• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Free Aim, yes. Auto aim would be cheating.
Mechanics just feels super sluggish. It was just shootouts by hand gun from across the maps because running from one end to the other too long and the cover mechanic didn't really help but get me stuck to a wall while having my face shot off.

It felt that way to me at first, but after spending time with it I guess I got used to it. I think it's pretty fun.

Angry Fork

I'm the opposite. I'm at the end of chapter 13 right now and the weakest parts of the game have been the parts that took place in Jersey. I love the South American setting. Anyway, unless the game takes a nosedive at the end, it's been really great. One of the most competently told videogame stories I've played in forever. Max Payne 3 is an improvement over its predecessors in every way.

tumblr_ldge0uqGpw1qdagoe.gif

Can't improve on perfection.

tumblr_ldge0uqGpw1qdagoe.gif

Can't improve on perfection.

Better graphics (after many years it better be), better story and characters (don't beat me, but it's true. Not saying that the characters are the best characters ever, but the characters in MP1 & 2 and pretty shallow. The storyline is more subjective. I can see how people would like the original stories better, but I don't). Better music.

CTE

I rented this from redbox ( 360 version ) Didn't know about the 1 disc issue until I got home. At what chapter does the disc swap happen? I think I'm on Chpt 3 so I'm wondering how much I have left

It's the first 6 chapters of the game. You will miss out on the last 8 Chapters. You get multi on first disc, too.

geebee

Banned
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere or must've missed it, but is there a difference in XP gained when playing Free Aim or Soft Lock playlists?

i shaved my head now and actually max payne is definitley more "film noir" in the favellas, imo.
the biggest downer are the cutscenes. if you look at the camera work, its like max payne 3 is transformers, while uncharted 3 is children of men.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The story/action ratio in the last few chapters is a little disappointing. 30 seconds of dialogue followed by 34223 bad guys. First half of the game was so well paced. I really did not care for the protracted for no reason philosophy.

lucius

So I could not hold out for a price drop and picked it up today, really fun so far but I am thinking of restarting on hard after beating a couple of chapters does the game get much tougher or are most people starting on hard mode?

Picked the game up yesterday after work and got about two hours with the game. Unfortunately, there is just something that is completely off about the control and it is killing my enjoyment of the game. It isn't really one specific problem per se, but a host of them that together really bother me. Perhaps I can blow this off as a symptom of not having enough time with the game or being a little tired, but I usually pick up the feeling for control almost immediately in any game. Max Payne 3, however? Not even close. Movement speed not feeling fast enough along with the way Max moves coupled with some strange sensitivity issues with no happy medium make shooting, turning and moving feel... bizarre. The way Max feels in the world doesn't feel natural and everything I do feels forced.

I will give it another shot when I get home today and hopefully everything can click because my fiasco with the control is really making me sad. On top of that, another major issue I have is the over-the-top use of filters, distortion, shaky cam and all that other crap that Rockstar threw into every cutscene I watched. That stuff never bothers me, but I actually got pissed off with it and started feeling dizzy and it made me stop playing. Like I said, I will give the game another go after work today, so hopefully that crap just stops right away. I expected way more from the cutscenes and I am getting nothing but anger from them.

There are some great things in the game. The game looks really good and act of actually shooting something (when I can aim properly) feels good because of the way people react to a bullet. I can't say much for the sound because I can't crank the sound, but it sounded good from what I did hear. I just hope everything can come together soon...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The story/action ratio in the last few chapters is a little disappointing. 30 seconds of dialogue followed by 34223 bad guys. First half of the game was so well paced. I really did not care for the protracted for no reason philosophy.
That's how the game ends up?

One of my pet peeves is the complete butchering of any pacing that had been established earlier in the game in service of "cranking up" the action. A constant, heavy flow of enemies simply isn't fun in most cases.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

One of my pet peeves is the complete butchering of any pacing that had been established earlier in the game in service of "cranking up" the action. A constant, heavy flow of enemies simply isn't fun in most cases.
I'm on chapter 12 and haven't had that issue at all yet. In fact, the last chapter I did seemed to have fewer enemies than the others.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

It definitely tested my patience. There were sections where you'd think 'hey this would be awesome for some kinda small skirmish' and then 30 dudes roll up in jeeps.

newsguy

I'm the opposite. I'm at the end of chapter 13 right now and the weakest parts of the game have been the parts that took place in Jersey. I love the South American setting. Anyway, unless the game takes a nosedive at the end, it's been really great. One of the most competently told videogame stories I've played in forever. Max Payne 3 is an improvement over its predecessors in every way.

Oh lol, I meant in real life as far as danger is concerned.

Sandman42

Anybody have issues finding multiplayer games? Last night I was playing at what should have been a pretty decent hour for traffic and I noticed that no playlist had more than 500 people playing it. This is on ps3 btw.

I just thought that seemed like a low player count for a popular game in its first week. Is this just because of Diablo and people playing single player?

I continue to be convinced something it screwup up with the traget reticle. I keep lining up shots, the dot turns red and it's a miss. Other times, I put the dot directly in the center of someones head and it hits the chest (this has happen MANY times). The rifle/sniper parts are by far the worst. It's just off by a good margin.

man wheres my SOUNDTRACK?? I keep going to R*'s site and I've got nothing. I figured it would've been ready to go at noon.

Just got to Chapter 12. This fucking game man. Chapter 11's music has been my fav so far. Def got an 80's slow Wang Chung vibe to it at certain moments

MMaRsu

Anybody have issues finding multiplayer games? Last night I was playing at what should have been a pretty decent hour for traffic and I noticed that no playlist had more than 500 people playing it. This is on ps3 btw.

I just thought that seemed like a low player count for a popular game in its first week. Is this just because of Diablo and people playing single player?

A lot of people are playing softlock on Ps3.. Wtf right?

How do you stay prone on the ground after using Shoot Dodge?

Dont move the left stick.

Arcteryx

Don't forget to count both lock and free aim modes. But yea, even when doing that, I found ~1500-2000 last night only.

I kept having connection issues last night, endless loading screens then kickback to MP screen.

Picked the game up yesterday after work and got about two hours with the game. Unfortunately, there is just something that is completely off about the control and it is killing my enjoyment of the game. It isn't really one specific problem per se, but a host of them that together really bother me. Perhaps I can blow this off as a symptom of not having enough time with the game or being a little tired, but I usually pick up the feeling for control almost immediately in any game. Max Payne 3, however? Not even close. Movement speed not feeling fast enough along with the way Max moves coupled with some strange sensitivity issues with no happy medium make shooting, turning and moving feel... bizarre. The way Max feels in the world doesn't feel natural and everything I do feels forced.

I will give it another shot when I get home today and hopefully everything can click because my fiasco with the control is really making me sad. On top of that, another major issue I have is the over-the-top use of filters, distortion, shaky cam and all that other crap that Rockstar threw into every cutscene I watched. That stuff never bothers me, but I actually got pissed off with it and started feeling dizzy and it made me stop playing. Like I said, I will give the game another go after work today, so hopefully that crap just stops right away. I expected way more from the cutscenes and I am getting nothing but anger from them.

There are some great things in the game. The game looks really good and act of actually shooting something (when I can aim properly) feels good because of the way people react to a bullet. I can't say much for the sound because I can't crank the sound, but it sounded good from what I did hear. I just hope everything can come together soon...

Hmmm...well this is the last thing I wanted to read right now. I was going to snag this game after work today but had reservations at first because I've never cared for how clunky and awkward R* controls are. Seeing as how you're having issues with aiming in a game that's shooter-centric worries me.

But I'm going to buy it anyway.

kaskade

Man, I love how this game can make something simple looks awesome. I used the shoot dodge took down 2 guys then another guy ran around out and I snapped to him while I was still on the ground. Oh course it was the last enemy so I got the bullet cam. Can't wait to get back home and play it.

Just nabbed this from Walmart (Canada). They had this promo pack with Episodes from LC so I thought WTH. Sucks that it's a greatest hits box...

Oh, well. Gon' play dis sucka now.

Just played the first two chapters... Loving it so far. It's like a Michael Mann re-imagining of Max Payne, different but in a good way.

Yeah, I think this is why I'm loving it so much.

Also the melee executions are works of art.

Oh lol, I meant in real life as far as danger is concerned.

Whoops, I definitely agree then.

Hmmm...well this is the last thing I wanted to read right now. I was going to snag this game after work today but had reservations at first because I've never cared for how clunky and awkward R* controls are. Seeing as how you're having issues with aiming in a game that's shooter-centric worries me.

But I'm going to buy it anyway.

The controls aren't all that good at first, but you do adjust. I'm playing on free aim and fucking sucked at first. After a few hours though I was blasting fools.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm trying and failing to imagine how this could be a bad thing. Guess I'll find out tonight.

Cause the game never suffers from a lack of action. It throws off the rhythm it established so well earlier. Its not a huge deal, it just starts feeling repetitive.

MMaRsu

Man, I love how this game can make something simple looks awesome. I used the shoot dodge took down 2 guys then another guy ran around out and I snapped to him while I was still on the ground. Oh course it was the last enemy so I got the bullet cam. Can't wait to get back home and play it.

So you're playing on softlock/hardlock?

lol

So you're playing on softlock/hardlock?

lol

I dont get it. Free Aim is just so fucking satisfying. You really limit yourself to the amount of unbelievably fun ways to down opponents when you auto target their chests 100% of the time. Plus, that crutch doesn't mean anything by the time you reach Chapter 8.

see5harp

I like what I've played thus far but god I have issues with locating the reticle and hate that it's hidden in cover. On hard (freeaim) I've died a few times and I'm only on Chapter 3.

MMaRsu

Anyway my theory on the story so far, right now I'm after the part where you go back to jersey a second time.

Here be spoilers, or potential spoilers since it's just a theory so far. Please don't confirm any of this though :p.

I think Victor Branco or that politician guy is behind most of it. I think he is the one who got Fabiana kidnapped, and he wanted the money so he made a deal with the local police chief that he would intervene and get the money for him. Now that money would be able to further his political career as he's down in the polls. I'm pretty sure Marcello is also helping him, fuckbag that he is. But I think he came in later, he didnt know about it at the club etc.

Well that's what I think is going on, just speculation :).

Just watched michael_1985 from Twitch.tv (that's the Schwarzenegger guy :D ) finish Hard Mode. Was really fun seeing him rage on the final chapters. Guy was hella tense and barely made it through some encounters. Great watch.

Should get my game tomorrow. Probably starting on Hard, I don't care. Seriously want to platinum this game, even if it takes me a very long time.

kaskade

I dont get it. Free Aim is just so fucking satisfying. You really limit yourself to the amount of unbelievably fun ways to down opponents when you auto target their chests 100% of the time. Plus, that crutch doesn't mean anything by the time you reach Chapter 8.

I just never turned it off. I just liked that it made it easier to actually find an enemy by pulling the L trigger. I only just turned the sensitivity and acceleration up. I felt like it was too difficult to quickly target someone before.

Does anyone else wish there was a little more notice of when you are about to die. It could be me just not paying attention enough but I felt like there's been a few times when I didn't realize I had maybe one more hit left. It only seems like the sound starts to tone down a bit. It doesn't have to be bloody like CoD but something. I know it's more old school without it though.

One other little thing I do like is how the crosshair turns into an x when you kill an enemy.

GeoramA

Dammit Chapter 6

I was so close to completing it without using a painkiller, but then that armored asshole at the end fucked me up badly. Had to use about 6 painkillers just from him alone. Also, RIP IT guy :(

Arcteryx

Dammit Chapter 6

I was so close to completing it without using a painkiller, but then that armored asshole at the end fucked me up badly. Had to use about 6 painkillers just from him alone. Also, RIP IT guy :(

The FAL drops those guys REALLY fast

Hey, I'm having problems joining the crew. On the Social Club, I have a message saying:

DGSimo has invited you to join the crew NeoGANG:

But there's nothing else there (no accept/deny etc), do I need to reply to the message?

Also, if I go into the Crews section, it says 0 Invites. Finally, in game I also can't select the Invitations menu choice.

Invite was a week ago, do they expire?

Have a 3 day weekend, time for some Max Payne :D

MMaRsu

Dammit Chapter 6

Is that the chapter at the Bronco office? Headshots headshots headshots my man, only go for headshots :p

sikkinixx

Bah, almost done chapter 13 but armoured dick head ruined my flow so I'm takin a break. About the only things I dislike are a) bullet sponges... so fucking annoying and b) sometimes I shoot a dude in the head and he DOESN'T die in one shot. Oh and the fact that shoot jumping is useless as all hell in this game. Oh and the laser sight is terrible... just terrible.

But god damn, the VA on Max in ch 12 when you
confront the dude on the hotel rooftop "YOU SICK FUCK" was epic.

Well, I just started the Single player (been playing MP since launch) and by
the second chapter, I've never felt so rushed. In the Japanese restaurant while looking for a piece of a Golden Gun, a short cinematic came up where Max takes a cell phone call, saying that the gang members took Fabiana and I failed the mission. And there were times where I 'let' (controls) the gang members kill the sister, and one time I accidentally shot her myself

Top Bottom