• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tumblr_n5alpxU29O1qk3agvo1_1280.jpg
Needs to happen.

How do I put this.... If you watched Cole's commentary on the DVDs he did with Foley, you'd know Cole is actually a pretty knowledgeable, entertaining guy. If Renee was on Raw, she'd be saying the same thing Cole said. She'd be hearing the same whispers from Vince.

While I haven't heard those, I'm still skeptical. After all, I've listened to Michael Cole since his WWF debut and have never liked him, even when the commentary was good overall.

Cole actually knows the names of moves. Their proper names, as well. So, while he CAN correctly call a saito suplex or a backdrop driver, what he's ACTUALLY going to call them is a 'throw'.

Really can't wait for Vince to let H's take over the whole shebang, for good or worse.

strobogo

Banned
Needs to happen.

It's really weird that Punk's situation has really not been mentioned on screen except for that one Paul Heyman promo, which only made sense if you knew why he wasn't on TV, which hadn't ever been mentioned on TV. It really hasn't even been mentioned in passing. Punk just vanishes off TV and no one talks about it. No injury angle, no one taking credit for it, no explanation whatsoever.

Cole actually knows the names of moves. Their proper names, as well. So, while he CAN correctly call a saito suplex or a backdrop driver, what he's ACTUALLY going to call them is a 'throw'.

Really can't wait for Vince to let H's take over the whole shebang, for good or worse.

While I have no doubt that Cole could be better, I'm still skeptical of his ability to be all that good.

Also, what's the idea behind not calling the moves properly? Is it just to make it easier to get into?

Rapstah

If they'd used the CM Punk situation for heat a couple of times I don't think people would be thinking about is as much as they do. Instead I'd be expecting constant CM Punk chants for Payback and that's not helping anyone.
While I have no doubt that Cole could be better, I'm still skeptical of his ability to be all that good.

Also, what's the idea behind not calling the moves properly? Is it just to make it easier to get into?
Commentators go through phases where they're told to not call the match and call the storyline surrounding the match instead. Of course most matches on Raw don't have storylines surrounding them in the first place so that's kind of ridiculous today.

Alucard

Banned
Shelley is responsible for bringing terrible chain wrestling to the indies.

But he still has the Kevin Nash storyline. Which means he has one thing better than Ernest Miller. Who is garbage in all ways.

Can you point me in the direction of what constitutes "good" chain wrestling? I generally like the chain work I see in ROH. The first 3-5 minutes of AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal were magical.

It's really weird that Punk's situation has really not been mentioned on screen except for that one Paul Heyman promo, which only made sense if you knew why he wasn't on TV, which hadn't ever been mentioned on TV. It really hasn't even been mentioned in passing. Punk just vanishes off TV and no one talks about it. No injury angle, no one taking credit for it, no explanation whatsoever.

That's how it usually happens, to be honest. People just disappear. It's what happens when people get injured, go on vacation, or switch companies back in the day. The only time I feel like it's super-obvious is when someone gets injured on TV or they are gone to shoot a movie.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can you point me in the direction of what constitutes "good" chain wrestling? I generally like the chain work I see in ROH. The first 3-5 minutes of AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal were magical.

That's more Boootaaay's bag. I think it's all pretty awful, but it's exceptionally worse by a lot of indie guys who just think chain wrestling is holding the opponent's hand while you do something

XenoRaven

Vince doesn't want his wrestling company associated with wrestling.

I mean Vince is a billionaire and I don't even make six figures so maybe he knows better than I do, but even as a kid I loved when they called the moves. I loved learning what they were so that I could eventually call them out myself when I saw them. I also enjoyed figuring out what made a move a "suplex". I feel we are robbing the younger generation of this joy.

Alucard

Banned
That's more Boootaaay's bag. I think it's all pretty awful, but it's exceptionally worse by a lot of indie guys who just think chain wrestling is holding the opponent's hand while you do something

Okay. I would say Mike Quackenbush is a much worse offender of this style of chain work than Alex Shelley.

Alucard

Banned
Vince doesn't want his wrestling company associated with wrestling.

I mean Vince is a billionaire and I don't even make six figures so maybe he knows better than I do, but even as a kid I loved when they called the moves. I loved learning what they were so that I could eventually call them out myself when I saw them. I also enjoyed figuring out what made a move a "suplex". I feel we are robbing the younger generation of this joy.

Seriously. Vince wants to say that black is white. He wants to call a duck a chicken. It makes no sense.

"It's not wrestling! Seriously!"

Dat chain wrestling;

Terry Funk (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - NWA World Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 1976/06/11)

It's partly because they only want named moves they can copyright (so you end up with guys like Sheamus having half a dozen named moves) and partly because Vince is fucking weird about wrasslin'. I think he associates detailed play-by-play with the southern style, which he's known to despise.

Rapstah

Cesaro said this weird thing on Jericho's podcast. He said that the legendary German WWF/WWE commentator of 30 years had told him that because of German anti-violence policies, he was at one point told to call the storylines around the match instead of the moves.

That was clearly Vince (indirectly) telling him that and not some kind of German censorship board, but Cesaro and perharps the dude himself clearly understood it as the latter.

Are these Yoshi Tatsu chants on NXT because they actually respect him and want more for him? Or are they because they're smarky smarks who are trolling? I suspect the latter, but hope for the former :(.

Yoshi really does deserve better.

Rapstah

Are these Yoshi Tatsu chants on NXT because they actually respect him and want more for him? Or are they because they're smarky smarks who are trolling? I suspect the latter, but hope for the former :(.

Yoshi really does deserve better.

I don't think it's smarky smarks because they also did respect most of the dudes who were in the ring at the same time. They loved all of the last three dudes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm just posting here to tell you that Man God is dead.

From now on I'll only be referred to as THE TOTAL PACKAGE.

(There are so many fake funerals in the last two and a half years in WCW.)

Alucard

Banned
At my buddy's house now. Gonna see if we can fire up some Liger matches reffed by Tiger Hattori to get jacked for tonight's show.

strobogo

Banned
That's how it usually happens, to be honest. People just disappear. It's what happens when people get injured, go on vacation, or switch companies back in the day. The only time I feel like it's super-obvious is when someone gets injured on TV or they are gone to shoot a movie.

Those people are usually not the second biggest star in the company when they vanish.

Dat chain wrestling;

Terry Funk (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - NWA World Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 1976/06/11)

It's partly because they only want named moves they can copyright (so you end up with guys like Sheamus having half a dozen named moves) and partly because Vince is fucking weird about wrasslin'. I think he associates detailed play-by-play with the southern style, which he's known to despise.

Vince actually IS a mark for that style, as he grew up in the South and with that style. But it isn't what made money for his dad and himself.

We really need a GIF that represents someone returning to this thread after a ban.

stro, I know you have something.

I have a few that might work:

iuOobt5OfxIOA.gif

ikGl8FQ3Oksxu.gif

i0xub1rAO0DLs.gif

iUW6ME9sezzCb.gif

DMczaf

I really like Wesker's gif for long bans, like 1+ month.

This is when someone links to a gaming forum thread.

Also, we really need a gif of that moment on Raw when Sid came out during Bret's crybaby promo and randomly yells out "I DONT KNOW SHIT CRYBABAH!"

Top Bottom