• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood |OT| No purple markers

derFeef

agVifPy.png

a8v9SLq.png

Release Date: 20th December 2013
Developer: Press Play
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Platforms: Xbox One, Xbox 360 (later?)
Cost: 15 $/€

3JjLeFYl.jpg

When Max wishes for his annoying little brother, Felix, to be whisked away by unknown evil forces, he gets more than he bargained for.
Armed only with a marker and a hope of undoing what he has just done, he sets out on a perilous journey across deserts, eerie lantern-lit bogs,
ancient temples and lush green forests to get his younger sibling back.
Along the way Max gains the powers to manipulate his environment and overcome seemingly impossible obstacles.

Dr1dS5R.png

Announcement trailer
Gameplay trailer
Gameplay walkthrough (40min IGN)

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is a fantastical adventure. Max, equipped with his magical Magic Marker, will climb, fight and draw his way through a world of challenging physics-puzzles and frantic platforming.

uScbjVyl.jpg
Ovb4O1il.jpg

During his adventure, the Marker will gain more and more incredible powers that allow Max to manipulate and use the expansive environments to his advantage: Draw a tree into existence and use it as a bridge.
Pull a giant pillar of dirt out of the ground and use it to raise a boulder onto a platform. Create vines and use them to swing across gaping chasms.

These are just some of the tools at Max’ disposal as he struggles to rescue his kid brother from the clutches of the evil Mustacho – and he’ll need every one,
because Mustacho’s henchmen are after him and the very world itself is his enemy.

1F6zuRBl.jpg
CM8B5Shl.jpg

HM1ssv7.png

GameInformer: 6/10
Softpedia: 9/10
IGN: 6/10
OXM: 9/10
Gamesradar: 4.5/5

Caayn

No gifs :(

id6CSERhPkF6a.gif

ic0yx7V2Jz8qa.gif

iR5WA98aZLGwM.gif

ibkGVn7ipAp8Zi.gif

Also Max learns several different "drawning" powers during his journey. For example Rock, Water, Tree branches. Each of these has their own special ability/uses. Rocks are usually used as platforms while trees can be drawn in any shape/form and cut and pushed around like boulders. Trees can also be used a miniature trampoline at the edge of a branch.

JaggedSac

Seems like their main problem with the game is using the joystick to draw the stuff. Anyone here having those issues?

The game is indeed lovely, but even early on I can see a few issues... For the marker to work, either for drawing or destroying what you drew, you have to position it in a specific points, but quite often even though the tip of the marker is really close to said point, it won't register, so you have to move the cursor around until it does... So far it's not a major problem, but I can see this becoming more of an issue as the puzzles grow to require more timing...

But it's already showing potential, I can see the later puzzles being something really amazing!

sangreal

Seems like their main problem with the game is using the joystick to draw the stuff. Anyone here having those issues?

I haven't had any issues. If anything the game is too easy. I only have the rock and branch markers though so we'll see

e: I have the rope marker now too. No trouble yet

The game is indeed lovely, but even early on I can see a few issues... For the marker to work, either for drawing or destroying what you drew, you have to position it in a specific points, but quite often even though the tip of the marker is really close to said point, it won't register, so you have to move the cursor around until it does... So far it's not a major problem, but I can see this becoming more of an issue as the puzzles grow to require more timing...

But it's already showing potential, I can see the later puzzles being something really amazing!

have not had this problem either -- if I'm anywhere near one of the points it snaps the marker to it

My issues isn't about the actual drawing, but mostly due the fact that the drawing must start at a certain point.

If you could draw from anywhere it would be amazing (and would make potentially the puzzles more challenging, even though could break them too XD)

Edit: I just noticed that the marker actually snaps when you try to start painting, it's deleting the drawings that can get fuzzy.

Caayn

Not having any problem with drawing things.
My issues isn't about the actual drawing, but mostly due the fact that the drawing must start at a certain point.

If you could draw from anywhere it would be amazing (and would make potentially the puzzles more challenging, even though could break them too XD)
I don't think that drawing from anywhere, directly makes the puzzles harder. Try getting the secrets in every level and you'll be thinking how to draw to get there. It's easy in the beginning but it get's interesting when you're collecting the extra stuff.

I haven't had any issues. If anything the game is too easy. I only have the rock and branch markers though so we'll see

have not had this problem either -- if I'm anywhere near one of the points it snaps the marker to it

Yeah, I was wrong, for drawing it actually snaps, it's for erasing stuff that I'm getting a little trouble picking the exact point.

bryehn

Gameinformers review is bullshit (#salty). Seriously, a lovely game.

Seems pretty fair and unbiased to me. They thought the mechanic was tough to use in some spots and it reduced their enjoyment of the game. A lot of people said the same thing about the first game.

I downloaded this already, looking forward to checking it out tonight. It certainly looks nice.

Too bad that they didn't include Kinect drawing, maybe we'll see it patched in later.

Gowans

I posted this is the surprise release news thread but this game is just want I was after.

Fills a great genre niche, it's super cheap, 1080p and 60fps with fantastic IQ and I love the artstyle

I played the first few chapters and really dug it, looking forward to playing more tonight.

Not having any problem with drawing things.
I don't think that drawing from anywhere, directly makes the puzzles harder. Try getting the secrets in every level and you'll be thinking how to draw to get there. It's easy in the beginning but it get's interesting when you're collecting the extra stuff.

It could make them a little harder since you'd have no hints on what to do... But I'm not complaining yet about the game being too easy, I understand I'm in the beginning and it needs to have a build up.

You can hold "X" and swipe across the drawing that you want erased.

Oh, thank you for that, helped a lot!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great OT for such short notice.

Just bought it, going to check it out in a few mins.

It's arcade titles like this that make me question moving to PS4 for my next console. This looks incredible and MS's exclusive arcade titles really put the 360 over the top for me. Super Meat Boy, 1 vs. 100, Doritos Crash Course and Splosion Man were some of the best games I've played all gen. The offerings on the PS3 that interested me were few and far between. Now it looks like the XB1 is continuing the trend with games like this. This just looks so damn good.

wut do?

Xander51

I'm going to pick this up later today, it looks wonderful. It's cool to see what the Unity engine can do on the Xbox One.

Netprints

I will be buying this game when I get home. I am surprised it came out this soon. I know they showed it off at E3 but I haven't heard much about it till now. Should be a wonderful game.

Top Bottom