• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Hey look we lost Mr.Awesome because he called someone a beta. Some mods just can't handle the ribs I guess.

Don't ban me Y2Kev, I think Miz was the last great heel also.

Sblargh

Banned
Considering how close they are with the volume of hits we're getting, which is a respectable amount and has completely blown my expectations away, being almost tied by a number of 3 is ridiculous. Nothing should be that close.

Draw your own conclusions. Legitshook.com doesn't need hits to be successful, but it's nice to see it being visited often by lots of people. It's a vanity project because I feel there needs to be more reverence and care taken of the reviews our community does. I love the reviews, I read EVERY SINGLE ONE of them at some point because I genuinely enjoy the writing and visual aides.

Man, I kind of want to do some reviews, but, you know, I only found out about wrestling, like, two months ago, I would probably suck.
Also, I'm really easily entertained, my reviews would be like "I like everything and I don't know why".

strobogo

Banned
Man, I kind of want to do some reviews, but, you know, I only found out about wrestling, like, two months ago, I would probably suck.
Also, I'm really easily entertained, my reviews would be like "I like everything and I don't know why".

It'd be interesting to see reviews from someone with fresh eyes who hasn't been jaded by 20 years of disappointment, shitty wrestlers, and bad angles. I think it would be interesting to see someone like that review classic stuff and see if they agree with how good it is and why. And if they understand why.

Sblargh

Banned
It'd be interesting to see reviews from someone with fresh eyes who hasn't been jaded by 20 years of disappointment, shitty wrestlers, and bad angles.

I could try doing a review of either wrestlemania 1 or summerslam 88, two PPVs I really liked and I don't know why.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I think there's definitely room for people that will give all content and earnest look instead of coming in with preconceived notions.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Yeap, I've been watching wrestling since I was 4, so I expect the major promotions with story lines to be garbage and am pleasantly surprised when it is watchable or when it is "good"

I think that's why I prefer promotions where the wrestling comes first and "story" second even though I come to wrestling for the soap opera elements as well.

2 gif story: Inoki hates love

iC3VuyjXB0HP7.gif

ikv4dHykdQMmp.gif

Ithil

I got into wrestling second, I played a WWF video game first and wanted to watch it on TV after that. People's voices often did not sound like how I'd imagined.
Though I had seen it a couple of times before that, just never followed it.

strobogo

Banned
Yeap, I've been watching wrestling since I was 4, so I expect the major promotions with story lines to be garbage and am pleasantly surprised when it is watchable or when it is "good"

I think that's why I prefer promotions where the wrestling comes first and "story" second even though I come to wrestling for the soap opera elements as well.

I like SOME soap opera stuff. NJPW and indies are so dry because if there are storylines at all, they are as barebones as possible. I don't need full blown Attitude Era nonsense, but stuff like Dustin vs Stud Stable, Austin vs Hart are the best ways to do storylines for my tastes. But I also enjoy crazy and cartoony shit as long as it is done well.

Sephzilla

I've mostly been a WWF guy since I was a kid. Watched WCW from time to time but not as much. I don't have that much time to devote to watching numerous other feds though.

Sblargh

Banned
I think there's definitely room for people that will give all content and earnest look instead of coming in with preconceived notions.

In a way, I think I am the perfect WWE mark, because I got into wrestling in a period I was devouring all of the documentaries of Netflix, so I watched the NWO one because, silly me, I thought was a real documentary made by a third party investigating the downfall of a wrestling corporation. And halfway through I realized I was watching basically a long commercial, but also finding everything cool and stuff. So then I went to watch the Rock documentary, then the Orton one, then the Mankind one, I watched, like, the top 50 moments of raw and a 50 years of WWE thing; finally I watched the triple H one and only then I watched my first ever Monday Night RAW, which was the one with Bryan climbing on the top of the cage.

It was love at first sight.

Thinking back I'm pretty sure I got into wrestling through a game first like Ithil and followed it up from there, I imagine those that play the modern WWE games get put off wrestling for life, another strike against Yuke's poor showings.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In a way, I think I am the perfect WWE mark, because I got into wrestling in a period I was devouring all of the documentaries of Netflix, so I watched the NWO one because, silly me, I thought was a real documentary made by a third party investigating the downfall of a wrestling corporation. And halfway through I realized I was watching basically a long commercial, but also finding everything cool and stuff. So then I went to watch the Rock documentary, then the Orton one, then the Mankind one, I watched, like, the top 50 moments of raw and a 50 years of WWE thing; finally I watched the triple H one and only then I watched my first ever Monday Night RAW, which was the one with Bryan climbing on the top of the cage.

It was love at first sight.
I think you should leverage this unique position to do reviews if you feel you have the time commitment and passion for it. There's a LOT of cool shit out there that is awesome to experience for the first time.

Sblargh

Banned
I think you should leverage this unique position to do reviews if you feel you have the time commitment and passion for it. There's a LOT of cool shit out there that is awesome to experience for the first time.

Hey, you know what? You're on. This is also an opportunity to have other people pick for me what to watch.
What software do you use to make the jiffs? I think I'll start with wrestlemania 1 because Cindy Lauper is awesome.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Hey, you know what? You're on. This is also an opportunity to have other people pick for me what to watch.
What software do you use to make the jiffs? I think I'll start with wrestlemania 1 because Cindy Lauper is awesome.
You will be just as jaded as the rest of us in no time

One of us, one of us

You're a wrestling hipster.

Marvel

could never
Watched since I was about 5 or 6 years old, I'm 25 now. And the rest is history.

We did have wcw and wwf, though I watched and remembered more of wwf.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I started watching just before TLC 2011. My older brother told me about it as he heard about the CM Punk "Pipe Bomb" and explained how it was storyline based. A couple of RAWs later, I was hooked.

Surprisingly enough, even though I don't remember it, I must've watch a little bit of Smackdown when I was a kid back when it was on UPN, because when I first saw a picture of Eddie Guerrero, I found him to be familiar.

i had NJPW, UWFi and WCW growing up.

never payed the same attention to it since WCW died.

probably saw more wrestling 1998 than every year combined since.

Rapstah

I should have somewhere to review the Smackdown video game series chronologically because I'm basically doing that on my own anyway and no one is around to hear my hilarious inner monologue and observations.

Finished the Beyond Wrestling show - well worth it for $5, Deej vs AR Fox was a lot of fun, I very much enjoyed Buxx Belmar vs Mike Bailey and there were some fun multi-man tags as well. Match of the night has to be Timothy Thatcher vs Biff Busick. Excellent wrassle contest. Thatcher was real methodical working over Busick's arm and kept transitioning back into the armbar. They exchanged some stiff strikes towards the end, but Busick couldn't put the power in due to his injured arm, so he instead kept trying to sleeper choke Thatcher out, which led into a great finishing stretch. Good stuff and, as I said, well worth the $5 asking price;

http://lookmanofans.com/store/deals/

Picture perfect enziguri from Chris Dickinson;

Dickinson.gif

Thatcher with a gutwrench suplex, holds on and transitions into a Fujiwara armbar;

Thatcher.gif

Sick transition from a sleeper into a sideheadlock from Biff;

Busick.gif

strobogo

Banned

GifCam. Super super easy. I pick for you WCW Beach Blast 1992.

I can't even imagine coming into wrestling in the last few years. So much of it has been such garbage that I can't see anyone who wasn't locked in from childhood sticking around for more than one or two shows.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

I can't even imagine coming into wrestling in the last few years. So much of it has been such garbage that I can't see anyone who wasn't locked in from childhood sticking around for more than one or two shows.

I've been locked in since childhood and I can't watch Raw live anymore or Smackdown at all. I need to watch raw in 45 minutes or else I will just play on my phone or draw to entertain myself.

Sblargh

Banned

All right, Beach Blast 92 is my second one, then, I really want to use sunflower's bandwith to write an essay on Cindy Lauper now.

Also, I get the feeling I got lucky, with WM30 being the best since I don't know how many years. With the Network launching and NXT and hope for the future. I think if I had found out about it at a time where the main subject was how WWE was fucking up the summer of Punk, maybe I would not be hooked.

Thorakai

I got into wrestling second, I played a WWF video game first and wanted to watch it on TV after that. People's voices often did not sound like how I'd imagined.
Though I had seen it a couple of times before that, just never followed it.

I got into wrestling right after Triple H tore his quad. Played Smackdown! Just Bring It as my first WWE game and Triple H became one of my favorites because of the mystique about him. I had no idea who he was but he appeared to be on the same level as Austin and The Rock, his cool entrance just propelled him to the top for me. Was pretty psyched when he beat Jericho on his return.

Top Bottom