• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Curufinwe

Yeah, except thats the second post you've made crying about something that doesnt need to be cried about. 62 second load times for multiplayer? Holy shit! End my life now. I cant skip cutscenes?! Fuck this game for all eternity! Just go cancel your preorder and let the fans do their thing and actually discuss the pros and cons instead of coming in here with trivial complaints not one of us could really care too much about because at the end of the day, all we really want to do is shoot up bad guys in glorious slow motion Euphoria which this delivers in spades.

You are being very over sensitive.

Uhhh, those are perfectly valid criticisms that mar an otherwise solid game. 60 second load times are pretty severe, actually, and are ill suited for multiplayer matches.

How are those issues trivial exactly?

At points, sure, but in general you could skip pretty much right away (or very shortly after the cutscene begins playing).

If some of you cant sit still for 60 seconds, and grab a drink within that time or take a piss, or check your FB status then I don't know what to tell you. A minute wait is fucking nothing.

yeah i know...thisisneogafdude.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If some of you cant sit still for 60 seconds, and grab a drink within that time or take a piss, or check your FB status then I don't know what to tell you. A minute wait is fucking nothing.

Is this sarcasm?

Edit: I was so confused. I thought this was the review thread.

Unskippable cutscenes are terrible, hope there's something we don't know about that yet. If it comes down to it, I'd at least want a PC mod for that.

BeeDog

No, it's you being hyper-defensive as all hell. A fucking minute to load a multiplayer map is a pain in the ass.

Considering how R*'s previous games have had pretty decent load times for the most part (I know GTA 4 had fast loading times because it had one long load when you started it up), people have a right to complain about it. No need to be overly defensive about it, it's pretty ridiculous that the load times are this long just to start up a multiplayer game.

geebee

Banned
Lol wow.. that statue looks hideous.

Btw, how come no one has posted that gif of present day long-haired, scarf-wearing Sam Lake recreating the classic Max Payne face? It's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm not fond of not being able to skip cutscenes (even the clue cutscenes)

What's the mode when your painkillers automatically kick in, last man standing? Whatever the name, sometimes it just leaves you in some shit situations where you'll die regardless (because cover gets in the way of the person you have to kill) and...it leaves you laying there on the floor when you're out of it, thus exposing you to get shot again and again.

Frustrating on hard since AI have some magic bullets and you have low health; something like three or four shots will kill you/activate your pain killer.

Lots of trial and error dealing with the set pieces.

i don't have it yet, and won't have it for a couple of weeks, but i don't mind the sound of that, since the last man standing feature is kind of a 'last chance' affair right? if you consistantly stayed alive i wouldn't like the sound of it. i think the way to look at it more, is that you cheated death every time you didn't die.

MDSLKTR

2JPn2.jpg

=(

WTF is this? First time I order a collector edition in years only to get that?? And no artbook? Switching to regular, I'm not paying 40 extra dollars for a bullet key chain and 4 black and white postcards.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does the game handle death, by the way? Does it hit you with a lengthy load screen each time you die or do you just jump back into the game? THAT is a quite a valid concern, I think.

You're being hyper-defensive here.

It's not that people don't have the patience, rather, I feel it takes away from the polish present elsewhere in the title. It shows a lack of optimization in the engine and prevents the game from flowing smoothly from round to round.

It doesn't make it unplayable by any means, but it's a perfectly valid criticism that shouldn't be overlooked.

So you wouldn't mind these loading times then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VzmQiJNFfQ

No. Played UC2 recently, and skipping cutscenes results in a loading screen.
So was I and, no, it doesn't always. It's hit or miss depending on the situation.

Sixty seconds is a long load time for a game, especially for multiplayer maps. Like, I know that in the grand scheme of things a minute is not a long time, but in the context of a game that's a really shitty load time.

The load times are most likely due to the fact of the level of detail within the environments and getting everything synced with the Social Club. Who knows. Alls I can say is, I barely play multiplayer games. Max Payne 3 will be the first mulitplayer game I've sunk my teeth into since RDR and before that it was the original fucking Goldeneye. Sue me if I don't find map load times exceeding 15 seconds a major pain in the ass and experience killing.

RS4-

How does the game handle death, by the way? Does it hit you with a lengthy load screen each time you die or do you just jump back into the game? THAT is a quite a valid concern, I think.

You see a quick multi panel shot of Payne dying then you'll restart at a checkpoint which are, I believe pretty close to every gun fight.

i don't have it yet, and won't have it for a couple of weeks, but i don't mind the sound of that, since the last man standing feature is kind of a 'last chance' affair right? if you consistantly stayed alive i wouldn't like the sound of it. i think the way to look at it more, is that you cheated death every time you didn't die.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a huge setback for the game but it does make things really frustrating, especially on the later difficulty levels. I suppose that it'll get easier when you unlock golden guns with unlimited ammo.

Dacon

Banned
Another issue would be that the game seemingly wants the player to stay on the move at all times... :/

How's this a bad thing?

The original Max Payne games are the same. Staying still for too long in a gunfight was suicide and it didn't keep them from being amazing experiences.

This is why I don't go in |OT| threads, anyone who is critical about a game is told to leave the thread. Have any PC websites checked to see if load times are better on SSD? Good ports you start considering SSD users if they're going to mask loads with bink videos.

haikira

This is why I don't go in |OT| threads, anyone who is critical about a game is told to leave the thread. Have any PC websites checked to see if load times are better on SSD? Good ports you start considering SSD users if they're going to mask loads with bink videos.

Don't think we'll see anything like that, to do with the pc version, for a little bit longer. It's two weeks tomorrow, until it's out on the PC in the states I think.

UrbanRats

Yeah, no.
When in the later stages of the game you'll be dying a lot with (as many reviews suggest) oddly placed checkpoints, watching the same damn cutscene over and over and over and over everytime you make a mistake, it's a dumbfuck gamedesign decision, however you spin it.

The reason so many people loved games like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce, is because the failure it's not frustrating, you're right back into the game; while Max Payne 3 can't have the same fluidity, having to sit in front of the same dialogue/scene 15 times will be a torture, later on.

I already hate the stupid death screens in Batman AA/AC, but at least those are skippable.
I also hate games that place checkpoints right BEFORE a lenghty unskippable cutscene, but then again, GTA4 had some of the worst checkpoints placement i've ever seen (oh sure, i will cross the whole city again, just to have another shot) so it's nothing new for Rockstar, i guess.

JB1981

The load times are most likely due to the fact of the level of detail within the environments and getting everything synced with the Social Club. Who knows. Alls I can say is, I barely play multiplayer games. Max Payne 3 will be the first mulitplayer game I've sunk my teeth into since RDR and before that it was the original fucking Goldeneye. Sue me if I don't find map load times exceeding 15 seconds a major pain in the ass and experience killing.

It will very likely have an impact on the multiplayer's longevity. A minute is a long time to wait. People are conditioned to quick matchmakingi times ala COD.

MMaRsu

How's this a bad thing?

The original Max Payne games are the same. Staying still for too long in a gunfight was suicide and it didn't keep them from being amazing experiences.

What do you mean? In old max payne games you could kill the attackers and you could explore the enviroment at your leisure until you ran into another group of baddies.

Not really all that surprised at some of the reviews this game has been getting.

Why exactly?

Fjordson

IV had atrocious ones, but I thought the checkpointing was pretty good in Gay Tony and Red Dead. Never had a problem with them.

Unfortunate they aren't always up to par here, though.

Enco

Yeah, no.
When in the later stages of the game you'll be dying a lot with (as many reviews suggest) oddly placed checkpoints, watching the same damn cutscene over and over and over and over everytime you make a mistake, it's a dumbfuck gamedesign decision, however you spin it.

The reason so many people loved games like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce, is because the failure it's not frustrating, you're right back into the game; while Max Payne 3 can't have the same fluidity, having to sit in front of the same dialogue/scene 15 times will be a torture, later on.

I already hate the stupid death screens in Batman AA/AC, but at least those are skippable.
I also hate games that place checkpoints right BEFORE a lenghty unskippable cutscene, but then again, GTA4 had some of the worst checkpoints placement i've ever seen (oh sure, i will cross the whole city again, just to have another shot) so it's nothing new for Rockstar, i guess.
Yea games with instant spawn are infinitely better than those without.

GTA checkpoints can screw themselves. Totally right on them being horrendous.

It will very likely have an impact on the multiplayer's longevity. A minute is a long time to wait. People are conditioned to quick matchmakingi times ala COD.

well, do we know how much of that 60 seconds is loading and how much is matchmaking? the game isn't out properly yet, so if a good percentage of that IS matchmaking, we could see those times come down with more players.

if we know that's all straight loading... well, i can just hug my PC for a while :) maybe buy a high speed usb stick if it's too slow loading from HD.

Grisby

Has anyone on Gaf had much hands-on with the PS3 version? Really struggling over which version to get at the mo..
Dark posted this in the review thread. I've been wanting more impressions from other outlets as well. The footage looks pretty good though. It's not a hands on from Gaf but it is something I suppose.
Regarding PS3, it seems that the CVG video review is composed entirely of PS3 footage. They show the triangle button prompt several times throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwbcrCj6mA

Looks generally smooth to me.

UrbanRats

IV had atrocious ones, but I thought the checkpointing was pretty good in Gay Tony and Red Dead. Never had a problem with them.

Unfortunate they aren't always up to par here, though.

Yeah the GTA4 one was just a jab, of course (the games are nothing alike) but the major point still stands, you can have a difficult game, but you should try to make the superfluous stuff as little frustrating as possible, imo.

Yeah, except thats the second post you've made crying about something that doesnt need to be cried about. 62 second load times for multiplayer? Holy shit! End my life now. I cant skip cutscenes?! Fuck this game for all eternity! Just go cancel your preorder and let the fans do their thing and actually discuss the pros and cons instead of coming in here with trivial complaints not one of us could really care too much about because at the end of the day, all we really want to do is shoot up bad guys in glorious slow motion Euphoria which this delivers in spades.

Dude... calm down. If it's an issue for them, it's an issue for them. It's not one for you, that's great. It's not really one for me either. But don't jump down their throat because it's an aspect that they don't like. Something like that is a con for some people.

We can only do that with Angry Fork.

Unskippable cutscenes are terrible, hope there's something we don't know about that yet. If it comes down to it, I'd at least want a PC mod for that.

The cutscenes in this game look pretty awesome, so I'm fine with them. They're used to mask loading times, so... I'd rather have that than a static load screen.

Might have to repaint that statue myself. Never done that before, could be fun.

Zep

Banned
I would think Rockstar is working on a patch to address something as stupid as not being able to skip cutscenes.

I just hope they have this fixed when the PC version ships. We shouldn't need cutscenes masking load times!

fantastic. Can't cancel my order because the page keeps suspiciously giving up an error and suggesting to try again later.... hmmm

Same happened to me over an hour ago. Amazon rep told me to refuse delivery and put a note on my file so I don't take a ding on it. That statute is terribad.

Fjordson

Yeah the GTA4 one was just a jab, of course (the games are nothing alike) but the major point still stands, you can have a difficult game, but you should try to make the superfluous stuff as little frustrating as possible, imo.
No, I agree. I just meant that R* had seemingly improved from IV's shitty checkpoints.

Seems like that and possibly a few other issues are growing pains from them attempting a more linear game

RS4-

How's this a bad thing?

Oh btw, there are times where you get penalized for exploring, which is akin to dying.

You'll find out here and there during your go around with the game.

Shady859

Looking at that IGN stream now, looks fun i'm going to go the Redbox route though. PS3 of course as the 360 rental is disc one only.

I would think Rockstar is working on a patch to address something as stupid as not being able to skip cutscenes.

I just hope they have this fixed when the PC version ships. We shouldn't need cutscenes masking load times!

What is the alternative?

shooting is assigned to R2 on the PS3? HAHAHAHAHHA

Definitely not buying it on PS3!

You can swap it to R1. The options are there. Come on, dude.

Dude... calm down. If it's an issue for them, it's an issue for them. It's not one for you, that's great. It's not really one for me either. But don't jump down their throat because it's an aspect that they don't like. Something like that is a con for some people.

We can only do that with Angry Fork.

Calm is enchanced. Thank you.

Top Bottom