• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Ivan

Now when you're all experienced, any suggestions for sharp, fast enough, but not too fast controls? I lost criteria while switching settings too much :).

jbxqjerk5cBNQM.jpg

The green light washed the lies away. My whole life was just fabric, pockets hanging to my sides like bubbles.

I was pants.

Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible glitch I could think of.

jZOxBzRaw2g3Q.jpg

ibeJuAv4Gel5Ub.gif

Montresor

Anyone know the name of this one song that plays on the radio in Chapter 7? Details below:

The song plays during an indoor encounter in the favela. There's about three or four guys inside this room, one of which is barechested. After you kill them all, you can inspect drugs on the counter; Max will comment on said drugs.

I fucking failed my NYMH run at Chapter 7 earlier today, but anyhow, that song has been stuck in my head all day.

jbxqjerk5cBNQM.jpg

The green light washed the lies away. My whole life was just fabric, pockets hanging to my sides like bubbles.

I was pants.

Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible glitch I could think of.

jZOxBzRaw2g3Q.jpg

Same thing happened to me in the same chapter but different part. I restarted the checkpoint and it would still happen. When I would shootdodge every characters upper torso would disappear and the camera would lock and stay in slow motion. Had to do a full game restart to fix it.

Another weird one I had was Max would go into his default model T pose when peeking from cover. lol.

Plissken

Completed story mode today on PC, what a ride! Looking forward to jumping into multiplayer. Random thoughts:

- Level design was fantastic. Every level worked not just for shooting gallery purposes, but felt like a real place that could exist in the world.
- The soundtrack was amazing as well, purchased it today on Amazon, I had to hear some of those tracks again. In particular, the music in
Panama
and later in the
Airport
really fit the mood of those levels.
- The story was good, cutscenes felt like the guys at Rockstar had gone on a Michael Mann/Tony Scott movie binge before writing/editing them. I felt the plot with the
organ theft
came out of nowhere though, maybe I missed some clues throughout the game.
- Cover was handled well, though it was a bit too necessary in some places. Adrenaline meter felt like it drained much faster than it should.

Overall another fantastic game from Rockstar, kudos to the team(s) that worked on it.

Easily my favorite action game in recent memory. It doesn't really matter at this point, but I cannot fathom how GT could of given this game a 7.8. Mind boggling to say the least.

Varna

Easily my favorite action game in recent memory. It doesn't really matter at this point, but I cannot fathom how GT could of given this game a 7.8. Mind boggling to say the least.

The way the game constantly takes control away from you to plop you down were it wants you to begin the encounter is frustrating enough to warrant that kind of dislike. Because the game doesn't give you 100% coverage from behind cover (which I think it's fair btw) some encounters began with Max just falling... it's incredibly frustrating to begin a battle having to use 2 painkillers just to position myself properly. :/

This game didn't need to have a cutscenes every fucken time you open a door.

Card Boy

Banned
Fuck i encounted my first hacker. Beware of Vincelot. He was spamming the Level 3 Slow Burst perk every one second and had unlimited RPG bullets spamming everywhere.

How do i report this cunt?

But there is no other shooter out there where it is so satisfying to shoot dudes.

LIES! I will not have such grand statements bandied about this office willy-nilly.

Seriously, though, there are plenty of other shooters that do feedback and all that jazz just as well, if not better than MP3. Awesome body reaction physics alone does not awesome gunplay make, you guys.

You guys.

And what Varna^^^ said, but you've heard all of this from me before :p.

soultron

Banned
Need multiplatform examples of games that do better hit-reaction/feedback, plz.

I'm not saying they're not out there, I'm just curious to hear some of your recommendations.

MMaRsu

Fuck i encounted my first hacker. Beware of Vincelot. He was spamming the Level 3 Slow Burst perk every one second and had unlimited RPG bullets spamming everywhere.

How do i report this cunt?

What lvl was he? You unlock an rpg later that has quite a bit of ammo and he could use burst after every kill.

Card Boy

Banned
What lvl was he? You unlock an rpg later that has quite a bit of ammo and he could use burst after every kill.

I think like under level 10? It was hacked he was spamming lieterally unlimited bullets, anyone that came near him died, both teammate and enemy. The level 3 slow perk was going off literally every one second just from this one guy for 10minutes straight.

Kritz

Banned
So, these impressions are past the point of relevancy, but what the shit. I knocked the game out over the past day, taking about nine hours on medium. The game has a legitimately good story, and the raw shooting is some of the best around. Most of my post is coming from the perspective of someone who loves with a passion the first two games, on top of that I think that the majority of Rockstar games are garbage. So, I hated Max Payne 3. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best games this year and on top of that it's the best game Rockstar have ever made. Where most Rockstar games are 40 hours of filler and 5 hours of cutscenes, Max manages to trim that down to 6 hours of fun, an hour of cutscenes, and 20 set pieces of bullshit.

I was never one to care about the "noire" of Max Payne 1 and 2. I liked those games because they were six hours of slow motion Italian murderin' story time. I think that the two Max Payne games are bested only by STALKER and Half Life as my favourite games of all time. I loved being a guy in a trench coat, shooting pistols (and only pistols), and sitting behind a corner waiting for two dudes to finish talking about eskimos before blasting their brains out. That's a pretty superficial thing to like about a game. I don't care. It's why I love The Darkness, and Mafia 1+2. It's why Godfather, Goodfellas and fucking Shoot Em Up are so great to me. I like Mafia stories. So, what can I do. I came into this game to hate it. Not in some half-assed, "oh I thought it'd be shit but it's actually really good" kind of way. In the best kind of anti-social internet superhero kind of way, where even if this game was by some foul magic the exact game I wanted it to be, I'd still hate it out of spite.

So, to reiterate, I hate Max Payne 3. At the bare minimum I'm self aware, though it doesn't make me sound any less idiotic. I'm some knuckledragging asshole who just wants to get angry at something existing. But, at least let me extrapolate why.

Multiple forced slow motion set pieces, multiple unlimited ammunition vehicle turret sequences, multiple moments requiring you to shoot a rocket / grenade / rocket-grenade out of the air, collectables, failure conditions for exploring, characters repeatedly verbally nagging you to progress, mash a button to do a thing QTE that only appears once, a QTE boss battle that only appears once and never again, identical minibosses with LMGs that are cloned level to level, forced cover sequences where you cannot exit cover, inexplicable failure conditions during boss battles, contextual verbalisation of every second painkiller item you find in the game which would be kind of cool if it didn't happen so frequently and the item reselection thing after every single cutscene in the game.

By "extrapolate why", I mean... whatever it is I just did.

So, I guess, I just hate modernisation. Not all of those problems are actually caused by it. Heck, most of them aren't. I just don't get why those elements are there in a game that has no reason for them to exist. If a game is going to contain shit like vehicle sequences, or QTEs, or cloned boss fights... why not just make it shorter? Oh, because the script calls for a boat chase or a car chase or for max to do something besides shoot the bad guy. So we need to replace the vocabulary we gave the player for a few minutes, so the movie we made can still work.

I can't say much more than that. Well, I can. I just don't want to because it will sound even more petty and banal. So, there you have it. Max Payne 3 has some design elements I don't like, therefore it's a shit game. Which isn't true. The game's fantastic. It just isn't the same as what I wanted. It was never going to be what I wanted, and even if it was I don't think it would be.

So, there's that.

Sidzed2

LIES! I will not have such grand statements bandied about this office willy-nilly.

Seriously, though, there are plenty of other shooters that do feedback and all that jazz just as well, if not better than MP3. Awesome body reaction physics alone does not awesome gunplay make, you guys.

You guys.

And what Varna^^^ said, but you've heard all of this from me before :p.

Nah, in the world of TPS combat, MP3 reigns supreme. Few if any TPS boast gunplay as exciting. If you know of or have played games with combat as good, please tell me so I can play right now :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
First impressions:

- Mouse aiming feels like shit. I'm not using any AA what-so-ever.
- Cutscenes fucking everywhere.
- The flickering and floating text film style is overused to the point of satire.
- "I'm moving too slow FISSION MAILED" sucks.

The above may or may not be soured by a unbelievably dumb install error that prevent myself and others from loading the game without renaming a folder.

So, these impressions are past the point of relevancy, but what the shit. I knocked the game out over the past day, taking about nine hours on medium. The game has a legitimately good story, and the raw shooting is some of the best around. Most of my post is coming from the perspective of someone who loves with a passion the first two games, on top of that I think that the majority of Rockstar games are garbage. So, I hated Max Payne 3. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best games this year and on top of that it's the best game Rockstar have ever made. Where most Rockstar games are 40 hours of filler and 5 hours of cutscenes, Max manages to trim that down to 6 hours of fun, an hour of cutscenes, and 20 set pieces of bullshit.

I was never one to care about the "noire" of Max Payne 1 and 2. I liked those games because they were six hours of slow motion Italian murderin' story time. I think that the two Max Payne games are bested only by STALKER and Half Life as my favourite games of all time. I loved being a guy in a trench coat, shooting pistols (and only pistols), and sitting behind a corner waiting for two dudes to finish talking about eskimos before blasting their brains out. That's a pretty superficial thing to like about a game. I don't care. It's why I love The Darkness, and Mafia 1+2. It's why Godfather, Goodfellas and fucking Shoot Em Up are so great to me. I like Mafia stories. So, what can I do. I came into this game to hate it. Not in some half-assed, "oh I thought it'd be shit but it's actually really good" kind of way. In the best kind of anti-social internet superhero kind of way, where even if this game was by some foul magic the exact game I wanted it to be, I'd still hate it out of spite.

So, to reiterate, I hate Max Payne 3. At the bare minimum I'm self aware, though it doesn't make me sound any less idiotic. I'm some knuckledragging asshole who just wants to get angry at something existing. But, at least let me extrapolate why.

Multiple forced slow motion set pieces, multiple unlimited ammunition vehicle turret sequences, multiple moments requiring you to shoot a rocket / grenade / rocket-grenade out of the air, collectables, failure conditions for exploring, characters repeatedly verbally nagging you to progress, mash a button to do a thing QTE that only appears once, a QTE boss battle that only appears once and never again, identical minibosses with LMGs that are cloned level to level, forced cover sequences where you cannot exit cover, inexplicable failure conditions during boss battles, contextual verbalisation of every second painkiller item you find in the game which would be kind of cool if it didn't happen so frequently and the item reselection thing after every single cutscene in the game.

By "extrapolate why", I mean... whatever it is I just did.

So, I guess, I just hate modernisation. Not all of those problems are actually caused by it. Heck, most of them aren't. I just don't get why those elements are there in a game that has no reason for them to exist. If a game is going to contain shit like vehicle sequences, or QTEs, or cloned boss fights... why not just make it shorter? Oh, because the script calls for a boat chase or a car chase or for max to do something besides shoot the bad guy. So we need to replace the vocabulary we gave the player for a few minutes, so the movie we made can still work.

I can't say much more than that. Well, I can. I just don't want to because it will sound even more petty and banal. So, there you have it. Max Payne 3 has some design elements I don't like, therefore it's a shit game. Which isn't true. The game's fantastic. It just isn't the same as what I wanted. It was never going to be what I wanted, and even if it was I don't think it would be.

So, there's that.
So you like Max Payne 3.

Zeliard

No, but it sure as shit does help, heh. One of the most distinctive aspects of Max Payne 2 was its extensive use of Havok physics. This takes that like 20 steps beyond. The feedback to the player while shooting in MP3 is unmatched relative to any game I've ever played.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ive been having great games last night with weak spot! We were ripping it up!

We had a few good rounds and even one a few battles against other crews, till PRED (Predator) showed up and relied on spamming rpgs all round. Not sure on the gaf names of the people we were with, but we managed to get 5 together on PS3.

Looking forward to playing some more with you, you were owning hard, 35+ kills one match hahahaha. Sadly, the time zone puts us a bit out of whack since it's not far past midnight when you pop online and I am at work, but am keen for some more crewing up fun!

Salsa

First impressions:

- Mouse aiming feels like shit. I'm not using any AA what-so-ever.
- Cutscenes fucking everywhere.
- The flickering and floating text film style is overused to the point of satire.
- "I'm moving too slow FISSION MAILED" sucks.

The above may or may not be soured by a unbelievably dumb install error that prevent myself and others from loading the game without renaming a folder.

gets better

one good thing about the game (for me, since others said their highlight was the noir bar stuff, wich, although it was neat and the most stylish part of the thing
along with the graveyard
still has too much cutscene hand holdy stuff and whatnot), is that it gets progressively better as you go through it. Im pretty much at the end now and shit is going down.

Also:

sogood

willooi

inA8r6bMMOhJ.PNG

New York Minute name also makes me think of a flashback NY setting. Maybe more Max + Passos stuff.

I'm guessing it's got something to do with when Passos calls for help when the two of them are
hiding out in the Church
. Seems like a great little spot left open-ended for an extra mission.

Part of me is hoping that Mona living is canon, and that somehow, Passos knew her as well and that's who they call for backup...

Card Boy

Banned
I can't stop playing the multiplayer. Its a sickness. Sogooooooooooooooooooooooood/

Last time i got this hooked was on Red Dead Redemption with friends.

paischtu

Neo Member
* Text chat needs to stay on screen longer
* Dedicated servers
* All Playlists should be unlocked straight up
* Remove softlock playlists, it splinters the community across two diffrent playlists (im owning in free aim with a 360 pad ffs!)
* Some indication on how many people are in a playlist

True, the unlock system is horrible.

But on Xbox you can see how many people are playing in a playlist AND how many games are live..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And there goes all my saved progress.

Never again, Rockstar. Never again.

Solo

Literally my only 2 gripes with the game are both with respect to idiotic design decisions with respect to guns.

1. Max ALWAYS switches back to his pistol after a cutscene. Fucking dumb.
2. There is a weird glitch with using the mousewheel to swap weapons that often results in me dropping my 2 handed weapon.

Other than that though, its pure love. I think Im down to the final two chapters now :_(

jet1911

Well, well, well problems are starting on my end it seems. I played 5 hours ago and the game ran flawlessly. Just started the game now and I'm getting like 10 fps in the menus/in game.

:(

EDIT: Fuck even by lowering the resolution changing the direct X version (from 11 to 9) the game is still slooooooooooow... And here I was about to praise Rockstar for the amazing port. :/

Rur0ni

I'm at Chapter 8 or so. Really enjoying this game. Playing everything on max settings with AA on a GTX 470, 2500k, 16GB DDR3. Game looks amazing, and the gunplay is seriously fun and doesn't feel too slow because of the cover, it really fits. And really nice gore that doesn't feel over the top. Only niggle I have with the game is how max can get covered in bullet holes lol.

One great moment from the game for me:

At the level where you try to protect the brother with the tech geek.. at the end there where they roll in with the van and you fight the armored enemy.. I was stuck behind cover and he was lighting me up.. but I entered bullet time and rolled and picked up an AR in one motion, entered shoot dodge and defeated him via multiple head shots. Extremely satisfying.

Dripping with style of course too. Love the different start and quit screens.

Sethos

Banned
What the fuck is up with the
last boss
that is the biggest, cheapest fucking joke I've ever seen. Seriously, fuck this games single-player from here to the end of the world. Cheapest shit game I've played in years.

Fix the damn mouse acceleration so I can start some multiplayer.

Top Bottom