• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

UrbanRats

After all his character's arc, he must have lost connection to the real world, i mean it's obvious that he was recklessly pushing down the hole, for all three games, without ever thinking about turning back, then at the end of 3, for no real reason, he's fine and well on a beach? Nothing happens in the game to give him hope in the future, he's just as broken as before, if not more.

Gui_PT

After all his character's arc, he must have lost connection to the real world, i mean it's obvious that he was recklessly pushing down the hole, for all three games, without ever thinking about turning back, then at the end of 3, for no real reason, he's fine and well on a beach? Nothing happens in the game to give him hope in the future, he's just as broken as before, if not more.

Eh, don't agree that he should've died.

He did get some kind of closure on the Branco family and did stop an organ trafficking operation.. Completely destroyed the gangs in the favelas and ended a fully corrupt government power and a whole corrupt police force. Oh and he also helped Passos start a new life with the woman he loves and their baby.

I'd feel better about my fucked up life of pain, booze and drugs after doing that.

JoeBoy101

Ahh, but that's half the point.
One of the plot points I really liked in this game is how Victor and Becker used the fact that he was broken and used up to their favor. He recognized that in the end. That they hired him to be nothing more than a lightning rod, and were counting on his being used up and, in the end, dying. Combined with the side story of Passos and Giovanna trying to build a family, he started seeing that he needed to get his life together. Not just for himself, but because his being a wreck ended up hurting a lot of other innocent people. His dying in the end would have been somewhat pointless and a bit cheap. His trying to live and put his life back together is far more interesting. That and giving narrative room for Max Payne 4.

Which I will certainly be interested in. From a thematic stand point and location-wise, I don't think they captured that noir feel at all. But from a narrative arc for Max, I thought they did extremely well.

Aeana

I'm surprised at how well this runs on my PC. If I turn tesselation off, I can max everything else and have my nice, solid 60 FPS.
But I'm once again reminded about how sad FXAA makes me, because it makes the subtitles look terrible. I wish it didn't affect UI elements.

At any rate, I think the game is pretty fun so far. I'm on chapter 3, I think, so not that far in, but it's fun. My only complaint so far is the 'reticle' just being a dot. I sometimes have a really hard time finding it on the screen in the heat of battle.

UrbanRats

Eh, don't agree that he should've died.

He did get some kind of closure on the Branco family and did stop an organ trafficking operation.. Completely destroyed the gangs in the favelas and ended a fully corrupt government power and a whole corrupt police force. Oh and he also helped Passos start a new life with the woman he loves and their baby.

I'd feel better about my fucked up life of pain, booze and drugs after doing that.

Ahh, but that's half the point.
One of the plot points I really liked in this game is how Victor and Becker used the fact that he was broken and used up to their favor. He recognized that in the end. That they hired him to be nothing more than a lightning rod, and were counting on his being used up and, in the end, dying. Combined with the side story of Passos and Giovanna trying to build a family, he started seeing that he needed to get his life together. Not just for himself, but because his being a wreck ended up hurting a lot of other innocent people. His dying in the end would have been somewhat pointless and a bit cheap. His trying to live and put his life back together is far more interesting. That and giving narrative room for Max Payne 4.

Which I will certainly be interested in. From a thematic stand point and location-wise, I don't think they captured that noir feel at all. But from a narrative arc for Max, I thought they did extremely well.

Yeah, dying is the first thing that came to mind, simply because Max Payne is this over the top, cheesy, in your face narrative, so a melodramatic death would've been apt, imo.
But you bring up some interesting points, still, the scene at the beach is pointless as it doesn't bring any closure to its arc.
Now the Bronco storyline was not a personal matter like in the previous games, but it was almost a mcguffin to make him realize something about his life, to make him see the low point he had reached, the Passos/Giovanna element could be read has: in the end through all his struggle and violence, he at least redeemed, helping a new family bloom (kind of a reincarnation of Michelle and Rose).
Even at that point, Max is an agent of chaos, through which Passos and Giovanna were able to have a life, but for Max himself, nothing is left; his friends are dead, nobody that loves him exist, he killed countless men and has sinked rockbottom, until the very last second.
To see him on the beach implying a complete turn around in his mood seemed very out of place to me.
During all the game, he seemed very lost, never ever cutting himself some slack, for taking out whatever corrupt element of Brazilian society, infact, he basically decides to just "play dumb" and go into a suicide mission, at the end.. as in "this is all i'm useful for at this point, a car without brakes".
At the hotel that blows up he even says: "i've got nothing left to lose", he has nothing in life left, he's reckless because of that.
So i think R* skipping on the 180° he does at the very end was beyond weird: So when and why or how did he decided that life was worth living after all? And how did he get rid of all the traumas accumulated since? Did he just brushed off all the self hate and blood and violence in a scene we didn't see? Cause last time we see it, he was gunning down an airport and chewing down painkillers, careless of his own health

Derrick01

Banned
Funnily enough that's the exact moment I took a screenshot in steam too. The visuals are really amazing.

Yeah if there's one thing that I really love in this game it's the graphics on PC. Absolutely stunning at times, it's just too bad the game doesn't give you many chances to really stop and appreciate them.

UrbanRats

Yeah if there's one thing that I really love in this game it's the graphics on PC. Absolutely stunning at times, it's just too bad the game doesn't give you many chances to really stop and appreciate them.

You mean cause it's fast paced? There were several moments where my jaw dropped on the floor.

Derrick01

Banned
You mean cause it's fast paced? There were several moments where my jaw dropped on the floor.

Yeah it's fast paced and there's a lot of times where if you do stop and wander around a room you'll fail and have to start a checkpoint over. It doesn't always happen but it happens enough to kind of scare me into not stopping for more than a few moments, usually to search a room quickly for any interactive things or pills.

JoeBoy101

Yeah, dying is the first thing that came to mind, simply because Max Payne is this over the top, cheesy, in your face narrative, so a melodramatic death would've been apt, imo.
But you bring up some interesting points, still, the scene at the beach is pointless as it doesn't bring any closure to its arc.
Now the Bronco storyline was not a personal matter like in the previous games, but it was almost a mcguffin to make him realize something about his life, to make him see the low point he had reached, the Passos/Giovanna element could be read has: in the end through all his struggle and violence, he at least redeemed, helping a new family bloom (kind of a reincarnation of Michelle and Rose).
Even at that point, Max is an agent of chaos, through which Passos and Giovanna were able to have a life, but for Max himself, nothing is left; his friends are dead, nobody that loves him exist, he killed countless men and has sinked rockbottom, until the very last second.
To see him on the beach implying a complete turn around in his mood seemed very out of place to me.
During all the game, he seemed very lost, never ever cutting himself some slack, for taking out whatever corrupt element of Brazilian society, infact, he basically decides to just "play dumb" and go into a suicide mission, at the end.. as in "this is all i'm useful for at this point, a car without brakes".
At the hotel that blows up he even says: "i've got nothing left to lose", he has nothing in life left, he's reckless because of that.
So i think R* skipping on the 180° he does at the very end was beyond weird: So when and why or how did he decided that life was worth living after all? And how did he get rid of all the traumas accumulated since? Did he just brushed off all the self hate and blood and violence in a scene we didn't see? Cause last time we see it, he was gunning down an airport and chewing down painkillers, careless of his own health

Well, one thing to think about is that for the two villains in the end of the game, Max doesn't execute either one. He killed Becker, sure, but that was more self-defense, and when given the option to execute him, it seems canon that you refuse. Also the case for Victor. I think in the end, he may have found a way to start building himself back up again by not killing indiscriminately the two enemies he was hunting. I don't see the beach as a complete mulligan on himself or his past, but a suggestion that he is starting to have hope for his future. Or at the least, indulging on the idea of a hopeful future.

I see what your saying about it being two large a turnaround, but I think you might be overestimating how much he turned himself around. Off the sauce, sure, but the other issues are questionable. It does suggest though that he doesn't see his life as dead-end as he had.

That and again, a Max Payne 4, depending on sales of the game, is a very likely prospect. And I hope so. This is the most mature story I've seen out of Rockstar and they handled it with real poise, I thought.

Riggs

Banned
This is a cut and paste of my post in the MP3 PC thread, hope that is ok.

What audio options do you guys recommend I use in the game? I am on a logitech G35 , 7.1 be default on these headphones. The options for sound in this game seem odd, "Stereo side" and "Stereo Behind" etc.

There is a headphone option also. I just want to be able to hear the enemies to the side and behind/front.

Not sure if this game is native 5.1 or 7.1. Tried looking all over google and I can't seem to find the info on that.

1stStrike

Banned
Man, there's some really retarded parts in this game where they give you a fucking time limit and if you don't kill x dude(s) in that time you fail. I fucking hate this shit. I'm in some part right now in the
cemetery
where there's a bunch of dudes shooting at this other guy as he's running away and I have to kill all of them in about 2 seconds when all I have is a pistol with 8 shots in a clip. Lining up headshots is pretty damn difficult at this range, so I just keep failing.

Gui_PT

Man, there's some really retarded parts in this game where they give you a fucking time limit and if you don't kill x dude(s) in that time you fail. I fucking hate this shit. I'm in some part right now in the
cemetery
where there's a bunch of dudes shooting at this other guy as he's running away and I have to kill all of them in about 2 seconds when all I have is a pistol with 8 shots in a clip. Lining up headshots is pretty damn difficult at this range, so I just keep failing.

Hyperbole to the MAX

You have tons of time

MMaRsu

cemetery

Huh.. i dont remember a time limit. If you dont have ammo hs a fool and take his gun or retry a few times the game will give u extra ammo.

cemetery

Jump dodge forward and grab their attention, you should be able to kill at least 4-5 guys. If you had an Uzi, I'd also recommend the possibility of blowing up the cars, but I never tried that because the cars would probably take too long to explode before you killed them

UrbanRats

Well, one thing to think about is that for the two villains in the end of the game, Max doesn't execute either one. He killed Becker, sure, but that was more self-defense, and when given the option to execute him, it seems canon that you refuse. Also the case for Victor. I think in the end, he may have found a way to start building himself back up again by not killing indiscriminately the two enemies he was hunting. I don't see the beach as a complete mulligan on himself or his past, but a suggestion that he is starting to have hope for his future. Or at the least, indulging on the idea of a hopeful future.

I see what your saying about it being two large a turnaround, but I think you might be overestimating how much he turned himself around. Off the sauce, sure, but the other issues are questionable. It does suggest though that he doesn't see his life as dead-end as he had.

That and again, a Max Payne 4, depending on sales of the game, is a very likely prospect. And I hope so. This is the most mature story I've seen out of Rockstar and they handled it with real poise, I thought.
I guess it was
the beach, that was so random and unrelated, i read it as "beach=chillin'" which was an extreme turn around, rather than a hint of change.
Agree that is the best R* story, if anything for the pacing, otherwise RDR's would also be a good contender.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well multiplayer is fun but of course, I live in a third world country so I'm kicked off by the matchmaking system every 5 minutes. That fucking thing is broken, I just spent the last fifteen minutes simply trying to get into a match, and the two times I could (second one lasted about 2 minutes before I was kicked) it was barely any lag (although without a ping indicator who can tell).

I guess MP3 is singleplayer only for me...

Solo

My. God.

Just started playing today (game looks and runs like a dream on PC, btw), and only just finished Chapter 2, after which I'm already tempted to call it GOTY. Chapter 2 was Collateral: the Game, and it was fucking awesome. Mad swagger.

My. God.

Just started playing today (game looks and runs like a dream on PC, btw), and only just finished Chapter 2, after which I'm already tempted to call it GOTY. Chapter 2 was Collateral: the Game, and it was fucking awesome. Mad swagger.

Dat window jump (Korean club vibe?)

UrbanRats

My. God.

Notice how his suit is ironed out in that scene, and how it is not, in a scene/chapter later on.
details like this are crazy good in this game.

JoeBoy101

Notice how his suit is ironed out in that scene, and how it is not, in a scene/chapter later on.
details like this are crazy good in this game.

Yeah, his wrinkled ass suit in that later scene makes him look real raggedy. Plus, I love his comment about his stupid tropical shirt as well.

Solo said:
Yep. It was like the Club Fever scene from Collateral come to life.

The variety in the environments worried me initially when they announced it, but after playing it, my concerns were unfounded. Its funny how many different vibes they hit from the Collateral one, to a more mercenary one, to
a more unhinged vengeance one

Rockstar kept the game fresh throughout, with the sole exception being the enemies, and even then, they did a pretty decent job. But the action sequences, jesus.

Gacha-pin

Finally, I was able to join a gaf crew match. invite system is not good on PS3. wish I could join friend/crew's games without invite.

UrbanRats

Yeah, his wrinkled ass suit in that later scene makes him look real raggedy. Plus, I love his comment about his stupid tropical shirt as well.

Ahah, for real, i remember thinking "what the fuck is that shirt, Max?" and sure enough, 5 seconds later comes the remark about his stupid shirt.

njean777

Hows the multiplayer on pc? A lot of people playing? PS3 is kind of lacking, I like it, but most people play soft lock which is just easy mode and kind of annoying.

So are there no quick saves in the PC version? I found that feature to be quite integral to my Max Payne experience and something I kinda missed in the console version.

Aguirre

not to negate the ps3 version, but the difference between the pc and ps3 version really is night and day. honestly, max payne 3 on pc feels next gen. and wow at that up close screenshot. simply breath taking

well done r*. well done indeed. my goty.

AEREC

Every so often when loading a map it seems the game will get stuck on the loading screen and I usually have to close it out in task manager.

Is anyone else running into this?

Whoever was sending me invites on ps3 last night I was in single player, had to finish it up. Overall it was an enjoyable ride, when you get the hang of the gunplay it's just so fun.

woober

iU5U92v2VuIb5.bmp

The good old days.

dsk1210

Apparently not but you can improve it by turning Target Tracking and Target Slowdown off. That gives you a bit more control, the actual issue of mouse 'lag' / acceleration is still there.

Sethos did you see my post in the pics thread?

I use 4xmsaa no problem, its 2xmssaa that was giving me the outline round the character, so at the moment i am using fxaa very high and 4xmsaa and it looks lovely.

Just beat the PC version on hard. Well.....that wasn't fun. It really wasn't that bad, the only thing I didn't like compared to the standard difficulty is that you aren't rewarded with as much adrenaline for kills. Its also drains more quickly when it is activated. It just didn't meld well with my play style where I use bullet time way more then shoot dodging.

Now onto score attack. Hoping that the unlimited bullet time glitch where it doesn't unlock after getting platinum on every level isn't in the PC version.

Sethos

Banned
Sethos did you see my post in the pics thread?

I use 4xmsaa no problem, its 2xmssaa that was giving me the outline round the character, so at the moment i am using fxaa very high and 4xmsaa and it looks lovely.

Yeah I also replied. I'm using 4xMSAA where the outline problem isn't too bad but using FXAA and MSAA together seems to cancel out each other. I also refuse to use FXAA on its own or in any form as it adds the signature FXAA blur, which is really bad in this game - Ruins the IQ completely.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thanks for the mouse tips.

Strange mouse behavior and odd acceleration is my biggest pet-peeve in PC gaming. Absolutely kills my enjoyment of a game. I don't know why it's still an issue in almost every other release.

dsk1210

Yeah I also replied. I'm using 4xMSAA where the outline problem isn't too bad but using FXAA and MSAA together seems to cancel out each other. I also refuse to use FXAA on its own or in any form as it adds the signature FXAA blur, which is really bad in this game - Ruins the IQ completely.

I can not see any outline what so ever to be honest with 4xmsaa, it was very obvious with 2x though, but i do have it hooked up to the plasma and not the monitor, but still the image looks fantastic.

I tend to find the game is about as taxing as Alan Wake on the gpu's.

Top Bottom