• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

As much as I like the Last Man Standing factor, I wish you could shut it off in order to be able to have more control of painkiller use. It also makes it tougher to get the trophy/cheevo for not using them during a chapter, at least on Hard.

jediyoshi

yxPb3.jpg

Good start to the stream spam

MMaRsu

Is auto aim in the multiplayer? I really hated that about RDR.

Yes it's in, a seperate mode. Hardlock/softlock or whatever..

Just stick to the free aim modes and you'll be good. That's what I'm doing..

I REALLY hope I can pick this up tomorrow...Free Record Shop already has it!!!!!!! But I couldnt pick it up yet.. fucking streetdates.

Lingxor

Yes it's in, a seperate mode. Hardlock/softlock or whatever..

Just stick to the free aim modes and you'll be good. That's what I'm doing..

I REALLY hope I can pick this up tomorrow...Free Record Shop already has it!!!!!!! But I couldnt pick it up yet.. fucking streetdates.

I wish they'd stop fragmenting the player base with play lists, but at least the word of mouth on the gameplay is good.

sent request to social club (just signed up). CommonSenseGAF is my nickname.

look forward to playing with you guys!

Can one of you layas okay my gang request? Much thanks :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well... I bought this for PS3. How do I join the gaf crew?

Evolved1

DL'n the patch... man, suddenly I'm incredibly excited to play this. I hope it's not disappointing.

Rockstar Social Club website..

Also I need more impressions :p

This thread didnt explode since it came out at all........

Thanks. I'll do that straightaway.

Played about 30 minutes last night and now I have an hour before I have to go to class and am gonna play a bit more. My thoughts thus far:

- Amazing opening.
Max's almost delusional voice over coupled with the dazed and glitchy visuals was fantastic. I loved it.

- McCaffrey is rocking the role so far.

- The piano version of Max's theme that plays in the main menu is awesome.

- Gun play is super fun, as is utterly eviscerating your enemies with gunfire.

- Settings are a little off, I needed to tweak them to get them feeling really good. But now it feels great.

- BULLET-TIME!

I hope more people hop online. I see no one playing Payne Killer and barely anyone on Gang wars. It's mostly a 100+ people playing deathmatch modes. Also whats the point of rookie deathmatch?

Evolved1

Lol...

Drive to gamestop to buy game. Kinda annoying, I hate that place.

Turn on PS3.

PS3 system update. OK, annoying, what is this even for, there aren't patch notes.

Ok, start game. MP3 requires patch. Ah... fine whatever only 36 MB.

System restart. Oh man I'm so excited... until the giant install. Ugh. Make cup of coffee, and this post on gaf, only 45% finished.

Gotta love modern gaming.

MMaRsu

Lol...

Drive to gamestop to buy game. Kinda annoying, I hate that place.

Turn on PS3.

PS3 system update. OK, annoying, what is this even for, there aren't patch notes.

Ok, start game. MP3 requires patch. Ah... fine whatever only 36 MB.

System restart. Oh man I'm so excited... until the giant install. Ugh. Make cup of coffee, and this post on gaf, only 45% finished.

Gotta love modern gaming.

So stupid.. I just wanna pop the game in and play :(

Jhoan

Debating whether or not to buy this... Never been a huge Max Payne fan... I really enjoyed the first one, but never played the second.

It is, however, a rockstar game so I'm expecting quality from the narrative.

Multiplayer looks fun but I'm not sure if I can justify $60 for it.

Iknowthatfeelbro.jpg. Except that I watched my brother play MP1 to its entirety, and I beat MP2 recently. Toys R Us is giving away a free 1600 MSP card (360 only) to members with it, so it's a pretty tempting deal. Except that if I buy it, I'm making my brother give me half the money for it. Or I could get a $20 game just as easily and wait a few months until a decent deal comes along.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think this is the best third person shooter I've ever played. The animation is on a whole other level from anything out there, and I really like all the characters so far.
Max's animation is at the odds in quality to enemies' shoot reaction animations. He moves far too robotic in comparison. Taking strictly gameplay, cutscenes mocap is of course very good.

This game is incredibly difficult, or am I the only one?
That's one of the things I'm looking most forward to about this game. And while some of the reviews have tempered my hype, watching the Giant Bomb's quick look brought it all back. The combat looks smooth, dangerous and ultra-violent.

Is anybody getting a sense of replay value from the campaign yet? Are the encounters dynamic enough to have a different experience the second or third time around?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So stupid.. I just wanna pop the game in and play :(
Just like Max Payne 1 and 2 on the PC! :p

Seriously, though, it's a shame it isn't possible for this kind of thing anymore but optical media just isn't fast enough to handle all of the data necessary for modern games.

I'm guessing he moves more robotically than the enemies because it means more fluid control? I'm having flashbacks to the controls in GTA 4, which had impressive movement animation, but controlled like dogshit.

And I think I mentioned this before, I've seen various different videos of the same few missions, and each time, the enemies seem to react differently enough that I know I'll be replaying this a lot.

That's one of the things I'm looking most forward to about this game. And while some of the reviews have tempered my hype, watching the Giant Bomb's quick look brought it all back. The combat looks smooth, dangerous and ultra-violent.

Is anybody getting a sense of replay value from the campaign yet? Are the encounters dynamic enough to have a different experience the second or third time around?

Havent even finished Chapter 2 and I want to replay it over and over and over and over...

Simo

Just played up to Chapter V. SO GOOD.

Completely cracked up during the stadium level when I encountered a series staple people were wondering would return....
TV shows! The whole Portuguese soap show with the cheating husband and his mistress and pregnant wife going at it before the wife goes into labour and gives birth to...something. Thankfully there are more shows and TVs to watch!

The animations and Kill-Cams are just too fucking awesome and brutal.

Evolved1

Well this is pretty goddamn awesome. Too bad there seems to be an audio bug on PS3. Voices are cutting out during cutscenes. :/

Yep, modern gaming.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
so how gameplay compares to MP 1-2? Did they ruin it with cover or is it totally unnecessary?

Simo

so how gameplay compares to MP 1-2? Did they ruin it with cover or is it totally unnecessary?

Gameplay is pretty much the same formula as the first two only with a fresher, glossier coat of paint and more going on under the hood. Cover is there if you need it but IMO you will need it and it doesn't ruin the flow of combat at all.

The enemies are so aggressive at times that you need to jump in to cover just to take a breather, pop a painkiller and rethink your approach but you can't rely on cover either because if you stay there too long then you just get flanked and dropped into Last Man Standing mode....alot.

Did they ruin it with cover or is it totally unnecessary?
And did they implement cover properly considering the speed of the game? In the quicklook I mentioned above Max seemed to pop in and out of cover very smoothly, which would be a godsend in comparison to previous Rockstar games. I was playing an early mission in GTA4 the other night and couldn't manage to have a gunfight through a doorway because of the borked cover-switching and slow-walk combat in the game. I couldn't leave cover easily, instead pulling off a swat turn or even attaching to the wall on the opposite of the hallway I was in. Was a hilariously broken experience just trying to walk through that door ;P

Evolved1

I've experienced it on 360 too.

Happened to me after the first gunfight... so I thought, hey that was pretty cool segment, I don't mind replaying it. But there's no way to quit to menu from the pause screen during a cutscene. So I had to reboot the game. Chose to restart the mission. But now I'm sitting through the entire opening cinematic again, which you apparently cannot skip? I've been hitting X but it says "still loading" for almost five mins. lol. Pretty damn annoying.

This sound bug just really soured my fist 20 mins with the game. :(

rvy

Banned
Oh, great. The store doesn't even know if they can ship it before release because Take2 delayed delivery by one day... WHAT?!

No Max Payne weekend, I can already tell... Fuck my life.

Simo

And did they implement cover properly considering the speed of the game? In the quicklook I mentioned above Max seemed to pop in and out of cover very smoothly, which would be a godsend in comparison to previous Rockstar games. I was playing an early mission in GTA4 the other night and couldn't manage to have a gunfight through a doorway because of the borked cover-switching and slow-walk combat in the game. I couldn't leave cover easily, instead pulling off a swat turn or even attaching to the wall on the opposite of the hallway I was in. Was a hilariously broken experience just trying to walk through that door ;P

I've had no problems with the system so far. You hit X and Max will go in to cover and you peek around and shoot or blind fire. You can get out of cover by moving the left stick away from the surface you're in cover behind, hitting X or press in a direction and hitting the Shoot Dodge button to dive right out of cover and in to Bullet-Time.

Anyone else notice that multiplayer looks to have 5 prestige levels or "Legends" to unlock?

Numpt3

Oh, great. The store doesn't even know if they can ship it before release because Take2 delayed delivery by one day... WHAT?!

No Max Payne weekend, I can already tell... Fuck my life.

Bugger that, go pick it up from somewhere else and return the other copy when it arrives.

From being very hyped I was slightly disappointed when I read some reviews (checkpoint problems, lack of variation, and so on) but everything about the atmosphere and story seems really intriguing. I am the type of player that forgives a lot as long as the atmosphere is right (absolutely loved Alan Wake, for example). The Eurogamer review pretty much sold it for me. And I don't really care about the fact that the game differs from it's Remedy predecessors, I believe in Rockstar.

On another note, anyone seen any comparisons between the console versions yet? How long does it usually take for Lens of Truth to post their analysis?

Top Bottom