• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

JESUS CHRIST @ that Tomodatchi thread, holy shit that thing is a minefield

Why on earth are people asking Nintendo to get involved in that nonsense

I just hope Nintendo doesn't cancel the game. I've been stocking up on WWE Miis in anticipation.

image-19.jpg

image-20.jpg

I don't even make Miis, but if I was ever to get Tomodachi, I'd definitely take a crack at it. Part of me wants to say that I don't even have time for that game; I do still try and play Animal Crossing regularly.

that's what happens when nerds with no contact with other human beings live through videogames.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't cancel the game. I've been stocking up on WWE Miis in anticipation.

IMO (which stays here because that goddamn thread is gonna be a graveyard);

I think it was an oversight on Nintendo's part, they got caught extremely offguard by the backlash (which I believe was wholly undeserved), and people are asking them to take a stand as a company which they absolutely should not do.

I doubt they'll cancel it, but I bet we don't get any sequels.

I haven't been following that thread in particular but I don't think its totally unexpected to see a backlash on a life sim type game that suppose to star the player but then limits choices. Nintendo has been slow to learn to think globally in a lot of instances, Animal Crossing and Pokemon games had limited Skin pigments for your avatar.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I find it amazing when non-fans say wrestling is fake. Like they think they're enlightened and that everyone around them just doesn't realize that Vince McMahon is playing them all like fools. Let me come down from the Heavens to let you know... Wrestling is fake.

Fucking Prometheus of youtube, man.

I find it amazing when non-fans say wrestling is fake. Like they think they're enlightened and that everyone around them just doesn't realize that Vince McMahon is playing them all like fools. Let me come down from the Heavens to let you know... Wrestling is fake.

Fucking Prometheus of youtube, man.

Just remind them that every single television show they watch on TV is scripted in some way. Duck Dynasty is faker than Raw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_n3s85walYg1rpriqbo1_1280.png

Edit: why does Vader sound so old in his shoots? Too much old man saliva in his mouth. Sting's only 3 years younger, and I can understand him clear and completely. And he screamed all the time, so you'd think he'd have a more hoarse voice.

IMO (which stays here because that goddamn thread is gonna be a graveyard);

I think it was an oversight on Nintendo's part, they got caught extremely offguard by the backlash (which I believe was wholly undeserved), and people are asking them to take a stand as a company which they absolutely should not do.

I doubt they'll cancel it, but I bet we don't get any sequels.

The original #Miiquality movement was not about protesting, but to raise awareness for a potential sequel or maybe a patch because the GAFer who founded it understood that the game was done and changing it now wasn't going to happen.

Then the Internet got a hold of it and everything exploded when Nintendo declined to change the game immediately when that's not even what #Miiquality was first about.

For me Tomodachi Life is gonna be all about sticking Daniel Bryan and Kane in an apartment and watching them coexist.

I should make some Bella Twin Miis. Should be easy. I'll only need to make one and then clone it and make her bigger and more materialistic.

Ooh! An Alexa Bliss Mii too!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why is it, if you want to watch garbage car crash WCW from like 99-2000 onwards, like EVERY nitro and thunder is online in some way or another.

But if I want to watch 92 or 93 WCW worldwides, there ain't shit but a couple matches. And half the PPVs are missing. VCRs existed back then so wtf. I can watch Ernest Miller's garbage but have to go hunting for Rude/Vader promos?

strobogo

Banned
Lol at people saying Sheamus booked himself to win in 18 seconds at WM

"Hey fella, I think I should win as soon as the bell rings." "God damn, pal, that's a god damn good idea god damn it!"

Why is it, if you want to watch garbage car crash WCW from like 99-2000 onwards, like EVERY nitro and thunder is online in some way or another.

But if I want to watch 92 or 93 WCW worldwides, there ain't shit but a couple matches. And half the PPVs are missing. VCRs existed back then so wtf. I can watch Ernest Miller's garbage but have to go hunting for Rude/Vader promos?

Because by 99 people probably wanted to fast forward through the garbage and watch the 20 or so decent minutes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the crazy things about Vader, and it depends on how you feel about your old school face/heels thing if it's good or bad, but it's crazy to note.
tumblr_n2mbplJoH21tt2jjyo1_250.gif

People popped for the guy. Like there was a visible fanbase for Vader, people doing the V in the crowd. There's always heels who people liked, dating back to like, I'd say the 80s when people began to realize what wrestling was. But it was always very subdued. You'd see a kid doing the Rick Rude motion at most, or some other kid doing the Dibiase laugh. But Vader just straight up had a fanbase in WCW. Kind of weird.

On the opposite end, Rude got so much heat in WCW that he had to wait to cut promos.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One of the crazy things about Vader, and it depends on how you feel about your old school face/heels thing if it's good or bad, but it's crazy to note.

People popped for the guy. Like there was a visible fanbase for Vader, people doing the V in the crowd. There's always heels who people liked, dating back to like, I'd say the 80s when people began to realize what wrestling was. But it was always very subdued. You'd see a kid doing the Rick Rude motion at most, or some other kid doing the Dibiase laugh. But Vader just straight up had a fanbase in WCW. Kind of weird.

On the opposite end, Rude got so much heat in WCW that he had to wait to cut promos.

Yeah I was watching Vader/Sting from I think some 94 show and the crowd was chanting to kill Sting. And Sting didn't have that 'divided fanbase' Cener has, Vader just had his dudes, people who loved him no matter what. Because he was fucking awesome.

been watching a Storage Wars marathon, goddamn this show never gets old. part actual knowledge, getting to know new stuff, part great banter and zingers.

another one, Counting Cars. the main dude looks an awesome motherfucker. chill as fuck, calls everyone "brother", insane car knowledge.

and yes, Vader was fuckin awesome.

Friends, I have 4 finals in the span of 36 hours. I already had 2 in the last 12 hours. In the last 24 hours I only slept for 2 hours. I probably won't be sleeping much more than that in the next 24 either. I'm a walking corpse.

Someone please post an inspiring Cena or Joker Sting promo to lift up my spirits ;_;

Friends, I have 4 finals in the span of 36 hours. I already had 2 in the last 12 hours. In the last 24 hours I only slept for 2 hours. I probably won't be sleeping much more than that in the next 24 either. I'm a walking corpse.

Someone please post an inspiring Cena or Joker Sting promo to lift up my spirits ;_;
#allexamseverything

Man God

Non-Canon Member
been watching a Storage Wars marathon, goddamn this show never gets old. part actual knowledge, getting to know new stuff, part great banter and zingers.

another one, Counting Cars. the main dude looks an awesome motherfucker. chill as fuck, calls everyone "brother", insane car knowledge.

and yes, Vader was fuckin awesome.

Funny considering this thread just had a conversation about people complaining it's not real but Storage Wars goes too damn far in its fixing to be good. According to one disgruntled former member of the cast the vast majority of all of the interesting items are placed by producers after the fact. What's the point then? Oh hey I found this piece of shit because our production assistant found so and so the expert to be on film to advertise his or her store.

I'm not saying the show can't be entertaining at times, it can be, but that revelation just ruined it for me. There's so much more excitement in finding out that these people took a gamble and found nothing, or that they found something amazing and tossed it away thinking it was junk or well, just about any real scenario that they just don't do.

Funny considering this thread just had a conversation about people complaining it's not real but Storage Wars goes too damn far in its fixing to be good. According to one disgruntled former member of the cast the vast majority of all of the interesting items are placed by producers after the fact. What's the point then? Oh hey I found this piece of shit because our production assistant found so and so the expert to be on film to advertise his or her store.

I'm not saying the show can't be entertaining at times, it can be, but that revelation just ruined it for me. There's so much more excitement in finding out that these people took a gamble and found nothing, or that they found something amazing and tossed it away thinking it was junk or well, just about any real scenario that they just don't do.

had to be Dave Hester, he's not on season 4.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
YUUUUUUUPP!

Another really bad one was the Amish Mafia one. More staged than Total Divas. Not a single thing remotely close to reality ever happens. The show is not only scripted but everyone on it including the regular folk are playing a part. It's basically a way to make an actual show and pay people peanuts for doing it.

Raw64life

I don't even have to click on that thread to know what kind of nonsense is going on in there.

iBttVTc23CHyf.gif

Amazing... but so dangerous when it's not perfectly timed

I thought PTP should've done this when it looked like they might be going somewhere. Maybe the Usos could start doing this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think part of why I like early WCW and WWF so much is that you have so few guys. Like you've got jobbers for days, you've got a couple up and comers, and you've got your stars. But because the roster is so weak at that time from people coming and going. The guys you got, they feel like mega stars. Like, they're the guys that WCW and WWF said, 'No, these are our guys. We're building around them.' It would make sense because it's why I hate Attitude Era so much. It's just too much. It's Russo booking where there's so many faces, so many angles, so many matches that were supposed to 'mean something' that made it so everything lost that something.

Of course, it only really works in a PPV format because how many jobber squashes can I watch a week. But like the whole Rude/Vader thing in WCW when they were getting ready to fight each other. It's fucking incredible. It's like the heel version of mega powers exploding. It never happens, but the idea of it is so enticing. It's what made Owen vs Bret feel so special. All that build around Owen, all that build around Bret. Then the next month, you'd see another familiar face. The Smackdown Six kind of felt like the inbetween of that style of booking and Attitude Era booking due to all the midcard stuff going on.

Of course, the poor implementation of this booking method would be modern day WWE and Hulkamania era where you built EVERYTHING around one guy. Unfortunately, that seems to be the most successful.

Sblargh

Banned
Watching NXT now.
Poor Emma. :(

Hopefully this leads to her breaking up with Santino and burning the pink cobra, who is adorable, but shouldn't be costing her matches. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWF's roster is so incredibly deep in the mid to late 80's that half of those jobbers and most of the lower mid card are huge regional names/the best guy from their territory. JCP also had a megacard like feel with the various promotions it absorbed/culled talent from.

strobogo

Banned
I think part of why I like early WCW and WWF so much is that you have so few guys. Like you've got jobbers for days, you've got a couple up and comers, and you've got your stars. But because the roster is so weak at that time from people coming and going. The guys you got, they feel like mega stars. Like, they're the guys that WCW and WWF said, 'No, these are our guys. We're building around them.' It would make sense because it's why I hate Attitude Era so much. It's just too much. It's Russo booking where there's so many faces, so many angles, so many matches that were supposed to 'mean something' that made it so everything lost that something.

Of course, it only really works in a PPV format because how many jobber squashes can I watch a week. But like the whole Rude/Vader thing in WCW when they were getting ready to fight each other. It's fucking incredible. It's like the heel version of mega powers exploding. It never happens, but the idea of it is so enticing. It's what made Owen vs Bret feel so special. All that build around Owen, all that build around Bret. Then the next month, you'd see another familiar face. The Smackdown Six kind of felt like the inbetween of that style of booking and Attitude Era booking due to all the midcard stuff going on.

Of course, the poor implementation of this booking method would be modern day WWE and Hulkamania era where you built EVERYTHING around one guy. Unfortunately, that seems to be the most successful.

That Attitude Era is the anomaly in WWE history. Actually, it really wasn't. It was still built on the shoulders of one top guy (Austin), but since Austin got hurt, Rock got to share the weight. It's been the McMahon promoting style since Vince's grandpa was doing boxing shows. Had Austin's body held up and Rock not wanted to move on to movies, they'd probably still be around at the top of the cards. That's just how the McMahon family works.

WWF's roster is so incredibly deep in the mid to late 80's that half of those jobbers and most of the lower mid card are huge regional names/the best guy from their territory. JCP also had a megacard like feel with the various promotions it absorbed/culled talent from.

Yea, most of the lower card guys in WWE in the 80s were big regional stars. It's pretty crazy.

Rapstah

I can now confirm that all of the Scott Steiner animations used for the Scott Steiner DLC character in WWE 2k14 are taken from Smackdown! Here comes the Pain.

Vader had presence. Dude stepped into throng you know shit was going down. Just like with Brock today . Super athletic as well

Shame his WWF run didn't work out

Raw64life

I can now confirm that all of the Scott Steiner animations used for the Scott Steiner DLC character in WWE 2k14 are taken from Smackdown! Here comes the Pain.

I'm pretty sure there are still animations from when the Hardy Boyz did mocap for THQ in 1999 in the game.

bjork

The first photo of Vader that I ever saw was of him doing what appears to be a rock bottom on Sting, iirc it accompanied an article about how tough he was or whatever. When I finally found WCW programming, he was on there laying fools out. It's hard not to like a bad guy that's that bad. It isn't like he's some shitty person going around trying to fuck a guy's wife or be a cowardly heel or whatever. He's bad because if he wants to fuck you up, he's gonna. And you can't stop him. That's great.

Sblargh

Banned
Maybe we miss that, someone having a name before stepping up to WWE.

It's what kickstarted this whole Bryan thing, you can't pretend this guy is a jobber when he has been voted wrestler of the year before. And you go to Youtube and see him having crazy good matches.

It's also why we feel protective over NXT guys; maybe with the internet, the territories are what you choose to watch outside WWE (including NXT to a extent), so an infamous "internet darling" comes along, you have to treat him as a kind of regional star, you can't make a fool out of him without creating this dissonance between how you want the wrestler to be perceived and how he is actually perceived.

The animation when you press the grapple button but there's no one to grab is still the same as in WWF Smackdown!. The first game.

There was a time where the Smackdown series were actual showpiece games for the PS2. I still don't understand how fucking lazy they got with the later entries and still are.

Top Bottom