• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood |OT| No purple markers

Caayn

This game is amazing. Just started with chapter 3, and all I will say is that this chapter really puts the lighting engine to work. Each chapter is completely different from the previous.

I will not buy this, I will not buy this, I will not buy this, I will not buy this...

No gifs :(

id6CSERhPkF6a.gif

ic0yx7V2Jz8qa.gif

iR5WA98aZLGwM.gif

ibkGVn7ipAp8Zi.gif

Also Max learns several different "drawning" powers during his journey. For example Rock, Water, Tree branches. Each of these has their own special ability/uses. Rocks are usually used as platforms while trees can be drawn in any shape/form and cut and pushed around like boulders. Trees can also be used a miniature trampoline at the edge of a branch.

Goodness, that looks and sounds great...

NO! I will not buy this!!!!!

This came out of left field, but I will check it out tonight!

Peggle 2 and this have made for nice December for the XB1 in terms of releases.

This came out of left field, but I will check it out tonight!

Peggle 2 and this have made for nice December for the XB1 in terms of releases.

We get Ryse and Dead Rising 3 content plus we're getting Halo: Spartan Ops too. Forza patch was nice too. I'm glad MS is pushing content right into the holidays.

sangreal

Just got to chapter 4. Really liking this game. The puzzles for the collectibles can be pretty challenging

The
pitch black
level was an awesome use of lighting and marker though I thought they stretched it a bit long

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I really like this so far, only an hour in and just finished the first chapter. LOVE the art style and so far the puzzles have been quite interesting though I'm sure they get tougher. I missed 2 eyes and a secret so I'll have to go back to find those. Looking at Smartglass I dies 20 times :p

Xander51

We get Ryse and Dead Rising 3 content plus we're getting Halo: Spartan Ops too. Forza patch was nice too. I'm glad MS is pushing content right into the holidays.

The Dead Rising 3 content got pushed to January, but other than that I agree with you. :)

Bgamer90

Banned
Tried getting this game multiple times but can't. Keep getting a "try a different purchase option" notification. Very strange.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Lima

Man this game is so amazing. I call this genre the "chill game". It falls right into this category of Fez, Brothers, Journey etc. More of an experience without any challenge. I like this type of game every once in a while.

Wow out of left field release.. I hope Microsoft promotes this properly

Gonna snatch it later

They are already failing in this sense imo...a stealth release from a game at one of their own studios isn't the best way to market a game. They should have announced it sometime earlier this month like they did with Halo: SA. Not sure why they didn't try and generate at least a little bit of hype pre-release.

sangreal

They are already failing in this sense imo...a stealth release from a game at one of their own studios isn't the best way to market a game. They should have announced it sometime earlier this month like they did with Halo: SA. Not sure why they didn't try and generate at least a little bit of hype pre-release.

It's really bizarre. That and the post-release review embargo. You get the impression they don't think highly of this game, which is strange because it's actually really good

Even if it did suck, they should still push it as a 1080/60(?) first party exclusive

Lima

I thought i heard some people say it does and some say it doesnt. My xbox is in standby right now and it downloads updates while asleep.

Yeah it downloads updates and stuff but there is no way for it to initiate remote downloads like the PS4 does. So no the game will not download. Once you get home and go into my games&apps all the way to the right will be Max with a cloud sign. Just click on it and it will start the download.

sangreal

I thought i heard some people say it does and some say it doesnt. My xbox is in standby right now and it downloads updates while asleep.

it doesn't. if you buy something on xbox.com it tells you as much. Just says it will be in your apps and games list ready to install

Yeah it downloads updates and stuff but there is no way for it to initiate remote downloads like the PS4 does. So no the game will not download. Once you get home and go into my games&apps all the way to the right will be Max with a cloud sign. Just click on it and it will start the download.

which is really strange considering it's been a 360 feature since like 2007

Caayn

Agreed. It's really bad that about the only marketing this game gets is this small article on Major Nelson's blog.
Even if it did suck, they should still push it as a 1080/60(?) first party exclusive
Xbox One version is 60fps and it will be 30fps on the Xbox 360.

Lima

which is really strange considering it's been a 360 feature since like 2007

Um no. It starts the download once you have turned the 360 on since it will already be in your download list but it doesn't wake up the 360 from standby to initiate the download.

Neither the PS3 nor the 360 had this feature. Only the PS4 has for now.

ahartig

Question to those who have played most of the game. Is it something you think a 2 or 3 year old would enjoy watching?

i.e. are there any "scary" scenes or monsters that might freak them out?

My kid loves Toy Story and most of the pixar movies, so "scary" scenes like that he is ok with.

Caayn

Um no. It starts the download once you have turned the 360 on since it will already be in your download list but it doesn't wake up the 360 from standby to initiate the download.

Neither the PS3 nor the 360 had this feature. Only the PS4 has for now.
The PS3 allowed it if you had PS+.(Checks once a day for downloads you've added to your download history.) Don't know about the PS4, but I assume that it also has that feature.
Question to those who have played most of the game. Is it something you think a 2 or 3 year old would enjoy watching?

My kid loves Toy Story and most of the pixar movies, so "scary" scenes like that he is ok with.
It isn't scary, but I think that the third chapter can be scary as there are eyes floating in black spots and the levels are really dark in that chapter. The first two are really colorful.

Much better.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It's rated E10 but so far there hasn't been anything too scary. I would assume the rating is because of Max dying in so many ways which might not be good for a 3 year old but that's your call.

Heres a question, if i run home during lunch, initiate the download then put it back into standby will it download it? Wondering if it will still download, I know i kind of did this with the Dead rising demo and it worked over night.

ahartig

It's rated E10 but so far there hasn't been anything too scary. I would assume the rating is because of Max dying in so many ways which might not be good for a 3 year old but that's your call.

Ya, didn't think about the dying parts. Probably not the best then.

Lima

The PS3 allowed it if you had PS+.(Checks once a day for downloads you've added to your download history.) Don't know about the PS4, but I assume that it also has that feature.

But that is not what I mean mate. Yes the PS3 does it once a day but the PS4 fully supports remote downloads.

Buy anything from the web store and it will instantly start downloading on your PS4 if it is in standby mode with the "enable turning on ps4 from network" option checked.

I fully expect this to become available on the Xbox One in the future though.

Caayn

But that is not what I mean mate. Yes the PS3 does it once a day but the PS4 fully supports remote downloads.

Buy anything from the web store and it will instantly start downloading on your PS4 if it is in standby mode with the "enable turning on ps4 from network" option checked.

I fully expect this to become available on the Xbox One in the future though.
Ah my bad. It's kinda weird that the Xbox One doesn't already support it, but it's as you said a future update will most likely change that.

Lima

Heres a question, if i run home during lunch, initiate the download then put it back into standby will it download it? Wondering if it will still download, I know i kind of did this with the Dead rising demo and it worked over night.
Yes it will.

I had no idea this existed. Is this a sequel?

Sort of. It stars the same main character from the WP7 game Max and the Magic Marker.

derFeef

So now playing it, it really feels much better already than that pre-alpha demo I played.
Also it may come close to 60fps but it's def. not locked during gameplay. Very gorgeous game.

Wasn't planning to buy digital games for my One, but the game looks so appealing that I wanna buy this.I live in the Netherlands, is it possible to DL this to my Xbox One? I own Paypal and my region is set on England. Any help would be appreciated :)

Top Bottom