• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

tumblr_n5czsfnA891qlhor5o1_1280.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like how Steiners have this tough guy rep and people not wanting to mess with them even back in the 90s. But if you watch their matches with Varsity or Miracle Violence, they beat the fucking shit out of them. Gordy, Williams, Rotunda, and Spivey don't give a shit. That's like 4 of the baddest mother fuckers in wrestling

Buddy Rose was awesome, shame he couldn't stop himself from becoming super fat. Portland's a lot of fun, young Curt, Stan Stasiak, Karl Kox, Rip Oliver, Buddy Rose, etc. I just wish there was more footage available, that youtube channel's a great archive though.

They really should have used Buddy Rose to feud with Flair over the Nature Boy title instead of Buddy Landell. I can just imagine the insane back and forth promos.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to really consider the LEGIT SHOOK CAST brother.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If the Shookcast happens, it needs its own identity to make sense.

-- No news. Other shows do news and have legit sources, we don't want to waste peoples' time repeating news they can hear better elsewhere.

-- Keep it under an hour.

-- Review significant content, milestones, etc.

-- If possible, review "new" Network content as it releases, provide a "guide" for people with the Network.

As much as I like international stuff, there's merits to being a Network-only focused show - it ensures any Network subscriber can easily click on the show and see what we've been talking about. On the other hand, that ease of access would be absent reviewing indie or international shows, as they're not set in stone on the internet as much as we'd like.

-- No news. Other shows do news and have legit sources, we don't want to waste peoples' time repeating news they can hear better elsewhere.

-- If possible, review "new" Network content as it releases, provide a "guide" for people with the Network.

As much as I like international stuff, there's merits to being a Network-only focused show - it ensures any Network subscriber can easily click on the show and see what we've been talking about. On the other hand, that ease of access would be absent reviewing indie or international shows, as they're not set in stone on the internet as much as we'd like.

This comes back to the roundtable idea we bounced around for a while, where we all watch the same show and talk about it. Even easier now the Network is on.

Vylash

I vote for weekly Alexa Bliss and Eva Marie updates

Ithil

Noob question, what does Owen voice mean exactly?

The very quiet "serious" voices they use during segments now to denote how serious and important this is. Like they voices they used to talk about Owen Hart dying at Over The Edge, only that was an actual man dying and required a serious tone.

Using it for wrestling angles just makes the commentary boring and detracts from the potential excitement of whatever is happening. And it's so overused now that it has no impact as far as convincing us of the "seriousness" of whatever we're seeing.

So basically Review a Wai without all the first 20 minute banter? I could dig it. Mostly cuz I wanna know what everyone sounds like. I only heard Fex, Laser's and Sunny. Y'all sound like wimps, you need managers.

I can imagine Stro voice would sound like Axl Rose circa San Andreas DJ due to all the booze.

Also the reason why people do news is cause people wanna hear the personality's opinion of said news. That's what hooks me anyway. But it's your show so by all means.

There need to be more podcasts where dudes just watch wrestling and talk about it, rather than giving their obnoxious opinions on last night's PPV/TV, or their snarky take on some latest piece of news.

I'd love to check out this one, but I have other priorities next Saturday. Do they usually put these up right away after the event?

Yep, the on-demand replay should be available a few minutes after the event finishes broadcasting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You should put your podcast behind a subscription wall. Gaming side tells me that nothing on the internet should be free, and we should be thankful to give money to shmucks talking about nothing.

1) We should make a podcast with just ads

2) I think you can have various podcasts. One that does just reviews. Another that does news and reviews. As Dr Duncan Steel said, people like to listen to them to hear their opinion. Can get a nice mix.

3) Other wrestling message boards are poison and brutal. It is like you can't have an opinion other than x fed is great or agreeing with everyone else. This is still the best wrestling community on the internets. Suck it marks.

Apparently we will know by Thursday if WWE is staying on USA and Syfy. That's when the entirety of NBCU announces their fall lineup, and they may have wanted to make the announcement themselves.

Without Raw for the past month, USA would have slipped to the Number 6-7 cable network so you bet your ass they wanted to keep it.

Vince-McMahon-Money.jpg

Rapstah

Not that I know anything about how rights fees work, but there's still a chance that USA were the only ones who wanted Raw, right? Would that mean they would get about as much as the last time?

Aiii

So not worth it
Not that I know anything about how rights fees work, but there's still a chance that USA were the only ones who wanted Raw, right? Would that mean they would get about as much as the last time?

Or less, like last time nobody wanted them, but that's unlikely.

We know that Spike, Fox, and Turner were interested. To what extent we don't know, but whatever offer they had NBCU had the chance to match it. With those kind of players out there, it's likely they'll see an increase. Maybe not to the extent they wanted, but an increase nonetheless. And USA can afford to pay whatever they want if they want to keep it.

I heard that same-week replay rights for Raw and Smackdown were a big part of negotiations so hopefully that works out in their favor.

strobogo

Banned
So basically Review a Wai without all the first 20 minute banter? I could dig it. Mostly cuz I wanna know what everyone sounds like. I only heard Fex, Laser's and Sunny. Y'all sound like wimps, you need managers.

I can imagine Stro voice would sound like Axl Rose circa San Andreas DJ due to all the booze.

Also the reason why people do news is cause people wanna hear the personality's opinion of said news. That's what hooks me anyway. But it's your show so by all means.

I wish my voice was that garbled, glass filled, blood gargling mess of a voice as Axl in 1991.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, Buddy Rose really does cut some fantastic promos. So natural in front of a camera. Really rare during the territories days. Maybe not the most complex promos, but I don't think I've seen him flub a line yet.

There need to be more podcasts where dudes just watch wrestling and talk about it, rather than giving their obnoxious opinions on last night's PPV/TV, or their snarky take on some latest piece of news.

Yeah most podcasts I've listened to are people shitting on the booking. I'm in for the cast though, I'll bring that Northern English grit to the show, and also translate Adrian Neville promos.

We know that Spike, Fox, and Turner were interested. To what extent we don't know, but whatever offer they had NBCU had the chance to match it. With those kind of players out there, it's likely they'll see an increase. Maybe not to the extent they wanted, but an increase nonetheless. And USA can afford to pay whatever they want if they want to keep it.

I heard that same-week replay rights for Raw and Smackdown were a big part of negotiations so hopefully that works out in their favor.

WRESTLING IS BACK ON TNT AND TBS: THE SUPERSTATION

Only to be pre-empted by NBA games.

They would just put it on TBS if that's the case though. Anything to stop me from seeing those fucking Chrisley Knows Best commercials. Send that guy and his family to the favelas stat.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Too many cooks spoil the soup, I have a particular vision.

strobogo

Banned
I love that NONE of the name plates work for the entirety of COTC VII, yet they kept showing the blank plates for every match and promo segment anyway.

Man, Buddy Rose really does cut some fantastic promos. So natural in front of a camera. Really rare during the territories days. Maybe not the most complex promos, but I don't think I've seen him flub a line yet.

That's why the character worked, I think, he was real confident in his delivery. Did you see the video package where he cuts a promo from the beach? About 40:25 minutes into this episode;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVGLI4XZQnM

strobogo

Banned
Bronson should start a "How to poorly film terrible independent wrestling" podcast.

God damn, Sullivan/IRS took a LOT of liberties with young Big Poppa Pump at Clash 7. That's probably where he learned to murder jobbers from. Was Kevin Sullivan ever not a terrible wrestler? I've seen him as a body builder in Memphis, limited footage of his run as the devil in Florida, Varsity Club era, and Dungeon of Doom era. He was terrible at all of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's why the character worked, I think, he was real confident in his delivery. Did you see the video package where he cuts a promo from the beach? About 40:25 minutes into this episode;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVGLI4XZQnM

When I see a Flair promo, when I see a Dusty promo, etc, I go 'that guy's playing a character. They're doing a REALLY good job of it, but it's obvious they're playing a character.' Someone like Brody I think 'this guy seems legit into his character,' but he's a big, imposing dude so it made it more believable. Even in his best shape, Buddy Rose was a fat dude who didn't look like a playboy, but he IS his character and he pulls it off based solely on living the character. Like I think they gave him the gimmick and he just decided that's who he was from now on. It wasn't a gimmick. It was him. Super old school.

I read that he pretty much carried Portland wrestling on his back. I like the promo where he has a wheelbarrow with all the belts in it.

WRESTLING IS BACK ON TNT AND TBS: THE SUPERSTATION

Only to be pre-empted by NBA games.

They would just put it on TBS if that's the case though. Anything to stop me from seeing those fucking Chrisley Knows Best commercials. Send that guy and his family to the favelas stat.
I'm pretty sure class not ass has been renewed for another season unfortunately.

Top Bottom