• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

KU_

Finished up the story today. Another excellent product from Rockstar, aside from the game crashing a few times. Some of the most fun and satisfying gameplay in any game in a long time. Hoping for a sequel.

Spookie

What's funny is the Steam registry for Max Payne is constantly updating and changing, they recently added 500MB to the main data file making it 29GB, adding the .exe, adding some DLC verification etc. so they basically aren't done and are still adding files.

The fallout is going to be apocalyptic isn't it? :(

Apocryphon

I've been having issues on the
end? of the C4 level where the building explodes if you aren't fast enough.
I start off with only 1 painkiller and end up getting more after dying. But usually after 3-5 tries, I get a no sound and/or freeze glitch and have to restart (losing the additional painkillers). Any advice?

Play the 360 version?

Spooka

JB1981 please don't be mad but I just played through that rooftop part you've been complaining about.

I got through it on my 1st try without any painkillers.

I wish JB would record some video of himself playing the game, it would have to be fairly hilarious. He claims it took him 50 tries to get through that part. After 10 tries I'm sure he would of had a ton of pain killers.

Actually, I just went and looked it up - on medium difficulty if you continue dying you can get up to 9 extra painkillers... Every three deaths you get an extra. There is no way anyone is that bad, I'm starting to think JB just wants attention.

Apocryphon

I wish JB would record some video of himself playing the game, it would have to be fairly hilarious. He claims it took him 50 tries to get through that part. After 10 tries I'm sure he would of had a ton of pain killers.

Actually, I just went and looked it up - on medium difficulty if you continue dying you can get up to 9 extra painkillers... Every three deaths you get an extra. There is no way anyone is that bad, I'm starting to think JB just wants attention.

It took me forever. But I played on hard, with free aim. The difference between medium and hard is insane... but hard is the way everybody should be experiencing the game.

Gui_PT

It took me forever. But I played on hard, with free aim. The difference between medium and hard is insane... but hard is the way everybody should be experiencing the game.

My second playthrough was on Hard. It was easier. Guess because I knew what to expect already ( I refuse to play with anything other than free aim)

badyu17

Multiplayer is very good when I'm playing with people from same region/continent, the difference is really unreal otherwise, one game can be "when I see someone I'm dead" type of game and the game after that can be "everything I shoot I kill" it's a shame there is no region option in the menu. Also, I don't understand why is a lot of weapon and gear to unlock at either level 20 and 40 and nothing in between?

Spooka

Yeah, I agree that hard is the way to go. Maybe I lucked out but I made it through the rooftop battle on my second try on hard and my first death was getting caught off guard by the guy on the steps. Once I made it up the steps I killed the MG guy first try. So I was surprised it was that difficult for JB1981 on normal. Also, I'm (somewhat) friends with JB and like to harass him a bit.

Either he is playing the game completely wrong or maybe that spot can be bugged? Noticed scott32020 saying he was having problems in that exact spot. So maybe JB didn't have a ton of painkillers after all. Regardless - on normal it's still pretty easy. I'm guessing JB doesn't shoot dodge enough.

Gui_PT

Yeah, I agree that hard is the way to go. Maybe I lucked out but I made it through the rooftop battle on my second try on hard and my first death was getting caught off guard by the guy on the steps. Once I made it up the steps I killed the MG guy first try. So I was surprised it was that difficult for JB1981 on normal. Also, I'm (somewhat) friends with JB and like to harass him a bit.

Either he is playing the game completely wrong or maybe that spot can be bugged? Noticed scott32020 saying he was having problems in that exact spot. So maybe JB didn't have a ton of painkillers after all. Regardless - on normal it's still pretty easy. I'm guessing JB doesn't shoot dodge enough.

You know, I think people are afraid to shoot dodge in this game. Some people have certainly complained you don't get to do that enough or something like that.

I just finished it on hard and was having a tough time on the last area because I was cowering with the use of cover. Died a few times and decided to go rambo. I just use shootdodge like crazy and finish it on my 1st try.

People calling this a cover shooter do not know how to play it (not talking about JB)

JB1981

JB1981 please don't be mad but I just played through that rooftop part you've been complaining about.

I got through it on my 1st try without any painkillers.

Haha I ain't mad. I did finish the game and will try that part again, see how I do this time

And no I never respawned with more than one painkiller on that part, that I can assure you. So maybe that part is bugged on PS3.

I played on medium with free aim FYI. I wonder how different the game plays on soft lock...

willooi

Have you guys seen this Behind the Scenes article on the R* Newswire? Great read:

From NYC to São Paulo: Behind the Scenes of Max Payne 3’s Voiceover, Mo-Cap & Scanning Sessions

A few choice quotes:

maxpayne3_research_mocap.jpg

- Securing James McCaffrey to reprise his role as the signature voice of Max Payne was an early step in the casting process – one we knew would delight long-time fans of the franchise, his very voice (alongside that signature theme song cue) sparking waves of nostalgia when we unveiled the game’s Debut Trailer last fall. With a larger script than either of the previous Max titles, James spent close to 50 hours in the voiceover booth alone, working on in-game dialogue and Max Payne’s signature inner monologue.

- The game’s principal cast was directed through every story cutscene as well as stunt work needed for dynamic range of motion required for gameplay. Many sets required extensive build time with stunts and body falls from intense heights. Joining Mr. McCaffrey (who performed many of the advanced stunts himself, save for some of the more dangerous Shootdodging™ and acrobatic dives handled by pro stuntmen) was a fantastic cast of actors including Portuguese novela star Benedita Pereira who plays the Portugal-born Fabiana Branco. As seen in one of the images above, and as with any of our game’s mo-cap performance work, vast credit is due to our actors for being able to believably act out a scene taking place in a helicopter ride over the skies of São Paulo whilst actually sitting on a stage in Long Island wearing bulky and awkward capture suits.

- Separate from the voice recordings, extensive sessions were also held casting and scanning local models to serve as the faces and bodies of the game’s extras, supporting roles, and Multiplayer character skins (particularly for narrative-based game modes like Gang Wars where teams of Brazilian gangsters and soldiers face off against one another).

- Included in the casting sessions and serving as the basis of just a few of the character models you’ll see in the game were Brazilian Ju-Jitsu world champion Paulo Guimaraes, who appears both as a sniper and as a bearded foot-soldier out to take Max down; the towering Daniel Borges, who competes in vicious Vale Tudo (Portuguese for ‘anything goes’) bouts and shared his personal tactics for busting skulls (why anyone would be insane enough to get in the ring with this man-mountain is beyond us) who appears as a rifle-wielding commando; and the beautiful Sarah Ferreira, a Miss São Paulo pageant contestant who appears as a dancer in the game.

I can't be the only one who finds multiplayer incredibly frustrating?

The spawn system is utter crap. Bullet lag, character handles terrible at times. Sometimes my character keeps walking in one direction, even though im holding it in the other, it just doesn't register. It's not smooth. The damage of some guns is ridiculous, and many times I've spawned to be shot straight from behind.

Literally at my boiling point with the MP today. I had been enjoying it, and was able to accept that maybe I wasn't good at it. But quite frankly it's more than that, being match made when im level 9, with people who are level 40 with golden silenced scoped AK's and so on is just plain unfair.

Rockstar need to fix some of this crap.

The multi will be a ghost town before R* manages to fix their retarded design decisions. The spawns specifically are some of the worst I have ever encountered.

Hellix

You can start a download from Steam's website or mobile app if you have you Steam running on your computer, right? May have to start it that way tomorrow if pre-load is not up tonight.

MG310

I know I can't be the only one who did this - but using shoot dodge to slide head first down the center of the escalator in the last level definitely works like you would expect it to.

pakkit

Banned
I know I can't be the only one who did this - but using shoot dodge to slide head first down the center of the escalator in the last level definitely works like you would expect it to.

On my replay of that level in the beginning I simply went prone on the
luggage conveyer belt
and it went better than expected. Honestly, I love that last level to bits. The boss isn't anything special, but bosses in TPS are rarely a treat (exception: MDK2).

MG310

I thought the boss was okay - there's a hell of a lot going on for such a small area. Curious how you would even handle that without staying in cover the whole time.

Nope, people are that bad...trust me. I have seen people strafing super slow with the LT held in getting shot to shit and complaining that the game is so fucking cheap. Hahaha.

Btw, does Steam let you cancel preorders? I might just go pick up a retail copy of preload doesn't start tomorrow.

haikira

Steam unlock timer, just changed for me. Was a day and about 15 hours, a few minutes ago. It's now 1 days and 2 hours. Thought it was strange before, as it would have been dinner time, when it unlocked for my country. Now it'll be 5am.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Gen X, have you partied up with people? That's when I have the most problems like console freezes.

Nah, haven't partied up with anyone in the game yet. Sent out some invites once, waited, no Gaffers joined. I saw a couple of your invites yesterday or the day before but I think you sent those when it was early morning like 2am (I have my PSN+ set to come on at 2:00 for downloading updates etc. For the record, the time stamp next to this post is 14:26 so you can see the difference).

Uhm did they remove time played from the multiplayer stats? Last time I checked it was over 13 hours and by then I was like lvl 18 or something? Or 20 maybe.

Haven't seen any. Only time I remembered seeing was on the R* webpage and I assumed it was combined SP&MP since mine was up to 20hrs after my first playthrough.

Going to crank me up some action now, webpage says I'm only 0.03 away from a 1:1 K/D ratio (Although ingame Multiplayer > Crews says otherwise, that I am at 1.02 now)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just a heads-up that the OST is now up for download on Amazon (it had been an iTunes exclusive for the past week). I can't decide which I love more, the game or the album!

greenry

Steam unlock timer, just changed for me. Was a day and about 15 hours, a few minutes ago. It's now 1 days and 2 hours. Thought it was strange before, as it would have been dinner time, when it unlocked for my country. Now it'll be 5am.

They move up the release but no pre-load now?

Never mind. The rockstar support twitter is saying they will make an announcement about the pre-load "tonight".

Sethos

Banned

Oh fuck yeah! Can actually play it all day tomorrow then, sweet.

However the lacking preload is even more worrying now. Starting to smell more like they aren't able to do a preload and just bumped up the release date.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just beat the game again on hard, I never do that. Was a bit more challenging but not really all that hard if you approach each firefight with some brains. I don't get the complaints about the checkpoints, they were very frequent and almost always before a major firefight. I think they was 1 or 2 checkpoints that I didn't like.

Just finished it. Started on hard/soft lock, quickly realized soft lock was ruining the game, switched to free aim, and played on medium, which was just the right amount of difficulty for me.

Great game. Not at RDR level, but good controls, awesomely cheesy dialogue, great music, decent story.

Minor grudge - i wish there was less of an incentive to cover/shoot, and more to go gun blazing. But you can still manage to be aggressive, just does not always feels like the game was designed around it (especially since bullet time reloads when you cover- i would have made it deplete :) ).

Montresor

I just died in Ch.11 in NYM Hardcore. FUCK. And for the stupidest reason. I played the canal/walkway section on the boat in the dumbest way possible and wasted all my painkillers.

I'll try again tomorrow.

CTE

You wouldn't happen to be joshua1581 on twitter would you?

Hah. I don't have a twitter account, though. I'm in Canada and have it prepaid(PC) and a copy of the 360 version so i'm good. I just feel sorry for people waiting so damn long to play this when others have been enjoying it for weeks now.

Top Bottom