• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

So I could only play for a half hour or so, but let me just say that (a) the cut scene 'style' is fucking annoying, (b) pushing the bad guy out of the nightclub window and going down with him into the main room was one of the coolest things ever.

I think I found my twin. That nightclub scene was the first time I thought to myself, "alright, this game is pretty cool." And yes, the distortion effects used in the cutscenes are fucking annoying.

JoeBoy101

Loving the game so far, even if Max as a bodyguard is working out poorly. Framerate has been a bit unstable, but I'm running it 1680x1050 with 4xAA and all other settings at max except for shadow quality and FXAA. And still its very playable. About 35-40 frames even in heavy action.

Sethos

Banned
Loving the game so far, even if Max as a bodyguard is working out poorly. Framerate has been a bit unstable, but I'm running it 1680x1050 with 4xAA and all other settings at max except for shadow quality and FXAA. And still its very playable. About 35-40 frames even in heavy action.

Use FXAA instead of MSAA if you can't keep the framerate. MSAA is extremely taxing.

Getting 30fps at 1080p on what is undeniably a low-end computer nowadays (i3 3.2 Ghz, ATI HD 5670 512MB), gonna try to fiddle with the settings tomorrow to get it running a bit smoother.

Derrick01

Banned
Ehh well that's your own fault. That's basically what Max Payne 1 and two were also. What exactly are you saying here, that you did not like those games either?

Never played them. I keep giving Rockstar a chance this gen because they were my favorite developer last gen but they're 0-3 now (4 if you count LA Noire). This game is pretty much everything I hate about modern games/shooters.

I'll beat it because it's kind of short but I don't see what people see in this game, just slo mo diving in every room. Then again I find myself saying that for every Rockstar game this generation.

Raptomex

Yeah, not everyones gonna be satisfied but this is a game where you shoot people, and sometimes you do it in slow motion. That's the whole game. Thats what all the trailers were about, and thats what the previous two games were about.
Right on the money. I don't get all the complaints. The trailers showed it off and the original games did it this way. It's a third person shooter. You shoot bad guys, sometimes in slow motion. It's always been like that. I don't expect it to change.

JohngPR

Never played them. I keep giving Rockstar a chance this gen because they were my favorite developer last gen but they're 0-3 now (4 if you count LA Noire). This game is pretty much everything I hate about modern games/shooters.

I'll beat it because it's kind of short but I don't see what people see in this game, just slo mo diving in every room. Then again I find myself saying that for every Rockstar game this generation.

0-3? Even Red Dead Redemption? Ok, I think I've heard everything I need to hear.

:p

I'm on Chapter V now and still enjoying it a lot. I don't get the people that say this doesn't feel like a Max Payne game to them because for me, it really does. It's still very much the same gameplay found in the first 2.

I only use the cover mechanic when I'm low on pain killers and need to be careful.

Good lord man....you might as well step away from any Rockstar game then. I have loved all of their games this gen.

iNvid02

afterburner and fraps supposedly showing incorrect fps, i thought it was an issue with vsync not working but it's definitely those monitoring programs showing the wrong fps count

Derrick01

Banned
Good lord man....you might as well step away from any Rockstar game then. I have loved all of their games this gen.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, they've lost what made their games special anyway.

I have GTA 5 preordered, what's one more chance? lol

MormaPope

Banned
In Multiplayer the RPG is fantastic for any objective rounds in Gang Wars, it's the perfect weapon to clear a cap zone or to flush out campers. Extremely satisfying getting multi-kills with it also.

Dual wielding the PT92's and having the RPG in the same class makes the game really easy, you basically become a really fast and light tank.

Also I'm deathpill00 on the Rockstar Social Club, been waiting to post on Gaf for a few months now.

Raptomex

Amazon. I just looked and they're still available for preorder. At least they have the buttons there on the game page.
I'm really waiting to see what the preorder bonuses are but I usually just preorder at GameStop. When it comes to GTA, I think I'll be getting V across all platforms available day 1. I may just preorder the PS3 version online and keep it unopened.

ZeroRay

Since I haven't played MP in more than a week, I left the gang.

Gonna trade the PS3 version in and get it on PC down the line. Max Payne just doesn't feel right to me with a controller. :/

My only issue is being unable to skip cutscenes until the game decides it's finished loading. Aside from that, I could shoot fools in this game all day.

Seriously.

I'm replaying chapter 2 and stuck on the opening cutscene until the very end. At the very least, Rockstar could patch in options to quit to main menu in the ESC menu.

Lima

So wait the cutscenes are unskippable on the pc too?

Haven't downloaded my copy off steam yet so I don't know this.

That would pretty much confirm that they don't want you to skip certain cutscenes.

Raptomex

So wait the cutscenes are unskippable on the pc too?

Haven't downloaded my copy off steam yet so I don't know this.

That would pretty much confirm that they don't want you to skip certain cutscenes.
No you can skip them. But it's just like the console versions. Maybe it loads a little faster? Not sure. I only played through the first 2 chapters so far.

It's flat-out fucking retarded that they seriously decided to bring in unskippable cutscenes, especially when arcade mode proves that it should only take around 20 or so seconds to start a level. What the fuck were they thinking?

woober

After seeing how the PC port is actually decent, I want to buy it. Any way for me to still get the preorder bonuses somehow?

solarus

Reached chapter 8 so far, playing on pc, this game has so far been outstanding. Hope it gets even better, favela was really fun.

Resilient

Just noticed somebody left the crew, who is the crew leader (dgsimo?), just tryin to get another invite sent my way because the one I had is inactive now :S

Gui_PT

Can't we just get a crew for each platform?

Having people waiting to get in when the crew is full of people that don't play the multiplayer is silly

Remember that friend of mine I let borrow Max Payne 3? Who wrote one of the best in-a-nutshell game reviews I've ever read? Well he emailed me some his follow-up impressions. Thought I'd share.

Just finished the
airport scene, been waiting to hear that Health song and then BAM!!! That shit was epic! Taking bitches out with my golden commando in the concourse all fucking Heat style to that song was so,
so satisfying.

Alright. That was fucking amazing. GOTY material, someone is going to have to seriously take shit up a few thousand notches to sway me...I'm a massive Max Payne whore, loved the first two, but this was a masterpiece. I wish I could say I can get back to work now but fuck me, I'm probably just going to play this again at least once.

Totally worth giving up a few days of my life. Good. Shit.

Couldn't agree more. Am counting the minutes til I get off work so I can try out the PC version I spent all night downloading.

MMaRsu

You Were Removed Due to Connection Problems, it's constantly doing this wtf is going on

Welcome to Max Payne 3 multiplayer matchmaking. Are you playing on Ps3 or PC?

I'm imagining it's not your connection either. Shit gets dropped for no fucking reason and it's almost killing my motivation to stick with the MP. But I love it, it's quite something in deathmatch ( when it works ).

JB1981

Fuck this game right up its ass on Hard. Too frustrating, not for me. If you don't get a headshot all the time you're fucked. Calling it quits, turns me into a raging psychopath

JoeBoy101

Just finished the game and I have to say, though it may not be Rockstar's BEST game, it is their BEST story they've told. Really got into it.

Didn't really have that Max Payne feel, but that aside, its an extremely good action game with a good grim environment and tone. One thing they did nail was Max's own flaws and failures that weigh on him. So, despite not really being Max Payne, which I expected, it was a really good game nonetheless, which I had hoped. One thing that impressed me was the variety of game levels from dilapidated hotels to extremely poor Falevas to airports. Only complaint is that enemies tend to get redundant.

Also, glad I saw the recommendation about toning down the difficulty and trying to play without using cover. Made it much more like old MP.

Gui_PT

Fuck this game right up its ass on Hard. Too frustrating, not for me. If you don't get a headshot all the time you're fucked. Calling it quits, turns me into a raging psychopath

bread2k8giq.gif

so I have the crew invite and I thought i'd joined the crew but apparently not...is there a separate crew for PC? Or how do I join the crew the invite is sitting in my message box.....

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I bought the retail version of this on PC today.

Is anyone else's install *painfully* slow?!

There are four disks. I'm still on only disk one; and even after about 25 minutes, I'm only about 25% through the progress bar. At this rate, I'll be lucky to have this installed off disc by midnight :-/

Is something wrong with my drive?

EDIT: Never mind; just told me to put in disc two. I guess the whole bar represents complete installation.

Derrick01

Banned
Up to chapter 9 now, the favela was pretty cool looking and I liked the atmosphere and not shooting for once. Still not liking the game any better though.

Looks unbelievable on PC I'll give it that much.

AEREC

Probably one of the best optimized PC games of recent memory...it's really exceeded my expectations.

The multiplayer on PC is fun as hell too.

Not sure who I was just playing MP on PS3 with (Zeyn?), but that didn't go as badly as expected. That was more or less my 3rd time playing the multiplayer. For any invites I got, sorry I keep ignoring them, but I was working on my New York Minute run. Now that I've accomplished most of the SP stuff, I'll probably move on to MP some more

Probably one of the best optimized PC games of recent memory...it's really exceeded my expectations.

The multiplayer on PC is fun as hell too.

it's pretty bad.. i got kicked out of more games than i have played and the instant spawn kills is pissing me off

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I enjoyed this game, aside from the usual Rockstar jank. It has a serious issue with readability. The white dot crosshair on the pistol is easily lost when aiming and some of the enemies are very difficult to see even on my 50" tv. The cover system is leagues behind other TPS games, and the aiming is just loose and imprecise in non-bullet time situations (yes I did play with the settings/free aim). It's still much improved over their previous efforts, but to make a strict TPS with issues like it has is kind of surprising.

However, even with all the issues, I enjoyed it alot. Great production values & story, varied settings (at least in the second half), and bullet time/dodge is so much fun. I appreciated the non-regenerating health, which would have ruined alot of the game.

pakkit

Banned
Now that I'm rank 20 I can now use all the cheap weaponry I've been complaining about! Sniping is like point and click instakills...although the lack of a reticle makes it useless up close. I've got 4 different loadouts now, trying to balance them for the bevy of gametypes in Gang Wars.

Top Bottom