• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

soultron

Banned
Slightly-related: picked up K&L2 today for $5 brand new. Curious to see how it compares to MP3. I'm fairly appreciative of any game, so I think I should be able to have some fun with it. It was only $5, so I really can't complain.

I think I need to work my way through Hardcore and Old School in MP3 before I start K&L2 though. Gonna finish my Hard playthrough tonight after work. I got all the way to the middle of Chapter 7 in what felt like ~3-4 hours after starting from scratch last night. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How long does it take the Social Club to synch up the clues/golden guns? A bunch of mine seem to be missing although my other stats seem correct.

I'm pretty sure this game has to have one of the highest body counts I've ever had in a single playthrough. 1754 kills, 552 headshots, 846 kills in bullet time, and 228 while shot dodging.

iNvid02

just discovered the free gorilla warfare pack under playstation store store in the menu

also £19.99 for the season pass, jesus christ, i'll be passing on the pass

Lima

Slightly-related: picked up K&L2 today for $5 brand new. Curious to see how it compares to MP3.

Don't even try to compare the two. K&L2 sucks donkey balls. Such a bad game. I was sad because the first one was a really solid game.

The only good thing was that they introduced online co-op.

Also played the first two chapters in both hardcore and old school. Old school is really good. Classic max payne gameplay without cover use. It is a tad too easy albeit the difficulty being the same as hard. But you replenish bullet time by killing dudes and that way you spent most of your time in the safety of it.

Hardcore is just bullshit though. You die in like 2-3 shots and you get so little bullet time.

I do not look forward doing new york minute on hardcore. The game on hardcore difficulty, being under time pressure and when you die you have to start from chapter 1 again?

Fuck my life...

Raptomex

Don't even try to compare the two. K&L2 sucks donkey balls. Such a bad game. I was sad because the first one was a really solid game.

The only good thing was that they introduced online co-op.

Also played the first two chapters in both hardcore and old school. Old school is really good. Classic max payne gameplay without cover use. It is a tad too easy albeit the difficulty being the same as hard. But you replenish bullet time by killing dudes and that way you spent most of your time in the safety of it.

Hardcore is just bullshit though. You die in like 2-3 shots and you get so little bullet time.

I do not look forward doing new york minute on hardcore. The game on hardcore difficulty, being under time pressure and when you die you have to start from chapter 1 again?

Fuck my life...
??? Really?

Lima

Well one guy beat it already and it doesn't really take that long because this is a very short game if you skip the cutscenes. I will of course accept this challenge.

Raptomex

Well one guy beat it already and it doesn't really take that long because this is a very short game if you skip the cutscenes. I will of course accept this challenge.
Well yeah I'll give it a shot. Hell, I'll do it naked just to say I did.

Lima

So, Hardcore is the hardest difficulty, but it earns you the lowest achievement point value?

Yeah. Do it for the challenge itself, not the achievement.

NYMHC is probably the last thing you want to tackle. That is when you know the game inside out and know what awaits you behind every door.

Untracked

Played 2 hours of Multiplayer and had 4 really amazing games. These were followed by 10 games of us repeatedly getting our arses kicked and not being able to get a kill.
The only explanation I can think of is that we were matched against players on the other side of the world.
Does this game need regional matchmaking?
Anyone else having this trouble?

Raptomex

Yeah. Do it for the challenge itself, not the achievement.

NYMHC is probably the last thing you want to tackle. That is when you know the game inside out and know what awaits you behind every door.
In the most literal sense. You walk into a door and BAM 10 guys with guns pointed at you.

Can't you just press the back button to turn off the laser? I swear this was said before.

Yes. I'll say it again.

ATTENTION! IF YOU HATE THE LASERS ON THE RIFLES, JUST PRESS 'SELECT' OR 'BACK' TO TURN THEM OFF! YOU WILL GET THE REGULAR CROSS HAIR THEN! YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING FOR FLASHLIGHTS ON THE WEAPONS AND FIRE MODE!

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Raptomex

Yes. I'll say it again.

ATTENTION! IF YOU HATE THE LASERS ON THE RIFLES, JUST PRESS 'SELECT' OR 'BACK' TO TURN THEM OFF! YOU WILL GET THE REGULAR CROSS HAIR THEN! YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING FOR FLASHLIGHTS ON THE WEAPONS AND FIRE MODE!

THE MORE YOU KNOW
And I learned something today.

soultron

Banned

It'll never match expectations no matter how much you like it and there's the bullshit excuse/cognitive dissonance that comes from Remedy/Lake not being involved.

Play it and make up your own mind. You're curious, so give it a rent.

Some people say it's shit, some people (myself, NTGYK, etc.) love it but can admit it has faults. But it's not like MP1+MP2 didn't have faults either, even when they came out.

Again, just play it for yourself.

I think it's one of the best games of 2012, but that's just me, duder. Mind you, I'm still coming down from the hype high.

Lima

I would say so yeah. I'm a big fan of the first two (my desire to play this game was so great I couldn't hold out for the pc version) and it is just awesome.

There is nothing cooler than jumping out of cover and killing dudes with bullet time. No game that ever tried this before or after came close. It is sooo satisfying.

The story is well written and presented in a way that only Rockstar can pull off somehow. I didn't mind the flashing effects and words during the cutscenes because it reminded me of man on fire and I thought that was a brilliant action movie.

I still would have preferred the comic strips but what you get is not bad.

dreamfall

And finished. My GOODNESS. It was fucking brilliant!

Thoughts-
1. If you're expecting an evolution of gameplay from Remedy's titles, this is it. The shoot dodging mechanics on free aim take some tweaking/getting used to, but this is not the same auto-lock shooting mechanic as GTA/Red Dead (which I still love!). This is much more precise, and feels so god damn satisfying. Lining up several headshots before slamming into a wall feels like it hurts. And Max even takes damage from heavy distance dodges. The final bullet cam for the last enemy brings the gore presentation to a delightfully sadistic. It's rad!

2. Max's character evolution is very well written! Trust in those Houser brothers! If anything, they take Lake's character and put him through real hell. Some of the initial trappings of character like "saving the girl" soon get twisted into killing for real purpose. Brazil is perfect for that daytime noir- the inner monologues and cynical witty musings from McCaffrey are delivered to perfection.

3. Each shootout feels dynamic enough to warrant many playthroughs. I really enjoyed trying to play with the game's physics. Shootdodging over an entire flight of stairs, flying out of windows, dropping more than 20 feet in slow motion with "Tears" playing- one of the best moments of this year! The quick time events/ on-rails sections help break up the pace, and are infrequently awesome.

4. The soundtrack deserves more praise than anything. HEALTH really constructed a terrific score- at times it feels like Red Dead during the action, other times it builds up the suspense before bullet dodging in a ballet of sorts. Emicida's track plays at exactly the right transition. Each level feels completely unique, and the soundtrack matches this sentiment.

5. Multiplayer is not a tacked-on feature. Gang wars is pretty much all I've been playing and it is a chaotic, fun-filled frenzy. Shifting objectives, custom loadouts, team strategies, etc. McCaffrey's narration is such a nice touch! Character customization is robust and there is so much to unlock, it'll keep you wanting to play more.

It's been nine god damn years. And it was worth the wait. It is probably the best shooter I've played in years. I think some of the clunkiness that is off-putting for gamers concerning GTA isn't really present here. There are some problems with getting to cover/getting up occasionally but nothing I'd knock it for.

It's got me dreaming about the shooting mechanics for GTA V. We can only dream!

I picked this up for 360 yesterday because I couldnt wait for the PC release. Absolutely brilliant game so far but god damn I suck with a controller!

hlhbk

Well you guys have convinced me to try it. I am debating however if I should play through the first 2 games over the next 2 weekends to brush up on the story again since I haven't played the game in years, and get the PC version. I just hope that the PC port isn't absolute garbage like GTA 4 and LA Niore were.....

Does anyone else not go hog wild on the cinematic kill cam because you want to conserve ammo?

Not really, I very rarely run out of ammo... if I do, there's bound to be a corpse around somewhere.

I don't really go insane with the kill camera though, just a couple extra shots. Only near the end did I start doing some overkill.

Angry Fork

Seems like my fears about this game have come true based on posts in last few pages. I said it would be a good game but would throw away what made MP1/2 so special so the action junkies can have their fun. Still interested in playing it but I'm sad that Remedy will never get a shot at doing a real sequel. At least there's Alan Wake 2 eventually.

God, the
MAX: PANAMA
track is so good. One of the best in the game. I'm listening to it on the soundtrack right now... really, really good. It has this weird eerie synth quality to it, it's fantastic. Very mellow at the same time. I dunno, it's hard to describe, but it feels very 'Max'. Sorta sad, eerie, I love this track.

Did that chapter in the game remind anyone else of Die Hard, a little bit? I got a Die Hard vibe from it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seems like my fears about this game have come true based on posts in last few pages. I said it would be a good game but would throw away what made MP1/2 so special so the action junkies can have their fun. Still interested in playing it but I'm sad that Remedy will never get a shot at doing a real sequel. At least there's Alan Wake 2 eventually.

Your persistently negative posting is almost comical at this point having not played the game yourself.

MMaRsu

I think we all knew and can agree that a lot of stuff in the remedy games wouldnt make a return with rockstar at the helm but its still a good max payne game imo.

I will always be negative about this game because it claims to be a sequel and is more of a re-imagining spin off.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A SPIN-OFF IS!

is all I take away from your Max Payne posts at this point. But you know what, imagine it this way. This is an alternate universe where everything is the same until this point. So Remedy's universe is different, and R*'s universe is different, and right now, we're in an alternate universe where Max happens to leave New York City and trouble still follows him.

I hope that when you get the game, and play the game, you can at least enjoy it on a technical level. The combat is sheer fun.

God, a re-imagining is like Chris Nolan's Batman movies. This isn't like that.

Dude, you need to find a better term than 'Reboot/Reimagination/Spin-off', cause those terms don't work here.

Just consider it discontinuity canon and enjoy it. It tells a good story and plays well.

Or, I got an idea! The bullet that Max took to the dome at the end of Max Payne 2 caused a clot, he collapsed of a brain aneurism, and this game is his dying dream. Would that work for you?

Zabka

The soundtrack to this game is amazing. There was one, I think it was Chapter 11, that was just fantastic. Had a big smile on my face the entire level.

One thing bothered me though in the game. Is there a way to smoothly transition from the shoot dodge into cover? It's a bit annoying that Max always needs to stand up after the dive.

The soundtrack to this game is amazing. There was one, I think it was Chapter 11, that was just fantastic.

One thing bothered me though in the game. Is there a way to smoothly transition from the shoot dodge into cover? It's a bit annoying that Max always needs to stand up after the dive.

Yeah, this was one of my issues with the game as well. While I never got killed cause of it, it was annoying. Unfortunately, he will stand up for half a sec before getting in cover again. It's not bad if it's a pillar, but the low cover is not good. This was a mis-step.

Raptomex

The soundtrack to this game is amazing. There was one, I think it was Chapter 11, that was just fantastic.

I was wondering that myself. If I press (X: 360) right after the bullet time ends he'll get up and go into cover. I think. I'd have to try it again.

Top Bottom