• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May: I will rip up human rights laws to tackle terrorism

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wouldn't be better first to provide the necessary funding and resources to the police and intelligence community to be able to properly investigate and have proper surveillance for the reported suspects like the ones who did the last two attacks?

What's the point of longer sentences and deportation when the terrorists manage to successfully put their plans in motion and die during the attacks?

Do we start goose stepping now? Or in my case i may have to wear a some kind of mark with a F on it (for foreigner)

Is May Katie Hopkins alter ego? Like May/Hopkins instead of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde , but May/Hopkins have no good counter balance

The internet control, abolish human rights...

What's next? Detention centers? Farrage and all the right wing nutjobs must be having an orgasm just about now

How have you leapt from what she said to what you're saying. She's talking about people who are being monitored and restricting their movements. If you're not on their list, what have you got to worry about?

Kinda nuts how easily these politicians are played by terror. This is exactly what the terrorists want.

This isn't a reaction to the recent attacks. May has wanted to do this for years, this is just a convenient excuse.

How have you leapt from what she said to what you're saying. She's talking about people who are being monitored and restricting their movements. If you're not on their list, what have you got to worry about?

Oh, that old chestnut.

Deporting foreign terrorists sounds fairly sensible, no?

Same with longer prison sentences?

So, those two things that would have nothing to do with stopping these terrorist attacks, is being used a stepping stone to possibly neutering those pesky human rights laws, and that's your response?

Smells like irrationality and privilege to me.

I mean, if you were going to do it (rip up human rights) anyway, might as well try and put the obvious spin on it to seem slightly less evil.

Strength Through Unity!
Unity Through Faith!
I've seen this movie

d4HezUNl.jpg

Shahadan

It's like people don't take any lesson from all the movies/books/history-classes they're watching/reading/taking.
This is litterally the plot of thousands of things.
Do we have to repeat everything all over again everytime

Unsurprising. She had wanted to do away with human rights legislation for over half a decade and now she has two tragedies, that she indirectly helped cause by slashing funding across the board, to exploit and boy is she going to exploit them for all they are worth.

This is literally wet dream stuff for her. She knows the general public is primed to give up their freedoms and civil liberties.

How long do you think, that after she gets all the powers to do whatever she wants without, proof, trial or proper investigation, she will stop at terror suspects?

Why not political opponents? People sexuality? Facebook, etc?

Im all for nailling terrorists, don't get me wrong, but what she is proposing is abuse of power by the state.

Nothing to do with terrorism, she just really hates human rights. Also it kind of flies in the face of human rights in the first place if you can just change the laws around them, the point of human rights is that they're fundamental.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Surely this will disturb moderates who planned on voting for the conservatives? But will increase votes from UKIP voters?
If the last couple years should have taught you anything, "clearly moderates should be shaken by this news and vote sensibily" is never an assumption you want to make, as it will probably go the opposite way you want it to.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Its not hard to add people to a list... especially when you have taken away their rights in the first place.

Some of those people will be bitching about their rights once it becomes reality. They are emotionally driven human pendulums with little to no forward thinking.

Yeah this is just bollocks. It fucking amazes me how holier than thou some of those who sit left of centre are on this forum. Anyone with any slightly right or conservative leaning tendencies is written off as being a nutter or a Nazi. So many supposed liberals wanting to dictate to people how they should think. You're not automatically correct just because you come over all fucking righteous. If anything, the left leaning agenda on here is way more cancerous. Anyone with a viewpoint / opinion that doesn't fit gets jumped on , labelled and shut down.

Nokterian

If it stops Islamist scum murdering people on our streets, sure. Go for it.

The UK has the most CCTV and the last year bill passed for Mass Surveillance Act in the western world (keeping your internet history for more than 40 secret and public company's)

And did it help?

Also removing your freedom,it will be North Korea or even China, meaning you can't be you anymore. Removing freedom isn't not the answer nor the solution.

CrunchyB

If it stops Islamist scum murdering people on our streets, sure. Go for it.

Of course it won't stop the terrorists, that's a right-wing fantasy.

There is no one, simple solution. Islamic terrorism can be stopped, but it will require a high degree of cooperation between all involved parties, time and money. Anyone who argues otherwise is a lying populist.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah this is just bollocks. It fucking amazes me how holier than thou some of those who sit left of centre are on this forum. Anyone with any slightly right or conservative leaning tendencies is written off as being a nutter or a Nazi. So many supposed liberals wanting to dictate to people how they should think. You're not automatically correct just because you come over all fucking righteous. If anything, the left leaning agenda on here is way more cancerous. Anyone with a viewpoint / opinion that doesn't fit gets jumped on , labelled and shut down.

So instead of elaborating or defending your view point you're just going to whine about GAF not listening. Well I'm convinced.

Instead of the persecution complex, offer up something people can actually work with.

Audioboxer

Not to sound condescending to any international GAF, but the Tories have wanted to do this for a while. The attacks are being used, it's not simply that they're being reactionary to them because "terrorism".

A lot of work and effort needs to go into terrorism when there is the blood of children flowing through our streets, but the Government we have in charge are some of the most opportunistic dick bags you could find. As others have pointed out May was the home secretary when some of those police cuts were getting put through.

Continual public service defunding is an area to look at before going nuclear on the human rights bills. Speaking of nuclear, you want to prioritise funding? Don't be spending £150+ billion on Trident. Scrap that shite and put a portion of that money back into traditional defences and the police forces. Nuclear weapons won't protect your from this kind of terrorism.

How long do you think, that after she gets all the powers to do whatever she wants without, proof, trial or proper investigation, she will stop at terror suspects?

Why not political opponents? People sexuality? Facebook, etc?

Im all for nailling terrorists, don't get me wrong, but what she is proposing is abuse of power by the state.

So you're saying she'll start restricting the rights of gay people or am I reading this wrongly? If so, that's a Carl Lewis style long jump you're making there. Lets wait and see exactly what it is they're proposing before we start getting silly.

I think May is indirectly talking about wanting to justify Torture here. Something John Oliver covered a while back.

Many people believe torture works because it works on TV. It sounds obscene, but it's quite incredible if this is one of the main causes for believing it.

She wants to uproot privacy, protections and human rights all in the name of terror. This is a repeat of post 9/11 where the US started going incredible defensive. It's disturbing and sad to see the UK regressing to this.

the lack of a formal written constitution in the U.K. makes this horrifying. there's nothing stopping them. the us a conservative majority supreme court struck down bushs terrorism policy and looks likely to strike down a muslim ban.

quite scary time

pswii60

Sadly this is an area where the government (any government) simply cannot win. We've seen all the flack they've taken for extremists already known to the police/intelligence being allowed to commit the atrocities of recent weeks. But equally, we don't want to see human rights bills being torn up, nor additional surveillance.

Not to sound condescending to any international GAF, but the Tories have wanted to do this for a while. The attacks are being used, it's not simply that they're being reactionary to them because "terrorism".

A lot of work and effort needs to go into terrorism when there is the blood of children flowing through our streets, but the Government we have in charge are some of the most opportunistic dick bags you could find. As others have pointed out May was the home secretary when some of those police cuts were getting put through.

She oversaw the vast majority of cuts and then told people who warned her what would happen they were scaremongering and crying wolf.

No-one should believe a single word she says.

Tearing up basic human rights and submitting yourself to a survalence state is slightly to the right.

Top Bottom