a lot and shootdodge a lot. Play it like a boss and you can win like a boss, but play it like a sissy staying in cover you'll probably have a much harder time.

at one point one of the dues in armor took 3 close randge headshots from a shotgun

it takes the piss tbh

and i never stayed in cover i tried to run and gun but it was far to easy to die

pakkit

Banned
I watched my friend play this game. All the pregame buzz about cover being secondary is bunk, he was playing this game like a GoW-style cover to cover shooter and getting along fine. Rockstar really succeeded in balancing this game both for those with knowledge about the Max Payne series and for those that simply dove in knowing it was a Rockstar game. You see a blend of these elements (cover has been an aspect in all R* games this gen, looking for clues is reminiscent of L.A. Noire, the ability to soft lock), and the game is no worser for it, with the notable exception of the split multiplayer.

For those having trouble with the game's difficulty, know that it's balanced for high risk/high reward. If you're looking for that delicious Bullet-Time, you'll have to peek out of cover and attack the enemies head on. I use cover as a respite from the bullets, instead of a permanent stay. I was playing through this game on Hard and it is a lot easier when you're attacking the enemies first instead of trying to pick them off as they slowly surround you.

at one point one of the dues in armor took 3 close randge headshots from a shotgun

it takes the piss tbh

and i never stayed in cover i tried to run and gun but it was far to easy to die
Keep in mind it's all physics based. My friend who was hiding in cover the whole game simply shot under the heavies' helmet and struck an artery in his neck. One and done.

Zeliard

The most effective way to use shootdodge is to aim it so that it lands you behind another piece of cover.

I also shootdodged backwards quite a bit and finished off enemies while prone.

All I kept thinking while playing, though, was how much more enjoyable this game will be with a mouse, heh.

madmackem

Just finished it, first rockstar to live up to the hype since vice city for me. I may even say best game they have made so far for me.

Zeliard

Keep in mind it's all physics based. My friend who was hiding in cover the whole game simply shot under the heavies' helmet and struck an artery in his neck. One and done.

It's also effective to shoot heavily armored enemies in the legs, or in the ass. :>

It's useful to shoot running enemies in the knees so they'll fall forward, where they'll be out of commission for a few seconds and you can target more dangerous enemies, or finish off those fallen enemies with headshots.

Moze

Banned
either way the difficulty really put me off the game (and im sure im not the only one) it also didnt help that the cover system and rectile were pretty bad. i can appreciate the AI and even the minor details in the game. its just the difficulty and somewhat clunky gameplay ruined it for me

overall i would give it about 6.5/10

I am honestly not very good at games (especially shooters, my aim is just never that good), but I fared pretty well on my medium run; I don't think there was any one area that I had to retry more than nine or ten times. Using bullet time whenever possible (even if just for a second) and disabling it as soon as I got the kill, going for headshots only (free aim is a must), using painkillers appropriately (instead of waiting for them to trigger automatically), etc. are all things that helped. I can't believe how many reviewers commented on how hard of a game this was on medium — I thought it felt just right. The additional painkillers that you get make it a breeze in some areas that you're likely to die a lot, too.

YUP

Lima

This game shows what is wrong with this industry and many gamers.

People apparently don't like to be challenged in games anymore. And that is just sad.

Raziel

This game shows what is wrong with this industry and many gamers.

People apparently don't like to be challenged in games anymore. And that is just sad.
gamers are fine with being challenged - see demons/dark souls.

it more shows whats wrong with rockstar - that is being unable to make third person controls that arent clunky.

vatstep

gamers are fine with being challenged - see demons/dark souls.

it more shows whats wrong with rockstar - that is being unable to make third person controls that arent clunky.
I hate the controls in GTA4 (still haven't played RDR), but I thought they were excellent in MP3. I never once felt like I was fighting with my controller.

Top Bottom