• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Muskweeto

My first and only experience with multiplayer:

Walk a few steps forward, get shot to death, get disconnected.

Damn.

You.

Inter.

Net.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah, I was hoping Latin America counted as NA and it'd be activated on Steam now. 35gigs to download, I might be able to squeeze a MP2 playthrough in that time...

Sethos

Banned
Well, getting my PC on Tuesday next week. Can't wait to double dip and get the PC version. Can't max it since I'll only have a 560ti, but I get my kb/m that I'm used to for MP since I played the first 2 on PC. Also.... MODS!!!!

Yeah, don't get your hopes up considering they are using IronWrap, it's like a big ass chastity belt.

Sethos

Banned
This was apparently added during the night to the Steam registry

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/14867

Probably doesn't mean a thing, maybe an indication of a preload - Tonight?

Oh and they don't even have a date yet :p

n3WNn.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys, been waiting for Mp3 for a long time now but I've been avoiding ( or rather not caring about ) reviews and haven't read through the entire thread.

With that said, what is the general gaf consensus of the game? I'm a big fan of mp1 and 2, which are some of my favorite games of all time and I have very high hopes with regards to the gameplay of mp3.

Gui_PT

Hey guys, been waiting for Mp3 for a long time now but I've been avoiding ( or rather not caring about ) reviews and haven't read through the entire thread.

With that said, what is the general gaf consensus of the game? I'm a big fan of mp1 and 2, which are some of my favorite games of all time and I have very high hopes with regards to the gameplay of mp3.

It's tough to say.

A lot of people dislike it. A lot of people love it (like I do)

Just don't go into the game expecting to see a max payne 2 copy. They've made changes, but for the better, imo

Tokubetsu

As a massive Max fan (I am actually still using the mouse pad that came with Max Payne), I was totally ready to hate this even as much as I love R* this generation. I love it. As the poster above me said, it's different but good. I rented it on 360, been in love with the multiplayer for a couple days now and just bought the PC version.

Seeing everyone in the high 20s and 30s just reminds me of RDR free roam and the 'Carcano syndrome' that everyone got at the higher levels. It's irritating because the core game is fun, but it can get spoiled by some top heavy weapon unlocks. Everything at levels 20 and 40 is just insane, too - especially when it takes so long to unlock even the basic attachments. You're running around completely vanilla a lot of the time against gold-plated bullet-time sniper rifle users.

Also, is it me or are the spawns a little hokey in Gang Wars?

Tokubetsu

Seeing everyone in the high 20s and 30s just reminds me of RDR free roam and the 'Carcano syndrome' that everyone got at the higher levels. It's irritating because the core game is fun, but it can get spoiled by some top heavy weapon unlocks. Everything at levels 20 and 40 is just insane, too - especially when it takes so long to unlock even the basic attachments. You're running around completely vanilla a lot of the time against gold-plated bullet-time sniper rifle users.

I just hate it when you join a game, and everyone is using RPGs.

I got matched against 30's and 40's the last time I played and kinda felt the same way. The Bull and high rank sniper rifles are pretty crazy. And players starting with RPG's are damn annoying. It was an explosive fest followed by what felt like one shot kills anywhere on the body. Did not like. If that's what high rank matches will consist of...yikes.

Gui_PT

I expected the multiplayer to be like that. RDR was the same way.

This unlock abilities/weapons and whatnot as you level up just doesn't work. It's horribly unbalanced, as are the weapons and loadouts which kind of ruins the experience.

You can tell this would be much more fun and enjoyable if everyone just had the same choices

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Atleast you can pick up their weapons with any attachments though so that is a plus. Also quite a few of the perks can benefit the rest of your team when the level 2 and 3.

For the record though, I'm currently level 22 and I am still using a perk that was unlocked very early and level 2 of that perk doesn't unlock till 27. As for the weapons I'm using, all vanilla unlocks and have been since I started playing online. It is a very balanced game but can come down to various facors like your skill or how cheap the opposition is. =)

Yeah, I don't really understand why they made progression so slow in the multiplayer; it's one of the reasons I've kind of stopped playing it.

Linch

Neo Member
I can't be the only one who finds multiplayer incredibly frustrating?

The spawn system is utter crap. Bullet lag, character handles terrible at times. Sometimes my character keeps walking in one direction, even though im holding it in the other, it just doesn't register. It's not smooth. The damage of some guns is ridiculous, and many times I've spawned to be shot straight from behind.

Literally at my boiling point with the MP today. I had been enjoying it, and was able to accept that maybe I wasn't good at it. But quite frankly it's more than that, being match made when im level 9, with people who are level 40 with golden silenced scoped AK's and so on is just plain unfair.

Rockstar need to fix some of this crap.

Yeah, I don't really understand why they made progression so slow in the multiplayer; it's one of the reasons I've kind of stopped playing it.

Yeah, I might stop at 20 right now. Thinking about waiting for the co-op pack sometime this year. But I do wanna level up the sniper rifle a little more to show those FUCKING ASSHOLE SNIPERS that it doesn't take any skill to rack up kills with a 1 hit kill weapon!! Hahaha. I even invite them to a private match afterwards. The people that join end up getting owned when they use any other guns.

MMaRsu

My first and only experience with multiplayer:

Walk a few steps forward, get shot to death, get disconnected.

Damn.

You.

Inter.

Net.

It wasnt your internet, this games MP is unstable as fuck, especially on Ps3. Although I had some good games last night.

Not very true imo.. I mean come on I'm lvl 29.

Montresor

Now I'm going for attempt #2 at New York Minute Hardcore. Hopefully I get lucky.

edit: That ended quick. I shot Giovanna in Chapter 2. Lol.... =(

Marleyman

Banned
I can't be the only one who finds multiplayer incredibly frustrating?

The spawn system is utter crap. Bullet lag, character handles terrible at times. Sometimes my character keeps walking in one direction, even though im holding it in the other, it just doesn't register. It's not smooth. The damage of some guns is ridiculous, and many times I've spawned to be shot straight from behind.

Literally at my boiling point with the MP today. I had been enjoying it, and was able to accept that maybe I wasn't good at it. But quite frankly it's more than that, being match made when im level 9, with people who are level 40 with golden silenced scoped AK's and so on is just plain unfair.

Rockstar need to fix some of this crap.

You are not alone.

You are not alone.

I haven't really had a problem the first couple days. But....the last couple I have been experiencing some lag in matches. The sort that didn't have players jumping around a level, but where I would shoot someone a bunch of times and it would register till like 5 seconds later. Really weird.

Bad spawns are just expected. Every game seems to have them. Would be nice to choose team members to spectate and then can spawn on.

pa22word

Preload coming soon it seems:

^I can say from experience with preloading on steam that when the .exe icon pops up on the store page, the preload is soon to be available.

Plus the guys over on the Steam forums say the registry files for all versions of Max Payne have been updated.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
with people who are level 40 with golden silenced scoped AK's and so on is just plain unfair.

I'm not sure which gun the scoped AK is, don't recall seeing it, but the gold skins are unlocked in SP and that's all they are, skins. As for weapon attachments, they're unlocked based on the amount of kills with said weapon. When you look at the weapons in the Custom Loadouts it will tell you what level the gun is on the right by the arrow and when you press Square/X to modify the gun it will tell you what level each piece unlocks.

It's no slower than any other game with leveling. After a week I am level 21, granted I got the game a week after release and I certainly didn't jump into the multi like MMaRsu who leveled up quite quickly.

It wasnt your internet, this games MP is unstable as fuck, especially on Ps3. Although I had some good games last night.

Man it sounds like I have been quite lucky, apart from the first day where it kept sticking me in lobbies on my own, I can count on one hand how many times I have had connection issues/dropped from the game. It's been very stable for me and I have seen minimal lag which is very surprising considering NZ has to connect overseas for most console games. I think I've seen two or three players lagging over the last week and half.

bidaum

I'll be interested to hear how this plays on PC. I played the first two on PC and loved them, but this one I got for XBOX and I've gotten pretty frustrated in parts. In many ways it feels to me like I'm playing a PC game on a console. Someone earlier mentioned running around corners and getting blasted; feels to me very similar to Doom 3's monster closets. Because the field of view is lower; I have to run in and then turn to see what's up. I usually turn aim assist off in shooters, but for this I had to put it on soft-lock. I also had to set it for weapon specific reticle, because I had trouble finding the dot. I bet the gameplay feels completely different on PC, but on console it's like I'm gimped by the system.

Gui_PT

JB1981 please don't be mad but I just played through that rooftop part you've been complaining about.

I got through it on my 1st try without any painkillers.

MMaRsu

Gen X, have you partied up with people? That's when I have the most problems like console freezes. The worst is when Im in the middle of the game and everything is running great, I could even be in first place ( deathmatch is mostly what I play ) and I will just be booted from the fucking game with no reason. I have no connection problems, it's the shitty matchmaking/netcode.

Uhm did they remove time played from the multiplayer stats? Last time I checked it was over 13 hours and by then I was like lvl 18 or something? Or 20 maybe.

Spookie

Less than 46 Hours to go and no pre-load, on a 30GB AAA Game

interesting decision.

Whelp. I calculated it's going to take me 34 hours to download the entire game so even if they released it now I wouldn't have it for release. Got to love the UK and it's utterly decrepit, dog shit broadband speeds. Though I can't totally blame BT for being vastly incompetent and not getting my exchange out of the stone age. Valve/Rockstar are morons for thinking it was a good idea not to do a preload on a 30gb file.

I guess I'll be going the pub instead of playing MP3 on launch then. :/

Stitch

Gold Member
Whelp. I calculated it's going to take me 34 hours to download the entire game so even if they released it now I wouldn't have it for release.
And when the download is done Steam has to decrypt all the files. aaww yeah that will be fun...

Still no pre-load........NOOOOOOOOOO!!

Michelle_Payne_Dead.jpg

Fuck, I just realized that it also has to decrypt the 32GB file too......crap. This shit needed to pre-load like 2 weeks ago.

I've been having issues on the
end? of the C4 level where the building explodes if you aren't fast enough.
I start off with only 1 painkiller and end up getting more after dying. But usually after 3-5 tries, I get a no sound and/or freeze glitch and have to restart (losing the additional painkillers). Any advice?

I've been having issues on the
end? of the C4 level where the building explodes if you aren't fast enough.
I start off with only 1 painkiller and end up getting more after dying. But usually after 3-5 tries, I get a no sound and/or freeze glitch and have to restart (losing the additional painkillers). Any advice?

Go to the chapter select and load from the checkpoint before.

Sethos

Banned
Whelp. I calculated it's going to take me 34 hours to download the entire game so even if they released it now I wouldn't have it for release. Got to love the UK and it's utterly decrepit, dog shit broadband speeds. Though I can't totally blame BT for being vastly incompetent and not getting my exchange out of the stone age. Valve/Rockstar are morons for thinking it was a good idea not to do a preload on a 30gb file.

I guess I'll be going the pub instead of playing MP3 on launch then. :/

Plus you have to add in the hammered Steam servers. Even me on a fast connection probably won't even see 20% of its maximum speed. Another reason why they should have done this earlier, to ease the hit on the servers.

What's funny is the Steam registry for Max Payne is constantly updating and changing, they recently added 500MB to the main data file making it 29GB, adding the .exe, adding some DLC verification etc. so they basically aren't done and are still adding files.

Can already see me sitting here, scratching my ass and everyone who ordered the retail version will be playing, especially with the unlock(s) happening around dinner time here in Europe - What the fuck is up with that?

Top Bottom