• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May: I will rip up human rights laws to tackle terrorism

Oersted

Edit:

I'm clear: if human rights laws get in the way of tackling extremism and terrorism, we will change those laws to keep British people safe.
https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/872181737933217794

Theresa May has said she is willing to rip up some human rights laws if they "stop us from" tackling terrorism.

The Prime Minister told supporters at a rally in Slough her measures will mean "longer prison sentences for those convicted of terrorist offences.

"I mean making it easier for authorities to deport foreign terrorist suspects back to their own country.

"I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and movements of terrorist suspects - when we have enough evidence to know they are a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.

"If our human rights laws stop us from doing it, we'll change the laws so we can do it."

via (Link has the video)

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2017-06-06/pm-i-will-rip-up-human-rights-laws-to-tackle-terrorism/

Lock if old

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, that would only even make the bare minimum level of sense if the terrorists cared how long you put them in jail for. As for the "deport people without evidence because I don't have evidence to jail them" where are you even going to deport these people? They're just as often as not UK citizens.

eizarus

Banned
Speaking on the election trail, the Prime Minister told supporters she would change any laws that got in the way of preventing jihadis from launching attacks in Britain.

"I mean longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences. I mean making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terrorist suspects back to their own countries.

"And I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they are a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.

"And if our human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change the laws so we can do it.

More in the article: http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-m...up-human-rights-laws-to-fight-terror-10906543

thats-how-it-starts-thats-how-it-starts.jpg

gngf123

This is what she has wanted for ages. She is just politicizing recent tragedies to try and finally get it.

Atolm

The funny thing Ms May is that most of those terrorists are UK citizens.

What are you going to do? Deport them to Australia for old time's sake?

turmoil

Banned
Deporting suspects. Presumption of innocence be damned.

And I don't want to know what the criteria for being a suspect is going to be to her.

Do we start goose stepping now? Or in my case i may have to wear a some kind of mark with a F on it (for foreigner)

Is May Katie Hopkins alter ego? Like May/Hopkins instead of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde , but May/Hopkins have no good counter balance

The internet control, abolish human rights...

What's next? Detention centers? Farrage and all the right wing nutjobs must be having an orgasm just about now

jelly

Deporting foreign terrorists sounds fairly sensible, no?

Same with longer prison sentences?

We need to stop and ask can she do this already, without ripping up human rights as they are or does she want to do it regardless. I would guess the latter.

entremet

Kinda nuts how easily these politicians are played by terror. This is exactly what the terrorists want.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Deporting foreign terrorists sounds fairly sensible, no?

Same with longer prison sentences?

Till the government needs another scape goat for all their problems. Maybe they can start targeting the Jews or LGTBQ community.

Costa Kid

Surely this will disturb moderates who planned on voting for the conservatives? But will increase votes from UKIP voters?

The part where she tackles terrorism is really an afterthought. She's been in charge of security one way or another for 7 years and doesn't have much to show for it.

eizarus

Banned
So the terrorists win?
In a way yes.

As a British Muslim, I honestly have to wonder when this is going to get abused and innocent people will start getting getting "deported"(regardless of whether they were UK born or not). Innocent people have been locked up and detained for years under the Terrorism Act. A friend of my cousin up here in Scotland was held for about 4 years and subsequently cleared of all charges when he got his trial eventually because of some Bin Laden joke he made.

darscot

Hasn't this been the MO for the UK for some time? Or have I just seen In the name of the Father too many times?

What a terrible human being. How do the worst end up on top? Is there any hope for this world? Why does she ignore facts? Why does she turn tragedy into a platform for completely unrelated policies? Who could honestly be so fucking stupid?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Surely this will disturb moderates who planned on voting for the conservatives? But will increase votes from UKIP voters?

Only if they think about it long enough to realise 'oh wait she's taking away our human rights as well'.

Top Bottom