• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Derrick01

Banned
Well then by your opinion, every game is stale and repetitive and boring.

Almost every linear shooter, yes. Once you see every cutscene there's no point in playing because in most of these games the shooting is unsatisfying and/or unchanging. Slo mo, cover, standing on my head or whatever other gimmick is there doesn't change the end result.

Gui_PT

Almost every linear shooter, yes. Once you see every cutscene there's no point in playing because in most of these games the shooting is unsatisfying and/or unchanging. Slo mo, cover, standing on my head or whatever other gimmick is there doesn't change the end result.

You make it seem like you play games to watch cutscenes and get to the end.

It's all about the journey man. Enjoy the journey man, have some fun!

NullPointer knows what it's all about

Derrick01

Banned
You make it seem like you play games to watch cutscenes and get to the end.

It's all about the journey man. Enjoy the journey man, have some fun!

Nothing much happened. It's not like COD or other linear shooters where shit's blowing up every 5 seconds. Usually it was clear a room, watch a cutscene where more people come in, kill them, listen to max talk about how emo he is and repeat. There were some high quality moments really late in the game but not very many. The journey was shooting about 3000 people, give or take a couple hundred.

bidaum

I bitched earlier in the thread that the game felt like monster closets and bad shooting; that was on console. This is a completely different game on PC, and I mean that in a good way (at least for me, I could just be totally console retarded).

Deadbeat

Banned
So I beat the game and I stand by my comparison of Man on Fire: Payne™ Edition.

Anyways, the real thing we need to talk about is the multiplayer. Does body armor protect from explosive damage? Why is the mini 30 absolute murder? Ruger obviously moneyhatted Rockstar.

Lima

But there is no other shooter out there where it is so satisfying to shoot dudes.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Finally finished downloading it over Steam and played the first few levels. It looks quite nice though it doesn't impress me as much as Max Payne 2 did back then. The face modeling while clearly a generation or whatever ahead isn't as convincing either. I'm very happy with the performance though, I can max it on my aging PC (on DX10, no 11 features for me). Though I slightly lowered some settings to maintain even smoother performance it wasn't really necessary. The game itself, I don't really like so far in the story mode. The cut scenes are drawn out and the gameplay feels compromised to have that cinematic look, like holding few weapons, diving being of limited use in cramped environments because Max gets hurt or worse if he hits objects or walls, pain killers and ammo seem to be in short supply too on medium difficulty which makes me think I'm playing it wrong by trying to play it like the previous games, maybe it's more of a cover shooter this time since it has that mechanic, which I really don't like the pacing of...

Also, shooting doesn't even feel as solid and satisfying as Alan Wake's did. I didn't like that game too much either, the pacing, story, enemies, etc, but the actual shooting had a nice weighty feel to it, even with a simple handgun.

Derrick01

Banned
But there is no other shooter out there where it is so satisfying to shoot dudes.

It was ok at first but they throw so many at you with no variety in the mechanics that I was over it by chapter 3 or 4. I think I even posted here about it when I had stopped at the stadium. By that point I'm pretty sure the kill count was already in the hundreds. By the end of the game I had seen someone get blasted in the face so many times I was mashing buttons to get the camera off of him so I could keep going.

Gui_PT

pain killers seem to be in short supply too on medium difficulty which makes me think I'm playing it wrong by trying to play it like the previous games, maybe it's more of a cover shooter this time since it has that mechanic, which I really don't like the pacing of...

There's tons of painkillers in the game. They just don't put them in the obvious spots

And the cover shooter thing was discussed a few posts above yours

Lucius86

Banned
So I am on Chapter X now - been an interesting ride to say the least so far, but I can't get over these damn cut-scenes and the general vibe that this is no longer the Max Payne I knew and loved.

All this flashiness and random cuts look crap, is very annoying and happens FAR too often. I'm running down a hallway, approach a door - cut scene. Shoot 5 bad guys. Go to next door - cut scene again. Clear the next room? Cut scene. ARGGHHH. Let me have some continuity!

I do like how some of these cut scenes meld seamlessly into the segment of the game where the player takes control. I also think the gun play is pretty top notch, but doesn't really break new ground either.

But I miss being in the cold New York. I miss the old style of story-telling with the comic strips. I miss bullet-dodging in the snow.

It's been fun so far, and I like some of the stuff R* have done - but I wish the general setting was similar to what we had with MP1 and MP2. C'est la vie.

What I love about MP3 as well as 2 and 1 are the environments, how going into a fight and coming out of one will messy up a room and stay that way. Bloody footprints stay on the ground, pillars are chipped, glass is scattered, props in the environment are sprinkled across the dead you leave in your path. I like the slow mo because of this because it helps accentuate that.

Another thing I really like that's new to MP3 is the upgrade in the physics. The ragdoll is really fluid, but I also love what it does to your character control. At some point in chapter 2 you start off an encounter with lights flashed on you at the top of the stairs for the rows of seats at a stadium, I shoot dodged my way forward shooting a couple of guys along the way but when the slow motion stopped and I hit the ground the momentum kept me sliding all the way down the stairs and when I made it to the bottom I kicked in bullet time and popped the last few. That wasn't scripted, that wasn't a forced interaction, that was just an in the moment combat sequence I managed to pull off that was very satisfying and will stay imprinted in my memory of this game.

Montresor

I just started up a new NYMH run, and I noticed something pretty subtle. At the very beginning of the game, before you save Fabianna at the rooftop party, you hear Fabianna scream. I've heard Max say the following a bunch of times: "That was the boss lady, but this time she didn't want more vodka in her cosmo."

Now he's saying "That was the boss lady, but this time she didn't want more liquor in her cocktail."

Neat. I wonder what other parts of the game have alternate lines like that.

It was ok at first but they throw so many at you with no variety in the mechanics that I was over it by chapter 3 or 4. I think I even posted here about it when I had stopped at the stadium. By that point I'm pretty sure the kill count was already in the hundreds. By the end of the game I had seen someone get blasted in the face so many times I was mashing buttons to get the camera off of him so I could keep going.

If you don't enjoy shooting dudes with the best body physics going today, you won't enjoy this game. Obviously you fall in that camp. It's a pure shooter. In that sense, there is no variety. But if you're like me, someone totally bored with the mechanics of every other shooter on the market due to weak guns and mostly nonexistent enemy reaction, you'd be in shooter heaven. The fact that you can say you got TIRED of shooting these fools in the face explains it all. You came into this game wanting the wrong experience, honestly.

If you don't enjoy shooting dudes with the best body physics going today, you won't enjoy this game. Obviously you fall in that camp. It's a pure shooter. In that sense, there is no variety. But if you're like me, someone totally bored with the mechanics of every other shooter on the market due to weak guns and mostly nonexistent enemy reaction, you'd be in shooter heaven. The fact that you can say you got TIRED of shooting these fools in the face explains it all. You came into this game wanting the wrong experience, honestly.

I can't even imagine how many times I quickloaded Max Payne 2 just to see the various ways I can fuck guys up. And I'd say this game is a worthy successor to that (and even more) with Euphoria.

MMaRsu

been playing so much of the multiplayer that I just tried to loot a body in story mode

Heh I've done that a few times. I'm actually glad you cant throw grenades in SP though, I mean they knew it was a bad mechanic and they left it out ( I think ).

Have you never played Max Payne 1 or 2? It's literally the only way I can fathom most of your complaints.

I think I answered you already on that but no I didn't play them.

Enco

As amazing as the physics are, I wish the NPCs reacted well to the shots.

I don't want to kneecap someone only for them to get up and walk towards me. I also don't want to shoot someones arm only for him to carry on shooting me with his machine gun.

Maybe in GTA V.

woober

So I just finished the game on PC. Here's my perspective as a fan of the original 2:

It's a story about Max with a notably different style. I still miss the psychotic dream world stuff that was present in the first 2 games. Despite it's differences, I still enjoyed Rockstar's version. They carried Max's character over and made the events that happen after he leaves America believable.

The game did feel lengthy, but I was not annoyed as much by it possibly because I knew about it beforehand. Playing the game on Hard was definitely a challenge at certain points. Graphically the game looked top notch. It reminded me of The Witcher 2 with its detail with the environment littered with a shitton of stuff you'd see in real life. Rooms did not seem void of life and cover did not look like they were placed there for the sake of gameplay (ala Mass Effect). Everything looked natural, which is amazing considering the locales they picked.

The ending was very fitting and the music brought it home. DAT MUSIC. DAT MAX.

Will try out multi when I get a chance.

Probably not the best choice of words as he doesn't necessarily complain about how shitty his life is.

He's more like me amplified times 100. His negativity and cynicism on the narration parts even grates on me.

He's an old bad ass, surrounded by douchebags and a million reasons to be mad about it. Script is so good.

What I really can't get out of my head is that this game feels, at times, like we're in several small shooting galleries per chapter rather than 1 large cohesive level per chapter. In the previous titles (and let me preface that by saying I know R* isn't Remedy and they make games their own way, but they took an existing franchise that has established criteria that make it a Max Payne game) each chapter was a large envionment you could explore from beginning to end and back if you wanted with a few exemptions due to story events. In MP3 the majority of the levels are broken up into small pieces that you can't really freely explore or interact with on the same level as the previous games; I hated that I could only interact with a part of a level when it tells me to press Y. It makes it feel shallow to me and that broke a lot of the immersion honestly.

I hated going through a door on MP3 and then suddenly it locks behind me and I can't backtrack if I want to... it reminded me of the original Super Mario Brothers, and it happened far too often.

The game feels a little too guided at times as well. The walking slow thing when you near a point of interest is annoying, and the game feels like it's trying too hard to make things obvious to me.

zedge

God damn this game looks good on pc.. holy shit.

Up to Act 7, enjoying it so far.

Tried a few multi player rounds, wow, its like uncharted but it doesn't suck and still looks amazing.

MMaRsu

God damn this game looks good on pc.. holy shit.

Up to Act 7, enjoying it so far.

Tried a few multi player rounds, wow, its like uncharted but it doesn't suck and still looks amazing.

Once you get the bullet time burst and you have a bull pistol in one hand and a decked out M10 youll be shooting fools left and right. Broncos office is a great map. I also love hoboken tenements..

woober

Another badass Max shot that I captured.

ibxm9vztJDDxTr.bmp

Voidance

It's weird, when I finished the game, I had quite mixed feelings on it -- the graphics were inconsistent toward the end, the gameplay was getting stale, Max as a character was entertaining, and I'm a sucker for good revenge stories -- but, as a few days passed, I couldn't stop thinking about the game.

Now, I've replayed it once to wipe up the collectibles and have really noticed much of the detail I missed in my first playthrough, all the subtleties of a Rockstar game. I have to agree with those who assert that it's one of the best third-person shooters released this generation, especially from a mechanical standpoint. What a hell of a way to start the summer.

Airan

Game looks stunning on PC. Environments haven't impressed me this much since Uncharted 3.

I wasn't too fond of the change of shootdodge consuming bullet time gauge, but since I found out really late in the game that I could simply hide in cover and let my gauge build up again I didn't mind too much. you can even toggle out of bullet time mid dodge if you needed to conserve :D

Sethos

Banned
I'm at the very end but I simply cannot force myself to complete it, so fed up with the single-player part of the game. Never have I played a game with such strong gameplay mechanics but such a bad Single-Player part that gameplay can't save it. The amount of cutscenes is criminal, an obvious technical snafu to constantly provide loading headroom on the consoles. So many of these cutscenes are completely superfluous, just to show Max opening a door and saying something whilst looking at something random. It's like 90% of doors you open starts a cutscene.

Then you are put in this completely cheap, exposed situations as often as they can. Plonk you down behind some tiny cover with enemies above, in front and to both sides and then you can just get crackin' and that's where a lot of the deaths come from. Also, while the AI has some strong point it's not all its cracked up to be. Another god-tier AI that can hit you 3-4 times 0.8 Milisecond after popping out of cover. They also gave some of them godly X-ray vision, so whenever you aim at their position they just stay in cover. The SECOND you let go of the mouse they start to pop out, hit it quickly again and back in the go. When you are exposed, like laying on your back and pressing any button to get up, that second everyone just pop out and shoot at you - Even when they have no chance of seeing you, even when you're behind 30 objects they can still see that and rush you.

This game isn't hard in that it challenges you in the ordinary sense. It's hard because you are put in so many cheap situations with a god-tier AI and a million of them. So it's a big fat trial and error game, which some probably like but I loathe that kind of gameplay.

So I'll get started on Multiplayer when they fix mouse acceleration but else I guess there's arcade mode and hopefully some upcoming co-op DLC. Story mode is this games Achilles heel in my opinion.

Although I'm probably alone on this one - Hopefully everyone else enjoys it more than I do / did. This may very well be the first Rockstar game I've played where I hated the SP portion.

Salsa

Heh I've done that a few times. I'm actually glad you cant throw grenades in SP though, I mean they knew it was a bad mechanic and they left it out ( I think ).

That's super janky in MP yeah. They need to fix that up a little bit. Takes too much time to throw one, the throw range is way off and it ends up anywhere, you cant throw them while laying on the floor, etc.

Salsa

jbxqjerk5cBNQM.jpg

The green light washed the lies away. My whole life was just fabric, pockets hanging to my sides like bubbles.

I was pants.

Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible glitch I could think of.

jZOxBzRaw2g3Q.jpg

ArjanN

He's more like me amplified times 100. His negativity and cynicism on the narration parts even grates on me.

"Derrick01 begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 12:27 a.m. GMT+1, June 4th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is the game modable, are there hopes for a Kung Fu Mod? Maybe it could also be a disable-useless-cutscenes and other annoyances catch all mod.

Card Boy

Banned
This is one of the best multiplier experiences i have had in the last few years. It takes an absolute dump over Uncharteds MP. Unlike COD the game is 100% anti-camper which is awesome. I'm owning the shit out of people online with a 360 pad on PC. Also im playing people all over the world and the game has no noticeable lag whatsoever.

Afew things that needed to be improved.

* Text chat needs to stay on screen longer
* Dedicated servers
* All Playlists should be unlocked straight up
* Remove softlock playlists, it splinters the community across two diffrent playlists (im owning in free aim with a 360 pad ffs!)
* Some indication on how many people are in a playlist

Is it bad of me that i haven't even touched the SP yet but have 4 hrs in MP?

SeanR1221

Finally got this game. Easily the most intense fire fights of anything I've ever played.

So you can dodge whenever you want? Even with your meter empty?

Solo

Just finished Chapter 12. This game has pure, unadulterated swag dripping from ever pore. GOTY so far for a joke.

Top Bottom