• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Derrick01

Banned
Just finished it. I've already listed my complaints from around chapter 3 and since the game didn't really change any I feel like I don't need to re-post the same complaints from here and the PC thread.

Bottom line is it's the worst game I've played in 2012 up to this point. Granted that's a relatively short list for now but it's still there.

Sethos

Banned
I can not see any outline what so ever to be honest with 4xmsaa, it was very obvious with 2x though, but i do have it hooked up to the plasma and not the monitor, but still the image looks fantastic.

I tend to find the game is about as taxing as Alan Wake on the gpu's.

Can barely see the outline at 4xMSAA but it's there if you know where to look, just the nature of their method. Although MSAA is really taxing, some people are claiming to have success with SMAA Injector but I'm afraid with all this IronWrap BS it might get me banned from Multiplayer.

Sophuis

Neo Member
iU5U92v2VuIb5.bmp

The good old days.

For serious. This game rocked up and down, but it never got as good as when I was blowing away New Jersey punks and mobster grease balls in a run down Hoboken bar and on snow-covered rooftops while wearing a leather jacket and a fucked up tie with snow laying heavy on the city streets.

Bring it back to the roots, R*. Give it its noir atmosphere and setting back, maybe add that cheesy over-the-top dialog again and you'll have ticked all the fucking boxes for Game of the Forever.

Angry Fork

Decided to wait for a price drop on this. 60$ is too much of a blind buy these days, especially for something that I feel so negative towards. Hopefully it happens within a month or so but I doubt it.

Enco

Only on chapter 6 (or so) and I don't get the people saying it should be all dark NY levels.

The only time I've seen people complain about a game having too much variety.

So where is the bonus XP from this event supposed to come from . I'm not getting any extra for kill or any other objective and it's not showing up at the end

Solo

This is hot shit. In so many ways, its not Max Payne at all. But in other ways, its totally Max Payne. Regardless of what it is or isn't, one thing is clear: it rocks.

Enco

- Jaw dropping graphics
- Amazing physics
- Badass action
- Awesome soundtrack
- Really detailed multiplayer
- (MP1, MP2 and LA Noire as pre order bonuses)

Yea this game was well worth it. Best game I've played in a long time.

dsk1210

This is hot shit. In so many ways, its not Max Payne at all. But in other ways, its totally Max Payne. Regardless of what it is or isn't, one thing is clear: it rocks.

Yeah quite into it myself, not finished the single player yet, but it has a nice variety so far.

The multi player seemed quite good when i had a quick shot last night, it was just death match, and re spawning near people was not ideal, but had a nice fun feel to it, still to try the other modes, still getting the feel for the controls, I am using the 360 controller through the sp and i keep trying to change weapons with the d pad fore some strange reason, just seems more natural to me.

Very impressed with the game, just a shame the video was not rendered in 60fps, that way it would not be so jarring going from the smooth game engine cut scenes to the video.

iNvid02

- Jaw dropping graphics
- Amazing physics
- Badass action
- Awesome soundtrack

expected most of that, it being rockstar and all
but the excellent pc version surprised me, especially considering la noire and gta iv

Derrick01

Banned
Decided to wait for a price drop on this. 60$ is too much of a blind buy these days, especially for something that I feel so negative towards. Hopefully it happens within a month or so but I doubt it.

I wish I waited too. $60 for what took me 8 hours to finish is just a punch in the balls, though I don't blame anyone but myself. I'm not even bringing the quality of that time into the equation either.

dsk1210

I wish I waited too. $60 for what took me 8 hours to finish is just a punch in the balls, though I don't blame anyone but myself. I'm not even bringing the quality of that time into the equation either.

It's a quality game, I honestly can not understand your negative experience of it, if you had played any of the max payne's you should have known what you were going to get, it's a simple mechanic with a game built round it, to the highest standards.

Everyone has their opinions i suppose.

Gui_PT

You should also take your time and appreciate all the details in the game. That's how you enjoy something. Not rushing through it.

Finished it just now on PC. Mouse controls were a little weird, but it's nothing that I couldn't adjust to. Options for control binds could be better too, almost felt QWOP-like in how specific some were; I mean was there ever a point in the game to use quick grenade?

In terms of the world, the story, the characters, the music, I guess it felt like I thought it would. Very Rockstar, which didn't resonate as strongly with me as Remedy's stuff. All that time since the initial reveal and now kind of softened me to the new angle of the game, so I didn't mind it; I already had plenty of time to get over it. After playing MP1 and MP2 earlier this week leading up to the PC release of this, I was ready to see Max completely let himself go. Not like there was a robust cast of characters to salvage from by the end of 2 anyway. "I had a dream of Remedy's sequel. It was dead, but it was all right."

I liked the nudges to environmental decorations and other things in the previous games. Max drank Kong whiskey, there were ads for Interfectum painkillers
the several piano interactions with him finally getting it in the end, Captain Baseball Bat Boy cartoons, the graves of Winterson, Gognitti and Horne, the ad for Hotel Mona, the suspect sketch of Max that gave him the "constipated face".

The details in this game were amazing, like the wrinkled suit that was previously mentioned.
Especially after the scene with Passos waking Max's hungover ass up in his mess of an apartment, you could see it was just something tossed aside and put back on.
I liked the general destructibility of the environments, there was a moment where the center of a window frame was between me and my mark, and I tried shooting through it and I could. Broke right through it, felt great. The physics were amazing throughout, I especially like having to be spatially aware when shoot dodging. No longer was I coated in some sort of environmental teflon that would slide me away from anything in my path, no, I had to make sure there was room or I'd be banging my head and crashing to the ground. Though I rarely used standard bullet time. Probably the product of playing on Hard my first go through, they probably limited it for the difficulty significantly. At most it was just used to activate it, shoot down one guy, and return to normal.

On the new mechanics, because of Last Man Standing I rarely ever used painkillers normally, but I don't really have much else to comment on for that. I tried to impose a "no cover" stipulation in my playthrough because my controls were getting a bit too crowded and I figured good ol' fashioned crouching behind the cover was fine enough. I managed just fine except for the fact that about 90% of the engagements start you in cover and because of that if you try to get out of cover for the sake of not using the mechanic you get dropped pretty easily heh. Though there were times I resorted to stop and pop because it seemed like the scenario was tailored for it. Specifically
the shootout with Becker, seemed like doing anything but the standard cover mechanic approach prompted in getting fucked up. I see that encounter being hair pulling in Old School mode.
On that note, turret sequences in a Max Payne game what the fuck?

Overall I really liked it, it was a change of pace and the core shoot 'n' dodge combat felt great. I'll be replaying it for sure, right now the whole experience was a bit of a blur in the two session clearing I did of it. Though I wish they wouldn't insist on having collectibles in the environment if you're going to have a companion with you repeating the same two lines of HURRY UP, WE GOTTA GO at the checkpoint when you try looking for them. Rockstar's Social Club interface can also fuck itself though, on more than one occasion my game was hanging to the point that I thought it crashed entirely just so that I could get a RSC achievement pop-up on the top right of my screen when it came back to motion.

I really don't know what you expected on that. Max Payne 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but it's like a 4.5 hour game.

Derrick01

Banned
You should also take your time and appreciate all the details in the game. That's how you enjoy something. Not rushing through it.

First of all it's a linear corridor game, there's not much to look at.

Second, the game fails you a lot of the time if you stop too long. I failed at least three times due to that. I didn't rush through anything, I played the short game and beat it.

It's a quality game, I honestly can not understand your negative experience of it, if you had played any of the max payne's you should have known what you were going to get, it's a simple mechanic with a game built round it, to the highest standards.

Everyone has their opinions i suppose.

He's never played them if I recall; that could be the main issue here. The game is Max Payne through and through; but you can definitely tell it's not a Remedy MP, which is fine. It does both good and bad; the story is really great, but definitely doesn't have that Noir overtone to it like the other ones (outside of the "other" levels, you know). It's never claimed to be anything but a shooter, but coming from R* I can see the possible misconceptions about what it is supposed to be.

And shit, the game runs absolutely flawless for me. I really hope they put this much work into GTA V on PC.

Gui_PT

You are mistaken, my good friend.

I tend not to give any importance to reviewers because they're usually stupid but they've complained about the game being long. I agree with them about it being long, just not in the form of a complaint.

- Jaw dropping graphics
- Amazing physics
- Badass action
- Awesome soundtrack

Just beat the game 2 days ago and I have to agree. Amazing, amazing game.

Derrick01

Banned
You are mistaken, my good friend.

I tend not to give any importance to reviewers because they're usually stupid but they've complained about the game being long. I agree with them about it being long, just not in the form of a complaint.

They've complained about this being long? Man we really are doomed to a future of 4 hour games aren't we? This game is short as hell but it felt longer because I was doing the same thing the entire game. 8 hours on normal difficulty is about average for what I was seeing in this thread. I don't think I saw a number higher than 12.

dsk1210

Second, the game fails you a lot of the time if you stop too long. I failed at least three times due to that. I didn't rush through anything, I played the short game and beat it.

That tells me all I need to know about you, the game has astounding beauty to detail.

Gui_PT

They've complained about this being long? Man we really are doomed to a future of 4 hour games aren't we? This game is short as hell but it felt longer because I was doing the same thing the entire game. 8 hours on normal difficulty is about average for what I was seeing in this thread. I don't think I saw a number higher than 12.

You have to stop every step you take and look at every pixel!!!

Derrick01

Banned
That tells me all I need to know about you, the game has astounding beauty to detail.

I don't disagree but neither do I think looking at a well modeled chair in the corner means anything to me or the quality of the game. As beautiful as the game was (which I have admitted already) it didn't make the game any less of a chore to play.

I don't disagree but neither do I think looking at a well modeled chair in the corner means anything to me or the quality of the game. As beautiful as the game was (which I have admitted already) it didn't make the game any less of a chore to play.
So it was a chore to play, but you wanted it to be longer?

After being slightly underwhelmed at the start, I've now played a few more chapters and this game totally has its hooks into me now. Even the setting has won me over. Loving it.

JoeBoy101

This is pretty much my assessment. Max Payneness is hit and miss, but I really could care less as the game was too busy being awesome.

dsk1210

I must just treat the game differently from you, i take the game on its face value of small action set pieces.

Luckily enough it entertains me, and that's what it's all about, gaming huh. :)

Top Bottom