• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MMaRsu

SERIOUS PAYNE TROPHY UNLOCKED!

Hell yea..that last chapter was actually quite a breeze on hard.. i even did the 'boss' part in two times!

This game is so fucking boss.. most certainly my favorite r* game..even above vice city..wow. cant wait to build a new pc and double dip.

The game is really great. I need to get used to the bullet time jump dogding. You cannot jump where you want like in the previous games lol. It's better that way though I alwas jump against a wall and Max is stunned (has to stand up again) for a moment :D

Is there any way to only shoot one weapon in dual wield? Like only shooting the one in the right hand?

Rigest

Neo Member
They're separate playlists.

Soft lock is for people who are too lazy to aim

I agree. Posted on Gamersuggestions that the XP reward for kills in free aim should be higher. Making kills in softlock is too easy and I think that many competive players want to rank up as fast as possible.

Killer

Banned
I just played this game yesterday and I LOVE IT! I didn't expect it to be this good. its like watching a movie and it reminds me a lot of Mel Gibson's (Get the gringo). The gameplay is sooo satisfying. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet so i hope its good :D.

Reviews were right: This game keeps dragging on and on. Just when I think I've reached the ending, the game throws another chapter. And then another. And then annother.

Still loving it, though.

dark_chris

I played this game and I liked it. Although it made me cringe when he shaved his head, I got over it. The soundtrack was awesome too.

iNvid02

second game on pc went great, the 360 pad seems easier to use than m/k
its just a huge step up from ps3, i would recommend pc for sure zedge - i sold the ps3 version and switched to pc

untitledz6ukw.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
PC or PS3?

PC:

Core i3
8GB ram
1GB 6850

PS3:

4D

Why would you even ask with that setup. Even if you played on medium it would be better than the ps3 version, but I only have a gtx470 and 6gb ram and I was able to run it at 60 with everything on high and texture on very high. PC no question.

Nekrono

Anyone playing on PC starting Chapter 5 that can upload their save?

I played continuosly yesterday from start to chapter 5 and took a break then when I come back my progress was lost.

iNvid02

Anyone playing on PC starting Chapter 5 that can upload their save?

I played continuosly yesterday from start to chapter 5 and took a break then when I come back my progress was lost.

my save doesn't work either, just keeps loading. usually i would be pissed but im just gonna replay it from the start

Mentioned in the other thread but is it just me or is there already rampant cheating?

Played 3 different rounds of Gang Wars over hte last hour and each had a guy going something like 50 and 1.

Duxxy3

Tried it on the PS3 and stopped after an hour. I hated it that much. Maybe it's because i played it on the PS3 instead of PC (which is how i played 1 and 2 long ago) but this just seems like generic cover based shooter #13245 to me.

Glad it was only a rental.

Gui_PT

Tried it on the PS3 and stopped after an hour. I hated it that much. Maybe it's because i played it on the PS3 instead of PC (which is how i played 1 and 2 long ago) but this just seems like generic cover based shooter #13245 to me.

You can play through the entire game without using cover a single time

Jb

It isn't.

I've seriously changed my mind about this game's visuals. The first two chapters didn't wow me, but I can't get over how cool some of the later chapters look. And it all runs so smoothly. Rockstar has done a great job and I'm now ridiculously excited about GTAV.

iNvid02

there is your problem

gaf judges stuff way too quickly

Gui_PT

It wasn't the case for me on hard. I would get nailed in one or two hits in some areas. Maybe I just suck.

Play the New York Minute mode. You'll learn how to play without cover.

Shootdodge into a room and heatshot the 6 enemies in there is one of the coolest things you can do.

God damn the cutscene at the start of the game is really fucking good. The main theme, Max breaking down, it's beautiful.

On my first playthrough I think there were only two times in the entire game where I actually "stop and popped" with cover. If you're not shoot dodging/bullet timing you're doing it wrong.

solarus

Well that's because you played it as a cover based shooter :/ Honestly I didn't make use of cover that much, I was using slow-mo and slow-mo dive all the time however to headshot suckers. That is how you're meant to play Max Payne.
EDIT: Played on normal btw.

I3rand0

The online for this game is so messed up right now on PS 3. I can't even join a game without running into connection/sync issues.

MMaRsu

I guess u forgot how 2 play.

Beaner

9 hours into the game for me to realize that you can shootdodge with an empty meter.

Wow.

Yeah I was probably on the second last mission before I discovered that. I kept waiting in cover for them to shoot at me and the bar fill up so I could shootdodge, since it drained while doing the dodge

Derrick01

Banned
there is your problem

gaf judges stuff way too quickly

He's right in the assessment though, other than the cover based part. You're supposed to slo mo dive through every room but that doesn't make it any more interesting once you've seen a guy get filled with bullets 100 times in the first 3 or 4 chapters. He could never progress any further and he will have seen everything there is to offer from a gameplay standpoint.

Gui_PT

He's right in the assessment though, other than the cover based part. You're supposed to slo mo dive through every room but that doesn't make it any more interesting once you've seen a guy get filled with bullets 100 times in the first 3 or 4 chapters. He could never progress any further and he will have seen everything there is to offer from a gameplay standpoint.

You can also play the game without using shootdodge

You ever guys ever heard of trying new things? You know, mix it up a little

You can play this game dozens of different ways

Gui_PT

No you can't. You shoot people and that's it.

Yes you can. You keep complaining about how the game is stale and repetitive but it's really not.

I don't know how else to explain this. This game has lots of variety. If you can't see it... I don't know

Derrick01

Banned
Yes you can. You keep complaining about how the game is stale and repetitive but it's really not.

I don't know how else to explain this. This game has lots of variety. If you can't see it... I don't know

Not using slo mo is not changing the game any. You're still doing nothing but shooting people. Placing meaningless artificial constraints on yourself doesn't change the game up any.

Gui_PT

Not using slo mo is not changing the game any. You're still doing nothing but shooting people. Placing meaningless artificial constraints on yourself doesn't change the game up any.

Well then by your opinion, every game is stale and repetitive and boring.

Must be a sad world you live in.

Its not artificial constraints. You choreograph your own action scenes here, so you decide how best to take down an area, whether that's relying upon cover, your natural aim, free wheeling slow mo, or well timed shoot-dodges, or a personal rhythm using all of the above.

This game isn't for everybody, but there is no "one way" to play out the action. That's a saving grace in a game that is so linear otherwise.

Visiting home this long-weekend so I've been playing this game on my little brother's account. It's an absolute riot. I especially love the slow-mo bullet cam kills at the end of a wave. Even made a gif of it over in the gif thread.

Top Bottom