• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The crowd for UWF vs NJPW is hot for this whole fucking event. It's nuts how much work they're putting in for this thing.

Takada vs Hashimoto. Both guys are so over. and fucking Takada coming out to Rocky score

The crowd for UWF vs NJPW is hot for this whole fucking event. It's nuts how much work they're putting in for this thing.

Takada vs Hashimoto. Both guys are so over. and fucking Takada coming out to Rocky score

that was the match i was reviewing when i "cancelled" the shoot-style stuff.

arguably the hottest feud of all time. everyone was getting insane reactions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
that was the match i was reviewing when i "cancelled" the shoot-style stuff.

arguably the hottest feud of all time. everyone was getting insane reactions.

It's nuts when you take two of the biggest wrestling companies and play to their strengths, you get incredible fan reaction for both sides. Even Hogan vs Rock had people picking Hogan's side, but Hashimoto and Takada are SO beloved by Japanese fans that they just pop for both guys.

A lesson Vince would never learn during the Invasion angle. This is probably the best crowd I've ever seen in all of professional wrestling. Next time someone asks for, 'what's the biggest pop,' you can just say pretty much every move in that match

Sblargh

Banned
Even if I did not hated this RAW, it really looks like WWE undid a lot of good will they garnered the past months.

And then I read about how this always happens and, well, *sigh*. I'll blame John Cena and John Cena still will be a millionaire. Wrestling have been a fun ride, I don't want to lose that.

I think I'll focus more on stuff from the past or independent stuff if the storylines don't get better.

Wyatts feud should have ended on Wrestlemania with them defeated, but moving on away from the poison. Yeah, after all, Cena doesn't have a monster inside of him, who cares?

Kane feud should have ended in Extreme Rules when Bryan did a headbutt dive from the top of a forklift and now it will drag until the next PPV? *sigh*

I still think it's overreaction to think everything is turned to shit and horrible and his push is dead and so on, but then again, I never seen it happen before.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was Palumbo trying to be Luger in WCW supposed to be a jab? He's so completely unimpressive. Like, his body looks like fucking shit. Almost as bad as Stasiak pretending to be Curt Henning.

Even if I did not hated this RAW, it really looks like WWE undid a lot of good will they garnered the past months.

And then I read about how this always happens and, well, *sigh*. I'll blame John Cena and John Cena still will be a millionaire. Wrestling have been a fun ride, I don't want to lose that.

I think I'll focus more on stuff from the past or independent stuff if the storylines don't get better.

Wyatts feud should have ended on Wrestlemania with them defeated, but moving on away from the poison. Yeah, after all, Cena doesn't have a monster inside of him, who cares?

Kane feud should have ended in Extreme Rules when Bryan did a headbutt dive from the top of a forklift and now it will drag until the next PPV? *sigh*

I still think it's overreaction to think everything is turned to shit and horrible and his push is dead and so on, but then again, I never seen it happen before.

I swear, half of being a wrestling fan is always being angry about *something*. Your training is complete, padawan.

Srsly though, things have been worse. There's always other wrestling around, that's the great thing about it, especially these days. If one product is in a slump, give something new a shot.

Sblargh

Banned
I swear, half of being a wrestling fan is always being angry about *something*. Your training is complete, padawan.

Srsly though, things have been worse. There's always other wrestling around, that's the great thing about it, especially these days. If one product is in a slump, give something new a shot.

Every fucking fandom, man.
People are always pissed. I'm about to start collecting gummy bears and then I'll find a forum where someone is angry that the green gummy bear this year is fucking horrible.

Browny

Banned
Every fucking fandom, man.
People are always pissed. I'm about to start collecting gummy bears and then I'll find a forum where someone is angry that the green gummy bear this year is fucking horrible.
Green gummy bears? I've got some bad news for you... They're bogeys.
that's not necessarily true...

Phatmac

Lol this whole forum seems like they'll never watch another raw again. I feel asleep a number if times during raw so I think I'll just skip this raw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The problem with that is that a large chunk of people on here refuse to talk about anything other than WWE. So even when you try something different, you can't come in here and discuss it with anyone in any real meaningful way except with like one other person.

It fucking sucks. It kills the community. That's part of why I liked the Wrestle Kingdom OT so much

Aiii

So not worth it
The problem with that is that a large chunk of people on here refuse to talk about anything other than WWE. So even when you try something different, you can't come in here and discuss it with anyone in any real meaningful way except with like one other person.

It fucking sucks. It kills the community. That's part of why I liked the Wrestle Kingdom OT so much

I understand your frustrations, but you can't really expect anyone to make time or invest money to follow more obscure alternatives. Aside from that, there's just alot more to discuss with WWE, since they have the most complex storylines, backstage stuff, the network and what not. Really can't beat that with a couple of i-PPV's and little storylines outside of the matches as far as discussion options go.

Don't think it kills the Community though, we can always divert to gaming discussions if all wrestling fails.

I don't know we get a good NJPW discussion now and again, and we used to have good CZW/CHIKARA/Pro G discussions but then they sort of went off the boil. Just throw it out there and see what sticks!

Hasney

Split the community, WWE thread and wrasslin' thread. No TNA discussion allowed in either.

I don't actually want this, just another TNA jab

Pretty much convinced that Bean Breath is Jinder Mahal now

"SPEAK AMERICAN!" confirmed it to me. His interest in TNA also makes sense, as he wants to make sure he's on good terms with his next future endevour.

Alucard

Banned
Split the community, WWE thread and wrasslin' thread. No TNA discussion allowed in either.

I don't actually want this, just another TNA jab

Way too easy, man. TNA's more bearable and entertaining than WWE on most weeks. Even if it's for hokey reasons.

Aiii

So not worth it
Way too easy, man. TNA's more bearable and entertaining than WWE on most weeks. Even if it's for hokey reasons.

tumblr_n4nhf5F96o1ta637oo1_500.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Btw, anyone else feel that Cena has put a stink on the Wyatts? Just feel like his interactions with them have poisoned them a bit and made them lose some of their mystique.

Aiii

So not worth it

How many main eventers have been ruined by Kane I wonder. Sure, we can blame Brie. We can blame Stephanie, but who is the common factor in a shitload of ruined main event angles over the past 15 years?

Or alternatively, should the Kane gimmick have ever survived the 90's?

MC Safety

Btw, anyone else feel that Cena has put a stink on the Wyatts? Just feel like his interactions with them have poisoned them a bit and made them lose some of their mystique.

What's ruined the Wyatts is that dumb song. And the children. And the horrible ending of that steel cage match.

Maybe the WWE could have him convert one or two followers. You know, so his creepy cult actually seemed like a creepy cult.

But, honestly, Husky Harris only has a limited shelf life.

Sblargh

Banned
Only read about Rose's debut, but it sounds like he'll be mid-card fodder in 4-5 weeks.

Which is ok, somebody gotta be midcard fodder, if he can wrestle all right and have a fun gimmick while doing it, why not? People compare it to Fandango, but Fandango is also another good midcarder you can get out of your pocket and put in there to generate a good midcard match.

People talk about WWE not building their midcard and maybe that's the fans reacting to that, but there's a lot here of "well, he isn't world champion material, I guess he'll be garbage and irrelevant".

Him and Swagger might have good matches with Zeb Colter helping with the entertainment and that's it. It will be amusing, maybe the actual match will be good enough to justify it and that's it. Not everything has to set the world on fire.
-
I'll rant again, because everyone is unhappy so is a good time to rant and I'm protected by my noob gimmick so I can say stuff you think it's dumb and it's ok, I don't exepct to understand wrestling just yet.

WWE needs to fire its writers. No emergency meeting, just purge whoever touches the unfinished script and start over.

I thougt Kane's segment was harmless fun at the time, really did, but then listening to the review-a-raw podcast, they pointed out how weak it made Bryan look and... yeah. He defeated a guy yesterday and then spent the entire night afraid of him, in panic even; and even if the segment was silly fun, in the end it was silly fun at the expense of making your world heavyweight champion who carries around your two most important titles around look like someone who feels the need to get into a car and drive away to escape from an opponent.

I listened a bit to Cornell talking about Russo and even if Russo is the face of the problem, his way of thinking about wrestling is very clearly alive, him being employed or not. One of the things I'm finding fascinating about wrestling is how the storytelling is so different from everything else, how it has its own pace, how it builds from match to match, the segments being there to enhance them. Somewhere someone paid a lot of dollars to type a script to Monday Night Raw decided the Daniel Bryan match of the night was only there as a way to create suspense to the car segment; and it was a good match, even Bryan colder matches are still better than most things a monday night raw has to offer, but clearly someone who should be experts on how this genre works is just making basic mistakes.

And then comes Mick Foley telling Bryan to fight against bad ideas, Paul Heyman telling talent to fight against the pink trunks and fuck y'all to hell, this isn't the territories where you get a booking, who wins, who loses and 3 minutes to shoot a promo in front of a microphone saying how you will defeat the other guy. I don't remember people telling actors to fight against directors or screenwriters or for novelists to pass tests by refusing their editors bad ideas. You have a team of people responsible for writing a genre of fiction that has its own set of rules, you have a professional in talent relations who is there to help make the talent look good, someone possibly with a marketing degree who makes a very compelling argument to why the pink trunks is a good idea.

Someone had to script, set up and then direct these segments, all of them done live, with people whose training is to fake fight and maybe speak in front of an audience, while now also being asked, between a tight schedule that involves multiple shows a week and constant physical training, to fight against professional writers as to what is best to your character. No, Paul Heyman can go fuck himself, if the pink trunks was a bad idea, the heat is on the professional responsible for choosing the pink trunks and not on the professional wrestler who has done what they told him to do. And Mick Foley has all the good intentions in the world, but his message shouldn't be to Daniel Bryan, but straight to Vince, Steph and Triple H to get their writing professionals in check.

What's ruined the Wyatts is that dumb song. And the children. And the horrible ending of that steel cage match.

Maybe the WWE could have him convert one or two followers. You know, so his creepy cult actually seemed like a creepy cult.

But, honestly, Husky Harris only has a limited shelf life.
Yep. The Wyatt family gimmick always had an expiration date, especially when it was right in Cena's refrigerator. There's only so much you can do with it plus his inability to work a match.

Hasney

Most of the writing staff are TV writers which is the problem.

I think they need to realise that the title doesn't have to be defended at every show. I've been watching nWo era WCW PPVs every night and the structure of a lot of those shows is great. Start with the cruisers to get hyped and every match other than the occasional lucha multi-man tag has a reason to exist in terms of some story. Not only that, but the world title wasn't always defended. What would we prefer, Daniel Bryan V Kane in the stupidest story in wrestling today (even if I did enjoy their match at ER. Still a fan of backstage brawls.), or Evolution adding Sheamus to outnumber the Shield and Bryan continuing his storyline with HHH to join the Shield temporarily to take them out?

I listened a bit to Cornell talking about Russo and even if Russo is the face of the problem, his way of thinking about wrestling is very clearly alive, him being employed or not.

I don't believe that to be true. None of this screams like Russo unless Russo is just another word for "bad". For all the hate Russo gets, during his time in WWF and WCW, every match on a card had a reason for existing and was built up to. It rarely felt like "Oh shit we've got time to fill", even if their reason for being on the card was a terrible one (Oklahoma).

Ithil

As dumb as the segment was, it wasn't meant to be Bryan running away from Kane, it was meant to be Bryan protecting his wife from Kane.

Hasney

As dumb as the segment was, it wasn't meant to be Bryan running away from Kane, it was meant to be Bryan protecting his wife from Kane.

He should have put her with a friend back at the hotel and come back to destroy Kane with a baseball bat before the final match. Even if Kane got the upper hand and chokeslammed him onto a car or something, he still should have done it.

Hopefully Bryan leaves Brie at home next week because he's putting her safety first... Who am I kidding, we'll then just get some footage of Kane at their house.

jmdajr

What is the max amount of time two opponents/teams can go up against one another before the crowd goes mild on them?

Not too long ago people were onboard the Wyatt vs Shield bus, but everyone seems to have jumped off.

fickle

Aiii

So not worth it
What is the max amount of time two opponents/teams can go up against one another before the crowd goes mild on them?

Not too long ago people were onboard the Wyatt vs Shield bus, but everyone seems to have jumped off.

fickle

To be honest, when they announced it I also went "mweh, okay, I guess."

If you want to start a non-WWE non-TNA wrestling viewing club in this thread, I'll back you. We set a show to be watched every 2 weeks, discuss it, and see what happens.

I'd prefer stuff that was relatively cheap to access, but we can play it by ear.

Jamie OD

I think that post-Mania it is everybody outside the ring who are burnt out. The wrestlers are capable to work with what's given to them but it's the writers, the announce team, the production staff, etc who seem to be struggling a lot right now. The stories from Raw last night felt like the result of jetlagged writing that took place during an overnight flight. Just things being forgotton left, right and centre or ideas that would not have been thought of by someone who had a good night's sleep.

Also Lawler needs to go pronto. His commentary so far this year has been the worst it's ever been. He gets lost far too easily and there are segments every week where you can tell he does not give a shit with what's going on in the ring. I know he wants to continue doing this for a living instead of retiring and staying at home but he's been terrible latey. With Cole I understand that his work is what WWE wants from a lead announcer and I can tolerate JBL's flaws because of his enthusiasm but Lawler is without a doubt the weak link in that trio.

Sblargh

Banned
Most of the writing staff are TV writers which is the problem.

I think they need to realise that the title doesn't have to be defended at every show. I've been watching nWo era WCW PPVs every night and the structure of a lot of those shows is great. Start with the cruisers to get hyped and every match other than the occasional lucha multi-man tag has a reason to exist in terms of some story. Not only that, but the world title wasn't always defended. What would we prefer, Daniel Bryan V Kane in the stupidest story in wrestling today (even if I did enjoy their match at ER. Still a fan of backstage brawls.), or Evolution adding Sheamus to outnumber the Shield and Bryan continuing his storyline with HHH to join the Shield temporarily to take them out?

I don't believe that to be true. None of this screams like Russo unless Russo is just another word for "bad". For all the hate Russo gets, during his time in WWF and WCW, every match on a card had a reason for existing and was built up to. It rarely felt like "Oh shit we've got time to fill", even if their reason for being on the card was a terrible one (Oklahoma).

I don't know if the title has to be fefended every night, but every singles match the title holder is should be a title match, imo. If the title doesn't mean you can defeat other people, what is it for?

And while I don't know exactly what says "Russo", this is what it means to me: doing wacky stuff, either in or out of the ring, for the sheer belief that people aren't invested in this show because of wrestling, but because of wacky stuff. It is putting the script before the booking, so to speak.

Honestly, they had the perfect story for Bryan vs Del Rio right in their faces: Kane is missing, so he can interfere at any time; Bryan also has to worry about Brie; it's Cinco de Mayo, so good girl Steph thought it would be apropriate to give Del Rio the title shot.

"But after last night's Extreme Rules, Daniel is hurt, he is in no condition to defend his titles"
"Well, these people wanted him as the champion, we tried to protect him, but that's what champions do"
"Don't worry Brie, Alberto Del Rio is a great wrestler and I am still not a hundred percent, but the people got me this title and I refuse to lose it!" *corny Bryan pop*

After the match they could even have had the car segment, Bryan goes to the car, Brie is right there besides him proud of his little goat for retaining the title against the odds, and the car doesn't start. This is weird. Bryan goes to front, pop the hood, "hum, this was disconected", reconects, close the hood, Kane is on the back seat, it goes just like it went last night.

It's wrasslin'. people cheat, outside factors cause distractions, the ref. turns his back; putting the title on the line means one roll-up after Kane's pyros go off, Bryan loses the titles.

People talking about heels ignoring DQs, why shouldn't they? These matches mean anything. RVD won, stuck upside down the ropes, his eye destroyed, completely humiliated while Cesaro walked out like a boss. If I was a heel in kayfabe, every non-title match, I would start getting out of the ring and sucker punching the opponent with a chair shot, DQ happens, nobody cares, just keep destroying the dude on the floor, smile, act like you won and walk out. You lost nothing and you came out stronger after the match. The guy who won is on the floor barely alive. Congrats on the victory.

Sblargh

Banned
Hmm. I mean more in our community. But the live crowd wasn't the best it could have been.

I enjoyed it, but the match was cold because the Wyatts are losing to Cena nonstop since Wrestlemania, so there's no reason to believe they will be protected over the Shield; and it was kind of clear that the match was a setup for interference, either by Cena or by Evolution and while the match itself was good, it really wasn't about the Wyatts; distraction, victory, go away, prepare to lose to Cena the next day.

If you want to start a non-WWE non-TNA wrestling viewing club in this thread, I'll back you. We set a show to be watched every 2 weeks, discuss it, and see what happens.

I'd prefer stuff that was relatively cheap to access, but we can play it by ear.

Sounds great, I need an excuse to expand my horizons. Reminds me, I need to finish off a few Progress shows.

In other news:
#KINGOFLEAN

Sblargh

Banned

I second this, by the way.

Top Bottom