• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I... I have it. In my possession. Finally.

iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

Teknoman

Even with the 360 pad, diving, bullet time, and just the gunplay in general is fun as hell. Nice voice acting and the game looks great in motion (even if its not at 60 like i'm used to with PC). Cutscene effects take some getting used to, but it just reminds me of current day action flicks with a similar feel to Max's universe.

I like all the little details like...Max holding a shotgun in one hand and a pistol in the other when you have both in your possession. Not just having a gun disappear when changing weapons.

Playing without any aim assist whatsoever, you really do have to play it smart...thinking about when to be safe and when to be stylish and aggressive.

CTE

Just got home with my copy. Time to deal some Payne. Trying single player first to get a feel then I'll see you guys tomorrow online.

Edit - At my line-up it was mostly D3. Maybe 1 out of 20 got MP3. Guesstimate it about 60 people. Maybe 75 at most. Saw about 30 preorders for it when they got my copy out from the stack in storage behind the counter, though.

Fjordson

Eurogamer review. A 7 if you're busy.

Was expecting that for some reason. Sounds like the mechanics wore thin for them towards the end of the game. Though I'm kinda happy that they seemed to enjoy it creatively, with the atmosphere and the world building and whatnot.

The biggest difference is that now we're in more expensively assembled car parks, offices, docks, hotels and alleyways, infused with the sort of fine-grain environmental detail we've come to expect from Rockstar's worlds. A slow walk through a Sao Paolo favela halfway through the game is almost on a par with Uncharted 2's stroll through a Tibetan village; as Max prowls the alleys in a bad Hawaiian shirt, street kids play football on a rundown basketball court, startled mothers rush to close wooden shutters, and gang members stalk the player's shadows with AK-47s.

If anything's going to stop you trading in Max Payne 3, though, then it's more likely to be Max himself. "He was as slick as an oil spill on an iceberg and about as toxic." "I didn't know what to think any more - this town had more smoke and mirrors than a strip-club locker room." "I had a hole in my second-favourite drinking arm." You empty rooms together, then Max makes the empty rooms interesting with his tired, cynical, self-deprecating, cheesy and often drunken monologue. It all makes him hard not to like.

=D

All the same, you can't escape the feeling that Rockstar just isn't as good at a pure third-person shooter as it is with the open worlds of Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption, and in this linear context it's much harder to put up with its usual missteps in mechanics and difficulty.

D=

Spent the last four hours playing both Single player and multiplayer on PS3. There are some minor FPS drops during cutscenes, but gameplay is smooth as silk. Multiplayer is surprisingly fantastic, right off the bat. No network errors or anything; I'm having a blast. Incredible game. Everything I hoped it would be.

Simo

....annnd I'm done for the night.

I tried to do get in some public multiplayer matches with SafeinSound but the game wasn't having any of it so we had to resort to a few private matches before friends called it a night, so I jumped in to single player.

Not going to lie, right off the bat the controls and aiming take some getting used to especially in single player. Maybe I'm just nuts but controlling in multiplayer feels a lot easier and smoother than single player to the extent that in single player I had to turn up the sensitivity to 7 as default and anything below just feels slow and sluggish.

Also is anybody else having problems redeeming their preorder content? I got the Cemetery map to go but the CE goodies along with GameStops 2 other bonuses just won't work saying the codes are invalid.

....annnd I'm done for the night.

I tried to do get in some public multiplayer matches with SafeinSound but the game wasn't having any of it so we had to resort to a few private matches before friends called it a night, so I jumped in to single player.

Not going to lie, right off the bat the controls and aiming take some getting used to especially in single player. Maybe I'm just nuts but controlling in multiplayer feels a lot easier and smoother than single player to the extent that in single player I had to turn up the sensitivity to 7 as default and anything below just feels slow and sluggish.

Also is anybody else having problems redeeming their preorder content? I got the Cemetery map to go but the CE goodies along with GameStops 2 other bonuses just won't work saying the codes are invalid.
You are not alone. Maybe the content will go live later today.

Even with the 360 pad, diving, bullet time, and just the gunplay in general is fun as hell. Nice voice acting and the game looks great in motion (even if its not at 60 like i'm used to with PC). Cutscene effects take some getting used to, but it just reminds me of current day action flicks with a similar feel to Max's universe.

I like all the little details like...Max holding a shotgun in one hand and a pistol in the other when you have both in your possession. Not just having a gun disappear when changing weapons.

Playing without any aim assist whatsoever, you really do have to play it smart...thinking about when to be safe and when to be stylish and aggressive.

Is there a tropy/achievement for playing/beating it with no softlock?

Teknoman

I love it so far. But goddamn if that game ain't hard.

Im glad its just as challenging on normal as the last two. Aiming with the 360 pad on the first
sniping section
was a little troublesome though. Cant wait to dig into this with some mouse aiming. Other than that, i'm not seeing the unfair ammo complaints since Max has melee moves that let you take enemy guns.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Playing it on hard with free aim, I was honestly surprised how well I did at the Best Buy 360 kiosk. Aiming felt great, just need to stop shoot-dodging everywhere lol. I always forget to use regular bullet time.

I didn't have a problem with the controls there, but right now I am installing it on my PS3 and will update if i notice the aiming issues Simo noted.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think this is the best third person shooter I've ever played. The animation is on a whole other level from anything out there, and I really like all the characters so far. The gunplay feels awesome, and it really does feel like a Max Payne game in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I like the new setting too. I'd like a rainy New York setting, but this feels awesome on a different level.

I won't be getting the game until Tuesday night, but it seems, based off of impressions, that a lot of people just don't know how to play a max payne game. You have to think about and plan your route on the fly. Don't shootdodge just because it looks cool, but use it for a purpose; it's an extremely helpful maneuver when used correctly. Vanilla bullet time works best most of the time.

I'm also interested in the cover mechanic. I used cover in both max payne games, but the only difference was that I wasn't stuck to the wall. I'll do the exact thing this time around as I did other times, however: catch a breather and find my moment to explode. I just can't see myself firing from cover as a main way to dish the payne. Cover should be used as a quick respit or to take out those 1 or 2 guys that have the upper hand on you.

This is the worst part in the waiting process; that sour spot between the U.S. release date and the UK one when all the yanks are getting their copy and raving about it. It's excruciating.

lush

Put in an invite to NeoGang while banned. Gamertag is Stereolab. Amazon should be dropping it off tomorrow, sadly I'm working till 11. Stoked to finally play it though. I want that soundtrack too.

Muskweeto

I got some single player time in tonight and I have to say the controls are tight and the graphics great on the PS3, I do notice some framerate drops during cutscenes but the gameplay is silky smooth as far as I can tell.

With that, I'm off to bed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Weird, my video have over 1.690 views on youtube when shows in the search but when I click on it I only see 300 views !! why?

Max Payne 3 Special Edition Unboxing (XBOX360)
http://youtu.be/pwteJJO6hmk

can anyone check?

Youtube freezes viewcounts at ~300 when it gets there quickly so it can check that the views are all legitimate or something. It'll jump to what it actually is soon.

One of my favorite inner monologues from early in the game:
I was exploring the roof of the club in chapter two, and after a while I hear: "...Procrastination. One of the many contenders for my epitaph. But if I didn't hurry, I'd be writing Fabiana's tomorrow.
So good. The writing really feels like a natural evolution to me; there are still seriously hilarious/bitter/cynical/poetic pieces of dialogue from Max here; he feels older and not as sharp as he used to, but he's the same man.

Prezhulio

retail is not steamworks, right?

i remembered today when i got my diablo 3 shipping notice i had a pre-order on amazon from when it first went up for $46.99 haha

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
PS3 Impressions:

First off game is definitively using post processing form of AA. It actually does a great job of getting rid of jaggies but the small issue is the AA affects the text slightly.

The game seems to be running at 720p or at least very close to it. Game doesn't look blurry, maybe a little soft because of the form of AA.

The framerate is pretty solid. Some stutters when the game transitions from a pre-rendered cutscene to real time, but after that it's pretty solid. There are some drops, in certain situations, but nothing bad. No screen tearing from what i've played so far. What i found weird was some parts in the game with big explosions you'd think the PS3 version would slow to a crawl but it holds up, and oddly drops in some situations where it shouldn't.

Also did you guys know that you can sprint by holding down x/a? I was thinking that Max runs kind of slow, and I did not figure this out until a couple hours later.

Super sleepy right now, just finished a 4 hr nonstop session and had a blast. Playing on normal with free aim, was plenty challenging.

I think this is the best third person shooter I've ever played. The animation is on a whole other level from anything out there, and I really like all the characters so far. The gunplay feels awesome, and it really does feel like a Max Payne game in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I like the new setting too. I'd like a rainy New York setting, but this feels awesome on a different level.

Yeah, I'm not trying to overhype myself but as of now, this looks like it could be my all time favorite 3rd person shooter, fucking period

Why?

I pretty much checks off everything I've ever wanted in a Hong Kong shootout game

- Stranglehold didn't quite meet it despite being helmed by the people who invented the damn genre

- Vanquish is mechcanically the best out there at this point but it's story is unfortunattely, merely a novelty at bes

- Max Payne 1 and 2, while great in their time, just haven't aged well with me. I can't even play MP1 at all anymore =/

- Uncharted series is more of an adventure than a dedicated shooter

- Gears is lol

So yeah, this is where I'm at in my life, so we'll see!

PS3 Impressions....

Thanks for this man!

Bailey 87

Is there a site a can watch the MLG exhibition?

Keep the impressions coming folks. I need to wait until friday (stupid Europe) before I get my copy and I'm so hyped for the game.

The reviews that say this game is really hard has made me really excited, I love a nice hard game. I'm replaying Witcher 2 on Dark and the added challenge just makes the game so much better.

Can't wait to play multiplayer with you guys/girls. Team Neogang are going to take over the internets :p

Top Bottom