• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm conflicted about Mike Awesome.

+ Great look. Him, Hall, and Goldberg have some of the best 'I am a wrestler' bodies I've ever seen.
+ Mullet
+ Incredible moveset that just showcases his abilities.
+ Physically gifted

- Only seems to know how to get pops by doing big moves.
- Mullet
- Bad at selling
- Bad at promos
- He basically sucks the storytelling in a match out of the ring completely. Everything is just big spots. It works with smaller guys, but it only works for so long before it's old hat.
- What character?

Mike Awesome is best only in .gif form

I'm not saying anyone is an angel. I just want the gimmick posting and accusations of gimmick posting to stop. I just like logical and level-headed wrestling discussion.

That's like asking for level headed Thanksgiving dinner discussion. That ain't happening. Eventually we're gonna argue about religion and politics.

This is our religion and politics.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
WWE please sign Rosita,

2XxFDW9.jpg

thanks.

I originally thought every TNA fan was a gimmick poster or spy, but that's apparently not the case, so fuck if I know who is and isn't gimmickry

Maybe I'm the NSA

Ric Flair

Banned
Feel the same way. His promos just go in one ear and out the other. I have to actively pay attention to follow his babbling and make any sense of it. He doesn't captivate me like a CM Punk or a John Cena. I know it's not fair to compare him to veterans but he has a long way to go still.

Agreed, albeit minus the John Cena part. He's in a unique stable that has one hell of an entrance to the ring. His look is pretty good too, if only he had more in-ring chops/smarts

Gorillaz

It seems like this whole gimmick posting thing y'all talking bout is like how some FBI agents get in a little too deep with an assignment. Like they become Juan Perio the cartel dealer when they are really John Perry the guy bout to get a divorce because his wife for 5 years is getting piped by the teacher at little
johnny's
school

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I'm conflicted about Mike Awesome.

+ Great look. Him, Hall, and Goldberg have some of the best 'I am a wrestler' bodies I've ever seen.
+ Mullet
+ Incredible moveset that just showcases his abilities.
+ Physically gifted

- Only seems to know how to get pops by doing big moves.
- Mullet
- Bad at selling
- Bad at promos
- He basically sucks the storytelling in a match out of the ring completely. Everything is just big spots. It works with smaller guys, but it only works for so long before it's old hat.
- What character?

Mike Awesome is best only in .gif form
I liked Mike in ECW, his matches against Masato Tanaka were brutal

It seems like this whole gimmick posting thing y'all talking bout is like how some FBI agents get in a little too deep with an assignment. Like they become Juan Perio the cartel dealer when they are really John Perry the guy bout to get a divorce because his wife for 5 years is getting piped by the teacher at little
johnny's
school

I just watched Donnie Brasco recently. Is that how gimmick posting starts?

I'm not sure if they officially dropped the Alexander. The announcers kept using it. Normally when they do cut the first names, like with Cesaro, they make it a point to not have the announcers call them by the old name.

The new tagline, "It's like Netflix, only better", kind of reeks of desperation, I have to admit.

To me, it reads more like "half of our audience are idiots who don't realize how this thing works". Name-dropping Netflix, which has brand recognition, helps people immediately understand what it is and how it can be accessed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thank fucking God that Punk isn't back with Hogan working with the WWE, so we haven't had to suffer through that promo. You know the one,

'Listen up, Terry'
Punk pauses to wait for audience approval and the internet proclaiming him god amongst promos
'Things are a little different around here since you've been off doing who knows what (smart fan TNA bash, only us true smarks get it). But I am The Best In The World, and I make my matches. So unless I need help with putting on my yappapi strap(smart joke callback), you need to keep your mouth shut.... BROTHER'

Thorakai

To me, it reads more like "half of our audience are idiots who don't realize how this thing works". Name-dropping Netflix, which has brand recognition, helps people immediately understand what it is and how it can be accessed.

That is what I thought too. I can easily believe Vince wanting to shit talk Netflix though.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks that WWE is legitimately trying to shame Netflix or prop up the Network. It's almost certainly nothing more than a quick phrase to get the general audience to understand what kind of media the Network is.

Thank fucking God that Punk isn't back with Hogan working with the WWE, so we haven't had to suffer through that promo. You know the one,

'Listen up, Terry'
Punk pauses to wait for audience approval and the internet proclaiming him god amongst promos
'Things are a little different around here since you've been off doing who knows what (smart fan TNA bash, only us true smarks get it). But I am The Best In The World, and I make my matches. So unless I need help with putting on my yappapi strap(smart joke callback), you need to keep your mouth shut.... BROTHER'
I feel like Austin Aries has cut that promo on him before. I know the whole BROTHER thing is the thing everyone goes to when cutting heel promos on Hogan

strobogo

Banned
Austin and Booker T fighting in a grocery store (hell, any of the Booker T-Goldust skits) = campy nonsense with believable acting & comedic timing that gets everyone over
D.Brine-Brie vs. Kane-Steph = campy nonsense with terrible acting and a disingenuous commentary team selling it as being real that gets nobody over

Yes. Austin/Booker's fight was funny and FUN, no matter how stupid it got. BookDust segments were funny and FUN, no matter how stupid they got. Anyone that legitimately thinks the segments progressing the Kane/Bryan segments were funny and FUN are people I don't understand. I mean, I understand Soul liking them, because they involved Kane and bless his heart, he will support just about anything with Kane. I don't mean that in a condescending way like I would if I said that about Aiii and AJ, either.

Even the Kane/Cena/Ryder/Eve stuff was so bad it was good. The Bryan/Kane/Brie/Stephanie stuff has been flat out bad and unenjoyable on any level. No one noticed the Kane mask glued to the door? No one noticed the Kane mask night light? No one noticed the camera man in the car? No one noticed or thought it was weird that Kane teleported into the car? Kane spent what felt like 4 minutes playing with Bryan's hair? Brie spent what felt like 3 days screaming in the exact same tone, length, and pitch during those four minutes?

Wrestling has always had a lot of really stupid shit in it. The general idea of the genre of entertainment to begin with is pretty stupid. There are very few things in any form of entertainment as bad as a poor/embarrassing pro wrestling angle. Especially when the angle crosses the line of so bad its good into the area of so bad its bad. That kind of pro wrestling angle is just about the worst thing possible in the world of scripted entertainment.

This angle is probably the worst thing Bryan could be put in. It not only plays to his weaknesses, but also takes away the majority of his strengths. He can't do what he does best in the ring with someone like Kane. Particularly in gimmick matches. I think this whole angle would be much better if it was Korporate Kane vs Bryan. The random change back to the monster with as much explanation as the change to the corporate Kane (IE none at all) was stupid. I'd much rather this have a bunch of in ring speaking promo stuff than back stage horror movie garbage.

'Listen up, Terry'

I like Punk, and that's incredibly accurate haha. Kinda in a nutshell why a lot of his feuds post mitb fell flat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It is the Netflix of wrestling...with the added wrinkle of the live events and scheduled programming if you want it...which makes it better in that way.

Some of the Network's features are above and beyond what anyone else has done in the streaming world. It could still use a few things like remembering your position across every device, better controls for fast forwarding/rewinding, not giving away match results in searches (though other than that their search is incredible), a better queue would also be nice.

Thorakai

Why would he want to do that? He isn't in direct competition with them. The two services have nothing in common other than the fact that they stream content.

I don't know, it didn't really make sense for the guy to keep making fun of J.R. or push for incest angles either.

Ric Flair

Banned
I'll be kinda bummed if this wwe app fails. I've really enjoyed it, and I think the content it offers is really awesome for its pricepoint

Tonight's show was pretty ho hum and lackluster, you guys weren't kidding. El Matadores segment was particularly cringeworthy when they started speaking.

Top Bottom