• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Dries

Eeeh.. My fps is locked at 30 when I turn V sync on and turning off V snyc tears the whole screen up. Can you unlock the fps?

Edit: never mind

Montresor

Add me PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

I'm on 360. =(... =p

Hey, I play soft-lock 360 as well. I gave free-aim a try and enjoyed it for a while, but just got tired of all the sawed-off's.

Haven't picked up any of the DLC yet, have been debating it greatly. Did not know more DLC was on the way and checked it out. Looks great and makes me think I should actually pick up the Season Pass next pay period.

I'm Mr Jones 24 (with spaces).

I was on multiplayer free-aim when the game came out too, but the entire community has dropped off considerably, and free-aim in particular is all but dead.

Really disappointed with the poor support as well, and especially how the stadium map in the last DLC was a big letdown and with no Gang Wars on it either. Still, will be playing some more once the latest pack arrives. The game still needs more Gang Wars maps, but happy that the Panama Canal level will have it.

Feel free to add my on XBL: willooi.

Adding both of you. My gt is LordOdadjian. I got home from work so I'm gonna chill and play some Sleeping Dogs. But if you see me online and you're in the mood for Max multiplayer, send me a msg.

BadAss2961

Finally finished beating this game yesterday, it's a fun game but damn it just got so tiring towards the end

I get it's a shooter but there is literally zero variety in the 14 chapters besides doing the exact same thing in a different location

7/10 because it just got boring towards the end
I'm loving it. The first two games were the same way, but harder.

Quick question... If you complete the story and start a new game, all your stats and chapters unlocked remain intact right? Or no? PC version if that makes any difference.

Montresor

I'm loving it. The first two games were the same way, but harder.

Quick question... If you complete the story and start a new game, all your stats and chapters unlocked remain intact right? Or no? PC version if that makes any difference.

I don't know if PC version makes a difference (it likely doesn't). I'm on 360 but on there yep, your unlocked chapters remain the same, as do your stats (including any progress made towards grinds).

If you care about steam achievements, don't touch chapter select if you're in the middle of a playthrough. It'll invalidate any progress you make towards difficulty achievement. In other words, if you're in the middle of a "hard" difficulty playthrough and you enter chapter select, your auto save will be overwritten and you will have to start "hard" from the beginning using "new game" to get the achievement.

Dries

HOLY FUCK these graphics are insane... Can't believe my eyes. For the benchmarkers: Running everything at maximum settings with 4x MSAA and getting a solid 45 fps with:

i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz
8 GB ram
ATI 6970 2 GB
1920 x 1080

RedSwirl

Just got in a physical copy of the game in but I'm not quite ready to install it yet (I just got it now because it was $10 at the Microsoft Store). Is there somewhere I can enter the CD key without installing the game?

Man On Fire is probably the closest thing because of plot similarities and the flashing text effect, but I also get a very strong Michael Mann vibe in Rockstar's recent games (Max Payne 3 most of all).

The dialogue, the brutality of the gunfights, the somewhat film noir style, the music, the big cities. Lots of things in there remind me of some of Mann's films. Heat, Thief, Collateral, etc.

I always thought of this as basically "Man on Fire: the Game" right form when it was first unveiled.

Fry

Think I'll revist this again. Finished it back in June, played a few multiplayer matches after that, then never again.

Kind of missed it to be honest, I'll play the campaign again before getting Halo 4. This might be the most underrated game of the year.

KalBalboa

Banned
Think I'll revist this again. Finished it back in June, played a few multiplayer matches after that, then never again.

Kind of missed it to be honest, I'll play the campaign again before getting Halo 4. This might be the most underrated game of the year.

It's up there, for sure. Diablo 3 killed a lot of the initial hype, not to mention the Rockstar fallout after LA Noire. It's a really, really strong game with arguably the best shooting I've experienced.

BadAss2961

Finished the story earlier, excellent shooter.Best gameplay of its kind and very worthy of the Max Payne name. I don't do multiple playthroughs much, but i'm ready to play some more on harder difficulties.

Montresor

Roscoe Subway and Marty's Bar are two excellent maps.

I wish the multiplayer had a bigger audience. The little touches in all these maps are just amazing. Marty's Bar for example is yet another map that draws from the single player in a brilliant way. It has the exact same bar from Ch.4 and the morgue/church from Ch.8, sitting across the street from each other in the same map. It's great. And then there's the two Panama maps (one with the boat in the ocean, the other with the boat docked at Panama and a huge dockyard).

Roscoe's Subway isn't from MP3 (it's a reference to one of the old games) but it's wonderful too. Remember little touches? I love how when you're playing Payne Killer, the Max and Passos avatars reflect the clothes they wore in the single player chapter the map was inspired from... and in Roscoe's Subway, Max sports the classic Max Payne 1 avatar.

bndadm

Roscoe Subway and Marty's Bar are two excellent maps.

I wish the multiplayer had a bigger audience. The little touches in all these maps are just amazing. Marty's Bar for example is yet another map that draws from the single player in a brilliant way. It has the exact same bar from Ch.4 and the morgue/church from Ch.8, sitting across the street from each other in the same map. It's great. And then there's the two Panama maps (one with the boat in the ocean, the other with the boat docked at Panama and a huge dockyard).

Roscoe's Subway isn't from MP3 (it's a reference to one of the old games) but it's wonderful too. Remember little touches? I love how when you're playing Payne Killer, the Max and Passos avatars reflect the clothes they wore in the single player chapter the map was inspired from... and in Roscoe's Subway, Max sports the classic Max Payne 1 avatar.

I still haven't gotten off my lazy bum and bought any of the DLC, most out of fear that no one at all is playing the DLC maps. There is a choice though to search for games only using DLC content correct? (Xbox 360).

Montresor

I still haven't gotten off my lazy bum and bought any of the DLC, most out of fear that no one at all is playing the DLC maps. There is a choice though to search for games only using DLC content correct? (Xbox 360).

Yes there is a DLC-only playlist!

undrtakr900

I want to pick up the game again but have two questions:

1) Are there still people playing on xBox?
~ I rented it a few weeks after it came out and the online community was very barren, esp.--my favorite--free-aim mode :(

2) Does the coop DLC have a set release date?
~ This is what I'm anticipating most of all

Yes there is a DLC-only playlist!
That sounds good, but are there people playing it? Back when I rented it, some modes would only have a few players and I'd sit in the lobby as it was "seaching for more players"...

Montresor

I want to pick up the game again but have two questions:

1) Are there still people playing on xBox?
~ I rented it a few weeks after it came out and the online community was very barren, esp.--my favorite--free-aim mode :(

2) Does the coop DLC have a set release date?
~ This is what I'm anticipating most of all

That sounds good, but are there people playing it? Back when I rented it, some modes would only have a few players and I'd sit in the lobby as it was "seaching for more players"...

1) Free aim is probably dead across all modes. Sorry man. And I'm part of the problem too. I'm in soft lock and loving it. >.< In soft lock the games fill up pretty nicely. But it's usually the same dedicated people sticking it out from game to game. If enough people leave, the room will start to get dead, and the room won't re-populate. You'll have to leave and find another lobby.

2) No, but it's the last DLC left and it shouldn't take too long now. Hopefully it comes out in early January. Also, it won't just be a co-op pack, because awhile ago they combined some packs together. There'll be some new multiplayer maps to go along with the co-op DLC. And yep, I'm excited for that one too. But I hope they don't get mean and put some stupid hard co-op achievement in the same vein as new york minute hardcore. I don't want to go through that again.

undrtakr900

^^
1) What you described is pretty my experience when playing before. I had to learn to get used to soft-lock, because it had the only populated servers. Do people still play my fav. Payne Killer mode? Sometimes there weren't enough players to have a good match(even in soft-lock). For instance sometimes it would only have 4 players in a game, which would boil down to a 2v2 DM where one side is overpowered with bullettime.

2) Sweet, I just hope they have a coop-matchmaking as none of my friendlist still play this game anymore.
Whoa, you beat New York Minute hardcore?? Congrats, I don't think I would have the patience, especially thinking about all the loading-screen-cutscenes while having to start at Chp. 1 if I died :S But imagine how much more easier it would have been if you had a coop buddy to blast through it with ;)

Montresor

^^
1) What you described is pretty my experience when playing before. I had to learn to get used to soft-lock, because it had the only populated servers. Do people still play my fav. Payne Killer mode? Sometimes there weren't enough players to have a good match(even in soft-lock). For instance sometimes it would only have 4 players in a game, which would boil down to a 2v2 DM where one side is overpowered with bullettime.

2) Sweet, I just hope they have a coop-matchmaking as none of my friendlist still play this game anymore.
Whoa, you beat New York Minute hardcore?? Congrats, I don't think I would have the patience, especially thinking about all the loading-screen-cutscenes while having to start at Chp. 1 if I died :S But imagine how much more easier it would have been if you had a coop buddy to blast through it with ;)

For the Payne Killer dedicated mode, I wouldnt know sorry. But the DLC playlist has Payne Killer AND team deathmatch. The vote is always between two deathmatch maps and one Payne Killer map. If you voted for Payne Killer all the time and asked other players to do so, you could play a bunch of that mode (since in my experience the DLC playlist is usually good at filling up a room, initially at least).

And yep I beat NYMH haha, thanks. =)

I have no idea what to expect with the new NYM but I'm very excited. I'm thinking it's gotta be new missions because half the time Max is alone in the storyline - he doesn't always have Passos backing him up.

Montresor

I added two gaffers here but we have yet to play Max Payne 3 together haha. I think we've probably just been ignoring each other doing our own thing on the 360. ;)

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs almost exclusively the past week. Such an awesome game.

bndadm

I added two gaffers here but we have yet to play Max Payne 3 together haha. I think we've probably just been ignoring each other doing our own thing on the 360. ;)

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs almost exclusively the past week. Such an awesome game.

Ha, yeah that's my bad! BTW, I have to know, you get those multiplayer Max Payne 3 DLC achievements legit or boosting with friends? Because hot-damn man you're a beast!

Montresor

Ha, yeah that's my bad! BTW, I have to know, you get those multiplayer Max Payne 3 DLC achievements legit or boosting with friends? Because hot-damn man you're a beast!

Boosted. A lot of those DLC achievements are way too ridiculous to get through normal play haha.

And no need to say my bad heh, it's me too after all. I've just been playing nothing but Sleeping Dogs lately. And I'm gonna play the Halloween DLC for that game too later tonight

willooi

Hi Montresor, just letting you know I haven't forgotten about the friend add either! Once I get the time to sit down for some MP3 multi, I'll shoot you an invite =)

About the achievement boosting: I don't blame you with that Imperial Palace, 4 kills in 3 seconds one, or whatever it is. People hardly even play that map, never mind bunch up close enough in those numbers for a rocket to take em out!

strobogo

Banned
This is the first game I've ever played to give me motion sickness and headaches. I want to keep playing it, but after a half hour of game play I wanted to sit in the dark forever. It seems so cool and bad ass, but I can't handle the visuals. Makes me sad.

undrtakr900

For the Payne Killer dedicated mode, I wouldnt know sorry. But the DLC playlist has Payne Killer AND team deathmatch. The vote is always between two deathmatch maps and one Payne Killer map. If you voted for Payne Killer all the time and asked other players to do so, you could play a bunch of that mode (since in my experience the DLC playlist is usually good at filling up a room, initially at least).

And yep I beat NYMH haha, thanks. =)

I have no idea what to expect with the new NYM but I'm very excited. I'm thinking it's gotta be new missions because half the time Max is alone in the storyline - he doesn't always have Passos backing him up.
Oh that's good to hear that there's people actually playing the DLC, it has its own lobby just for DLC?

Yes it very impressive I barely made it through NYM on normal lol :p I used to be masochistic about games and come up with difficult challenges to make games harder. Like in Splinter Cell I would play with: (No bullets, gadgets, alert, alarms, kills/K.O.) Only difference now is achieving these difficult feats nets you some gamerscore :D

So they are releasing a new NYM DLC. Is it entirely new maps or just different setup/playstyle rules in gameplay?
=========

Dam all this talk is really making me want to go buy it again, but must...hold...off until finals are over lol

Montresor

undertaker I think no one knows anything about the next DLC pack other than it might have some maps (I believe it would have to, since they consolidated some packs together...) and it will DEFINITELY have a new NYM co-op mode. What that mode entails, I don't know.

Jhoan

There's a Triple XP event happening this weekend. Rockstar devs will be playing on Saturday from 11AM-2PM.

This might give me a reason to dust off the game and play the MP again after months of not having played it (RIP Free Aim) for the level achievement. The reason I stopped playing it was because sniper rifles were way too overpowered and I imagine they still are. Also, most of the 360 GAF clan lost interest in playing it.

Otherwise, it was pretty fun looting bodies for cash and having a Bullet Time show down. Maybe the R* devs can shed more light on lack of interest in Free Aim.

Otherwise, it was pretty fun looting bodies for cash and having a Bullet Time show down. Maybe the R* devs can shed more light on lack of interest in Free Aim.

The lack of interest in free aim is due to providing players with easy mode multiplayer aka soft lock. The majority will ALWAYS go for that because kills require less effort. R.I.P. free aim, indeed. Thanks for splitting the community right out the gate, Rockstar.

undrtakr900

The lack of interest in free aim is due to providing players with easy mode multiplayer aka soft lock. The majority will ALWAYS go for that because kills require less effort. R.I.P. free aim, indeed. Thanks for splitting the community right out the gate, Rockstar.
I played on xBox but I still can't figure out why they added soft-aim mode to the PC version??

WhyMe6

I just finished this, and a few control glitches aside (about six times in the whole game I'd become stuck on cover and was non-responsive or the buttons wouldn't do what they should, such as weapon selection prompting Max to pop out and start shooting) I really loved the game. They completely nailed the atmosphere, particularly in the very strong middle that the game had (Office/Favelas/Cruise Ship).

Danny 117

Is there any reason why I was kicked to the dashboard with no error message during chapter 6 when max gets out his gun?
The game is installed btw.

Random. But I just the shitty Max Payne on tv. I didn't know that Max Payne (James McCaffrey) was in Max Payne. He played some FBI guy who spoke maybe 3 lines. Shit made me hate the movie even more.

moop1167

Just grabbed this on PC. Is there a reason why I can't select 1920x1200 @ 60hz? It's only showing 59hz for refresh rate. Is that a bug and does it matter?

Coflash

I bought this game on release day, I played it through twice over 25 hours. A few days after my 2nd run through, I could no longer log in.

This was over 5 months ago (closer to 6).

Basically it says that either my 'redemption code' has already been used or that my profile is linked to another Steam user. It makes no sense. It was working fine for those initial 25 hours. I didn't even get to start on the Multiplayer.

I have a support ticket which has been closed multiple times. I have been to Rockstar, back to Valve, back to Rockstar with each of them trying to blame the other, neither offering a... (sorry, it's been 5 months) GOD DAMN FUCKING solution. *Ahem*. It's worth mentioning that in the 'support' ticket I've had to mention my Steam account name 11 times when it can clearly be seen in the history of the very same ticket, it's very frustrating. There was a point where I didn't even receive a reply for weeks.

So... they still have my money, I paid them, a full $60, yet I have a game I cannot play at all. I don't think that's fair.

What am I even left to do here in this situation? How long am I expected to wait?

undrtakr900

Random. But I just the shitty Max Payne on tv. I didn't know that Max Payne (James McCaffrey) was in Max Payne. He played some FBI guy who spoke maybe 3 lines. Shit made me hate the movie even more.
Oh God that movie was Horrible! Mila Kuniz as Mona Sax (Are you kidding me??) she's suppose to be a badass assassin, but looks like a frail girl who need bodyguards for protection. Also for a movie based on a game about slow-mo-gunfights it had the worst bullet-time segments. Like Max falling backward in extremely slow motion for 5 minutes to shoot one guy. Or when he's surrounded by cops in the office and instead of bad-ass slow mo shooting his way out, he runs like a bitch while shooting randomly. Just awful..

I_D

This is driving me crazy...

I got the game for Christmas (Gamespot digital purchase... ugh) and can't get the darn thing to play. It's the only game I've had issues with on this computer.

The game downloaded and installed just fine. Social club is working just fine, and I can log in with no issues. I have updated BIOS and drivers, I have .NET 3, and I have all the latest patches from the Rockstar site (because the game's autolauncher never works).

I can get to the "Press Enter" screen just fine, but immediately after pressing enter the game crashes to desktop with a standard windows error "send/not send" message.

I've tried moving it to different places on various hard drives (that's fun with 30 gigs), tried editing registries, tried running in a window, etc. I've done every single 'fix' I could find online including a fresh download and install.

Specs: Intel i3 3220, GTX 560ti 448, 2gb RAM, WinXP SP3

There are no official MP3 forums, and the Rockstar site's fixes did nothing.
I'm just about ready to ditch this game and struggle with Gamestop for a refund.

Any thoughts?

Zep

Banned
On January 22nd, we&#8217;ll be bringing you the final Max Payne 3 DLC pack for all platforms and it&#8217;s an action-packed doozy stuffed with new co-op and competitive modes, plus other awesome treats for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer.

Stay tuned in the coming days as we&#8217;ll be revealing what&#8217;s in the Deathmatch Made in Heaven Pack in greater detail &#8211; but as you can see in the pack&#8217;s official artwork above, Max and Passos will no doubt have their hands full&#8230;

The Deathmatch Made in Heaven Pack will be available in all territories on January 22nd for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE and $9.99 on PC and PSN in North America (this pack will be available for PS3 players in Europe on January 30th). Of course, Rockstar Pass owners will receive this content at no additional charge.

cheechxc5.jpg

undrtakr900

On January 22nd, we’ll be bringing you the final Max Payne 3 DLC pack for all platforms and it’s an action-packed doozy stuffed with new co-op and competitive modes, plus other awesome treats for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer.
Aw hells yeah, I've been waiting for CooP all this time :D I just bought MP3 for $15 dollars today at a Blockbuster that was closing, just in time.

Question:
I haven't been following the updates, so will the coop be entirely new levels or will they just throw a second character into the single-player(I hope without cutscenes, ugh). Or is it both?

Montresor

Aw hells yeah, I've been waiting for CooP all this time :D I just bought MP3 for $15 dollars today at a Blockbuster that was closing, just in time.

Question:
I haven't been following the updates, so will the coop be entirely new levels or will they just throw a second character into the single-player(I hope without cutscenes, ugh). Or is it both?

We don't know anything yet unfortunately. But thankfully the DLC is dropping in TWO days!!! =) I'm worried there's going to be some tough as balls achievement that'll prevent me from getting the full 1500/1500 but we'll see. I'm game for whatever challenge they have. Gosh, I just love this line from Rockstar:

"Stay tuned in the coming days as we’ll be revealing what’s in the Deathmatch Made in Heaven Pack in greater detail – but as you can see in the pack’s official artwork above, Max and Passos will no doubt have their hands full…"

When are they gonna add the DLC that removes the useless, obtrusive, flow-destroying cutscenes every time Max opens a door or clears a room?

That wasn't even good. I just couldn't resist.

Blergh at this comment. =/

http://m.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/48411/deathmatch-made-in-heavens-four-new-modes-dead-men-walking-run-a.html/#comments

Tomorrow's Deathmatch Made in Heaven DLC Pack for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer features four electrifying new multiplayer modes, including the much-anticipated Dead Men Walking two-player cooperative mode.

In addition to Dead Men Walking, which puts you and a friend up against an endless onslaught of adversaries, there also the new Run & Stun mode featuring Captain Baseball Bat Boy's mischievous nemesis Saci, Marked Man which adds vendetta fueled multipliers to traditional Deathmatch and a new Time Attack mode which awards bonus points for successful kill streaks in a competitive free-for-all.

Check out the feature below for a preview of all four new modes, complete with screens from each one, and look for details on the new weapons and Items included in the pack later today.

Dead Men Walking should be fun, but no single player version of it? Fucking really, Rockstar? And what happened to New York Minute co-op?

Montresor

Dammit, the new Challenge mode is not playable for me, since every selection is locked (they show 17 different locked selections, which makes sense as I recall there being 17 chapters).

Aaarggh... this is most likely because I lost all my save files awhile back. So I'm gonna have to run through the game one more time in the main story mode. That's going to be my 8th full playthrough of the game (12th full playthrough if you count all the New York Minute Hardcore failures I endured). And challenge mode will make for another playthrough, at 9th/13th.

I'm rusty so there is no way in HELL I'm touching the Hard mode. I'll play through it on Medium. And I'll try to not skip any cutscenes, as it would be interesting to see if I still enjoy them all, or if I'll join the group that dislikes them very much. I never got too bothered by them. I only got annoyed by the unskippable cutscenes when I mistakenly picked the wrong chapter in chapter select and was forced to watch a long cutscene before I could back out to the main menu. But the cutscenes during normal game play? I loved them.

Top Bottom