• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Browny

Banned
I suppose we'll find out in the next couple of weeks. If they tease a split, and Axel goes over, there's your answer. If Heyman calls him out on it, then we could expect Ryback vs Cesaro (which could be good fun).

Edit: New Page

1272201_o.gif

I can name exactly one memorable Ryback promo from his entire WWE run and that was the pre-recorded promo where he did a worked shoot on Cena.

Even if he didn't have "terrible booking" (which I would sooner define as "less than perfect booking" as he was protected in his losses mostly) I would say there isn't any meat to the character and it can't ever go anywhere.

Bully Ryback promos.
Promo against Shaemus.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ryback's downward spiral began when they couldn't figure out a way to keep him looking strong when they forced him into the Main Event at HIAC against Punk, but he couldn't win the belt.

There are memorable Ryback moments, many of them.
Who can forget him slapping the piss out of Archie?

Hasney

Ryback's downward spiral began when they couldn't figure out a way to keep him looking strong when they forced him into the Main Event at HIAC against Punk, but he couldn't win the belt.

There are memorable Ryback moments, many of them.
Who can forget him slapping the piss out of Archie?

Yup, because they had a terrible high level face roster. They just can't get the balance right.

Striker

Making it a HiaC match was the first issue. His first meaningful feud and it's in a cell and it's against the WWE champion. He loses in it by a low blow. What sense does that make?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason anyone remembers that is because of Archie though.

And to be honest, the only time I remember that is when someone posts the gif.

I liked the soup one also. It was good. Just because you try to block it out due to childhood trauma it doesn't happen!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Making it a HiaC match was the first issue. His first meaningful feud and it's in a cell and it's against the WWE champion. He loses in it by a low blow. What sense does that make?

Cage matches have gone to shit for many reasons, the main one being that a cage match is meant to give someone NO ESCAPE - usually people want these because a cowardly heel accepts countout losses, runs away ALL the time, etc. Nobody does this anymore. I hate how useless cage matches are. Instead they're used for either no good goddamn reason or to showcase one simple spot.

Cage matches have gone to shit for many reasons, the main one being that a cage match is meant to give someone NO ESCAPE - usually people want these because a cowardly heel accepts countout losses, runs away ALL the time, etc. Nobody does this anymore. I hate how useless cage matches are. Instead they're used for either no good goddamn reason or to showcase one simple spot.

The addition of a door as an escape route was terrible . Bring back the Blue Bars!

Aiii

So not worth it
I stand corrected, Bully Ryback was great.

I am now changing my stance to "Ryback didn't get over because he has shitty teeth"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I stand corrected, Bully Ryback was great.

I am now changing my stance to "Ryback didn't get over because he has shitty teeth"

He does have weird teeth. He legit looks like a mutant after a nuclear apocalypse.

Rapstah

Ryback didn't get over during his Heyman run because that was a Paul Heyman/CM Punk feud and Ryback was only there for CM Punk to have someone to beat after they realised Curtis Axel wasn't going to work for four PPVs in a row.

Edit: They're marketting Extreme Rules as a triple main event. Cena/Wyatt is the third. :/

jred2k

Them taking away his original music and his chant was his "pink trunks" moment. He obviously didn't fight back and now he's jobber-tier for life.

Sblargh

Banned
I think Ryback got humbled by his jobber status, said sorry to everyone and now he is one of the cool kids on the locker room.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know that asking for more name changes means they're going to enact a policy to not give any, ever. Don't ruin this for others, Huk.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You have a valid point, I'm way too bored.

You shoulda stuck with Buff though, those Bagwell avs were disguuusting, so good.

Did anyone watch Day of the Warrior after I recommended it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna watch the new Legends House at lunch. Don't want to, would rather watch it for the first time while I review/gif it, but...I dunno.

Did that CotC show stay on the Network and is it searchable?

Continuing his downward spiral :(

They talk about Chikara!!

The King Of Swing, Cesaro, is in the house! Paul Heyman's latest star has plenty to say about winning the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal, Sigi The Swisstank, the tag team Los Ice Creams, John Cena, who he'd love to work with if given the chance, and
and speaking five languages (and yes he proves it)!

And THAT is exactly why Ryback won't ever go anywhere and is supposedly disliked backstage.

Take advantage of the expertise of the veterans backstage, they -and especially Heyman I would say- know exactly what it takes to get over. Guy could have been huge, but in the end he was never more than his catchphrase.
You don't know the whole story. What if Ryback was thrusted on Heyman by management and Heyman wasn't happy about it? What if Ryback tried to endear himself to Heyman but Paul wasn't having any of it? What if Heyman just grinned and bore it through the ambiguously gay angle, that was clearly a rib, and told Ryback to eff off backstage and on the road?

You don't have all the facts. Stop assuming shite just because one of your faves is being maligned. He isn't even talking shots at Heyman either.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't appreciate what you are trying to say bean! You stop that right now, I make assumptions based on stupid dirt sheet rumors about people I like as much as about people I dislike dammit!

Wrestling Dontaku tomorrow, who's in?

NJPW, "WRESTLING DONTAKU", 2014.05.03
Fukuoka International Center

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

| 17:00 Japan | 10:00 EU | 09:00 UK | 04:00 East Coast | 01:00 West Coast |

*note, the pre-show match begins 20 minutes before the start times.

0. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tiger Mask, KUSHIDA & Yohei Komatsu vs Captain New Japan, Mascara Dorada, El Desperado & BUSHI
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
2. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)
3. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima © vs Wes Brisco
4. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs Ryusuke Taguchi
6. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs Tomoaki Honma
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Jushin Liger & Tetsuya Naito vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
8. Pro-Wrestling vs Jujitsu: Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
9. IWGP World Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs AJ Styles

Crazy that Ishii vs Honma is the match I'm most looking forward to on the card. I'm sure Okada vs AJ will deliver and the jr. title match is a good chance for Taguchi to remind people why they should give a damn about him again. Bucks vs Hooligans should be good and that 8-man tag. Not looking forward to the Gracies shit, though.

Ryback had a red hot angle that he was getting over on his own that was cut short far too early, to help Heyman because he couldn't make Curt Axel work. Oh, I bet that was Axel's fault too right? Because he's disliked backstage and didn't adhere to Heyman's words of wisdom?

Did you ever think that maybe the snake oil salesmen, that talks about his fly-by-night amateur hour website as though it was the next great start-up, is to blame?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrestling Dontaku tomorrow, who's in?

NJPW, "WRESTLING DONTAKU", 2014.05.03
Fukuoka International Center

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

| 17:00 Japan | 10:00 EU | 09:00 UK | 04:00 East Coast | 01:00 West Coast |

*note, the pre-show match begins 20 minutes before the start times.

0. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tiger Mask, KUSHIDA & Yohei Komatsu vs Captain New Japan, Mascara Dorada, El Desperado & BUSHI
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
2. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)
3. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima © vs Wes Brisco
4. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs Ryusuke Taguchi
6. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs Tomoaki Honma
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Jushin Liger & Tetsuya Naito vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
8. Pro-Wrestling vs Jujitsu: Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
9. IWGP World Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs AJ Styles

Crazy that Ishii vs Honma is the match I'm most looking forward to on the card. I'm sure Okada vs AJ will deliver and the jr. title match is a good chance for Taguchi to remind people why they should give a damn about him again. Bucks vs Hooligans should be good and that 8-man tag. Not looking forward to the Gracies shit, though.

Really bummed I won't be seeing this. Still moving, still saving money because I don't know my end costs. It hurts.

Thank god I won't be seeing the Gracies though. Get them outttttt. Okada vs Styles should be fun but not as good as their later matches this year will be once they gel better.

Goddamn shame they keep trotting out Manabu Nakanishi. Let the man age and heal, goddammit.

BHZ Mayor

Really bummed I won't be seeing this. Still moving, still saving money because I don't know my end costs. It hurts.

Thank god I won't be seeing the Gracies though. Get them outttttt. Okada vs Styles should be fun but not as good as their later matches this year will be once they gel better.

Goddamn shame they keep trotting out Manabu Nakanishi. Let the man age and heal, goddammit.

Saving money? Sunny is a poor confirmed.

Gracie's Co- main event

WTF.

Yeah, it's puzzling. Hopefully Nakamura & Sakuraba can get a good match out of them though.

Interested to see how Wes Brisco does against Kojima.

Yeah, it's kinda awkward seeing him wrestle these days, but I get the impression he continues to do it because he enjoys it and the fans love seeing him.

Top Bottom