• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I think he means the game never really evolves from what you see in the first few hours. The best action games give you new mechanics, enemies, interesting level design, enemy encounters, etc, to keep up the variety and the pacing of the game.

JB1981

Hotdamn.

20120514180753-4_bloedfonteintje.jpg

Not sure what is so hard to understand about the criticism. It sounds like the game overstays its welcome because it lacks variety. Games can be too long if they get repetitive.

MMaRsu

Not sure what is so hard to understand about the criticism. It sounds like the game overstays its welcome because it lacks variety. Games can be too long if they get repetitive.

If it's got mostly the same shit as MP2 i'm good with that. What stuff other than shooting did we do in those two? I don't need much variety in my MP.

This seems like the exact thread in which you should go into it.

Fine, it was said the story is more a normal/straight forward and grounded in reality.

I think it was the CVG review.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The only thing I really am not glad to hear is that the story is NOT up to snuff with previous games. Very sad :(.

The biggest issue that is keeping my purchase at bay. Adore the dark humor and quirky monolgue ramblings of the first two games. Just dumb fun storytelling with breezy action. Seems entirely lost in this third entry based on reviews.

So, with the CE, the soundtrack can't be downloaded until the 23rd, right?

Good question. I am going to ask. My guess is, the people who didn't pre-order would have to buy it from the iTunes store on the 23rd, while the people who did pre-order would download with the code right away.

For example, with RDR, I got the code for the soundtrack and download it right away.

Fjordson

Good question. I am going to ask. My guess is, the people who didn't pre-order would have to buy it from the iTunes store on the 23rd, while the people who did pre-order would download with the code right away.

For example, with RDR, I got the code for the soundtrack and download it right away.
Yeah. I hope it's that. My friend playing it says the soundtrack is really good. I want to hear it! Will help with the wait hopefully.

Another issue would be that the game seemingly wants the player to stay on the move at all times... :/

That's been one of my concerns actually. R* mentions running forward and constant action in the design vids quite a bit. The action needs to be broken up at times if you ask me.

MattDoza

According to someone who has the game:

'Old school mode is "Brutal difficulty without last man standing there to save you" its harder the hardcore mode and this game is mission based no running around really well only on the mission map its nothing like GTA or RDR'

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/max-payne-3/achievement/66634-Maximum-Payne.html

'...it's the hardcore mode, except you don't have the ability to take cover. they basically put it on the hardest mode and take the cover mechanic out.' ... 'You have to beat the game on hard to unlock it.'

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/958970-max-payne-3/62792749

Well, that probably decides it. I'll probably play on Hard, my first playthrough.

MattDoza

When it comes to midnight launches, do I actually have to wait till midnight for them to give me the game? Or can I get it 11? How's this work?

You have to wait till midnight. They're usually pretty awful. I always prefer to just sleep, and get it first thing in the morning. It can be rough, depending on the game, though.

MMaRsu

Oh fucking sweet Old School mode sounds like a blast. Taking out the ability to take cover? GENIUS :D.

I don't think being grounded in reality means the story is "not up to snuff", though.

I don't know the exact phrasing, you'll have to read the review. But honestly if you were expecting a story ala Max Payne 1 and 2, you're probably not getting it with this title. That doesn't mean the story won't be good, but it won't be as good to me.

You have to wait till midnight. They're usually pretty awful. I always prefer to just sleep, and get it first thing in the morning. It can be rough, depending on the game, though.

Unfortunately I have class in the morning. I'd rather have it waiting for me when I get back instead of going to class and then having to go to the shop after (they are in different directions). Though I guess if I go and there's a mob there, I'll get up earlier tomorrow and grab it before class.

wait, you can't skip cutscenes entirely in the SP and the arcade-mode? you have to watch them again and again (not completely, I know)?
If that's true I'll cancel my pre-order and rent it. I hate this.

AHA-Lambda

motherofgod.jpg

:lol

can anyone who does have it comment on what is in the box? I've heard people comment about a rockstar pass in the box. Is this an online pas or just advertising the $30 dlc option?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wait, you can't skip cutscenes entirely in the SP and the arcade-mode? you have to watch them again and again (not completely, I know)?
If that's true I'll cancel my pre-order and rent it. I hate this.
From the sound of it, the cutscenes are used to hide the lengthy load times (which is evident in multiplayer).

IronRinn

Maaaaaaan, that statue...

That's up there with the Drake statue that came with the Uncharted 3 CE. I mean, I realize likenesses can be hard to capture but still.

dark10x

Sounds like uncharted. No problems with me.

Hurry up, and be June 1st already...
Well, the cutscnes in Uncharted didn't actually HIDE anything as you could skip them at any point and immediately start playing. You can't skip them in MP3, however.

oh jesus this is a message board where everyone has a right on his own opinion

Yeah, except thats the second post you've made crying about something that doesnt need to be cried about. 62 second load times for multiplayer? Holy shit! End my life now. I cant skip cutscenes?! Fuck this game for all eternity! Just go cancel your preorder and let the fans do their thing and actually discuss the pros and cons instead of coming in here with trivial complaints not one of us could really care too much about because at the end of the day, all we really want to do is shoot up bad guys in glorious slow motion Euphoria which this delivers in spades.

rvy

Banned
Well, the cutscnes in Uncharted didn't actually HIDE anything as you could skip them at any point and immediately start playing. You can't skip them in MP3, however.

Not even after you complete the game? Or in Arcade Mode? Weird.

haikira

They 100% did. At least I can say that the first two Uncharted games 100% did. If you skip a cutscene too early, you still just have to wait on a loading screen. I've platinumed the first two games, so I've done my fair amount of skipping of the cutscenes.

dark10x

Yeah, except thats the second post you've made crying about something that doesnt need to be cried about. 62 second load times for multiplayer? Holy shit! End my life now. I cant skip cutscenes?! Fuck this game for all eternity! Just go cancel your preorder and let the fans do their thing and actually discuss the pros and cons instead of coming in here with trivial complaints not one of us could really care too much about because at the end of the day, all we really want to do is shoot up bad guys in glorious slow motion Euphoria which this delivers in spades.
Uhhh, those are perfectly valid criticisms that mar an otherwise solid game. 60 second load times are pretty severe, actually, and are ill suited for multiplayer matches.

How are those issues trivial exactly?

They 100% did. At least I can say that the first two games 100% did. If you skip a cutscene too early, you still just have to wait on a loading screen. I've platinumed the first two games, so I've done my fair amount of skipping of the cutscenes.
At points, sure, but in general you could skip pretty much right away (or very shortly after the cutscene begins playing).

RS4-

Yeah, I'm not fond of not being able to skip cutscenes (even the clue cutscenes)

What's the mode when your painkillers automatically kick in, last man standing? Whatever the name, sometimes it just leaves you in some shit situations where you'll die regardless (because cover gets in the way of the person you have to kill) and...it leaves you laying there on the floor when you're out of it, thus exposing you to get shot again and again.

Frustrating on hard since AI have some magic bullets and you have low health; something like three or four shots will kill you/activate your pain killer.

Lots of trial and error dealing with the set pieces.

Top Bottom