• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

soultron

Banned
I tried the MP last night a bit. What I played was fun, though I still need to get used to all the little BURST systems and other intricacies, but I want to play through the SP again.

I don`t think I`ve ever been able to say that in a game that has good MP and SP.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
AHHHHHHH!

This last fight. lol holy shit I'm terrible. One question that someone can answer with a y/n... do I have to
kill everyone before the plane takes off
? I had it under control and then the
plane starts to taxi onto the runway
and I panicked! I left cover and
tried to chase it down
but got killed in the process.

That was my shot and I screwed it up, I think. I think I should have just held my ground.... lol.

8 chapters down and this is already my favorite shooter campaign of the generation. Just brilliant. The shootouts in the last few chapters have been so intense.

And I don't understand the bullet sponge complaints at ALL. The enemies in this game are so reactive to your shots and anyone with good aim should have absolutely no problem. I swear to God this world is backwards when I constantly read that complaint about this game while Uncharted 3 prances around with legitimate bullet sponges and never gets criticized for it.

Another thing I love with the shooting that is different from other shooters is the hit detection with euphoria. I think about not just getting headshots right away, but maybe shooting one dude in the leg to take him down for a shot period of time as a move towards other enemies. Or maybe do that to the last enemy in a room, then walk up close for a sweet execution kill. Also shooting the gun out of the hands of a guy is awesome. Don't know if this happened to anyone else, but after defeating an entire room full of enemies there was one guy left. I shot the gun out of his hand and he gave up. He walked out from cover with his hands up in the air, got down on his knees and was begging in Portuguese. Of course.....I executed him.

I also agree with your Uncharted statement. I was thinking the same thing when watching the Gametrailers review for Max Payne 3.

Installing now.

393512.gif

MMaRsu

I'm on chapter 10 now HOLY FUCK this game is good

The story is pretty much what I thought it was going to be going by my initial thoughts a few chapters back :p. Not predictable though, just by piecing clues together and the way some people act you can predict a few things.

But HOLY SHIT this game is soooooooooooo good oh man Im gonna replay this for years and years to come just like MP2 <3. Some annoyances but eh..

Man what the fuck I fell through brazil. I'm in chapter IX and I got into some open street with different paths and Max stumbled and fell through. I hit start to try to restart checkpoint and it stuck on an orange screen.

Also anyone playing this with surround sound? I don't quite get the setup. I have my PS3 audio hooked up via HDMI to a receiver. The receiver then outputs sounds from the HDMI to the receiver through the SPDIF connection. In game in the audio settings It's on "surround side" but then it seems most of the sounds is behind me. Gunsounds,sounds of gunfire no matter if it's in front of me comes out through the back it seems. The center speakers work for talking and other in game sounds. Is it supposed to be like that?

soultron

Banned
Man what the fuck I fell through brazil. I'm in chapter IX and I got into some open street with different paths and Max stumbled and fell through. I hit start to try to restart checkpoint and it stuck on an orange screen.

After the grocery store, correct? I had this problem too, orange screen and everything you described. Dashboarded out (on 360, don't have the 2nd disc installed though) and restarted, had no problem. It seemed like it was a scripting error because a cutscene actually loads when you go into the grocery store.

Evolved1

BEAT IT!!! Woo Hoo!

Yeah... um... most enjoyable game of the gen imo. Will play this over a million times.

Arcteryx

Also anyone playing this with surround sound? I don't quite get the setup. I have my PS3 audio hooked up via HDMI to a receiver. The receiver then outputs sounds from the HDMI to the receiver through the SPDIF connection. In game in the audio settings It's on "surround side" but then it seems most of the sounds is behind me. Gunsounds,sounds of gunfire no matter if it's in front of me comes out through the back it seems. The center speakers work for talking and other in game sounds. Is it supposed to be like that?

Fuck that orange screen.

Same thing happened to me on Chapter 6

Mechazawa

AHHHHHHH!

This last fight. lol holy shit I'm terrible. One question that someone can answer with a y/n... do I have to
kill everyone before the plane takes off
? I had it under control and then the
plane starts to taxi onto the runway
and I panicked! I left cover and
tried to chase it down
but got killed in the process.

That was my shot and I screwed it up, I think. I think I should have just held my ground.... lol.

During that fight, just focus on staying alive and killing as many enemies as possible and not much else.

Has anyone attempted to DL the soundtrack yet?

My Mini-Max is awesome. I know people were complaining about the build, but now that I have the statue here, it looks badass.

I have an idea for another Max game. Spoilers!

The continuing adventures of Max Payne and Da Silva! It'd be like a buddy cop comedy, except horribly downbeat and darkly funny. Da Silva gets promoted to Interpol, and these two go around the world offing horrible criminals. It could be an episodic release type thing! Rockstar, call me. We could have a Lethal Weapon esque hit on our hands.

After the grocery store, correct? I had this problem too, orange screen and everything you described. Dashboarded out (on 360, don't have the 2nd disc installed though) and restarted, had no problem. It seemed like it was a scripting error because a cutscene actually loads when you go into the grocery store.

Yup after the third time I went inside the store the cut-scene loaded. weird.

Stat!

Damn, I'm not so good at MP and can barely get above a 1 K/D ratio. Any tips?

Any Gaffers want to get together tonight and maybe play some gangwars or something?

Sidzed2

Just beat Chapter 6; holy crap that was incredible. I was feeling mixed on the game up until this chapter, but my god it just clicked. Just wish the cover system was a tiny bit slicker. It sucks that you can't slide into cover or move around corners.

I wish I could say that I'm enjoying it as much as most others in here, but I'm not. It's great in spots, but I find myself more frustrated and bored with these last couple of chapters; it's getting repetitive with the swarms of enemies coming out of the woodwork, the shitty checkpoints, and the cheap one shot kills by enemies you don't even see half the time. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Hard, but this shit is more grueling than fun at this point, and it's turned into a pure cover shooter. Controlling Max isn't as fluid as it should be, I'm surprised to see people praising that aspect. He is clunky, especially coming out of cover, and getting up after a Last Man Standing is just straight up ridiculous. The middle portion of the game is definitely the high point, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. If it wasn't so fun to shoot people and watch their reactions, I might have stopped playing it; at least it's fun as hell.

Would you agree that an accurate assessment of the reception in here kinda boils down to:

> people who loved/have a special affinity with the previous MPs = HOLYFUCKBULLETS. BEST GAME EVER.
> people who are coming in completely fresh = cool game, but not without its flaws and maybe a tad overhyped.

After all, that would only make sense.

EDIT:

Just beat Chapter 6; holy crap that was incredible. I was feeling mixed on the game up until this chapter, but my god it just clicked. Just wish the cover system was a tiny bit slicker. It sucks that you can't slide into cover or move around corners.

Tell me about it. This is a bit of a fuckup on Rockstar's part.

Evolved1

I wish I could say that I'm enjoying it as much as most others in here, but I'm not. It's great in spots, but I find myself more frustrated and bored with these last couple of chapters; it's getting repetitive with the swarms of enemies coming out of the woodwork, the shitty checkpoints, and the cheap one shot kills by enemies you don't even see half the time. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Hard, but this shit is more grueling than fun at this point, and it's turned into a pure cover shooter. Controlling Max isn't as fluid as it should be, I'm surprised to see people praising that aspect. He is clunky, especially coming out of cover, and getting up after a Last Man Standing is just straight up ridiculous. The middle portion of the game is definitely the high point, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. If it wasn't so fun to shoot people and watch their reactions, I might have stopped playing it; at least it's fun as hell.

You probably should have played on normal first.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Would you agree that an accurate assessment of the reception in here kinda boils down to:
> people who loved/have a special affinity with the previous MPs = HOLYFUCKBULLETS. BEST GAME EVER.
> people who are coming in completely fresh = cool game, but not without its flaws and maybe a tad overhyped.

If anything it's the opposite.

Sidzed2

I don't think that's necessarily a true reflection of the impressions in the thread. Just like any game, one's mileage will vary.

I played on Medium first, I avoided most frustrations.

Help! I'm in the
bus depot level, I've killed everyone in the room (this is the one where you start up high and there are soldiers patrolling beneath you.) I kill them all but I can hear one of them, somewhere. If I leave the room I fail because I left the girl behind
. I think my game is glitched. Am I missing something?

Really getting frustrated.

Edit: as if my magic the third time through it worked. Thanks Rockstar

GeoramA

Those are two mind-boggling omissions. I guess not sliding into cover makes sense since Max is no spring chicken, but not being able to move around corners is just wrong for a game with a cover system.

Help! I'm in the
bus depot level, I've killed everyone in the room (this is the one where you start up high and there are soldiers patrolling beneath you.) I kill them all but I can hear one of them, somewhere. If I leave the room I fail because I left the girl behind
. I think my game is glitched. Am I missing something?

Really getting frustrated.

Did you check that tiny room in the corner with the windows? Occasionally there's someone there. Or under the bus. Though if you shot the controls, he woulda gotten smashed into paste.

Did you check that tiny room in the corner with the windows? Occasionally there's someone there. Or under the bus. Though if you shot the controls, he woulda gotten smashed into paste.
Nah this bus is already on the ground, it's after that part. I can only assume it was glitched. I went around and around the room multiple times and it wasn't that big to begin with. Oh well

Stopped at Chapter 13. Ive clocked in close to 20 hours so far but its because Ive been playing half cut every day on Hard mode with Free Aim and searching for all clues and golden gun pieces. So good.

Man.......this games biggest flaw is not being able to skip cut-scenes. Surely the game doesn&#8217;t take that long to load?

They just seem to go on and on and multiple play throughs are gonna be a bitch. Patch that shit Rockstar! PATCH IT!

Can anyone let me know if there's any way to get Max Payne 2 to run at 2560x1400? I'm so tempted to reinstall before I play MP3, but I'd like to know if it'll look fine if I do replay it.

Just finished it. A very fun, but flawed, game, with some of the best hit reactions this gen. The real star of the show is Euphoria to me; best use of it to date. Probably the best soundtrack for a videogame I've ever heard; totally mood setting. Michael Mann eat your heart out. While I can't label it as a genre-defining game, I can appreciate the care and technical skill on display here, and Max is one of the most likeable sociopaths out there.

From the Newswire:

As for the soundtrack download for Special Edition'ers - our apologies, but looks like it'll be tomorrow for the final files on that. As a token of our gratitude for your patience though, we are adding bonus tracks to the free download including "TEARS" by HEALTH which was originally planned as an iTunes exclusive. Thanks for hanging tight.

eX5ps.gif

As for the soundtrack download for Special Edition'ers - our apologies, but looks like it'll be tomorrow for the final files on that. As a token of our gratitude for your patience though, we are adding bonus tracks to the free download including "TEARS" by HEALTH which was originally planned as an iTunes exclusive. Thanks for hanging tight.

jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif

It's actually kinda shocking that "Tears" isn't on the soundtrack to begin with..it's the theme song of the game to me. Much like "Last Goodbye" is to MP2.

Sojgat

Hey, does everyone remeber their reaction when they saw those first screenshots of MaxPayne 3? Didn't you think to yourself "this doesn't look like Max Payne at all, this game will be garbage"? Well guess what, you were right. I am just going to come straight out and say that I hate this game. Max Payne 2 is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, but Rockstar's first homegrown installment to the franchise is a trainwreck, that I feel already has far too many in denial apologists.

First of all my worst fear has been confirmed, underneath all their stylised cutscenes and highly detailed worlds Rockstar could not craft a mechanically sound, fun gameplay experience to save their lives. How many of these words would you have used to describe Max Payne prior to this game; lumbering, fat, slow, clumsy, whiny, sluggish, unreponsive? Rockstar has managed to integrate yet another of their broken cover systems into a game that didn't need it in the first place, and the number of on rails sequences where you are locked to cover or behind the scope of a sniper rifle is laughable. Even worse as are all the encounters tailored to the use of COD style snap to aiming mechaincs (over which you have so much custimization that it's clear that the devs couldn't find a system that worked, to the point where there are actually seperate playlists for them in the multiplayer).

The over stylisation of the cutscenes (which reach a Kojima level of overindulgence and frequency) is awful. Sam Houser or somebody at Rockstar seems to have really loved Tony Scott's version of Man on Fire, and have co-opted all that films annoying visual flourishes, in the service of making the game torture to watch. The exaggerated GTA style characterization of all the characters is ill-suited to the the world of Max Payne, and in my opinion has just become tired in general. This game is one of the biggest disappointments this gen, and over time I guarantee this will be the prevailing assessment.

If Max Payne 3 was a question, the answer would be no.

soultron

Banned
^^Angrier Fork

This game's cutscenes are so bad. How did this come from Rockstar?

Matter of taste, right? I love them. I feel it's used to stylize and emphasize the feeling of being under the effects of booze/pills like Max is, most of the time. I like the timing on most of the effects too, they seem to really punctuate what's happening on-screen or when something specific is said. I also feel like the on-screen text "call-outs" act as a device for emphasis like bolding does in comic book writing.

That's me rationalising it, at least. Definitely a fan. It's funny though, because I absolutely loathe stuff like JJ Abrams' use of lense flairs and stuff like that. I find those sorts of touches obscure what you're supposed to be seeing; more of a reductive touch than an additive one, in my opinion.

It's certainly over-indulgent, but I feel it fits the context and character.

Matter of taste, right? I love them. I feel it's used to stylize and emphasize the feeling of being under the effects of booze/pills like Max is, most of the time. I like the timing on most of the effects too, they seem to really punctuate what's happening on-screen or when something specific is said. I also feel like the on-screen text "call-outs" act as a device for emphasis like bolding does in comic book writing.

That's me rationalising it, at least. Definitely a fan. It's funny though, because I absolutely loathe stuff like JJ Abram's use of lense flairs and stuff like that. I find those sorts of touches obscure what you're supposed to be seeing; more of a reductive touch than an additive one, in my opinion.

I'm with you. I love the visual style. It really pops and gets the hazy disorientation across to me.

I wonder if Sojgat played without changing the settings and stuff. I could imagine some of those control issues would nag at me if I hadn't tweaked the settings and set it to Free Aim.

Sojgat

I wonder if Sojgat played without changing the settings and stuff. I could imagine some of those control issues would nag at me if I hadn't tweaked the settings and set it to Free Aim.

I messed with them constantly throughout my entire playthrough, this game gave me sore thumbs. :(

soultron

Banned
I'm with you. I love the visual style. It really pops and gets the hazy disorientation across to me.

He's right about it suffering a bit of an identity crisis when speaking directly to the targeting. People who play with Soft/Hard Lock (and even the Target Tracking Assists that are tucked away in the options menu) are going to think the enemies are bullet-sponges because the game is doing the aiming for you.

Sidzed2

Gotta agree, 7 for horizontal and vertical, and 6 for acceleration feel The most right for me. Obviously with all assists off and free aim.

Ridley327

This game's cutscenes are so bad. How did this come from Rockstar?

I know people are wanting to compare this to a Michael Mann film, but it honestly feels more like a Tony Scott film, right down to the nonsensical cinematic direction.

Splitscreens for everything!

Random words subtitled!

Screen distortion effects up the wazoo!

No one should be aping Tony Scott.

That said, James McCaffery goes a long way in making them bearable.

I messed with them constantly throughout my entire playthrough, this game gave me sore thumbs. :(

Methinks you're gripping the controller too tightly. Chill out, bro. :p

My settings are 6/6/9, free aim, all assists turned off, and it feels so good. The aiming complaints are mind boggling to me.

Jharp

I really hate getting mad at games for being hard on hard, but this is getting pretty fucking stupid. Like unfair, not balanced for hard shit. What the goddamn fuck?

Top Bottom