• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May: I will rip up human rights laws to tackle terrorism

I guess she's referring to the EU law preventing countries from deporting to areas where risk of death and torture is severe? So essentially, subjecting "terrorists" to torture and death.

Good thing the EU prevents such barbaric acts. May can go suck a fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So you're saying she'll start restricting the rights of gay people or am I reading this wrongly? If so, that's a Carl Lewis style long jump you're making there. Lets wait and see exactly what it is they're proposing before we start getting silly.

Are you familiar with the history of mankind? This kind of thing happens over and over again.

Yeah this is just bollocks. It fucking amazes me how holier than thou some of those who sit left of centre are on this forum. Anyone with any slightly right or conservative leaning tendencies is written off as being a nutter or a Nazi. So many supposed liberals wanting to dictate to people how they should think. You're not automatically correct just because you come over all fucking righteous. If anything, the left leaning agenda on here is way more cancerous. Anyone with a viewpoint / opinion that doesn't fit gets jumped on , labelled and shut down.

What...

Do you just have nonsequitar rants ready to paste in even if it has nothing to do with the comment you are replying too?

So instead of elaborating or defending your view point you're just going to whine about GAF not listening. Well I'm convinced.

It's not my viewpoint I'm necessarily defending and yeah maybe it's a bit of generalisation, hence I used the word "some". I just see a pattern of those proposing more controversial solutions being rounded on. It's hard to discuss this kind of thing on a forum I guess.

Audioboxer

She oversaw the vast majority of cuts and then told people who warned her what would happen they were scaremongering and crying wolf.

No-one should believe a single word she says.

You're agreeing with me. I just don't want any international posters thinking on her behalf this is simply being "overreaching" in a time of a multitude of tragedies. The Tories have wanted to tamper with the human rights bills for a while, Brexit giving them a hard on from sailing away from EU protections.

You're agreeing with me. I just don't want any international posters thinking on her behalf this is simply being overreaching in a time of a multitude of tragedies. The Tories have wanted to tamper with the human rights bills for a while, Brexit giving them a hard on from sailing away from EU protections.

Indeed I was! I was just adding a bit more detail about her history in case anyone didn't know about the shit she's been doing and saying.

eizarus

Banned
Deporting foreign terrorists sounds fairly sensible, no?

Same with longer prison sentences?
What happens when they start deporting innocent people? It's almost a running joke at this point that all throughout history, innocent folk suffer at extreme laws.

It's not my viewpoint I'm necessarily defending and yeah maybe it's a bit of generalisation, hence I used the word "some". I just see a pattern of those proposing more controversial solutions being rounded on. It's hard to discuss this kind of thing on a forum I guess.

So you're not even arguing your own pov?

Is this a turing test?

She might get away with it too. After Brexit I'm still not confident of the progressive movement in politics to stop human right laws from being rewritten.

HStallion

So quit bitching and explain yourself. These "GAF is this" or "GAF is that" posts just scream that you have nothing to add except how much this forum sucks because it doesn't cater to your tastes. Give me a break.

What...

Do you just have nonsequitar rants ready to paste in even if it has nothing to do with the comment you are replying too?

I think it's relevant when the comment is implying that those with more right leaning opinions in the London thread are labelled as pendulums. Basically saying that such people's opinions don't count because they go with the flow of popular opinion. Now, if that's not what the comment meant, then ok I was wrong in my response but that was how it read to me.

I think it's relevant when the comment is implying that those with more right leaning opinions in the London thread are labelled as pendulums. Basically saying that such people's opinions don't count because they go with the flow of popular opinion. Now, if that's not what the comment meant, then ok I was wrong in my response but that was how it read to me.

They said simply that some of the same people cheerleadimg ripping up human rights will get mad one day when they realize ooops their rights got fucked too.

If you believe state-sponsored terrorism is a thing, why would you want to deport terrorists back to the country that sent them there to begin with?

And more importantly, why would you say any of this verbatim? Why is 2017 about quadrupling down on stupid?

nOoblet16

We aren't even being subtle now.

It's so infuriating that she will end up leading this country again and an honest man with principles, and a great manifesto that's full costed, will end up most likely getting backstabbed by his own party.

Yeah this is just bollocks. It fucking amazes me how holier than thou some of those who sit left of centre are on this forum. Anyone with any slightly right or conservative leaning tendencies is written off as being a nutter or a Nazi. So many supposed liberals wanting to dictate to people how they should think. You're not automatically correct just because you come over all fucking righteous. If anything, the left leaning agenda on here is way more cancerous. Anyone with a viewpoint / opinion that doesn't fit gets jumped on , labelled and shut down.

May: "I'm going to fuck up human rights"
Liberals: "No don't"
Boy Wander: "Bloody liberals always so high and mighty!"

???

So quit bitching and explain yourself. These "GAF is this" or "GAF is that" posts just scream that you have nothing to add except how much this forum sucks because it doesn't cater to your tastes. Give me a break.

Not true. I didn't mention GAF. I stated the impression that I got from the London thread, which was that anyone that suggested measures that could be seen as being controversial were dogpiled. And no, I'm not referring to myself here.

pswii60

What happens when they start deporting innocent people? It's almost a running joke at this point that all throughout history, innocent folk suffer at extreme laws.

Sadly, you know your typical UKIP voter (which Tories are courting with this) couldn't give a shit whether or not someone is innocent, if they are Muslim.
Not true. I didn't mention GAF. I stated the impression that I got from the London thread, which was that anyone that suggested measures that could be seen as being controversial were dogpiled. And no, I'm not referring to myself here.
You've walked in to your local Labour working mens club, the Conversative social club is across the road on the right.

So you're saying she'll start restricting the rights of gay people or am I reading this wrongly? If so, that's a Carl Lewis style long jump you're making there. Lets wait and see exactly what it is they're proposing before we start getting silly.

No. What im saying is once we go down this path, what will stop the government of continuing abusing these powers?

The bill passed last year already allows your personal browsing history to be accessed by 40 different Government companies? Why? What for?

What difference will it make to abolish human rights laws ? Will it stop any more terror attacks than the ones being stopped now?

HStallion

Might want to reread your own post then:

No. What im saying is once we go down this path, what will stop the government of continuing abusing these powers?

The bill passed last year already allows your personal browsing history to be accessed by 40 different Government companies? Why? What for?

What difference will it make to abolish human rights laws ? Will it stop any more terror attacks than the ones being stopped now?

I agree that there's a fine line and that any changes would need to ideally be independently reviewed. I don't know enough about what the changes being proposed would mean to be able to make a call on whether they've gone too far.

jelly

What the fuck is happening to this world filled with shit?

Terrorists won or it gives governments the chance to be absolute scumbags and change countries into some police/regressive/surveillance state. I really don't see the appeal or what's in it for them.

Xando

I guess she's referring to the EU law preventing countries from deporting to areas where risk of death and torture is severe? So essentially, subjecting "terrorists" to torture and death.

Good thing the EU prevents such barbaric acts. May can go suck a fuck.
What EU law is that and why are countries like germany allowed to ignore it by deporting to afghanistan or iraq?

eizarus

Banned
Did you read the OP?
You must be extremely naive and ignorant if you think this won't spiral. Plenty of examples around the world and throughout history for you to lookup.
Add to that the fact that while May was Home Secretary, she tried to push forward surveillance state policies that were blocked by the Human Rights Agreement. Policies which applied to the whole UK, innocent or guilty. Smh son you have a lot of reading to do.

Deepwater

lmao that person just said that this is an emotional knee jerk/opportunism to tragedy and you just defensively projected claims of being called a nazi.

antonz

It is problematic in it can certainly begin a spiral into much worse things.

That said there has to be more that can be done. I mean this recent attacker. He was literally in a show called the Jihadi's Next Door. You have these people out in public shouting their disdain and wanting destruction of your way of life.

There has to be steps society can take to protect itself against people like that

Skyzard

Banned
Germany, Spain and Switzerland are looking better and better every day.

I think I'll bounce tbh. I think my family, every one of which is a doctor, is going to bail too. Even my copper friends are moving abroad, and they're as British as it gets.

Police fucked, NHS fucked, ridiculous taxes that go to fund dodgy wars, loosening morals with the country at large and ditching the EU to follow the US and its conflicts.

Sure, the people are nice, in London at least, and the weather is getting a bit better but it's not worth it anymore. I'd much rather our taxes go elsewhere.

Unless May drops dead, and Corbyn manages to take over, then maybe.

Derwind

Why beat around the bush and just call it what it is, a literal witch hunt for brown people.

I pray her end goals never succeed.

lmao that person just said that this is an emotional knee jerk/opportunism to tragedy and you just defensively projected claims of being called a nazi.

I was trying to get across the point, clearly very badly, that people who come up with such proposals tend to get labelled.

You must be extremely naive and ignorant if you think this won't spiral. Plenty of examples around the world and throughout history for you to lookup.
Add to that the fact that while May was Home Secretary, she tried to push forward surveillance state policies that were blocked by the Human Rights Agreement. Policies which applied to the whole UK, innocent or guilty. Smh son you have a lot of reading to do.

'member when councils were caught abusing terrorism legislation to spy on people?

Good times.

Top Bottom