• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

ezekial45

Banned
Just finished it. I was impressed by this game. I remember feeling weird about the premise back when they first announced the game 3 years ago, but they really nailed it. Though I feel a bit conflicted on getting another game. As much as I'd like to have another game, how much can they put Max through? I'm starting to feel really bad that he has to go through all this sick, depressing sick.

Also, I'd like to add that they did a great thing by including a score attack mode. It'll seriously up the replay value for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So.. you favor the presentation, giving it a 9/10, but then the gameplay a 6/10? lol

The best part is the health regen bit... lol... review reads like a forum post. Score is clearly just trying to drum up traffic on their site.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ehhh can't say I agree with you on regen health. That needs to die a quick death.

I'm on Hard right now and regen would make the game too easy I think. You already gain slowmo bar from getting shot at while at cover, so you can effectivly try and play similarly to the way you do there where you plant against cover and only attack with the protection of bullet time.

I do think there are times where you can get killed out of nowhere insanely fast, but low health + regen is usually an annoying combo.

Arcteryx

I'm on Hard right now and regen would make the game too easy I think. You already gain slowmo bar from getting shot at while at cover, so you can effectivly try and play similarly to the way you do there where you plant against cover and only attack with the protection of bullet time.

I do think there are times where you can get killed out of nowhere insanely fast, but low health + regen is usually an annoying combo.

Yea regen would totally kill the adrenaline factor of the game.

"oh what's that? I'm low on health? I'll just go into cover here and gain some HP while I hide and headshot baddies in slo-mo from cover...instead of diving out like a badass with a sliver of HP"

Whenever the soundtrack goes up, find out the tracks for Ch. 11 and Ch 13, because they're amazing. Also, upload to Youtube immediately so I can listen to them (Will probably buy the soundtrack anyway)

Lima

Yeah I was looking at the list at there are like 4 of them, I will play it again in free aim to get those.

Take note that you will not get the hard/hardcore and oldshool trophies/achievements if you use anything but free aim. Once you turn on soft or hard lock on these modes, you will not be able to get the achievement on that playthrough anymore.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I will. In a few hours.

Still, it's disappointing to hear that R* has issues with controls.

It's nowhere near as clunky as any R* game that's come before. Not even close. Anyone who makes the comparison is exaggerating.

But there are occasional collision issues, and it does take a little while to adjust to what they're doing with Max's movement. You need to really think about the direction you want to move, and think of it like shifting a real human being's "weight" in that direction. It's hard to explain, but at this point the game controls almost perfectly for me -- it will eventually click. I don't have any of the problems I was having in the first 20 mins.

There's some clunk here and there... but it's pretty damn minimal and I really have to question those who are saying the game is classic R* jank, because that's way off.

For me, the most "annoying" thing is that the ADS sensitivity is really low. Your ADS aiming is really slow, and that can be somewhat frustrating... but otherwise the game is very fluid. I mean, that something that stands out. Animation and control... mark that in the win column.

I'll be curious to read your impressions later... after having put some time into it.

Even the basic cover system is pretty jank-free. It's not as robust as people might like, but very rarely does it cause any problems.

It's nowhere near as clunky as any R* game that's come before. Not even close. Anyone who makes the comparison is exaggerating.

But there are occasional collision issues, and it does take a little while to adjust to what they're doing with Max's movement. You need to really think about the direction you want to move, and think of it like shifting a real human being's "weight" in that direction. It's hard to explain, but at this point the game controls almost perfectly for me -- it will eventually click. I don't have any of the problems I was having in the first 20 mins.

There's some clunk here and there... but it's pretty damn minimal and I really have to question those who are saying the game is classic R* jank, because that's way off.

For me, the most "annoying" thing is that the ADS sensitivity is really low. Your ADS aiming is really slow, and that can be somewhat frustrating... but otherwise the game is very fluid. I mean, that something that stands out. Animation and control... mark that in the win column.

I'll be curious to read your impressions later... after having put some time into it.

Even the basic cover system is pretty jank-free. It's not as robust as people might like, but very rarely does it cause any problems.

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to it. I'll spend most of tonight blasting faces.

Fjordson

Just finished it. I was impressed by this game. I remember feeling weird about the premise back when they first announced the game 3 years ago, but they really nailed it. Though I feel a bit conflicted on getting another game. As much as I'd like to have another game, how much can they put Max through? I'm starting to feel really bad that he has to go through all this sick, depressing sick.

Also, I'd like to add that they did a great thing by including a score attack mode. It'll seriously up the replay value for me.
Yeah, I don't know, yet another game might be overkill.

Though I wonder...some kind of prequel or something back in New York/New Jersey might be pretty cool. The flashback levels had such a great atmosphere. Dark and freezing cold, with the city skyline in the background. I think R* could really do well with that setting.

I'm loving the game, but that's probably my only nitpick with the single-player. I don't feel as connected to the setting as I did in the first two games. Not because it isn't New York. Brazil was a really neat choice I think. It's just that the first half of the game sort of has you all over the place in all these different locations. Kind of felt like globe trotting in Uncharted or something. It makes for some nice variety and obviously a lot of people dig games like Uncharted, I just miss the more intimate and straightforward progression from 1 and 2. Moving through a motel, down the street to a nightclub, a few more blocks through some apartments. All the environments worked well together to build Remedy's vision of New York into a believable world.

To be fair, the second half of MP 3 gets way better at this. Moving through the grimy back alleys and rundown houses of the favela really was classic Max Payne. Same with a lot of the other environments later on since they were all part of the city and felt well connected to each other.

That's just me, though. Still a great game with quality writing and insanely fun combat. The above nitpick is just the one thing that I'd change for another game (which probably wouldn't show up for a long time anyway).

Keep your gross health-regeneration out of my Max Payne. Playing on Hard, I've had so many super tense moments during huge firefights in which I barely survive because I have to monitor my health closely and weigh the positives and negatives about downing the few painkillers I have on me. It's thrilling stuff, and though a good portion of it is trial and error, there's some considerable strategy to be utilized during combat that wouldn't exist if I could just hide in a corner for a few seconds and be good as new.

Couldn't agree more, game feels very responsive, and the sensitivity even on default is perfect for me. I am playing through hard with free aim right now, and having some pretty epic hard-boiledesque moments, where i am literally find myself yelling out loud (wife is a bit puzzled by this).

Loving this game, and i think the controls are not only good but great, fluid and responsive, only gripe is a few hiccups where the animation has you pointing your gun to the sky, or when you are in a last stand moment and your guns are being awkwardly pointed and im not sure i should really be complaining about that last one, i mean it is a second chance they're giving us there lol.

Muskweeto

I remember towards the end of the big office building shoot out I was down to a sliver of health with a ton of guys shooting at me, I took cover behind a cubicle wall and was ready to accept defeat. A guy shot away the wall above my head revealing a bottle of pain killers on the desk in the next cubicle. I grabbed those pills, took them, then dived out popping off most of the guys in the room and while on my back, I shot the guy standing over me right in the head.

Only in Max Payne, man, only in Max Payne.

Raptomex

Shooting 2 snipers on the roof using shootdodge and watching the bullet fly through one's face and the other guy goes falling off. Priceless.

MercuryLS

Banned
You know what I really love about this game? 1) Pistols are amazing, just as good if not better than rifles. 2) Headshots actually mean something, doesn't matter if it's a favela drug lord or a heavily armored mercenary. If I shoot you in the head, you should go down faster than Kim Kardasian at an NAACP Convention.

soultron

Banned
I kinda agree with this review...because I wrote it.

http://padinga.com/2012/05/17/max-payne-3-review/

I agree with a lot of what you've written, especially the criticisms. I'm still saying that it's a phenomenal experience, nonetheless.

I do, however, disagree with the health system and the bullet spongey enemies. Free Aim quickly allows you to score headshots with ease; there's very little recoil in this game which makes this even easier. As for the health regen, that's just a personal preference. I'm not a fan of it because it encourages slower paced gameplay when you have to hide and regenerate your health. I like being able to pop painkillers and get right back into the thick of things. (Even better when you shootdodge and toss the empty bottle! Haha.)

Good review even though we disagree on those two points.

You know what I really love about this game? 1) Pistols are amazing, just as good if not better than rifles. 2) Headshots actually mean something, doesn't matter if it's a favela drug lord or a heavily armored mercenary. If I shoot you in the head, you should go down faster than Kim Kardasian at an NAACP Convention.

a2ZqB.gif

Just finished it. And well it's basically a Michael Mann action movie. Which is to say that it was really fucking awesome. The story was very well done. The action pieces were extremely well done.
The shootout in the airport terminal in the final chapter with the music was outstanding.

I kind of figured Victor was behind it, but also thought Marcello was involved. Was really surprised to see Marcello get an Armadillo Special.

Great game. Bring on the GTA5.

I felt pretty bad (end spoilers)
about Marcello. While it seems like he was involved to some degree, there is no way he knew about Victor and his plots. The fact that he and Giovanna are in the favela halfway through means that he and Giovanna went on their own to try to rescue Fabianna. The fact it was all for nothing was so depressing.

Final shootout at the end of Chapter 12 resulted in at least 50 game over screens for me.

The game is brutal but I've never really felt frustrated. The only spot that gave me some grief was the terrible checkpointing in Chapter 5, (I think):
The checkpoint was right before a gauntlet run across a series of docks with dudes shooting at you and boats that appeared every now and then. I made it THIS close to the next checkpoint like 10 times, and then it was back to watching Max jump over that stupid railing real slow again

soultron

Banned
Final shootout at the end of Chapter 12 resulted in at least 50 game over screens for me.

Edit: AND WHERES MY SOUNDTRACK?!

Wat. Is that the UFE chapter?
It wasn't really that tough. Venturing into the armory underneath the boss yields a heavy machine gun that makes quick work of the stuff on the ceiling and the 4 enemies you have to mop up on the ground level.

Mechazawa

Can someone remind me how you melee in multiplayer? I thought the SP told me it was right trigger, but for some reason it never works for me in MP.

Choc

Banned
chapter 11 or 12 spoilers cant remember

the fucking shootout on the crumbling building can go fuck itself. There should be a save point just before the final 'boss'. I died there like 50 fucking times. Biggest problem is the random timer where the building crumbles if you dont get through quick enough

Con_Smith

Banned
chapter 11 or 12 spoilers cant remember

the fucking shootout on the crumbling building can go fuck itself. There should be a save point just before the final 'boss'. I died there like 50 fucking times. Biggest problem is the random timer where the building crumbles if you dont get through quick enough

Wasn't so bad for me since they show you how to handle that situation at the Bronco building. What got me was the fact you can fail without getting shot.

Don't get me wrong; I think this game is a masterpiece and one of the best shooters ever made. But...does anyone else think it's sort of buggy, at least a little? I've hit some pretty jarring pop-in/texture stuff at times, I fell through the geometry once, and one time when I hit 'Continue' on a second playthrough the game just loaded forever and hung there on the comic panel loading screen. I dunno. It's just odd.

Hazmat

Just finished the SP. Excellent. I'm getting into the mulitplayer now and sent a request to join the GAF crew.

Huzzah for bullet time!

Ridley327

The single player definitely picked up after chapter 7 (which was the longest goddamn thing ever), but the Last Stand mechanic has gotten me killed more times than just about anything else in the game. The animation system really causes it to have some serious shitfits at times.

Con_Smith

Banned
Don't get me wrong; I think this game is a masterpiece and one of the best shooters ever made. But...does anyone else think it's sort of buggy, at least a little? I've hit some pretty jarring pop-in/texture stuff at times, I fell through the geometry once, and one time when I hit 'Continue' on a second playthrough the game just loaded forever and hung there on the comic panel loading screen. I dunno. It's just odd.

Only bug I hit was my multiplayer avatar breakdancing when I bullet time dodged into a wall and hit the melee button. Other than that everything has been pretty smooth.

Game is pretty amazing so far, and makes me feel like I'm playing MP 1 or 2 all over again for some reason. Been debating getting MP2 off games on demand just to see what I have missed since the last time I played it back in the day. Although Rockstar games are pretty much day 1 buys for me anyway, I am pretty surprised they pulled off not only a great Max game, but a another great game that doesn't compromise itself to be easier.

8 chapters down and this is already my favorite shooter campaign of the generation. Just brilliant. The shootouts in the last few chapters have been so intense.

And I don't understand the bullet sponge complaints at ALL. The enemies in this game are so reactive to your shots and anyone with good aim should have absolutely no problem. I swear to God this world is backwards when I constantly read that complaint about this game while Uncharted 3 prances around with legitimate bullet sponges and never gets criticized for it.

Top Bottom