• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
New Shinskage
tumblr_n5dzace0Rq1ts76alo1_1280.jpg

Rapstah

For the New Year's Revolution re-cap at Royal Rumble 2006, they basically edit out John Cena kicking out of the first Spear and edit in the crowd booing the cash-in. John Cena then enters to a way worse reaction than Edge.

They also do the WCW 1991 thing where the commentators have to pretend that something clearly hanging in wires from the ceiling is a "mysterious" floating object.

Rapstah

Just catching up on NXT right now. Was this weeks El Local Ricardo Rodriguez, or someone else again?

Ricardo Rodriguez. They called El Generico El Local once (probably by mistake, El Generico makes way more sense to call a random luchador) and Rodriguez and Tyson Kidd were once the tag team of El Local #1 and El Local #2.

Hasney

Nah, the Sami El Local thing was to get to Neville, so he just donned that outfit.

Glad to see Ricardo getting another stab though, he's great for an agile big man.

Rapstah

Nah, the Sami El Local thing was to get to Neville, so he just donned that outfit.

You mean Dallas.

Edit: There's no heat for the Edge/Cena match at RR 2006. Is it because they put it after the Rumble match? People just lightly boo both guys.

Hasney

Being on after the Rumble seemed to make the crowd dead a bit, but the crowd also treated it like a heel/heel match.

It was basically treated as the warm up match before the WHC anyway and the only reason they put them on after the Rumble is because of the closing spot.

Aiii

So not worth it
So watching Global Wars and ROH's lighting is still shit.

Why are they so shit at lighting still? Buy some goddamn spotlights!

It's partly the building - it's a damn hockey rink. The lighting in Hammerstein next week will surely be a lot better.

Also, Sinclair are finally investing in better production for ROH, but that won't be until their first non-NJPW UStream iPPV next month in Nashville.

Aiii

So not worth it
I did notice the production increased alot since I last watched RoH well over a year ago. Especially the camera angles are a lot better, the overhead camera is great.

Rapstah

Weird, Angle/Henry is heel vs. heel too!

Are the Undertaker lightning bolts seriously added in post-production? The purple lightning bolts look like a late 70s special effect.

ROH's production values seem pretty similar to when I first watched a show seven years ago.

Right, but it's taken them a while to get back to this level - the HDNet ROH TV show was the best the ROH production has ever been, but since that deal ended and ROH got bought by Sinclair they've been trying to do production on a shoestring budget, so minor improvements have been the order of the day, rather than any big, product-enhancing production changes. It looks like they're finally willing to spend some money, though, so fingers crossed.

geomon

You'd think being bought by a big company would lead to better production values for ROH, but nope.

haha, remember when ROH first made the announcement about the Sinclair purchase and that meant ROH would no longer be seen as indie because Sinclair is broadcasted into 24 percent of American homes and now there'll be bidding wars for talent between WWE, TNA, and ROH?

Sigh, good times.

Rapstah

I'm actively (that's right, Stro) looking for WWF logos in WWE Smackdown! Shut your Mouth and I've already found one. Someone has very carefully only used footage from after the name change for all videos I've seen so far though which is sort of impressive. I guess WWE makes the video packages and not Yuke's.

Alucard

Banned
It's partly the building - it's a damn hockey rink. The lighting in Hammerstein next week will surely be a lot better.

Also, Sinclair are finally investing in better production for ROH, but that won't be until their first non-NJPW UStream iPPV next month in Nashville.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes down and how it'll look.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seeing pictures of Nakamura and Okada at the ROH show really hurts their image. Like Liger's fine, kinda like when Muta went and it's kind of like 'oh it's just a legend going to help young kids out.' Even Kobashi looked weird in ROH.

But it just makes them look like garbage. There was a reason Vince sent guys like King to ECW instead of guys like Bret or Shawn. The closest you got was Bret/Funk. It tainted their image. This just looks like such a downgrade all around. I have no idea what NJPW is gaining out of this. Makes them look like yet another indie fed by comparison. Like Japanese wrestling isn't where it used to be buyrates-wise, but they're still the biggest company over there, and they're probably the second biggest pro wrestling promotion right now.

It ain't the territories anymore. It's too jarring to go from NJPW production to ROH production.

geomon

Seeing pictures of Nakamura and Okada at the ROH show really hurts their image. Like Liger's fine, kinda like when Muta went and it's kind of like 'oh it's just a legend going to help young kids out.' Even Kobashi looked weird in ROH.

But it just makes them look like garbage. There was a reason Vince sent guys like King to ECW instead of guys like Bret or Shawn. It tainted their image. This just looks like such a downgrade all around. I have no idea what NJPW is gaining out of this. Makes them look like yet another indie fed by comparison. Like Japanese wrestling isn't where it used to be buyrates-wise, but they're still the biggest company over there, and they're probably the second biggest pro wrestling promotion right now.

It ain't the territories anymore. It's too jarring to go from NJPW production to ROH production.

I think the lack of sleep has finally caught up with me cause that just made me giggle my fucking ass off.

I have no idea what NJPW is gaining out of this.

They want to expand internationally. They can't do that with WWE or TNA's help, no one really knows what Jarrett's GFW deal is about and doing a big New Japan tour of the US would be expensive as hell when they're finally turning a profit after years of Inoki/Yukes madness. What would you have them do? And jeez, if you think this makes them look like garbage, go back and watch those NJPW US shows they did in 2011 with JAPW.

Similarly, this is why they're running shows in Taiwan and Thailand, putting more into the FantasticaMania events and sending their top guys like Nakamura & Tanahashi to indies in the UK, Germany, Australia, Canada, etc.

Ithil

I'd wager that low rent hockey rink or not, a bunch more American/Canadian fans know about NJPW now than they did a few days ago. That can only be a good thing, since NJPW wants more international interest.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wouldn't the majority of people who watch ROH now already know who they are? The ROH fanbase is pretty much just diehard wrestling fans now. There's no crossover appeal.

Ithil

That's just an assumption based on them being hardcore fans. Judging by the reception they were most familiar with Liger and not nearly as familiar with the other NJPW guys as one would expect. Much of the crowd didn't seem to know all the signature spots and taunts, which they would if they followed New Japan.

They did seem to know Okada, probably because Okada has so much hype around him. Now this might be because it's in Toronto, and maybe New York will be different, but I imagine this was the first time seeing a lot of the NJPW guys for a good chunk of the crowd.

The fanbase for ROH has absolutely changed since they went to Sinclair. It's a little less in our wheelhouse and more general now.

...But our entranceway is still better popozao

I popped for Jado managing to get the Crossface of Jado on Tanahashi, but it got little reaction - Korakuen Hall would've lost their shit for that spot.

*edit, hey, Bronson, how was the CZW title match last night? Worth a watch?

*edit, hey, Bronson, how was the CZW title match last night? Worth a watch?

OMERTA

FUUUUUUUUCK NO. They got screwed over in the worst way by Masada not being there and Dickinson getting pulled. Watch for the finish. That's it. That crowd was not having it.

Ricardo Rodriguez. They called El Generico El Local once (probably by mistake, El Generico makes way more sense to call a random luchador) and Rodriguez and Tyson Kidd were once the tag team of El Local #1 and El Local #2.

I watched NXT this morning. Ricardo's outfit wasn't flattering. Either do the cardio to burn the love handles or wear an outfit that doesn't make you look um so pudgy.

Also, Charlotte isn't half bad in the ring. I'd like to see her up against the takeover opponent.

The women seem like the best workers right now in NXT.

I watched NXT this morning. Ricardo's outfit wasn't flattering. Either do the cardio to burn the love handles or wear an outfit that doesn't make you look um so pudgy.

Also, Charlotte isn't half bad in the ring. I'd like to see her up against the takeover opponent.

The women seem like the best workers right now in NXT.
Yep. Loving the addition of Alexa. Interested to see what this Veronica broad has when she debuts.

Alucard

Banned
I am definitely more interested in New Japan after the show last night. Will try to actively seek out their shows and pay for an iPPV here and there. Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Okada are the real deal. At the show, I could feel a change in speed and psychology when the New Japan guys had their matches. More methodical and WWE-paced than ROH-paced. It was really cool to experience and see that only 3 rows away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am definitely more interested in New Japan after the show last night. Will try to actively seek out their shows and pay for an iPPV here and there. Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Okada are the real deal. At the show, I could feel a change in speed and psychology when the New Japan guys had their matches. More methodical and WWE-paced than ROH-paced. It was really cool to experience and see that only 3 rows away.

And you didn't even get to see the Boma Ye. Such tragedy.

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DHIIUS2Ms

Ibushi's amazing, wish he had come with.

Jamie OD

If you're talking about the NXT angle where Sami disguises himself as a luchador to fight Bo Dallas then he was supposed to be El Local. Just nobody picked it up at the time because the El Local gimmick was only used once or twice before then.

Edit: Beaten. Sorry.

Rapstah

If you're talking about the NXT angle where Sami disguises himself as a luchador to fight Bo Dallas then he was supposed to be El Local. Just nobody picked it up at the time because the El Local gimmick was only used once or twice before then.

Edit: Beaten. Sorry.

Oh, so Sami Zayn was disguised as Ricardo Rodriguez?

Alucard

Banned
And you didn't even get to see the Boma Ye. Such tragedy.

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DHIIUS2Ms

Ibushi's amazing, wish he had come with.

I watched the Ibushi vs. El Generico match series that Bootaaay posted several months ago. He is indeed incredible.

The New Japan guys carry themselves like bigtime stars. Whereas guys like Taven, Lethal, Young etc act and give off the air that they are small-time wrestlers, Tanahashi, Nakamura and co carry themselves like stars. It's all in their mannerisms. They seem utterly focused on the match going on in the ring and not on just doing stuff to impress a crowd. It was amazing to be so close to guys who are legit heroes in their country.

Last night was the equivalent of Hogan, Savage, and Bret coming over to wrestle in a small promotion overseas somewhere. Just mind-blowing that ROH pulled off that deal.

Top Bottom