• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How have you not played Alan Wake yet? Fantastic game.

I've made my peace with the comments on the differences between Remedy's MP games and Rockstar's attempt. I just want a great game, with a great story and great gameplay, and the return of my all-time favourite protagonist. I doubt Dan Houser reaches the pinnacle of this type of storytelling that Lake did, but I'm okay with it. He's still a capable writer.
Same here. I was expecting it to be different and at least R* themes and storytelling won't be out of place it Max's story. Another dev may have completely dropped the ball.

Anyway, off to bed so I can grab my preorder at open. Goodnight, gentlemen.

Perhaps, but honestly if at worse it's more Midnight Club/RDR than GTA, then i'm perfectly fine with that. What really hurt RDR on PS3 is the framerate, not the loss in resolution.

Agreed. Alan Wake was Sub-HD, but it looked great regardless, hopefully it's a similar case here if it is in fact sub-HD

zkylon

zkylewd
How have you not played Alan Wake yet? Fantastic game.

I've made my peace with the comments on the differences between Remedy's MP games and Rockstar's attempt. I just want a great game, with a great story and great gameplay, and the return of my all-time favourite protagonist. I doubt Dan Houser reaches the pinnacle of this type of storytelling that Lake did, but I'm okay with it. He's still a capable writer.
Well, I don't have a 360 so playing AW became only recently a possibility and I have been waiting to get some stuff off my backlog before I finally buy it. I wouldn't normally preorder a game but, contrary to my predictions of the game, my hype for MP3 is through the roof. I'm easily devoured by R*'s marketing (happened with GTAIV, V and now MP3) and I caved in, like I usually do.

I don't doubt Dan Houser's writing skills or hold a grudge against R* for doing their own thing with MP3, but I simply can't help expecting something Sam Lake-y out of this franchise. I must've beaten MP1 over 15 times. It's one of those games I never tire of, and I hope MP3 at least reminds me of those good old times.

My suggestion to everyone starting to play this, adjust the controls to your liking. Didn't like the default settings for sensitivity and aim acceleration at all, and the game played so much better after I tinkered with the settings a bit.

Fjordson

NotTheGuyYouKill, what did you think of American Nightmare? Only Alan Wale content I have yet to play.

(not to go off-topic, but I'm dyin' here waiting for Diablo III to launch)

Mr.Fresh

Played my first multiplayer round (PS3) I really enjoyed it. Carried my team with 31 kills out of our 50 points and we still lost but hey.

NotTheGuyYouKill, what did you think of American Nightmare? Only Alan Wale content I have yet to play.

(not to go off-topic, but I'm dyin' here waiting for Diablo III to launch)

I loved it. It's kinda like a great short story to the great novel that was Alan Wake. Some people have some (legitimate) complaints about some of it's repetitive nature, but I really loved it anyway. Fun stuff. Great looking game, sheds some more light on the AW universe and leaves a couple of interesting hooks for AW2. Only takes a few hours to play through, but it's great fun

Fjordson

I loved it. It's kinda like a great short story to the great novel that was Alan Wake. Some people have some (legitimate) complaints about some of it's repetitive nature, but I really loved it anyway. Fun stuff. Great looking game, sheds some more light on the AW universe and leaves a couple of interesting hooks for AW2. Only takes a few hours to play through, but it's great fun
Sounds cool. Might play it sometime soon. I guess AW2 is a sure thing then?

XxCGSxX

I'm in love with the mp. Getting 25 kills + frequently, I thought I was going to be awful at this game but I'm decent at it :D btw jumping off a rooftop and killing someone is sooooo goooood!!!

B00TE

Got home, installed it and played three matches of deathmatch with a friend of mine along for the ride. I did really well, and we were laughing the entire time, and shoot dodging as some kind of last ditch effort is so awesome. Sadly, no one was playing Payne Killer. That's what I'd really like to try, oh well. I'll try again in the afternoon. :]

Fjordson

There's talk of Remedy ramping up staffing for a next-gen title. Presumably, that's gonna be Alan Wake 2. I hope there's word on it soon.
Nice. I'm down for whatever they do. I figure we'll both be hyped in that OT a few years from now, haha.

Okay, off topic mode off. Back to the waiting game.

Nice. I'm down for whatever they do. I figure we'll both be hyped in that OT a few years from now, haha.

Okay, off topic mode off. Back to the waiting game.

dillon_predatorljktm.gif

Got home, installed it and played three matches of deathmatch with a friend of mine along for the ride. I did really well, and we were laughing the entire time, and shoot dodging as some kind of last ditch effort is so awesome. Sadly, no one was playing Payne Killer. That's what I'd really like to try, oh well. I'll try again in the afternoon. :]

I know that feel. I remeber when all people wanted to do in GTAIV was play freaking TDM ....not cops n' robbers, grand theft auto, etc.

willooi

You seem to have a gif for everything. Do you categorise them according to emotions? I.e. folders for 'Triumph'...'Camaraderie'...'Confusion'...'Weeping with joy', etc?

Hope everyone who's got it/about to get it is enjoying the game. I'm in Australia and foolishly decided to order my copy online from a UK site - the wait for 18th and then for it to arrive as well is going to be killer. Really considering double-dipping.

Insert appropriate gif.

You seem to have a gif for everything. Do you categorise them according to emotions? I.e. folders for 'Triumph'...'Camaraderie'...'Confusion'...'Weeping with joy', etc?

Hope everyone who's got it/about to get it is enjoying the game. I'm in Australia and foolishly decided to order my copy online from a UK site - the wait for 18th and then for it to arrive as well is going to be killer. Really considering double-dipping.

Insert appropriate gif.

I have some bookmarked and some memorized as to what to search for when I google it. I really should just categorize it.

An appropriate gif...

tumblr_lsgc4gUlpX1r0ojhto1_500.gif

Sucks about the wait.

Teknoman

I think I should organize my gif folder like that. Right now I just have everything filed under funny lol.

Also as far as MLG, I guess you would play ALOT more conservatively with money on the line...well in any game aside from a fighter anyway.

Are the Multiplayer servers hosed for anyone else on 360 at the moment, wanted to try some MP before Diablo 3 but I am stuck at the connecting to server screen.

XxCGSxX

Ok now I can see the crew stats, Neogang is #24 worldwide, not bad at all!
Edit: wtf the top crew haves only 4 member and the top member haves over 150 million XP. How is that possible? :/

Going to try the MP tomorrow morning but so far not really feeling it. I suppose if I looked at it as a different game I'd enjoy it more but it just doesn't have that MP atmosphere that I remember.

Also, I seriously have to look away when cut scenes are showing, the stylized flashes really get to my eyes and are conpletely overdone.

woober

lol i've never seen a thread quite like this before. Every time i hit refresh its a full page of people screaming and yelling nonsensically.

Yeah, crazy to see this happen for a pc game. I'm happy for it. I'd love to see the sales number on both D3 and MP3. Diablo 3 must be a monster.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, crazy to see this happen for a pc game. I'm happy for it. I'd love to see the sales number on both D3 and MP3. Diablo 3 must be a monster.

D3 stomped Max Payne at the midnight I worked. Stomped it and then rubbed it into the ground.

Teknoman

Well its been a good 12 years since the last game came out, and even then, Diablo II still hasnt lost its replay value. They're great packages visually (art style anyway), aurally, and gameplay wise.

Pranay

Blizzard Games sells a lot and im not surprised.

Diablo was expected to have this interest.

Had it been GTA im pretty sure it would be very interesting :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And to be fair, Diablo is Blizzards's biggest thing. SC 2 wasn't this big because of skill level and WoW expansions haven't been 'huge' in years.

Fjordson

And to be fair, Diablo is Blizzards's biggest thing. SC 2 wasn't this big because of skill level and WoW expansions haven't been 'huge' in years.
Ah man, I remember going to the midnight launch for Burning Crusade. Insanity.

sorry for being off topic again, not quite logged into D3 yet =[

I guess D3 and MP3 are just very different beasts. A great 12-hour romp vs. a massive time-sinker like only Blizzard can do. I just hope it won't hurt the sales for MP3 too much in the long run.

Meanwhile, still at the Diablo 3 thread:

fuuu.jpg

lol, good stuff.

Teknoman

I do have to ask, just like how almost every FPS (even Serious Sam has it now) has sight aiming this gen, does every third person shooter have to have shoulder aiming? It just seems odd that both SS and MP got these additions this gen, when they seemed fine without it before.

My friend has a weird problem, we were playing multiplayer together until in the middle of a payne killer match his internet craps out. Now when I try to invite him and he accepts it says "cannot join, blacklisted". Does anyone know how to fix this crap?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"well, Diablo's not working. Let's play Max"
"Downloading cemetary bonus... Ok"
Turn on game
"Downloading update. Jesus christ PSN is slow"
Get relaxed after update finished
"Now installing"
at_squirrelh9bb4.gif

Somnia

"well, Diablo's not working. Let's play Max"
"Downloading cemetary bonus... Ok"
Turn on game
"Downloading update. Jesus christ PSN is slow"
Get relaxed after update finished
"Now installing"
at_squirrelh9bb4.gif

At least max payne will install without errors, I keep erroring out while installing D3.

Top Bottom