• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Just finished.....

HOLY CRAP

The last few chapters are pretty crazy. I never ran into any glitches, and only really had 1 checkpoint I would call "bad." There were also 2 encounters I really didn't like that were reminiscent of stuff you'd see in Uncharted, but instant checkpoints and extra painkillers allows you to brute force them after a few tries. Almost everything else was really, really fun though, especially the shootouts in
the police station
. The OST really kicked into AMAZING during the 2nd half of the game too. HEALTH brought it.

Most fun I've had with the mechanics of a singleplayer shooter in years.

MMaRsu

Omg im at the last chapter just did the part where that bit from the ost plays wow that shit was genius and i did it without dying with two painkillers and not even using cover once! Shit was fucking LEGENDARY

Gravijah

up to chapter 4 and i'm really loving this game.

but damn, i'm dying more often than i did in mp1 it feels like. thankfully it's a modern game with checkpoints every 5 steps.

up to chapter 4 and i'm really loving this game.

but damn, i'm dying more often than i did in mp1 it feels like. thankfully it's a modern game with checkpoints every 5 steps.

keep that head up my man, you have NO idea what is in store for you regarding the checkpoints in later chapters.

Gravijah

oh, another thing i forgot to mention: the bullet time "final kill" thing is satisfying as hell. i end up pumping a few extra rounds into people just to see it.
keep that head up my man, you have NO idea what is in store for you regarding the checkpoints in later chapters.

haha, shiiiit. looking forward to it.

Quikies83

Just finished the campaign and wow -- that was fucking awesome. I'll definitely play through that again.
And on a multiplayer note -- i'm no longer getting the PS3 lockup when trying to join a session -- i'm now getting a "Alert you have been disconnected due to networking problems"... I haven't been able to play a SINGLE multiplayer match... really, really fucking sucks. Praying for a patch.

Angry Fork

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A SPIN-OFF IS!

is all I take away from your Max Payne posts at this point. But you know what, imagine it this way. This is an alternate universe where everything is the same until this point. So Remedy's universe is different, and R*'s universe is different, and right now, we're in an alternate universe where Max happens to leave New York City and trouble still follows him.

I hope that when you get the game, and play the game, you can at least enjoy it on a technical level. The combat is sheer fun.

God, a re-imagining is like Chris Nolan's Batman movies. This isn't like that.

Dude, you need to find a better term than 'Reboot/Reimagination/Spin-off', cause those terms don't work here.

Just consider it discontinuity canon and enjoy it. It tells a good story and plays well.

Or, I got an idea! The bullet that Max took to the dome at the end of Max Payne 2 caused a clot, he collapsed of a brain aneurism, and this game is his dying dream. Would that work for you?

I mainly say spin off as a sort of troll/dig at the game, I know it's meant as a real sequel. I just hate massive changes to games to appeal to 'new' audiences. Based on the posts in here the nightmare stuff from the past games are gone, no levels like the carnival one in MP2, there doesn't seem to be any tense or creepy levels like the hospital in MP2. So much cool stuff was taken out and replaced by 30 bullet sponge enemies apparently just so you can see how they react to bullets. I would really much rather have the nightmare stuff and dreary atmosphere. They should have Michael Mann stuff in GTA games instead of infecting Max Payne with Die Hard shit.

I already consider this game non-canonical and I'm sure I'll enjoy it from a technical standpoint but because there are so many normal shooters out there it pisses me off that Rockstar has to taint Max Payne to milk it for a 'new generation' or w/e bullshit line developers say now. 'WE WANT TO PLEASE THE OLD FANS BUT ALSO OFFER SOMETHING NEW LOL' then you get the game and it's 90% "new" (copied off of Gears/Uncharted) and 10% old fan service.

I'll stop moaning though, people love Rockstar and got the game they wanted I guess. It'll sell a truck load and everyone will praise Rockstar as gaming gods while Remedy can barely get the green light to make what they want. But for me I feel the same as how Silent Hill fans feel about everything after 2/3.

Another thing, after wrapping the game up today, I have no idea how people are calling this a "cover shooter." There were at least 5 major encounters in the last hour or 2 where you'd get absolutely DECIMATED if you stayed behind cover and tried to pop heads. Activating bullet time + run and gun was my go to offense or I'd get swarmed/overwhelmed behind cover. Bullet time + strafing makes you almost untouchable. I was also still diving all over the place. IDK how some people were playing the game to call it a cover shooter. There WERE places where cover was the best option, but they were outnumbered by run + gun IMO.

MattDoza

Yeah, if you shoot dodge or go into last man standing, and you're near cover on the ground, if you push your cover button(depending on the control scheme you're using) he'll stand up and go right into cover.

saunderez

Another thing, after wrapping the game up today, I have no idea how people are calling this a "cover shooter." There were at least 5 major encounters in the last hour or 2 where you'd get absolute DECIMATED if you stayed behind cover and tried to pop heads.

And there's just as many instances later on in the game where you'll be massacred if you just run into a room with Bullet Time activated. The game requires a balanced approach, anyone trying to take either of "only Bullet Time" or "only Cover" routes is going to have a very difficult time.

Ultima_5

Beat SP today... Getting into MP a bit tonight... can anyone explain the crew thing, and/or how to get into the neogaf one? I need to gaffers to play with

And there's just as many instances later on in the game where you'll be massacred if you just run into a room with Bullet Time activated. The game requires a balanced approach, anyone trying to take either of "only Bullet Time" or "only Cover" routes is going to have a very difficult time.

Only when you don't know where the enemies are. Once you replay a section for whatever reason, bullet time is almost always the better option. You WILL be hit if you shoot from cover, but you can get through sections unscathed with run + gun. Hell, many times I'd restart a checkpoint just to test it, and 9 times out of 10, the "crazy Max" run would result in a more successful shootout.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok I'm curious for the people who have beat hard, what are your stats on time in cover?

TIME SPENT IN COVER: 02:27:51.348

KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING: 208

I'm mainly interested in comparing those two stats.

Fjordson

I mainly say spin off as a sort of troll/dig at the game, I know it's meant as a real sequel. I just hate massive changes to games to appeal to 'new' audiences. Based on the posts in here the nightmare stuff from the past games are gone, no levels like the carnival one in MP2, there doesn't seem to be any tense or creepy levels like the hospital in MP2. So much cool stuff was taken out and replaced by 30 bullet sponge enemies apparently just so you can see how they react to bullets. I would really much rather have the nightmare stuff and dreary atmosphere. They should have Michael Mann stuff in GTA games instead of infecting Max Payne with Die Hard shit.

I already consider this game non-canonical and I'm sure I'll enjoy it from a technical standpoint but because there are so many normal shooters out there it pisses me off that Rockstar has to taint Max Payne to milk it for a 'new generation' or w/e bullshit line developers say now. 'WE WANT TO PLEASE THE OLD FANS BUT ALSO OFFER SOMETHING NEW LOL' then you get the game and it's 90% "new" (copied off of Gears/Uncharted) and 10% old fan service.

I'll stop moaning though, people love Rockstar and got the game they wanted I guess. It'll sell a truck load and everyone will praise Rockstar as gaming gods while Remedy can barely get the green light to make what they want. But for me I feel the same as how Silent Hill fans feel about everything after 2/3.
I think this is a high quality shooter that R* clearly put a lot of effort into so some of your comments are really selling the game short.

But I also understand why you aren't into it because of where Rockstar took it creatively. It is very, very different from Remedy's vision and obviously not everyone will be into their style. And to be fair, I'd actually say that I feel less connected to the setting here than I did in the first two games, or even as much as in other Rockstar games.

Remedy and R* actually remind me of each other in a lot of ways. Obviously the open world thing is the main difference, but they both know how to craft believe and highly detailed worlds that add a lot to their work. Few settings in gaming are more memorable for me than somewhere like Vice City or Bright Falls or Max Payne's New York or Red Dead's old west.

That's the one thing that I don't feel is as strong as MP 1 and 2. Like I said before, the first half of the game feels a bit too much like Uncharted for me. The levels don't really feel interconnected and don't come together as cohesively as Remedy or Rockstar's other settings.

Absolutely brilliant game but Rockstar needs to work on the blending between character behavior. Whenever you shootdodge or roll to a cover, the animation needs to be completed before snapping to a cover, he stands up for a half second then goes into cover. Games like AC and Uncharted mastered that, so a big company like Rockstar should also investigate this.

Later on in the game, it's incredibly hard so that half-second can mean life or death.

soultron

Banned
Seriously, can we drop the bullet sponge myth already?

If you're not playing with training wheels on, the enemies drop quickly when they're not wearing armour.

Grisby

Urg, been getting clipped by dudes I don't even see. The last man stand thing can suck sometimes.

Got shot through a wall a minute ago, ha.

Anybody got any tips for MP? I'm using 5, 5, 6 on the aiming but don't always fare too well on open maps where people dance around while filling me with lead.

Is aiming 'from the hip' a good idea for close combat (but not close enough for melee)?

(Playing free aim btw).

MMaRsu

Just finished the campaign...what a brilliant game. Replay worthy? Hell yes. One of the best tps games since the originals.

Ridley327

Anybody got any tips for MP? I'm using 5, 5, 6 on the aiming but don't always fare too well on open maps where people dance around while filling me with lead.

Is aiming 'from the hip' a good idea for close combat (but not close enough for melee)?

(Playing free aim btw).

I'd say so; you'd only want to aim down the sights if they're far away.

(Playing free aim btw).

You almost ALWAYS want to aim from the hip, especially with the shootguns and one hand weapons. I roll with one or dual wield pistols and almost never hard aim.

And this OST is pretty amazing. Rockstar is really underrated in terms of music. Bully, Red Dead, and probaly MP3 are in my top 10 all time game soundtracks.

Ridley327

I have to say that my fears about the final level being an ordeal were unfounded, as I was amazed at how well they handled the escalation of the scenarios and the trial-and-error bullshit was kept at a minimum. It's basically the kind of progression that I wished all of the other levels had.

Speaking of ordeals, how about those credits?

I'd say so; you'd only want to aim down the sights if they're far away.

You almost ALWAYS want to aim from the hip, especially with the shootguns and one hand weapons. I roll with one or dual wield pistols and almost never hard aim.

And this OST is pretty amazing. Rockstar is really underrated in terms of music. Bully, Red Dead, and probaly MP3 are in my top 10 all time game soundtracks.

Will tone the sensitivity down and stick to hip, thanks.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

You really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. I hope you're honest enough to eat crow when you actually do play the game.

Hey dude, how about you write your review right now!

Lima

Ok I'm curious for the people who have beat hard, what are your stats on time in cover?

TIME SPENT IN COVER: 02:27:51.348

KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING: 208

I'm mainly interested in comparing those two stats.

TIME SPENT IN COVER: 01:41:42.146

KILLS WHILE SHOOT DODGING: 528

Angry Fork

You really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. I hope your honest enough to eat crow when you actually do play the game.

Hey dude, how about you write your review right now!

I already said I based everything on posts in this thread from people who have played the game so if you're mad take it up with them.

edit - People who don't agree with my posts still admit the game is different than MP1/2 substantially despite sharing the gameplay. All I've said since MP3 was first announced is that I care more about everything else over gameplay. Gameplay is just a side extra to me in Max Payne everything else (story, characters, atmosphere, sound design etc.) matter much more to me. Everyone in this thread has praised the gameplay and set pieces which is exactly what I said I don't really care about so it's not surprising if I don't like the change in direction.

Evolved1

I already said I based everything on posts in this thread from people who have played the game so if you're mad take it up with them.

I'm not mad at you. I just think your posts are dumb. (and worse, inaccurate... but hey let's not let facts get in the way)

MMaRsu

Lol angry fork just play it jeez. Im a die hard max payne fan and this game is great. By the way i played on normal and only spent 58 minutes in cover:)

Raziel

I'm giving up on the game. I can manage the controls OK I guess, but then I realized I'm really just putting up with/tolerating them instead of enjoying them, sort of like when I play the new GTAs. There are just too many other good games with good controls to spend much more time with this one, for me. This game made me hate aiming, and if I finished it, it would have made me hate shooters for at least a year. Cool music though (what little I heard before I quit).

Track 12 on the OST is some straight John Carpenter-esque. One of the real standout tracks when I heard it in-game.

MAX: PANAMA
is fantastic too. I didn't want to move in fear that the track would stop playing. Would fit perfectly on the DRIVE soundtrack.

cackhyena

edit - People who don't agree with my posts still admit the game is different than MP1/2 substantially despite sharing the gameplay. All I've said since MP3 was first announced is that I care more about everything else over gameplay. Gameplay is just a side extra to me in Max Payne everything else (story, characters, atmosphere, sound design etc.) matter much more to me. Everyone in this thread has praised the gameplay and set pieces which is exactly what I said I don't really care about so it's not surprising if I don't like the change in direction.

I'm genuinely astounded that someone can have such an absurd stance. Jesus.

Evolved1

Dude, look at his avatar. Everything he says really does make sense in that regard. Poor bastard.

Man Ive been playing this game way too long.

I've read his posts for years and don't think he is actually dumb. Just the posts in this thread (where he tries to characterize a game he has clearly not played -- this demonstrated by the frequent mischaracterization) are pretty dumb.

One thing to have an opinion about whatever R* might have done with the game, and how that might not fall in line with expectation, but it's just retarded to make statements about something based only on second hand impressions, from folks in a thread full of varied impressions, and cherrypicking the negative shit to confirm your preconceptions.

It's not logical, or productive. It's kinda dumb.

Angry Fork

Lol angry fork just play it jeez. Im a die hard max payne fan and this game is great. By the way i played on normal and only spent 58 minutes in cover:)

I have to wait for the PC version because PC gamers are considered sub human this gen.

I'm genuinely astounded that someone can have such an absurd stance. Jesus.

Not with all games, just certain franchises. Silent Hill and Max Payne are 2 of them where gameplay is a nice extra but everything else that surrounds the gameplay matters a lot more to me and is what keeps me loving the games. I re-play MP1/2 a few times per year not because of bullet time but because I want to re-immerse myself in that world every so often.

I've read his posts for years and don't think he is actually dumb. Just the posts in this thread (where he tries to characterize a game he has clearly not played -- this demonstrated by the frequent mischaracterization) are pretty dumb.

One thing to have an opinion about whatever R* might have done with the game, and how that might not fall in line with expectation, but it's just retarded to make statements about something based only on second hand impressions, from folks in a thread full of varied impressions, and cherrypicking the negative shit to confirm your preconceptions.

It's not logical, or productive. It's kinda dumb.

I'll admit I do this, a part of me does want to hate on the game because I know it's not made by Remedy. But there's a side that wants to like it since it's a sequel. Still there are lots of red flags in here that confirm my suspicions about what Rockstar was going to do with the game.

Simo

...the credits have rolled and I'm done!

Wow....I think I can only muster that up for now but, wow. I will say that after waiting over 4 years since the game was announced and revealed and then of course a total of 9 years since Max Payne 2 that Max Payne 3 delivered in spades.

Playing through my first time on hard with free aim. It feels like the only way to play Max Payne but man is it tough on a controller with this clunky Rockstar engine. Online is alright but a lot like Saints Row, hoping Ghost Recon is better because multiplayer I need something to play this summer.

impact

Banned
So surprised this multi is this fun. I was expecting some throwaway lazy shit like Uncharted multi but this game is so fun in gang wars.

Evolved1

This game, imo, is hard as shit on hard. Really hard. Like, normal was a cake walk compared to this.

Why? Because they are so stingy with bullettime. My entire style of play for the first time through isn't even possible in hard because it was so dependent on BT. Seems like I never start the fight with any... so the first few moments I'm stuck firing in real time against multiple enemies. And they tear you up pretty fast. You can shoot dodge, but that isn't always a good option.

Anyway... been pretty tough so far. I'm getting through it with less deaths than I did in medium, but I'm barely making it through the early sections. Scraping by. Which has me worried about the late game fights when BT was my saving grace.

Top Bottom