• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

MercuryLS

Banned
Really? I left the sensitivity at 7 for vertical and horizontal, after that, everything grooved perfectly for me.

+10 for acceleration. Should have been set up that way from the beginning. I think most people will go for soft/hard lock and they won't "get" what's so great about this game.

soultron

Banned
I really hate getting mad at games for being hard on hard, but this is getting pretty fucking stupid. Like unfair, not balanced for hard shit. What the goddamn fuck?
Play one of the more recent CODs on Veteran. Those games are fucking brutal for no reason.

I'm starting my Hard playthrough tonight. We can compare notes later. :p

This. Plus ugh I dunno why But I just can't play this game... :l I'm not even on Chapter 3 and I already want to give up :/

Wow.

I just got to Chapter 3 and I'm having a blast. I would've gotten further but I had to replay the
night club section
again because I wasn't satisfied with how much ass I kicked the first time.

I started on Easy after hearing about how hard the game was and I wish I started on Medium. It's pretty easy so far but still a ton of fun. I can't stop shootdodging, any time there's more than one guy left I'm diving through the air picking off heads.

I'll be sure to do another playthrough right away on Medium, maybe Hard if I'm feeling up to it.

+10 for acceleration. Should have been set up that way from the beginning. I think most people will go for soft/hard lock and they won't "get" what's so great about this game.

The best part of free aim isn't the headshots, it's when you DON'T get headshots and Euphoria starts to work its magic. That feeling just isn't the same when you use lock-on aiming. Some of the kills and animations I've seen in combination with bullet time has left my jaw on the floor, even after GTAIV and RDR.

Wow.

I just got to Chapter 3 and I'm having a blast. I would've gotten further but I had to replay the
night club section
again because I wasn't satisfied with how much ass I kicked the first time.

I started on Easy after hearing about how hard the game was and I wish I started on Medium. It's pretty easy so far but still a ton of fun. I can't stop shootdodging, any time there's more than one guy left I'm diving through the air picking off heads.

I'll be sure to do another playthrough right away on Medium, maybe Hard if I'm feeling up to it.

Is there really an Easy mode?

Jharp

get gooder.

I generally like to think I'm good at games. I mean, by no means am I anything to brag about, but I enjoy games that are specifically made to be tough- your Demon's/Dark Souls, and STALKERs, and indie stuff like Day Z.

This is just horseshit though. It seems people are having a tough time on medium, but hard is poorly balanced at best. Difficulties should scale without compromising the core conceits intended in a game's design. This reminds me of playing the early hours of Skyrim on the harder difficulties, where scaling would cause bears and sabrecats to dominate dragons. Obviously there's nothing quite analogous in this, a linear shooter, but it's that sort of goofy difficulty scaling that seems to plague it.

But then, maybe I'm just a bitch. Or getting old. Or both.

soultron

Banned
The best part of free aim isn't the headshots, it's when you DON'T get headshots and Euphoria starts to work its magic. That feeling just isn't the same when you use lock-on aiming. Some of the kills and animations I've seen in combination with bullet time has left my jaw on the floor, even after GTAIV and RDR.
Being able to shoot dudes in the legs and arms -- to stagger them -- if they're wearing flak jackets is also pretty crucial. And shooting dudes in the pecker, obviously.

geebee

Banned
Being able to shoot dudes in the legs and arms -- to stagger them -- if they're wearing flak jackets is also pretty crucial. And shooting dudes in the pecker, obviously.
As cruel as it sounds, shooting people in the crotch with Euphoria and the bullet physics is pretty damn entertaining.

jfkgoblue

this game is so awesome, but at times it feels like the enemies are bullet sponges, but still this game makes all other TPS combat feel slow and boring

this game is so awesome, but at times it feels like the enemies are bullet sponges, but still this game makes all other TPS combat feel slow and boring

They really aren't. People need to not use soft lock, or if using free aim, stop shooting them center mass. Those flak jackets take too much damage. Target heads, arms, and legs.

leng jai

Dying a lot on medium. Seems I'm not that good at this game despite clocking MP2 at least 10 times.

What the hell is up with the trophies? I've been playing for hours and haven't even got one yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit. Just finished. Easily among the best shooters ever, if not right at the top. I'm off to bed but I'll write more up tomorrow. Fucking amazing the whole way through. It was a rough 9 year wait but Max got the sequel he deserved.

Dying a lot on medium. Seems I'm not that good at this game despite clocking MP2 at least 10 times.

What the hell is up with the trophies? I've been playing for hours and haven't even got one yet.

I noticed that too. A lot of the trophies need a lot of work to get them... hence the 'Grinds'. There are no chapter trophies, just 'part' trophies. Also, you can get trophies during the auto bullet-time bits, but it involves shooting everyone, if you miss someone, it doesn't count. And trophies are involved in collectibles and stuff.

Finished the game on Hard today. I have to say, it's one of the most enjoyable games i've played in a long time. Especially for a shooter, I play a lot of shooters and most of them have mediocre singleplayer experiences but MP3 was very fun. Started New York Minute today also, the hardcore NYM is going to be very rough.

jfkgoblue

They really aren't. People need to not use soft lock, or if using free aim, stop shooting them center mass. Those flak jackets take too much damage. Target heads, arms, and legs.

hmm so it is because I am using soft lock that they seem to take so many bullets? interesting, I guess I switch to free aim, Thanks

Sojgat

This game isn't hard at all, just lead blind fire from cover into an aimed shot, using soft lock or (*shudders*) hard lock and the game is stupid easy. This is part of my problem with the game, it's less effective to play it like a Max Payne game.

Edit: Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a better Max Payne Game than this.

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

heh, missed this, bite me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It just doesn't feel very much like Max Payne to me. The cover plus the euphoria floatyness makes it feel MUCH more like GTA4 than MP2. But I understand some people really liked how that felt. Max does not turn like a boat (like Niko), but Max almost glided in the old PC versions. It felt TOO GAMEY I guess

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It just doesn't feel very much like Max Payne to me. The cover plus the euphoria floatyness makes it feel MUCH more like GTA4 than MP2. But I understand some people really liked how that felt. Max does not turn like a boat (like Nikko), but Max almost glided in the old PC versions. It felt TOO GAMEY I guess

What settings are you using for the aiming? It felt kind of clunky and slow to me at first but after I adjusted it a bit (all three options at 9 and free aim) the game feels perfect.

It just doesn't feel very much like Max Payne to me. The cover plus the euphoria floatyness makes it feel MUCH more like GTA4 than MP2. But I understand some people really liked how that felt. Max does not turn like a boat (like Niko), but Max almost glided in the old PC versions. It felt TOO GAMEY I guess

If people came into this expecting Max to control as weightlessly as he did in MP2, it's easy to see why you'd be disappointed. That was never going to happen.

soultron

Banned
If people came into this expecting Max to control as weightlessly as he did in MP3, it's easy to see why you'd be disappointed. That was never going to happen.

I think it would be a very disjointed experience if Eurphoria was applied heavily to enemies but not to Max. For him to be overly nimble and not have great transitional animations that really express weight, it'd look funny, in my opinion.

The game definitely shines in larger, more open areas where there's plenty of room to move about and shootdodge like mad. The final chapter's
middle location
is great for this reason.

Ilive1up

just finished chapter 5 and have been having a lot of fun.

it's the most fun i've had shooting things in video games in a long, long time. it just feels amazing to shoot-dodge and knock off 4 enemies while still in mid jump. the enemy reactions to getting shot is almost too realistic.

fun times.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to fucking join a multiplayer game and it's telling me "INCOMPATIBLE DATA" wtf that mean? Fuck this game.

People having problem with the difficulty need to utilize the tools given to them. Activate bullet time while behind cover, shoot head, rinse, repeat. Easy.

No kidding it's boring, but it's what you have to do at times when the game get's hard. This is in extreme situations, by the way. This is not an indication of how the whole game is.

leng jai

I have to say I am disappointed in how the guns sound in this game. Was expecting far more oomph to be honest. RDR was a lot better in this regard. Having said that, I've not actually got that many different weapons yet.

hmm so it is because I am using soft lock that they seem to take so many bullets? interesting, I guess I switch to free aim, Thanks

Yeah. Soft Lock gravitates the reticule to center mass, which unfortunately for you, is covered by a flak jacket but the CP and UPE enemies. Free Aim is the best targeting system.

I love the Chapter Select in this game. You can pick so many places from where to start from in the game.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah. Soft Lock gravitates the reticule to center mass, which unfortunately for you, is covered by a flak jacket but the CP and UPE enemies. Free Aim is the best targeting system.

I love the Chapter Select in this game. You can pick so many places from where to start from in the game.

They should have done this for soft lock, half squeeze of the LT to soft lock on foes, full squeeze for free aim. Would have made it a lot easier to acquire targets easily.

I have to say I am disappointed in how the guns sound in this game. Was expecting far more oomph to be honest. RDR was a lot better in this regard. Having said that, I've not actually got that many different weapons yet.

Yeah the guns don't have the sharp pop they should have indoors, nor do they have the Michael Mann-esque echo you would expect outdoors. But that's a complaint I have with nearly every shooter. They feel beastly though which makes up for it.

soultron

Banned
They should have done this for soft lock, half squeeze of the LT to soft lock on foes, full squeeze for free aim. Would have made it a lot easier to acquire targets easily.

But you'd never be able to explain this to new players. You could do this, and in theory, it sounds great, but it's too much to ask of a new player. There are going to be tonnes of new players with this game (who've never played a Max Payne game) so they've made the decision to make it easy to target dudes unless you have the built-in GAMER KNOWLEDGE required to adjust things in an options menu.

To be honest, I still find myself holding LT when I'm in mid-shootdodge sometimes. It's hilarious.

Top Bottom