• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

wow i wasn't sure of the MP but that team deathmatch video looked fun. I just like the vibe I'm getting from it. Feels rockstarish/unchartedish.

MMaRsu

But as enjoyable as the gunplay can be, the game is way too long. The action is incredibly one-note, and isn't rich or nuanced enough to justify the 10-12 hour running time.

Lololol awesome game is too long fuck this noise preorder cancelled

Smokey

I am waiting for the PC version, but in the meantime I signed up for Gamefly yesterday and the game shipped this morning.

Get to play it two weeks earlier than my main version and didn't have to double dip <3

MMaRsu

It&#8217;s clear that a lot of attention has been paid to presentation and atmosphere, and so it&#8217;s unfortunate that the façade slips on too many occasions. Individually the irritations are minor, but added up they subtract from the overall package &#8211; particularly as they seem like such easy things to fix. For instance: Max can carry three weapons, two single-handed (which can be dual-wielded) and something bigger such as a shotgun or assault rifle. Often, particularly during tough sections, you have the latter equipped. However, after each of the mid-level cut-scenes &#8211; many of which lead directly into another frantic firefight &#8211; you&#8217;re defaulted back to holding just a single one-hander. Thus, when you pop out of cover to take on the world, you&#8217;re woefully outgunned as a volley of shot comes flying at your head. Dead. Retry.

Damn that's annoying.

While characters in Max Payne 3 tend toward caricature, the sense of place is as well-realized as anything Rockstar has done.

Goddamnit R*, WHY must you ALWAYS do this?????????

Read CVG's review: main complaints were length due to the lack of variety, and lack of humour.

I can deal with that - I want me some silly OTT violent shooting action.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have a bad feeling about the PC version.

From what reviews are suggesting, the game uses video clips (probably of high quality considering the size of the game) to hide loading screens. This works really well with console games where the videos can playback smoothly while data loads behind the scenes but it RARELY works well on the PC.

I fear we'll end up with 720p video clips mixed with higher resolution gameplay which will kill the sense of cohesion. Furthermore, PC games tend to have troubles running video while loading in the background with regular hiccups and other small issues even when run from an SSD.

Crysis 2 is an interesting take on this. With the console versions, they loaded the level while the between mission videos played. On the PC, however, there is a separate loading screen used instead of videos.

I'm not sure why these problems seem to crop up on the PC so regularly, but video playback mixed with loading never seems to work well.

Mechazawa

I have a bad feeling about the PC version.

From what reviews are suggesting, the game uses video clips (probably of high quality considering the size of the game) to hide loading screens. This works really well with console games where the videos can playback smoothly while data loads behind the scenes but it RARELY works well on the PC.

I fear we'll end up with 720p video clips mixed with higher resolution gameplay which will kill the sense of cohesion. Furthermore, PC games tend to have troubles running video while loading in the background with regular hiccups and other small issues even when run from an SSD.

Crysis 2 is an interesting take on this. With the console versions, they loaded the level while the between mission videos played. On the PC, however, there is a separate loading screen used instead of videos.

I'm not sure why these problems seem to crop up on the PC so regularly, but video playback mixed with loading never seems to work well.

Weren't PS3 players complaining about framerate issues on cutscenes?

I was under the impression that they were in game.

Hotdamn.

20120514180753-4_bloedfonteintje.jpg

dark10x

Weren't PS3 players complaining about framerate issues on cutscenes?

I was under the impression that they were in game.
Oh I'm sure many of the cutscenes are realtime, but it sounds as if scenes linking the various levels together are video.

Furthermore, extensive use of video is the only way to explain the massive file size of this game.

despire

Damnit, I need to know today if the PS3-version is inferior to the 360-version. My copy getting shipped tomorrow and I need to know which one to pick. Would prefer the PS3-version but if it's not up to snuff then I guess I need to pick the 360 one instead..

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
will GAF start a crew?

Damnit, I need to know today if the PS3-version is inferior to the 360-version. My copy getting shipped tomorrow and I need to know which one to pick. Would prefer the PS3-version but if it's not up to snuff then I guess I need to pick the 360 one instead..

I dunno but RDR was better on 360 and if you own both, why take the risk?

dark10x

Hoping some proper PS3 footage shows up in the wake of these reviews.

The first two games were short but paced very well; if Max Payne 3 is victim to the almost trademark Rockstar padding then it'll be worse off
Of course, padding is precisely the thing that drug Remedy's follow-up game down. Alan Wake was absolutely loaded with padding to the point that it just became tiresome to play.

At least the scenery here promises more variety.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

harrytang

hard to discern from the reviews whether max payne 3 is worth the purchase for multi alone. Verge says balance issues afoot as well as exploits, while IGN says very very little other than gang wars doesnt work perfectly. why did neither explore in depth all of the multi features and modes? makes no sense to me.

MMaRsu

Well ofcourse he is, but in a much different way that R* characters are caricatures. You don't understand what I'm trying to say?

Damn that's annoying.

Goddamnit R*, WHY must you ALWAYS do this?????????

Remedy did the same thing in the previous games. Don't kid yourself.

I wouldn't bother looking at the review scores. The lower scores probably are from the people who became frustrated playing the game with how difficult it might be. Especially to all these shit players. I mean, go watch some of the streams. What the fuck!? All these modern shooters have trained them to take cover whenever possible and not to worry about managing the character's health because it will regenerate.

MMaRsu

The only thing I really am not glad to hear is that the story is NOT up to snuff with previous games. Very sad :(.

Well ofcourse he is, but in a much different way that R* characters are caricatures. You don't understand what I'm trying to say?

Not really, haha. Like, I understand that you don't like R* character writing, but in this particular instance Remedy's wasn't much better. Both companies have a history of really silly over-the-top characters.

Enco

Never, ever watch a Gametrailers review if you care about spoilers. They show final areas, huge plot twists, and final boss fights all the time.
I know :lol

So from the review..

- Aiming doesn't feel fluid
- Running and gunning will get you killed
- Taking cover will be slow and boring
- MP is better than SP

Pretty shitty review with some nice spoilers.

MMaRsu

There&#8217;s no on-screen indication other than the silhouetted life meter in the corner of the screen to let you know when Max is near death--a point that feels oddly archaic--

This feels so strange to list this as a negative. I don't want no Mass Effect 2 bullshit ( I couldn't find a pic :( )

Which reviews have stated that?

Dunno it was mentioned in the review thread. I wont go into it here.

Top Bottom