• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

1stStrike

Banned
god_damn_itmvkmv.jpg

I hate you guys. D:

I wants to preload too.

mudkyp

Seems like the only really reliable way to get into multiplayer games is to play in the soft lock lobby. That makes me super sad, but yet my stats go up so I guess it's a win.

1stStrike

Banned
Must be why my dl speeds have dipped to like a 1/3 of normal.

A TF2 update just released and is probably overloading the servers as well.

I finally got it to start, but speeds are abysmal. Slowest I've ever seen on steam. I usually max out my connection, but I'm at 1.2% and it keeps stalling and dropping down to 0 kb/s. Definitely not my connection as I just downloaded a 300 MB file to test it out and it was fine.

Looks like I'll be playing this around Christmas at this rate. =\

Seems like the only really reliable way to get into multiplayer games is to play in the soft lock lobby. That makes me super sad, but yet my stats go up so I guess it's a win.

There's about 400 people in free aim DM right now. I've been having a lot of fun playing by myself...

Montresor

I just died to a one-hit-kill sniper in Chapter 10 in NYM Hardcore. FUCK. WHY.

I'm not trying NYM Hardcore again until I practice the last few chapters in regular NYM a bunch of times. But thankfully I think I have Chapters 1-9 down almost perfectly. =(

Sanjuro

Just beat the game. Coming from my initial "it's only okay" standpoint after playing the game at PAX East, I was blown away. Easily my second favorite Rockstar game.

Now time to collect shit that I missed.

How is the multiplayer? Worth my time?

willooi

How is the multiplayer? Worth my time?

Multiplayer can be a lot of fun, but newcomers are at a distinct disadvantage when experienced players have unlocked higher level weapons and bursts. Helps to join a solid crew and play with these guys on your side to get started. Getting spawn-killed by a level 30+ guy with a high tier sniper rifle...not fun.

It's probably worth your while playing through the Rookie playlists at first to get used to everything and leveling up. Not sure when these Rookie lists are no longer available though...around Level 4 or 5 I'm guessing, upon which you'll have to jump into the standard comps. Also handy to practice reflex-pressing the Y/Triangle buttons for melee kills - this is crucial.

Payne Killer is my favourite mode so far mainly because of the ever-changing co-op aspect of it. Enemies one moment are allies the next, and vice versa.

Anyone try a NYM Hardcore run yet? Do you have to sit through all the damn cut scenes again? Jesus it takes forever before you can skip most of them.

Fjordson

After you PC bros get some time with it, I want impressions/purty screens. Interesting to see if R* has improved with their PC versions.

I was thinking about the story a bit more, and I have a bunch of questions for those who finished the game:

--WARNING HEAVY SPOILERS BELOW--

I realize I don't really understand what happened in the panama mission. Raul was collaborating with dimwit branco - maybe to launder some money... but it's not entirely clear if it was money from the organ traffic - was Marcello involved in the organ traffic as well? Did raul know? What the fuck was the deal with the heiress? Why did they have to murder everyone? And, though that can be explained better, if Marcello was collaborating with Victor - why did Victor kill him? It didn't feel like Marcello was actively a danger for Victor. Was Victor involved in Fabiana's abduction - if not, did he have a plan in mind for after he killed Rodrigo? You'd assume she'd be the heiress.
And since Victor was earning tons of cash with the drug traffic, why did he even bother killing his brother?

Varna

So no luck getting the game to vsync/cap at 60 FPS in DX11 mode. Can anyone just try it quickly to confirm if this is just my system?

I'm using dual 580GTXs if case anyone was wondering.

Xander51

So no luck getting the game to vsync/cap at 60 FPS in DX11 mode. Can anyone just try it quickly to confirm if this is just my system?

I'm running it in Vsync just fine on one GTX 470 in DX 11. I'm using the in-game vsync.

willooi

I was thinking about the story a bit more, and I have a bunch of questions for those who finished the game:

--WARNING HEAVY SPOILERS BELOW--

I realize I don't really understand what happened in the panama mission. Raul was collaborating with dimwit branco - maybe to launder some money... but it's not entirely clear if it was money from the organ traffic - was Marcello involved in the organ traffic as well? Did raul know? What the fuck was the deal with the heiress? Why did they have to murder everyone? And, though that can be explained better, if Marcello was collaborating with Victor - why did Victor kill him? It didn't feel like Marcello was actively a danger for Victor. Was Victor involved in Fabiana's abduction - if not, did he have a plan in mind for after he killed Rodrigo? You'd assume she'd be the heiress.
And since Victor was earning tons of cash with the drug traffic, why did he even bother killing his brother?

Several of us have touched on a few of your points over at the Spoiler Thread. We should probably continue the discussion over there, perhaps, in light of the PC players just starting their playthroughs now.

In summary, though, some thoughts:

- With Panama, that mission might just be there to simply prove that the Brancos were dirty and that the signs were right there all along for Max - he was just too out of it to notice. I assume it was laundering money, not anything to do with the organs, and I don't believe that Marcelo was in on that aspect of things.

- Raul was collaborating with the Brancos only in recruiting Max to be the fall guy for Panama...perhaps having him distract the guerilla pirates who come onboard while they got away. I don't think they expected Max to survive. Passos was even shocked by the corpses on the roof of the museum, indicating that he didn't realise just how dirty his bosses really were, willing to let all those people die in order for their practices to succeed.

- I believe that Victor had the abductions planned all along so that he could garner public sympathy for his family members being captured by the CS, upon which he could then send the UFE in to 'clean up the streets'. Rodrigo controlled the family's wealth, but Victor needed the cash to fund his political aspirations. Serrano had been duped into thinking that abducting Fabiana would just end when they received the random money...but then Victor hijacks the deal, takes the money, betrays Serrano by then turning around to say that the CS need to be wiped out BECAUSE they have Fabiana, and then profits off the organ harvesting as the CP and UFE work together in exchanging cash for people. Killing Marcelo was just the final excuse he had lined up, as in 'my own brother was a victim of a ritualistic gang slaying'

- Ultimately, Serrano, Max, Passos, Fabiana, even Rodrigo and Marcelo were just tools used by Victor in his lust for power.

JohngPR

Try restarting your PC. It can't hurt at this point.

Teknoman

Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
4GB ram
Radeon HD 4870 2GB

Should be able to squeak by since i'll probably just be playing with AF at 4X, 1440x900, and everything else on high (probably without AO since I usually end up turning that off/it ends up being a performance hog in most games). At any rate it should still look and play better than the console versions.

Now to figure out if I want to just grab the retail box or steam...

Sethos

Banned
I'm already going out of my mind with the number of cutscenes. Can't even open a single door in the game without it being accompanied by a cutscene longer then the actual gameplay leading up to it. Whenever the cutscene ends, it always places you in some shitty situation with enemies all around you. This game isn't hard by normal game standards, like requiring thinking, planning and executing to overcome the hard obstacles - The game just puts you at a shitty disadvantage constantly and then you just need to jump around like a motherfucker hitting everyone. Everything else about the game is fantastic.

Alxjn

I'm already going out of my mind with the number of cutscenes. Can't even open a single door in the game without it being accompanied by a cutscene longer then the actual gameplay leading up to it. Whenever the cutscene ends, it always places you in some shitty situation with enemies all around you. This game isn't hard by normal game standards, like requiring thinking, planning and executing to overcome the hard obstacles - The game just puts you at a shitty disadvantage constantly and then you just need to jump around like a motherfucker hitting everyone. Everything else about the game is fantastic.

I agree. The game takes the reins away from the player far to frequently. It can be really irritating, which sucks because, like you said, everything else is incredible.

Jb

Will be downloaded in about 6 hours. Plannin on going through Hard on my first run, thoughts?

Good choice. I imagine free aim is on by default on PC, so you shouldn't have too much trouble headshotting 4 dudes in a row. My biggest advice for this game is to plan in advance how you're going to clear a room before executing that plan. Shootdodging head first in a room isn't going to cut it.

Salsa

Game is pretty tough, medium will be fine for a first run.

Hard seems to be good for most games designed for consoles in mind since we have the extra accuracy..

then again, I dont wanna be bothered with having to constantly use cover as a resource (I hear you already do a bunch of that with the game as is).. I'll play the first 15 min and see

Zeliard

Hard should be fine on PC since you aren't handicapped by the control input. Use shootdodge to your advantage as it doesn't require bullettime even if you're at 0; if you're going to use it and still leave several enemies alive, try to land yourself behind cover so you aren't owned when prone. If there are only a couple enemies left you can take them out while prone.

If you stay behind cover for too long, enemies will start to aggressively flank you, and they can occasionally shoot through your cover. Blind shooting from cover is very effective - especially with a shotgun - for taking out enemies who are running towards you to flush you out.

Biggest tip I can bestow is that shootdodging is still mighty and you want to use it to your advantage. Lots of people feel they have to stick behind cover almost the whole time since Max is so vulnerable, but particularly on PC with a mouse, shootdodging is hugely effective in taking out scores of enemies with headshots. Just be careful about where you land and who's around you. Make sure you aren't shootdodging into an object like a wall or you'll bounce off and your bulletime will end.

Shootdodge through windows for maximum awesomeness.

Hard seems to be good for most games designed for consoles in mind since we have the extra accuracy..

then again, I dont wanna be bothered with having to constantly use cover as a resource (I hear you already do a bunch of that with the game as is).. I'll play the first 15 min and see

Hard will be good for PC (I beat it on Hard on PS3) but this isn't your typical console game, where Medium is basically Easy. It doesn't really play around.

When I get it on PC I'm gonna try to unlock Hardcore immediately. Hopefully there are ways to do that.

Top Bottom