• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Raptomex

Well, I just started the game (been playing MP since launch) and by
the second chapter, I've never felt so rushed. In the Japanese restaurant while looking for a piece of a Golden Gun, a short cinematic came up where Max takes a cell phone call, saying that the gang members took Fabiana and I failed the mission. And there were times where I 'let' (controls) the gang members kill the sister, and one time I accidentally shot her myself
Yeah, you got to keep moving. I'm going to work on collecting all the shit on my second playthrough.

soultron

Banned
Well, I just started the Single player (been playing MP since launch) and by
the second chapter, I've never felt so rushed. In the Japanese restaurant while looking for a piece of a Golden Gun, a short cinematic came up where Max takes a cell phone call, saying that the gang members took Fabiana and I failed the mission. And there were times where I 'let' (controls) the gang members kill the sister, and one time I accidentally shot her myself

Hah. The first bit you mentioned is kind of neat.

I really had to tell myself, "NO! Collect that shit on your next playthrough!" very often.

soultron

Banned
I heard that having all the collectible guns gives you
unlimited ammo
for use on the second playthorugh when you collect them on the first?

That makes zero sense. Don't know where you heard that from.

That's too specific (do this first play through, get this on your second), unless it's not limited to what playthrough you do it on.

Well, I just started the game (been playing MP since launch) and by

This is probably the biggest issue I have with the game so far. If they wanted you to feel compelled to keep pushing forward and included timed fail-states if you don't, then they shouldn't have put collectibles strewn about in the corners of the world. It trivializes the hectic pace that the game is frequently striving for. The golden guns I really couldn't care less about (even though my inner-completist demands I still look for them), but the clues are usually worth finding. It's especially annoying if you're only looking for more painkillers, and if you're playing on a harder difficulty, you will be constantly.

Has anyone started a second play through yet? I started one last night but every time I push "A" to skip a cut-scene I get the still loading at the bottom right. That shit is annoying. Does arcade mode do away with the cut-scenes?

GeoramA

Is that the chapter at the Bronco office? Headshots headshots headshots my man, only go for headshots :p
Yeah, I noticed his helmet flying off right before he went down. Fucker reloads ridiculously fast though, so you only have like a second before he starts shooting again.

Cause the game never suffers from a lack of action. It throws off the rhythm it established so well earlier. Its not a huge deal, it just starts feeling repetitive.

I agree. I just finished the game today on Hard and the amount of enemies that are thrown at you is ridiculously absurd. I wonder if difficulty effects the number enemies you'll face?

I was really, really into it during the first hour or so... but a couple chapters in it's turned into "kill 1000 mans" with rather shitty controls. I hope it changes back to more of an interactive story like the opening was. I know that's less of a "game" but i found it much more enjoyable.

Gah, can't wait to get my hands on this.

Wildly stupid question: I know there's online multi, but is there a co-op or split-screen mode? Two bros, one couch?

Raptomex

I heard that having all the collectible guns gives you
unlimited ammo
for use on the second playthorugh when you collect them on the first?
From what I read the
golden guns give you enhanced weapons (you can turn golden guns off, too I think
. That's all I know. I don't know if
finding all the clues does anything for you

Simo

man wheres my SOUNDTRACK?? I keep going to R*'s site and I've got nothing. I figured it would've been ready to go at noon.

Just got to Chapter 12. This fucking game man. Chapter 11's music has been my fav so far. Def got an 80's slow Wang Chung vibe to it at certain moments

I assumed it was a typo and we'd have to wait till the 23rd like everyone else but I just asked Rockstar and they said we're still getting it today!!!

The score has been absolutely fucking phenomenal. HEALTH did an amazing job and I haven't even beat the game yet.

EDIT: Also if someone here manages to beat Hardcore New York Minute then I will bow before you.

jonno394

Dived straight into Hard mode with free aim, died numerous times during the
rooftop shootout
in chapter 2. Trying to not play it like a cover shooter, love diving head first into a fire fight.

Plays like the old games, doesnt feel like it yet though in terms of visuals, writing, cutscenes etc, but I like it a lot already.

Raptomex

By far one of the greatest shooters I've ever played. It's challenging and requires skill. You get so much satisfaction out of shooting someone in this game it's ridiculous.

lucius

I started over on hard with free aim and it actually felt too hard, maybe because I have not played Max Payne in years. So now playing on hard with soft lock and having fun, I like the story so far, some of the cutscene edits can be dizzing but I understand what they are trying to do.

When I started it told me that some trophies were ffected my the aim selection and I choose free aim. What trphoies are those? I'll be ready to a lock on play after this.

Just finished it. And well it's basically a Michael Mann action movie. Which is to say that it was really fucking awesome. The story was very well done. The action pieces were extremely well done.
The shootout in the airport terminal in the final chapter with the music was outstanding.

I kind of figured Victor was behind it, but also thought Marcello was involved. Was really surprised to see Marcello get an Armadillo Special.

Great game. Bring on the GTA5.

lucius

When I started it told me that some trophies were ffected my the aim selection and I choose free aim. What trphoies are those? I'll be ready to a lock on play after this.

Yeah I was looking at the list at there are like 4 of them, I will play it again in free aim to get those.

I'm having a real annoying bug in Chapter 13, where I get to a certain enemy type, and if I die, the game goes to a black screen, with the music playing in the background, and nothing happens. The 360 guide button still works and everything; the system is not completely frozen, but I have to end the session and reboot the game. It's happened 3 times in a row already; really pissing me off as I can't progress further, and this bastard keeps killing me!

Raptomex

I'm having a real annoying bug in Chapter 13, where I get to a certain enemy type, and if I die, the game goes to a black screen, with the music playing in the background, and nothing happens. The 360 guide button still works and everything; the system is not completely frozen, but I have to end the session and reboot the game. It's happened 3 times in a row already; really pissing me off as I can't progress further, and this bastard keeps killing me!
I had that happen with a cutscene. It was still going but the screen went black. Only happened once. I went back to the Xbox menu and relaunched the game.

Sometimes the game does some very weird things which has you rebooting the system. I had to do that three times in the first playthrough and it never occured in firefights but when the cutscenes started. I believe it has something to do with the constant loading that happens in the cutscenes.

Arcteryx

Glad(sad for you and me) to see I'm not the only one with bugs in SP.

Raptomex

Glad(sad for you and me) to see I'm not the only one with bugs in SP.
Did you guys install the game? I have it installed and like I said before it only happened once so far to me. When it did go black and I hit the Xbox button the game would display "Loading" text in the lower right hand corner. It probably is due to all the background loading.

micah

Just beat the game, loved every minute of it. I haven't played shooters in awhile so I played on Medium with SoftLock, still got stuck at some points. Playing on Hard with Free Aim now, and its killing me in spots. I can't even imagine there is still two more difficulties beyond this. Anyone know if they just keep increasing the amount of people or if the ones present just get more health?

Every time I read these glowing impressions and get psyched to buy the game I come across a post about how crappy the controls are and I it brings me back down to earth.

I'll be picking this up in about 3 hours but I think my expectations are more in check now.

Arcteryx

Did you guys install the game? I have it installed and like I said before it only happened once so far to me. When it did go black and I hit the Xbox button the game would display "Loading" text in the lower right hand corner. It probably is due to all the background loading.

PS3 for me, but yea it happened right after a long cutscene, perhaps it just loaded weird, as it sorted itself out today after re-trying a couple times.

Every time I read these glowing impressions and get psyched to buy the game I come across a post about how crappy the controls are and I it brings me back down to earth.

I'll be picking this up in about 3 hours but I think my expectations are more in check now.
If you spend some time messing around with the controls you can definitely find something to suit most tastes.

lush

Holy hell, playing on Hard is not fun at all. Replayed a chapter on Easy and it's way more fun. Early chapter with the
boats
is pissing me off. Also, the lack of checkpoints in some areas is maddening. The last stand mode sucks alot of the time too.

Still pretty fun. The multiplayer is definitely a surprise, way more depth than expected.

I dont know if anyone has noticed or commented yet, but there is an "adjustable difficulty" curve, like in the previous games. I'm playing on hard and dying ALOT, and what I've seen is that if death happens enough, you'll reload and end up having one or two bottles of painkillers on you. The AI might be dumbed down too but my mental adrenaline is running like crazy so the additional health is all Ive really noticed so far.

JB1981

honestly who cares? everyone is different. why don't you just play the game for yourself? it's a game, not a life or death decision.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
MyEpitomeCliché;37965715 said:
This is probably the biggest issue I have with the game so far. If they wanted you to feel compelled to keep pushing forward and included timed fail-states if you don't, then they shouldn't have put collectibles strewn about in the corners of the world. It trivializes the hectic pace that the game is frequently striving for. The golden guns I really couldn't care less about (even though my inner-completist demands I still look for them), but the clues are usually worth finding. It's especially annoying if you're only looking for more painkillers, and if you're playing on a harder difficulty, you will be constantly.
It seems like the collectibles, achievements and additional modes are designed as such for multiple playthroughs. At least you can load up any checkpoint to get/do anything you missed.

I agree. I just finished the game today on Hard and the amount of enemies that are thrown at you is ridiculously absurd. I wonder if difficulty effects the number enemies you'll face?

If you are talking about
the end of the bus crash sequence and then also right before the end of the airport level.....
there were a fuck ton of enemies also on medium difficultly.

Also, FUCK! Is it a challenge trying to get all gold ratings on score attack in the arcade mode. Infinite bullet time unlock will be so worth it though!

Top Bottom