• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

thuway

I shudder to think how my lowly GTX 460m laptop will handle this monstrosity. My shallow and fabricated dreams of 60 fps, 1600X945p, and Very high are pie in the sky.

Spayro

Oh wow, they made the release 12 hours earlier because of the pre-load fuck up?
eh, won't be able to play it until sunday evening anyway. I need this game in my life :(

geebee

Banned
Max Payne wearing
white flip-flops in the ending
pissed me off. Other than that, the game is definitely my favorite this year.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Max Payne wearing
white flip-flops in the ending
pissed me off. Other than that, the game is definitely my favorite this year.
People have a hilarious obsession with Max's fashion choices. People went apoplectic when the dude shaved his head.

Gui_PT

I thought the boss was okay - there's a hell of a lot going on for such a small area. Curious how you would even handle that without staying in cover the whole time.

You know those 4 our 5 luggage carts you are using for cover when you gain control of max?

You can shoot dodge to get 3 or 4 kills and when you land you're behind the carts so they can't hit you. Press square(on the 360) and he'll go into cover instead of standing up all the way

Anyone used Max's beach outfit in the arcade mode? Pretty funny fighting through a bar of mafioso in your flip flops.

Also, has anyone ever accidentally shootdodged off the yacht in Ch11? Happened to me once after just about getting through one of the harder parts on my first playthrough :/

I started playing through this again on hard and it's like a fine wine. I'm totally attuned to the way you're meant to play it, and it actually feels easier as a result. Playing through it again knowing what you know, it's fascinating to be able to pick up on the nuances of character that are displayed in the cutscenes that apparently lack the aforementioned trait.

Looking at the EDGE thread, it seems like this is just par for the course. MP3 got bashed for being too conservative, but other places (and some Gaffers) have knocked it for being too much of a departure from previous entries. To me, it sounds like a lot of reviewers need to get more acquainted with what 'noir' is.

It lacks some of the hilarious moments from the other games (I miss eavesdropping on conversations between enemies), but I still fucking love it. I'd put it on the same level as the previous two games, personally. Max as a character was incredibly well fleshed out, though the antagonists felt underdeveloped, especially disappointing considering how great Vlad was as the villain in MP2.

I'll keep this brief as honestly my ADD prohibits me from doing the full-on epic review

Basically, Max Payne 3 is, like I'd hoped, my all time favorite 3rd person shooter. Definitely my favorite in the series and one the best experiences I've had this gen if not ever in gaming. Max Payne 3 is my childhood dreams of CYF/John Woo films FINALLY full realized in a game with all the techinical/artistic execution needed to pull it off. I've played SO MANY cover based shooters over the years with the intent in the back of my mind to replicate all of those sequences in films I adored as a kid. I FINALLY got to do that here.

It's one of the coolest fucking games i've ever played. That's right, fucking cool. Gun-fights look and feel amazing and all the complaining in the press about Max taking too much cover, well you're playing it WRONG. Cover is a modifier but you can never rely on it and, if you play accordingly, you're awared with a full adreneline meter, two full-auto glocks, and plenty of opportunity to live out a matrix lobby fantasy.

It also feels like it's Rockstar's most play-tested title with moments of Valveness coming out because set pieces flow so well. The
last gun battle throughout the airport is fucking class through and through

I'm STILL processing this game but yeah, like many others, I IMMEDIATELY wanted to play through it again when I was finished.

MP3 is truly special and fuck all the press and anyone else who doesn't "get it" or is not up a freaking challenge.
I NEVER got stucked or fustrated like so many out there. I just understood the rules early on and rolled it with it

10/10

I.LOVE.IT

I started playing through this again on hard and it's like a fine wine. I'm totally attuned to the way you're meant to play it, and it actually feels easier as a result. Playing through it again knowing what you know, it's fascinating to be able to pick up on the nuances of character that are displayed in the cutscenes that apparently lack the aforementioned trait.

Looking at the EDGE thread, it seems like this is just par for the course. MP3 got bashed for being too conservative, but other places (and some Gaffers) have knocked it for being too much of a departure from previous entries. To me, it sounds like a lot of reviewers need to get more acquainted with what 'noir' is.

And reviewers need to just get better at games....SERIOUSLY.

Sethos

Banned
Sigh fuck me... now my OCD won't let me buy the game jeeez.

"No, NO, you can't buy it, it was a much better deal just the other day, don't do it"

*Being a dick and reminds you of us early birds who got both MP1, 2 and L.A Noire*

Available: 1 June 2012
This game will unlock in approximately 14 hours

Woo!

Sethos

Banned
Some soundtrack works in- and outside of games, some only works with games. The MP3 soundtrack isn't something I'd listen to for enjoyment.

Tokubetsu

Some soundtrack works in- and outside of games, some only works with games. The MP3 soundtrack isn't something I'd listen to for enjoyment.

Yeah. Not a really negative dig against it. It's a great score, but it's not as exciting ouside of the game.

Kinyou

Have you guys seen this Behind the Scenes article on the R* Newswire? Great read:

From NYC to São Paulo: Behind the Scenes of Max Payne 3’s Voiceover, Mo-Cap & Scanning Sessions

A few choice quotes:
Pretty nice read. Amazing what work went into the cutscenes and voice acting.

Though I can't shake the feeling that Rockstar somehow dismisses it voice actor cast a little. I mean it took foooorever and I mean foooooooorever for the cast too appear during the credits. And then there was also this story about that guy who played Nico in GTA 4 who complained that he wasn't paid enough.

I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to love or hate Rockstar.

btw. Is there a way to
get translated subtitles for the Portuguese dialogue? It's great for the atmosphere to be equally in the dark about what people are saying as Max, but for my second playthrough I'd really like to know what they're sometimes saying. lol

Tokubetsu

Pretty nice read. Amazing what work went into the cutscenes and voice acting.

Though I can't shake the feeling that Rockstar somehow dismisses it voice actor cast a little. I mean it took foooorever and I mean foooooooorever for the cast too appear during the credits. And then there was also this story about that guy who played Nico in GTA 4 who complained that he wasn't paid enough.

I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to love or hate Rockstar.

btw. Is there a way to
get translated subtitles for the Portuguese dialogue? It's great for the atmosphere to be equally in the dark about what people are saying as Max, but for my second playthrough I'd really like to know what they're sometimes saying. lol

No there isn't. I'm told it's a lot of cursing though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pre-load is now available for Steam users.

Wat? no. still says "not yet released"

*restarting steam*

55555dzuxq.png

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liamario

Banned
Game has arrived. 4 discs. Looks like i'm going to have to buy a new hard drive due to lack of space caused by steam's awesomeness. Will update with performance impressions.

I remember someone linked to an article saying that R* was considering releasing a patch to add a translation option for the Portuguese dialogue. That'd be great, if true.

Enco

Fucking finally.

Servers are screwed though.

edit: got in. 1.6 MB/s and 5 hours

Screw you blahblah and your fast internet.

MMaRsu

Aww this sucks for you guys.. Is it possible to create a PC thread for Max Payne 3? I mean.. I don't want to see this thread turn into an amalgamation of system specs etc.

Sethos

Banned
Aww this sucks for you guys.. Is it possible to create a PC thread for Max Payne 3? I mean.. I don't want to see this thread turn into an amalgamation of system specs etc.

Oh please, now we've seen nothing but console jerking for two weeks and when a tiny shred of PC relevant happens we just need to scoot off?

This is the OT for the game, deal with it.

Enco

How is my connection so slow or how is it going so fast?

I think I'm lucky that I'm maxing my connection. Guessing UK servers are less busy.

If you mean why is my connection so slow, that's pretty speedy. Especially here in the UK and in the area I'm in right now.

Top Bottom