• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Sephon

Been playing this for a while now, and it's gorgeous and awesome in many ways, but difficult as hell too unless I'm playing it wrong.

I don't like the on-rails shooting bits, and hate how enemies are popping up around you at certain points, feels a bit like CoD in that regards, and that is one point I really hate.

Tried out some MP and while it worked it seemed to be a bit laggy, might've been my host though.
Solid game, but I miss my old Max...

Zeliard

Been playing this for a while now, and it's gorgeous and awesome in many ways, but difficult as hell too unless I'm playing it wrong.

I don't like the on-rails shooting bits, and hate how enemies are popping up around you at certain points, feels a bit like CoD in that regards, and that is one point I really hate.

It's not an easy game, no, and with dual analog it got downright goofy at times. Follow some of the tips posted.

And yeah the way enemies spawn in is probably the worst part of the game. It was my biggest beef with it.

And the "on-rails bits" - you mean the part where you automatically go into bullettime? I thought those were fun, and fairly easy. Go for single headshots to take them all out in one swoop.

In general you can end up wasting a lot of ammo going for midsections, so if you run into ammo problems later on (which can happen), go for the head more often. Going for the legs can be very effective however, due to Euphoria. You can often make enemies fall over which makes them a very easy target, or simply takes them out of the equation for a few valuable seconds.

Sephon

Good tips in the thread, wasn't sure that shootdodging didn't take any bullettime.
I guess I gotta learn to utilize the surroundings better and not just run'n'gun.

And the "on-rails bits" - you mean the part where you automatically go into bullettime? I thought those were fun, and fairly easy. Go for single headshots to take them all out in one swoop.

Nah, I'm good with those parts. Just don't like the parts where you mount an infinite ammo gun and ride the
boat/helicopter
just shooting guys for 5 minutes.

1stStrike

Banned
I finally finished "preloading" this morning. Started at like 7 pm last night...

Guess I'll have to wait to play this over the weekend. Looking forward to it, though.

Bullettime for the burst and the bull and uzi or Mac 10 and 1911 combo is beasting.

Also I still wouldnt recommend a hard playthrough for the first time, whether you are playing on pc or not...

Are there any advantages to unlocking dual-wielding the same weapon? Are you increasing damage by using a regular pistol, for example?

MMaRsu

Are there any advantages to unlocking dual-wielding the same weapon? Are you increasing damage by using a regular pistol, for example?

I'm not sure but if you have a dual wield bull pistol I think two hits on someone and they are dead. I use the uzi because I like the extended clips and finishing off people with low health.

noomi

very much looking forward to the multi-player aspect of the game.

Can anyone tell me how many multi-player maps were looking at here?

I don't know but try dual wielding the uzis. They'll wreck everything up

This is what I'm using currently. They just make a mess about the place.

I'm not sure but if you have a dual wield bull pistol I think two hits on someone and they are dead. I use the uzi because I like the extended clips and finishing off people with low health.

Yeah, I've been dual-wielding the uzis, using the extended clip on one and a laser sight on the other. Might try out a bull pistol with it later..

JohngPR

The animation and weight to Max is really great.

You can feel he really throws himself when he shoot dodges...he even lets out the most painful old man groan when he does it for good measure.

:p

JB1981

how awesome is the club scene in this game? it feels like a real club, and the animations on the npcs are so lifelike. game has stellar art direction

Tokubetsu

how awesome is the club scene in this game? it feels like a real club, and the animations on the npcs are so lifelike. game has stellar art direction

I don't think it's available online (yet) but the music playing during that scene is an actual DJ mix too. Rockstar got some DJs to do it...which is crazy when you think about how small of a part it plays compared to the rest of the game.

Edit, it's on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1228703218/playlist/5PF0YFzRUpVU5NicfVcnkN

According to an old R* post we should get a mixtape too soon?

There are just a lot of little things in this game that make it great. Whatever complaints I have are just, petty when you take the whole package in.

Derrick01

Banned
Well after somewhat ironing out the kinks on PC I played up to the first part of chapter 3 and I'm already kind of bored with the game. I've pretty much done nothing but use the slo mo stuff the entire game so far and the few times it zoomed in on the guy I filled them with bullets, but I feel like I've played the whole game already. It's just doing the same thing over and over again in every area.

As for the cutscenes I can't stand the blurring and flashing colored lights every 5 seconds. The camera work is some of the worst I've ever seen too. I don't think I'm going to make it to the end of this.

JB1981

Well after somewhat ironing out the kinks on PC I played up to the first part of chapter 3 and I'm already kind of bored with the game. I've pretty much done nothing but use the slo mo stuff the entire game so far and the few times it zoomed in on the guy I filled them with bullets, but I feel like I've played the whole game already. It's just doing the same thing over and over again in every area.

As for the cutscenes I can't stand the blurring and flashing colored lights every 5 seconds. The camera work is some of the worst I've ever seen too. I don't think I'm going to make it to the end of this.

Dude are you serious? You are still like in the tutorial section ...

Derrick01

Banned
Dude are you serious? You are still like in the tutorial section ...

What else is there to learn? Enter room -> shoot everyone, slo mo being optional but pretty much required to make it even a little interesting -> leave room -> watch a sloppy and dizzying cutscene. I don't think I can take 10 hours of this.

MMaRsu

What else is there to learn? Enter room -> shoot everyone, slo mo being optional but pretty much required to make it even a little interesting -> leave room -> watch a sloppy and dizzying cutscene. I don't think I can take 10 hours of this.

Ehh well that's your own fault. That's basically what Max Payne 1 and two were also. What exactly are you saying here, that you did not like those games either?

JB1981

I guess if you don't find the fundamental shooting mechanics compelling you should just quit. But you played 3 chapters and are complaining that a shooter is a shooter and has cutscenes (which are much better than you are letting on).

Tokubetsu

Yeah, not everyones gonna be satisfied but this is a game where you shoot people, and sometimes you do it in slow motion. That's the whole game. Thats what all the trailers were about, and thats what the previous two games were about.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah, not everyones gonna be satisfied but this is a game where you shoot people, and sometimes you do it in slow motion. That's the whole game. Thats what all the trailers were about, and thats what the previous two games were about.

You... you mean there isn't a theater mini game where you perform Shakespeare's hamlet on stage?

Purchase. Regret.

ari

Banned

what games do you like? every time i see you post its always negative. :/

Tokubetsu

You... you mean there isn't a theater mini game where you perform Shakespeare's hamlet on stage?

Purchase. Regret.

Rockstar cancelled the "Help Max Throw Up The Pills & Booze" mini-game at the last minute, and the game is poorer for it.

Harlock

The favela stage is the best part of game!

Favelito.png

jred2k

So now that its out on PC is there going to be some sort of crew clean-up in a week or two? I think if by that time there are still people without experience, chances are they aren't going to be playing much multi.

Montresor

what games do you like? every time i see you post its always negative. :/

Yeah, honestly. I'm a big lurker (pre-emptive message in case Derrick asks who I am) and whenever I come across Derrick's posts it seems like he is very negative. Anyway, I am done trying to beat New York Minute Hardcore for now. I'm gonna play the new Batman DLC and try to beat hardcore difficulty in Max Payne.

I don't think I've ever replayed a game as much as Max Payne 3. So far I've had 7 playthroughs (including two failed NYMH attempts that reached up to chapter 10-11). And a guaranteed 8th playthrough is coming when I try to beat hardcore mode.

I love how much the game revels in being JUST a shooter. Max isn't Drake in a trap-laden temple, this is an ex-cop always making bad decisions that he has to shoot his way out of. And oh the shooting is glorious. Any other developer and this game would've failed due to lack of Euphoria alone. My only issue is being unable to skip cutscenes until the game decides it's finished loading. Aside from that, I could shoot fools in this game all day.

Worst level is definitely the one in the swamp. The rest of the game is fairly original, but that specific section could have been culled from any shooter released in the past few years.

Dark environment? Check. Raining. Check. Fucking storage containers up the ass? Check. Terrible level, but thankfully the rest of the game rises above that.

(Storage containers are the absolute laziest way to design levels in your game. They're used as giant, artificial ways to funnel players down a path. Basically a giant set of Legos. Luckily Rockstar's level design is shown to be competent in the rest of the levels in the game.)

Montresor

I love how much the game revels in being JUST a shooter. Max isn't Drake in a trap-laden temple, this is an ex-cop always making bad decisions that he has to shoot his way out of. And oh the shooting is glorious. Any other developer and this game would've failed due to lack of Euphoria alone. My only issue is being unable to skip cutscenes until the game decides it's finished loading. Aside from that, I could shoot fools in this game all day.

Well the arcade mode really exposes that loading issue. This game is not in any way, shape or form masking ANY load times with its cutscenes. The cutscenes are simply unskippable as a design choice from Rockstar, and the proof is that it takes 20 or so seconds to load a level in arcade mode while it takes 5+ minutes to load a level (aka watch a cutscene) in the regular modes. Arcade mode skips all beginning and ending chapter cutscenes, fyi.

Not that I have a huge problem with that... I fucking love the cutscenes. When I play hardcore difficulty later tonight, I'm going to fully watch every single cutscene (that'll be the third time I do that across eight playthroughs).

So I could only play for a half hour or so, but let me just say that (a) the cut scene 'style' is fucking annoying, (b) pushing the bad guy out of the nightclub window and going down with him into the main room was one of the coolest things ever.

Top Bottom