• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Fjordson

8's and 9's seem like pretty good scores to me. Though like someone said in the reviews thread, Rockstar's open world games consistently being some of the highest rated games of all time sort of warp the scale for their other releases.

Jealous of you guys getting this at midnight. My friend is saying the multiplayer is pretty fun (360). Though I have Diablo III to tide me over (if I can get online tonight).

Also, someone should try to redeem their soundtrack download. Saw someone saying on another forum that you CE owners don't have to wait until the 23rd.

To be honest this MLG multiplayer feed is putting me to sleep a bit. I was really hoping the multiplayer would be a lot crazier and have way more diving, bullet time and other perks going on. So far it just looks a bit meh.

To be honest this MLG multiplayer feed is putting me to sleep a bit. I was really hoping the multiplayer would be a lot crazier and have way more diving, bullet time and other perks going on. So far it just looks a bit meh.

Have you never watched an MLG stream? The way they play the game RARELY looks like it what it will look online with "normal" players. They play a lot more conservatively and don't use many different weapons. And they're way more accurate than casual players will be.

Radec

2JPn2.jpg

=(

hahahaha. damn!

CTE

I can't watch the stream. Is it 5vs5?

Btw, crew cap to be raised over 300.
https://twitter.com/rockstargames/status/202229356641271810

We still have room for 51 more members on here. 249 is current count until Simo gets back to accept more requests.

And yes, it's 5v5. Finals is CoD guys against Gears guys I think.

Edit -

Warlords at match point. So CoD(Warlords) guys are going to win most likely. 12,000 bucks to winner.

Edit - Was it only 4v4? Didn't notice that until now.

Have you never watched an MLG stream? The way they play the game RARELY looks like it what it will look online with "normal" players. They play a lot more conservatively and don't use many different weapons. And they're way more accurate than casual players will be.

Yeah but it's just the fact that they give you all of the tools to pull off badass moves and really execute some "oh shit!" moments. But there's no real incentive to do it, in fact it seems like the opposite. The guys who have tried pulling off the cool moves end up getting wrecked and the camping/cover takers win out.

And I'm sure people will adopt this MLG style of play. They'll do what it takes to win and unfortunately that'll mean a lot of this simple straight forward shooting match we see in the MLG feed.

Yeah but it's just the fact that they give you all of the tools to pull off badass moves and really execute some "oh shit!" moments. But there's no real incentive to do it, in fact it seems like the opposite. The guys who have tried pulling off the cool moves end up getting wrecked and the camping/cover takers win out.

And I'm sure people will adopt this MLG style of play. They'll do what it takes to win and unfortunately that'll mean a lot of this simple straight forward shooting match we see in the MLG feed.

We'll see. All I know is that every MLG stream I've watched has looked exactly the same, but the real games are way more chaotic and unpredictable. You're underestimating how many people will play to troll, use bullet time, or just shoot dodge every time out.

C4Lukins

Not excited based on the media I have seen and the mixed reviews. Outside of the slow-mo side dive into a head shot, it just does not have the Max Payne charm, look or feel. Again all based on me not playing the game. I hope I am wrong.

if this has mixed reviews, so too did Max Payne 2. remember people Max Payne 2 has a metacritic in the mid eighties as well. just something to temper expectations on this. it was criticised as being too short and not different enough to the original. it's easy to laugh at that nine years later when it's held up incredibly well and is still a blast, but that's what we heard back then.

enjoy your midnight launches console gaf. i'll see some of you in two weeks over in PC land with the rest of PC gaf and i look forwards to it. i've never really played a shooter online with GAF. glad to be in the crew.

MercuryLS

Banned
Not excited based on the media I have seen and the mixed reviews. Outside of the slow-mo side dive into a head shot, it just does not have the Max Payne charm, look or feel. Again all based on me not playing the game. I hope I am wrong.

Games: Upset when things stay the same. Upset when things change.

The series has to evolve, it's been 9 years. I would frankly be disappointed in R* if they had played it safe and followed in MP1/2's footsteps too closely.

Games: Upset when things stay the same. Upset when things change.

The series has to evolve, it's been 9 years. I would frankly be disappointed in R* if they had played it safe and followed in MP1/2's footsteps too closely.

the game is getting better reviews so far than Max Payne 2 got and is about on par with the first Max Payne. that's what is boggling my mind about people calling the reviews 'mixed'.

We'll see. All I know is that every MLG stream I've watched has looked exactly the same, but the real games are way more chaotic and unpredictable. You're underestimating how many people will play to troll, use bullet time, or just shoot dodge every time out.

Fingers crossed. I'll definitely be one of those people constantly diving down stairs and through windows trying to catch people off guard. It'll probably lead to a god awful k/d ratio but damn does it look fun.

Fjordson

the game is getting better reviews so far than Max Payne 2 got and is about on par with the first Max Payne. that's what is boggling my mind about people calling the reviews 'mixed'.
I think part of it is the R* name. People are used to the reception of their open world games. Not only do they consistently score in the high 90's on Metacritic, but some of the reviewers go all out with their praise (revolutionary, oscar-worthy, etc.). Next to that, "quality shooter" probably sounds a bit pedestrian to some people.

Not an entirely bad thing in my mind. Part of me has always felt like R* is obsessed with their image as a top developer and the critical reception of their games. I have a feeling any doubts about Max Payne 3 will just add fuel to the fire for them knocking it out of the park with GTA V.

And holy shit, that picture of the Max statue's face is still cracking me up :lol

This game is pretty frustrating on Hard. The checkpoints are kinda fucked up. I'm in it for the long haul, but I probably should have started on Medium.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think I'll end up agreeing with the GB QL, the narration isn't as "flowery" as I want as a Max Payne fan and the Rockstar touch is just way too big of an imprint to look past it (if you're not particularly fond of it, like me).

The more I learn about MP3 the more I feel I should've bought Alan Wake instead. I don't think I've ever felt hyped and pessimistic at the same time before...

I think I'll end up agreeing with the GB QL, the narration isn't as "flowery" as I want as a Max Payne fan and the Rockstar touch is just way too big of an imprint to look past it (if you're not particularly fond of it, like me).

The more I learn about MP3 the more I feel I should've bought Alan Wake instead. I don't think I've ever felt hyped and pessimistic at the same time before...

How have you not played Alan Wake yet? Fantastic game.

I've made my peace with the comments on the differences between Remedy's MP games and Rockstar's attempt. I just want a great game, with a great story and great gameplay, and the return of my all-time favourite protagonist. I doubt Dan Houser reaches the pinnacle of this type of storytelling that Lake did, but I'm okay with it. He's still a capable writer.

d0c_zaius

ps3 version is fine so far (for me).

also I'm not positive but I think I just shot an enemy causing him to shoot himself in the foot with a shotgun.

dreamfall

Oh my GOD. It's here ! GAF, I heart thee. I'm out to fire this up! Stay true to the PAYNE!

Smoky Statue! Partying on the East Coast!

jJ05e.jpg

Muskweeto

I requested an invite on the social club site, is there anything else I have to do?

My Social Club name is the same as my GAF name if that's something you need.

Anyway, I'm pumped for this and only have a couple more hours until I can pick this up, but plan on finishing single player before moving on to multiplayer.

XAL

Oh my GOD. It's here ! GAF, I heart thee. I'm out to fire this up! Stay true to the PAYNE!

Smoky Statue! Partying on the East Coast!

jJ05e.jpg

can i see a straight-on shot of the face?

the one previously posted makes the statue look.........horrible.

Stopped by a few Gamestops to check out the midnight launches they were having. First few stores were pretty small, but the last two had a sizable crowd (with the last one being very long....I think most of them were more interesting in Diablo 3)

Anyway, one the stores had a playable version on hand (360). Saw one person playing who clearly didn't know what the hell he was doing, then I decided to give it a go. Not half bad. Didn't know some of the controls since pausing the game had nothing except resume at the bottom, but I managed to make out of the section in one piece. Did some bullet time, and managed to kill one person who was down on the ground and still had a weapon in his hand ready to shoot

Hope you guys enjoy the game

MercuryLS

Banned
I dunno, most people who have it said it's good. Might just be the fact that it's on YouTube and not captured that well. I'd read comments that it looks 720 and the colours look really sharp.

I saw a bit of LOD pop in on Max at the beginning of the clip and a bit of framerate stutter. Overall it looks pretty close, won't know for sure without an in depth analysis.

I saw a bit of LOD pop in on Max at the beginning of the clip and a bit of framerate stutter. Overall it looks pretty close, won't know for sure without an in depth analysis.

LOD?

From what I've read, the game apparently runs fine and stutters occasionally during cut scenes. Nothing substantial outside of that.

Might be due to the capture card, but it has that blurry quality that most sub-HD games do. My guess is the 360 version will be 720p like usual while the PS3 resolution is like RDR.

Perhaps, but honestly if at worse it's more Midnight Club/RDR than GTA, then i'm perfectly fine with that. What really hurt RDR on PS3 is the framerate, not the loss in resolution.

Top Bottom