• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MMaRsu

Haha I ain't mad. I did finish the game and will try that part again, see how I do this time

And no I never respawned with more than one painkiller on that part, that I can assure you. So maybe that part is bugged on PS3.

I played on medium with free aim FYI. I wonder how different the game plays on soft lock...

Did you select retry checkpoint from the start menu or did you retry after dying? You only get painkillers if you select retry, if you retry checkpoint it will put you back to when you originally got there so no extra painkillers.

I just got past that part last night on hard, it took me a few tries but when I read on gaf that there are painkillers in that little room after the stairs it was fucking easy breezy. Didnt even know that on my first playthrough haha.

Oh please, now we've seen nothing but console jerking for two weeks and when a tiny shred of PC relevant happens we just need to scoot off?

This is the OT for the game, deal with it.

Wow wow wow wow wow dont get mad now Sethos. I'm just saying in a lot of pc game threads I see just pages of no discussion but technical discussion and that's really not that interesting to read. I'm just wondering if a thread can be created for the PC technical side.

jYI7Q.jpg

When does it unlock? :)

Sethos

Banned
Anyone in Europe / Scandinavia with shitty speeds, try out the London server. Went from 2-300 kb/s to 9MB/s, peaked at 13MB/s moments ago and dips at 5.

MMaRsu

Just unconnect from the internet, use a nocd crack and when it unlocks put back the original exe? Or is that similar to pirating something? Probably not right..

That's what I would do if I really wanted to play this :p.

Aw yeah, preloaded. Can't wait to see this baby in all it's glory, and the way it's meant to be played... with a motherfucking mouse!!!

Headshots won't be a problem anymore!

-tosses PS3 copy out window

Sethos

Banned
Finally done with the pre-load. Now I just need to head off to bed early and get up at 6, make a cup of tea and some breakfast then I'm ready to dodge some bullets.

You bought the game twice?

Now that's some determination.

Yeah, my original plan was to rent the PS3 version while waiting for the PC version, but I had the opportunity to buy the game a few days before release (NYC mom & pops) and I couldn't resist. It's not determination, it's weakness. :(

pakkit

Banned
God damn, the unlocks at Rank 40 in multiplayer are such concentrated bullshit. You've got people who know exactly where you are on the map with 1-shot kill sniper rifles, or bazookas. Rockstar obviously doesn't know what balancing is.

MMaRsu

God damn, the unlocks at Rank 40 in multiplayer are such concentrated bullshit. You've got people who know exactly where you are on the map with 1-shot kill sniper rifles, or bazookas. Rockstar obviously doesn't know what balancing is.

The rpg's, grenade launchers and 1 shot sniper rifles are fucking retarded.

Nekrono

Anyone know how the PC NeoGAF crew is going to be handled when PC unlocks tonight?

The OT says the GAF Crew is for all platforms but I only see 360 and PS3.

MMaRsu

That does not mean it's not bullshit though. If you have the physical copy I mean why the hell should you be denied to play it? Pretty lol worthy.

badyu17

OMG, those heavy armored guys with helmets, I struggled to put them down when I played first time, now it's piss easy, why, because the groin shots are there for a reason, it's their weak point, much more efficient than headshot. With headshots you sometimes first hit their helmet and lose time. Even at long distance I managed to aim at the center of the silhouette between legs and there you go, they drop and don't get up ever again. For me this is probably the best shooter of this year :)

I've already replayed this a lot, but the attention to detail is still pretty staggering. From the way Max's clothes in certain missions get more and more sweaty, or dirty as you roll on the ground, to how the slide on his gun will be locked back in a cutscene if it was empty going in. Hell, it's one of the few third person games out there with properly animated reloading animations. I mean shit, compare it with GTA 4, which just had Niko miming when you pressed the reload button.

I like how using different skins in arcade mode actually kinda mesh well with the cutscenes generally. In Hoboken, if you use a skin that has a shoulder holster, your guns will appear in them during cutscenes, for example. Great stuff.

Should be done in time, just started my download. I hope this huge file size isn't an indicator of lack of giving a fuck yet again from Rockstar on pc ports. But I heard LA Noire was fairly decent on PC, so who knows.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Played some Payne killer on PS3 last night and was straight beastin'.

Also got grouped up with a random NGAF crew member. I showed him how it's done by winning 3 straight and calling them wins during the lobby lol.

Blizzard

Banned
They just want to make sure the immense amounts of people playing the multiplayer all get the same start. No unfair advantages!
Assuming it's because of Steamworks, Steamworks means 100% no prerelease piracy if done properly, and letting physical copies unlock earlier would completely negate that. Steam offline mode needs to be better, but I'm happy with no prerelease piracy and no always-online DRM (contrasted with Diablo 3). Seems like a fair compromise to me.

(someone please correct me if I got any details wrong)

OMG, those heavy armored guys with helmets, I struggled to put them down when I played first time, now it's piss easy, why, because the groin shots are there for a reason, it's their weak point, much more efficient than headshot. With headshots you sometimes first hit their helmet and lose time. Even at long distance I managed to aim at the center of the silhouette between legs and there you go, they drop and don't get up ever again. For me this is probably the best shooter of this year :)

It's really that easy. When you shoot armored guys in spots with no armor, THEY DIE. Incredible. Who knew? I really have to wonder how bad people are playing to complain about the armored enemies.

Tokubetsu

Assuming it's because of Steamworks, Steamworks means 100% no prerelease piracy if done properly, and letting physical copies unlock earlier would completely negate that. Steam offline mode needs to be better, but I'm happy with no prerelease piracy and no always-online DRM (contrasted with Diablo 3). Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Matchmaking is via social club/rockstar's own shit.

Jtrizzy

This PC launch has been nothing but a huge annoyance for me. First I took off from work based on the original release date, which gets delayed for no reason. From there I decide to just get it at Gamestop tomorrow morning because my download speeds are suspect, the lack of pre load, file size, and the 30% trade in bonus for pre ordering.

I stop by gamestop to trade some games in and to see if they have it yet today, and the guy says they don't even have record that any PC copies were coming to the store, even though I have a pre order. He says to call late tomorrow after noon to check.

I just cashed in my credit for the new Steam gift cards and am it downloading now, at terrible speeds, with very little chance of it finishing before I go to sleep tonight. But hey, at least I know I'll actually be playing it tomorrow.

Thank god for Blizzard over the last two weeks, I just finished Diablo 3 yesterday, and picked up Starcraft 2 today. Otherwise there would be a lot of reading this thread and being annoyed.

I was mostly joking. I'm fully aware of why these things happen with Steam, I just don't appreciate it. If I have the game on my hard drive and it's primarily a single player experience I should be able to play it on the spot. Steam's way of doing things is an acceptable compromise but one where typically the only people who end up happy are the publishers.

Raptomex

This PC launch has been nothing but a huge annoyance for me. First I took off from work based on the original release date, which gets delayed for no reason. From there I decide to just get it at Gamestop tomorrow morning because my download speeds are suspect, the lack of pre load, file size, and the 30% trade in bonus for pre ordering.

I stop by gamestop to trade some games in and to see if they have it yet today, and the guy says they don't even have record that any PC copies were coming to the store, even though I have a pre order. He says to call late tomorrow after noon to check.

I just cashed in my credit for the new Steam gift cards and am it downloading now, at terrible speeds, with very little chance of it finishing before I go to sleep tonight. But hey, at least I know I'll actually be playing it tomorrow.

Thank god for Blizzard over the last two weeks, I just finished Diablo 3 yesterday, and picked up Starcraft 2 today. Otherwise there would be a lot of reading this thread and being annoyed.
I'll be doing that for GTA. And Rockstar seems to always delay their games.

willooi

That's too bad. Guess I gotta pick up a dictionary.

Just look out for all the times the Brazilian characters say 'caralho'...Google Translate provides a detailed range of words it could apply to:

cock: galo, torneira, pênis, caralho, válvula, macho
fuck: caralho, coito
dick: pênis, caralho, detetive, moço, colega
prick: picada, caralho, pênis, espinho, picão, ferrão
penis: pênis, caralho

So versatile!

Shawn6661

I have a request : when the game is up, can someone take 2 minutes to test if the game works in offline mode and let me know. Thanks in advance !

Gui_PT

That's too bad. Guess I gotta pick up a dictionary.

They're mainly just cursing. Saying how they're going to kill you, put a bullet up your pooper and whatnot. Usual AI talk.

I think it was a risky move to have the game be 90% portuguese but it does do its job in showing Max is completely ignorant about what's going on at all times

pakkit

Banned
They're mainly just cursing. Saying how they're going to kill you, put a bullet up your pooper and whatnot. Usual AI talk.

I think it was a risky move to have the game be 90% portuguese but it does do its job in showing Max is completely ignorant about what's going on at all times

I really like the subtitles because even though spoken Portuguese confounds me, written it's very close to Spanish, so I can basically follow what they're saying.

Gui_PT

I really like the subtitles because even though spoken Portuguese confounds me, written it's very close to Spanish, so I can basically follow what they're saying.

That's cool!

The only good portuguese dialogue is the gang talk. All the screaming and insults.

Everything else is just very robotic and english..a...nized. Yes, englishanized

Top Bottom