• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

newsguy

I'm loving multi for this game. Nothing like watching guys flying over 2nd story balconies only to get shot midair and drop into a hilarious animation.

dyergram

5b84a87e.jpg

was just about to give up waiting god bless the postie and shopto, shirt is medium and has a rock star label if anyone was wondering.

Numpt3

I hate you. :p

Have fun!

I'm not going to have much time to play it anyway, expecting a furniture delivery any time soon which I will have to faff around with then the Mrs wants to go out later, not my day today.. :/

Hah, I was just about the post a picture of my snazzy new t-shirt, you beat me to it dyergram.

dyergram

I'm not going to have much time to play it anyway, expecting a furniture delivery any time soon which I will have to faff around with then the Mrs wants to go out later, not my day today.. :/

Hah, I was just about the post a picture of my snazzy new t-shirt, you beat me to it dyergram.

:) iv got to pop into work in a bit do I dare ware it...

Montresor

This game is hard.

I'm playing on medium now with soft-lock aim. Should I switch to free aim right now to prepare myself for future hard/hardcore/old school playthroughs?

AEREC

This may be one of those rare games where I triple dip...the last one was Batman Arkham Asylum.

Still...I cant wait to see the screenshot thread after the PC version comes out.

leng jai

Decided to pick up the PS3 version. The framerate is definitely worse than I was expecting after what I read here. I just never seems to be completely smooth with slight hitches here and there.

Having said that the game is fantastic so far. Without doubt some of the best gunplay going around with some rocking audio. The controls definitely feel sluggish at default so most people are going to need some adjustments.

Angry Fork

For those who have beaten it how much of the game takes place in New York or just dark/creepy environments in general?

How much of the game is sunny cartel on the beach with beautiful women seagulls flying around tourists taking pictures bullshit?

AEREC

For those who have beaten it how much of the game takes place in New York or just dark/creepy environments in general?

How much of the game is sunny cartel on the beach with beautiful women seagulls flying around tourists taking pictures bullshit?

New Jersey and dark locations are probably about 1/2 of the game. I wouldn't consider any levels creepy or anything.

Sunny locations are the other half of the game.

The variation on the levels has been great in this game with some of the sunnier levels being the best in the game...although Im only up to chapter 13 right now.

newsguy

Is that the docks at nighttime level? I believe that's where it starts to pick up more but really I felt like the story was going somewhere after the first chapter.

No, that's the level where
they go to Rodrigo's building and all hell breaks loose.

jet1911

1/3 of the game

None

Montresor

Also, this game is gonna be fucking hard to 1000/platinum, isn't it? Lol, I felt like I played all night last night without earning an achievement. I actually kind of like that.

newsguy

I'd take dark in Jersey over bright in some grimey-ass favela anyday.

So, I'm at the beginning of Chapter IV after my first session with the game. Impressions thus far*:

*I'm going to focus on the negatives, as the positives have been highlighted numerous times before and for the most part, I am in agreement.

BOOURNS:

- Rockstar's patented jank... It's still there. I mean, everything is much improved, but it still controls like a TPS created by a developer that doesn't usually make TPS games. The awkward sliding into cover, the ever-so-subtle wobbling as you run, the not-so-subtle jerk in the undesired direction as you sprint. It doesn't control "badly", per se, but spend some time with the AAA titles of the genre and the inferiority becomes apparent. RDR feels like a modded GTAIV and so does MP3 feel like a modded RDR, which really doesn't do it for me. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to take some cues from other games, e.g. the ability to round a corner from cover seamlessly and without shitty animation (seriously; next time you round a corner using the cover button to leave cover, watch out for just how poor the animation is). Must we always shoot-dodge out perpendicularly to the firefight?

- Cinematic overload... Sure, this is quite subjective, but even just brain-storming about it now, certain scenes definitely could have been handled better. For example: the club scene. Why the hell not cut to gameplay as soon as you enter the club? Have Max walk down the stairs, mingle with his employees, get a drink, go to the bathroom. You know, little button prompts or internal monologues that guide the player to places - nothing fancy - simply a pre-drinks before the gameplay party. Have the goons burst in dynamically as you stand around, wondering what the fuck the game wants you to do next. I mean, that would have been a lot better than, "oh, a cut-scene; clearly I ain't doing squat until the bullets start flying and the camera swoops behind Max's back". It turns the game into more of a "one-note experience" than it has to be. Also, as has been mentioned, cut-scenes for 5 seconds of dialogue are silly.

- Bullet-time is FUCKING RAD, but I'm already tiring of it a little. Again, totally subjective. For me, I'm yet to be hooked; yet to swoon over the satisfaction it gives. I dunno... I'm just not feeling it. It has a certain gimmicky feeling to it.

- Other niggles: the game doesn't do a great job of telling you when you're about to bite the dust. Yesssss, I know there's a clear icon on the screen, but it's easy to forget amidst the maelstrom of bullets. Checkpoint issues are also evident and the clairvoyant within me foresees great rage as the difficulty increases.

IN SUMMATION:

There are moments that I've experienced in my relatively brief time with the game that have made me think, "hmm, I didn't like what happened there at all; probably not a keeper", but lo and behold, I'm second-guessing myself in no time due to an awesome set piece that follows shortly after. I'm very much in two minds about MP3. As I feared, Rockstar's idiosyncratic "bizarro x-factor" rears its head in the form of not quite right controls and it irks me. I expected more. I expected tighter navigational controls. Yes, the gunplay is tight, but you can't completely have one without the other. I know that this may be a premature judgment, so I'll play on. The game is definitely not bad by any stretch, so don't get me wrong on that. All I'm saying is that right now, these 7s and 8s are seeming pretty on the money.

Numpt3

Just played the first two chapters... Loving it so far. It's like a Michael Mann re-imagining of Max Payne, different but in a good way.

Dizzle24

I'm sorry, but the MP sucks. Very slow, controls don't feel right for this mode... Played 2 TDM games last night... Just awful. Not my cup of tea.

So, I'm at the beginning of Chapter IV after my first session with the game. Impressions thus far*:

*I'm going to focus on the negatives, as the positives have been highlighted numerous times before and for the most part, I am in agreement.

BOOURNS:

- Rockstar's patented jank... It's still there. I mean, everything is much improved, but it still controls like a TPS created by a developer that doesn't usually make TPS games. The awkward sliding into cover, the ever-so-subtle wobbling as you run, the not-so-subtle jerk in the undesired direction as you sprint. It doesn't control "badly", per se, but spend some time with the AAA titles of the genre and the inferiority becomes apparent. RDR feels like a modded GTAIV and so does MP3 feel like a modded RDR, which really doesn't do it for me. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to take some cues from other games, e.g. the ability to round a corner from cover seamlessly and without shitty animation (seriously; next time you round a corner using the cover button to leave cover, watch out for just how poor the animation is). Must we always shoot-dodge out perpendicularly to the firefight?

- Cinematic overload... Sure, this is quite subjective, but even just brain-storming about it now, certain scenes definitely could have been handled better. For example: the club scene. Why the hell not cut to gameplay as soon as you enter the club? Have Max walk down the stairs, mingle with his employees, get a drink, go to the bathroom. You know, little button prompts or internal monologues that guide the player to places - nothing fancy - simply a pre-drinks before the gameplay party. Have the goons burst in dynamically as you stand around, wondering what the fuck the game wants you to do next. I mean, that would have been a lot better than, "oh, a cut-scene; clearly I ain't doing squat until the bullets start flying and the camera swoops behind Max's back". It turns the game into more of a "one-note experience" than it has to be. Also, as has been mentioned, cut-scenes for 5 seconds of dialogue are silly.

- Bullet-time is FUCKING RAD, but I'm already tiring of it a little. Again, totally subjective. For me, I'm yet to be hooked; yet to swoon over the satisfaction it gives. I dunno... I'm just not feeling it. It has a certain gimmicky feeling to it.

- Other niggles: the game doesn't do a great job of telling you when you're about to bite the dust. Yesssss, I know there's a clear icon on the screen, but it's easy to forget amidst the maelstrom of bullets. Checkpoint issues are also evident and the clairvoyant within me foresees great rage as the difficulty increases.

IN SUMMATION:

There are moments that I've experienced in my relatively brief time with the game that have made me think, "hmm, I didn't like what happened there at all; probably not a keeper", but lo and behold, I'm second-guessing myself in no time due to an awesome set piece that follows shortly after. I'm very much in two minds about MP3. As I feared, Rockstar's idiosyncratic "bizarro x-factor" rears its head in the form of not quite right controls and it irks me. I expected more. I expected tighter navigational controls. Yes, the gunplay is tight, but you can't completely have one without the other. I know that this may be a premature judgment, so I'll play on. The game is definitely not bad by any stretch, so don't get me wrong on that. All I'm saying is that right now, these 7s and 8s are seeming pretty on the money.

I appreciate your impressions, because I too value polish, and tight controls that feel "right". Things should move and behave as you expect them to.

It irks me a little that Rockstar seems to have earned this "pass" from certain corners of the media, because they do so many other things right. IMO gameplay is always number 1, and if you don't nail that, I rarely have much patience for the rest of the package.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow, I'm getting my arse handed to me on medium. I dread to think what hard is like.

Just started Chapter 5. It's been a stellar experience so far.

Tek

I rented this from redbox ( 360 version ) Didn't know about the 1 disc issue until I got home. At what chapter does the disc swap happen? I think I'm on Chpt 3 so I'm wondering how much I have left

I'd take dark in Jersey over bright in some grimey-ass favela anyday.

I'm the opposite. I'm at the end of chapter 13 right now and the weakest parts of the game have been the parts that took place in Jersey. I love the South American setting. Anyway, unless the game takes a nosedive at the end, it's been really great. One of the most competently told videogame stories I've played in forever. Max Payne 3 is an improvement over its predecessors in every way.

Dizzle24

Did you play with free aim? Did you adjust settings? Deathmatch is some fast shit.
Free Aim, yes. Auto aim would be cheating.
Mechanics just feels super sluggish. It was just shootouts by hand gun from across the maps because running from one end to the other too long and the cover mechanic didn't really help but get me stuck to a wall while having my face shot off.

Top Bottom