• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Montresor

Now that I'm rank 20 I can now use all the cheap weaponry I've been complaining about! Sniping is like point and click instakills...although the lack of a reticle makes it useless up close. I've got 4 different loadouts now, trying to balance them for the bevy of gametypes in Gang Wars.

The more I read about these high level perks and guns the more I hope there's no achievement for prestiging once the new DLC comes out. I don't want to be stuck with a single M10 Uzi and no bursts after reaching level 50.

woober

Holy hell Max Payne 3 is one amazing looking game. Reminds me of Witcher 2's image quality.

ibt0p731CQDhmN.bmp

iXeoGhlbnuRcf.bmp

i5hFxf3aDYpyU.bmp

1stStrike

Banned
I'm kinda so-so with this game. Too many dudes stuffed into a room for me and it annoys me when they drop after getting shot, I think they're dead, and then all of a sudden they're back on their feet and shooting me in the back.

Up to chapter 7 right now, but just quit out cause I was getting a bit bored.

pakkit

Banned
I wonder how many architects work at Rockstar. They're level design is impeccable in it's "groundedness." You really get the sensation that you're in a real-world place, and that's an aspect of level design that I'd say is unique to Rockstar.

jred2k

I have a request pending to join the crew my PSN is North_Lights911. I just noticed there are two open spots so I was hoping to take one of them.

Sidzed2

I'm kinda so-so with this game. Too many dudes stuffed into a room for me and it annoys me when they drop after getting shot, I think they're dead, and then all of a sudden they're back on their feet and shooting me in the back.

Up to chapter 7 right now, but just quit out cause I was getting a bit bored.

Pay attention to the kill indicator and they won't take you by surprise. Oh and if you've played up to chapter 7 in one sitting I daresay you're boredom is unsurprising ;) take a break have a kit kat!

Ah, that's cool. SP is fucking awesome to be fair.

Yeah, I'm thinking about going for the Platinum, that would require getting to Level 50 in MP, and doing NYM Hardcore, I've got a couple levels left for New York Minute and after that I only have a couple grinds left to finish.

But so far, I've died a handful of times for various stupid reasons (Last Man Standing not working correctly), so I'm not sure of NYM Hardcore is worth the challenge right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
About half an hour in and I got a crash, so some quick impressions:
- Looks amazing and runs great, but I'll take it down a notch to avoid a few slowdowns I got.
- Like someone said, it feels like what a Max Payne movie should've been. Max's monologue is not as elaborate or elegant as it used to be, but cutscenes have been overall solid.
- I'm so used to shoot dodging with right mouse click I'm having some trouble adjusting. I wish they had kept that but I can see why they didn't.
- Aiming feels weird. Had to crank the sensibility up to 8 and I'm still not comfortable with it.
- Hate the last stand mechanic, I wish you could just turn it off and die.

Overall pretty positive, if not for that CTD and the SP1 error I got.

Harlock

Console GAF hates it, but I agree with you.

Also, PC GAF, rep my crew bros:
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/vlns_nvr_die

A favela foi onde a Rockstar mais investiu nos detalhes. Tanto o ambiente quanto as pessoas por lá ficaram muito bem feitas. E foi divertido pra caramba andar com o Max Payne por lá e ver ele sendo atroprado por todo mundo. Eu pensando "puta camisa ridícula" e logo depois um carinha lá na favela comentando "ei gringo, que camisa ridícula" hahaha.

E até que ficou razoavelmente fiel ao ambiente real. A Rockstar fez umas aberrações com São Paulo, principalmente no começo e final do jogo. Aquela cena onde eles estão navegando de barco, pelo rio Tietê, como se fosse o Mississipi, non ecziste. Tietê não é um rio navegável, a menos que seja por canoa. Mas pode apostar que você não vai querer entrar nele com uma canoa.

Uma região de São Paulo muito legal que poderiam ter explorado mais é o centro antigo da cidade. Tem toda uma arquitetura clássica de meados do século XX, mas com vários prédios decadentes. Tem um pouco disso naquele hotel abandonado.

Yeah, I'm thinking about going for the Platinum, that would require getting to Level 50 in MP, and doing NYM Hardcore, I've got a couple levels left for New York Minute and after that I only have a couple grinds left to finish.

But so far, I've died a handful of times for various stupid reasons (Last Man Standing not working correctly), so I'm not sure of NYM Hardcore is worth the challenge right now.

After doing the NYM levels first time, and maybe doing score attack, you'll get a lot more used to the levels, and it comes in very handy on your NYM HC playthrough.

Montresor

Wait.... what? There's nothing like that at all in the 360 version! Can you explain the context behind that screen? Looks friggin cool.

And that reminds me, I love that Max + the background scenery in the title menu will change depending on how far you are in the storyline. So awesome. I.E. the picture above is directly taken from the very beginning of the game, and so in the title menu you'd see Max quietly smoking his cigarette if you were in the first chapter. But if you were farther, and you were
bald Payne in the favela
, the background and Max's appearance would reflect this too.

Finished the game on medium difficulty. 15% of trophies achieved. I hate when devs do this, why can't every game be like Assassin's Creed 2? That game was perfect regarding trophies.

Montresor

Gemüsepizza;38419986 said:
Finished the game on medium difficulty. 15% of trophies achieved. I hate when devs do this, why can't every game be like Assassin's Creed 2? That game was perfect regarding trophies.

Man, I honestly loved how the entire first night I played this game, I didn't earn a single achievement.

Achievements/trophies in this game require multiple playthroughs, and the way the game is designed, I like it very much. There is huge learning curve, but the more you play through the storyline the better you get. I've said it a bunch of times before, but I'm about to start an 8th playthrough (hardcore story mode). You get your ass kicked on medium. But after playing on hard you learn to use shootdodge effectively. After playing old school (last stand disabled), you're taught to consume painkillers manually. And the New York Minute modes teach you to strafe while in bullet time. Well, that's at least how my skill level progressed.

My tip, do not go for any of the single player grinds until you've had four or five playthroughs. Almost all of them will get finished from playing the game normally. You still gotta play on the following difficulties: hard->old school->hardcore->NYM->NYM Hardcore... a lot of playthroughs for those grinds to unlock naturally.

Wait.... what? There's nothing like that at all in the 360 version! Can you explain the context behind that screen? Looks friggin cool.
As others have said, it's basically just the Quit? Yes/No screen on the PC. There are different versions of it too, different sayings. It's a nice touch.

Montresor

Just after you go to quit on the main menu. It's reminiscent of the other 2 PC games.

Wish there was a quit option in the console versions. Loved those bits of text in the previous games.

As others have said, it's basically just the Quit? Yes/No screen on the PC. There are different versions of it too, different sayings. It's a nice touch.

Cool.

I don't know about PS3, but I've never seen a retail 360 game have an in-game option to go to the dashboard (i.e. "quit" a game). I've only seen XBLA games do this. Too bad.

Fjordson

That quit screen is bad ass.

I wonder how many architects work at Rockstar. They're level design is impeccable in it's "groundedness." You really get the sensation that you're in a real-world place, and that's an aspect of level design that I'd say is unique to Rockstar.
Totally. I love the way their environments look. Very believable and super detailed.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, crash number two, just when I got some flow going. I'm now fully in liking-the-game mode so what the hell, why can't you let me love you?

Facism

why did i have to request another invite to the negang? I'm a PC gamer, i just got the bloody game.

Anyway, user is Live_Feed.

pakkit

Banned
Gemüsepizza;38419986 said:

No, no, no. Achievements shouldn't be earned through the course of a regular playthrough, they should be either sought out or used to reward players that go the extra mile. Rockstar's achievements are perfect, and they've built in a "grind" system within the game so that you're not left "unrewarded" (so to speak) by simply working through the game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK, I need help.

I'm at the part where you're in the police station and you're facing off that black guy (sorry, forgot his name). Max says something about shooting the ceiling because he's invisible in the cover he's in so I do that, but nothing happens. What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't go up the stairs because the door is locked.

Edit:

omfg, that was so stupid. I restarted it and it finally registered after shooting it like a million times previously. :|

I took a break from Diablo and turned on MP3 for the first time since launch day, was doing pretty well, the more I played the more I liked it but the cinematic style does get a bit ridiculous at points

Jtrizzy

Is the animation a little janky when Max is turns while crouch walking or is it just me? Overall the game is very fun, I'm glad to see Rockstar is improving their shooting mechanics. I find myself playing it too much like the standard cover shooter though.

devo1989

About half an hour in and I got a crash, so some quick impressions:
- Looks amazing and runs great, but I'll take it down a notch to avoid a few slowdowns I got.
- Like someone said, it feels like what a Max Payne movie should've been. Max's monologue is not as elaborate or elegant as it used to be, but cutscenes have been overall solid.
- I'm so used to shoot dodging with right mouse click I'm having some trouble adjusting. I wish they had kept that but I can see why they didn't.
- Aiming feels weird. Had to crank the sensibility up to 8 and I'm still not comfortable with it.
- Hate the last stand mechanic, I wish you could just turn it off and die.

Overall pretty positive, if not for that CTD and the SP1 error I got.

Huh? Key bind shoot dodge to the right mouse? Half way through and havent used the over the shoulder zoom. I'm playing this full on max payne 2 controls. Its wonderful.

Fjordson

OK I'm officially happy with this game (sorry for jaggies but FXAA is too blurry for my taste)

ibeoWMVadBlcgq.png
Nice. More snow here and much clearer vistas than the console version are especially noticeable. Looks great.

GTA V is going to look so damn sick on PC.

solarus

Having heard sooo much complaining about the visual style, I have to say that i love it. Really doesn't bug me at all, adds a lot of style to the game.

I think I'm about halfway through, and I'm really liking it. Probably one of the best shooters of the gen.
Also, the PC port is well done: no problem playing on High with my poor 5770.

zkylon

zkylewd
Closeups are unbelievable.

iLhDMTO84yL2Z.png

Loving the game, it's building up quite nicely. I kinda wish they had removed the turret sections, since I hate those in every single game, but other than that, gameplay's been pretty great and I've grown past my early mouse weirdness.

I feel like skipping saturday partying to beat this thing, lol.

Huh? Key bind shoot dodge to the right mouse? Half way through and havent used the over the shoulder zoom. I'm playing this full on max payne 2 controls. Its wonderful.
Yeah, I might, but you use zoom in to shoot from cover, so I dunno. This makes me wish I had a five button mice.

Nice. More snow here and much clearer vistas than the console version are especially noticeable. Looks great.

GTA V is going to look so damn sick on PC.
Yeah, all MP3 did was hype me for GTAV. Probably gonna preorder that one too.

Enco

I find my self wanting to stop and stare at the textures.

Shame that the game is so fast paced.

Makes me wonder how huge GTA V will be. Amazing physics, a HUGE open world and amazing graphics? My HD is gonna cry.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just finished it tonight. Incredible build up. Seriously.

Loved the game. Definitely going to replay it soon.

solarus

Closeups are unbelievable.

iLhDMTO84yL2Z.png

Loving the game, it's building up quite nicely. I kinda wish they had removed the turret sections, since I hate those in every single game, but other than that, gameplay's been pretty great and I've grown past my early mouse weirdness.

I feel like skipping saturday partying to beat this thing, lol.

Yeah, I might, but you use zoom in to shoot from cover, so I dunno. This makes me wish I had a five button mice.

Yeah, all MP3 did was hype me for GTAV. Probably gonna preorder that one too.
Funnily enough that's the exact moment I took a screenshot in steam too. The visuals are really amazing.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Finished it too just now. It plays incredibly well and it looks gorgeous, but the setting is so off key, I just couldn't get past it. The flashback chapters in New York blew me away with how they looked and felt, and I just can't get over why they changed settings so drastically. Sure, Sao Paolo let them get away with some outrageous set pieces, but I completely lost the moody noir feeling. The flashback scenes made it sting all the more and while the writing and flow was nicely done, the story itself felt very out of place for the series and the ending wasn't all that satisfying.

But as a game, this is fucking top-notch. Glorious controls, responsive movement and shooting, fantastic animations and the graphics are incredible. Had some shit trying to get it to run, but once I did, all was forgiven within a few minutes of gameplay.

MMaRsu

Is the animation a little janky when Max is turns while crouch walking or is it just me? Overall the game is very fun, I'm glad to see Rockstar is improving their shooting mechanics. I find myself playing it too much like the standard cover shooter though.

Then by all means, please dont.

UrbanRats

Finished the game in 9 hours, normal+free aim, with a pad (on PC).
Died several times, but not as much as i was expecting (most of them at the
last shootout/boss
).
Well, with the graphics all maxed out (except AA that was *only* MSAA 2x) the game ran like butter, with a few hiccups in cutscenes, and it looked like one of the most beautiful game i've seen, the attention to little details was impressive (like the non-ironed suit of Max, in one of the levels, damn).
Had two CTD and a few glitches here and there, but nothing major.

Now, the game is amazing, the soundtrack is one of the best i've ever heard (when that music kicks in at
the airport
) when the heavy drums kick in, your blood starts pumping, Jesus Christ.
The story was alright, i liked the characters, but i wasn't blown away; the best part was in the Favelas, i think.
I really disliked the ending though (ENDING SPOILERS
him on a beach? That was an ending for Sam Fisher, not Max Payne.. he HAD to die, c'mon
).

Overall, pretty fucking great.

Oh, BTW i barely used cover, you have to dive more than Phelps or you're dead.

Top Bottom