• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

DMczaf

Godzilla was corny as fuuuuuuuuck. Most of the family stuff felt like a straight up disaster movie parody.

I liked the Godzilla scenes, but that human/family shit was straight up corny.

Godzilla was corny as fuuuuuuuuck. Most of the family stuff felt like a straight up disaster movie parody.

Worse than corny, it was boring. The ultimate sin.

Go home and be a family man, Godzilla. You lost this round.

strobogo

Banned

iXwHsyayTcrEO.gif

I agree. The scenes with monsters were dope. The scenes with humans (even Bryan Cranston) ranged from bad to eye rollingly stupid. It was a Godzilla movie, but with a bunch of bad American movie tropes and cliches instead of Japanese ones. Lacks the charm and craftsmanship of the Toho movie in my opinion. CGI destruction isn't nearly as satisfying as miniatures getting smashed to pieces.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I was wondering, US folk, does the WWE advertise the Network outside of their own programming? Do you get Google Ads about it? Do they play advertisements for it before YouTube? Hulu?

Anything like that? If they're trying to get some lapsed fans to buy the Network I would assume so, but do they?

Yeah, the scenes with Godzilla in them were pretty good. all 10 minutes of them. Actually, i dunno, those monster fights weren't even that great either

strobogo

Banned
We're gonna keep taunting BronsonLee about his size and he's gonna go Floyd Mayweather on our asses

I'm not taunting him about his size. I'm taunting him about his bad camera work. Look at that technique. It's terrible. He couldn't even figure out how to put a tape in.

Aiii

So not worth it
re: Wolfenstein from a few pages ago

is Doom beta a selling point to ANYONE at this point?

I sorta kinda loved Doom 3. LOVED IT!

I look forward to putting on my headphones, turning off the lights and jump scaring the living shit out of myself with Doom 4. I'm a sucker for jump scares, cheap as they might be.

So, in six months, is Bo going to be another midcard geek that people thought should've beat Cena and Orton in two minutes to become a megastar like Sandow, Ryder, and Fandango?

KissVibes

Banned

What an ugly and dumb-looking goober.

re: Wolfenstein from a few pages ago

is Doom beta a selling point to ANYONE at this point?

Kinda.

Because Machine Games is doing the development on the new DOOM and they obviously know how to make a straight-up first person shooter.

So, in six months, is Bo going to be another midcard geek that people thought should've beat Cena and Orton in two minutes to become a megastar like Sandow, Ryder, and Fandango?

No, because the liking of Bo is ironic.

Whereas, three of the four men you listed have actual value.

i don't ironically like Bo! i think he's good at his character, but not a good wrestler so I just hope we get a stretch of good segments before they completely Sandow him

strobogo

Banned
They should just embrace that Bo isn't good in the ring and make that part of his character as well. Like he's completely oblivious to the fact that he doesn't know how to wrestle, that he's a heel, and that he's not even in shape. Go all in with that shit.

Bo's pretty bad in the ring but he's constant goofy mannerisms, thumbs up, and self praise still make the match entertaining enough to watch. Also as people have stated him being terrible and having to cheat goes hand in hand with his gimmick (which is basically what he did on NXT.) I think he has a pretty decent chance of getting over as a heel as long as they do something more interesting than have him beat Sin Cara for the next 3 months.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Bo-love was ironic for a while, that much is true. But it's been a long while since then and he really owns the current gimmick.

Aiii

So not worth it
Edit: Just dropped my cat off at the vets for dental - he may lose some or all of his teeth :-( He'll be as effective as an early 90's Bret Hart promo...

Best of luck mate!

My cat had dental work done last year, worst part is that they have to go under for that. Stressful day heh, luckily her teeth were fine after cleaning and none had to be taken out. Poor cat was completely out of it for several days.

Browny

Banned
Best of luck mate!

My cat had dental work done last year, worst part is that they have to go under for that. Stressful day heh, luckily her teeth were fine after cleaning and none had to be taken out. Poor cat was completely out of it for several days.

Hope it all goes well. Let us know when you get him back!

Cheers gents

pshayeshattip.gif

Gingivitus strikes... phone call at 2 to see how he is, pick up at 5. This is one of those days where I buy him a special pot of dinner. I bo-lieve :)

kiguel182

The whole "heel who acts like an obnoxious face" is perfect for Bo. They just need to not make it super obvious.

It's pretty much what Cena is right now except he will actually be a heel.

strobogo

Banned
The whole "heel who acts like an obnoxious face" is perfect for Bo. They just need to not make it super obvious.

It's pretty much what Cena is right now except he will actually be a heel.

I think the gimmick lives or dies based on how commentary handles it. Which means it is going to crash and burn and Bo will be back in NXT by Survivor Series, where the fans will either truly embrace him for real or hate him worse than Batista. It needs to be Bo being Bo and commentary treating it seriously, even though none of the wrestlers or fans do. When JBL/Cole go on and on about how clueless and stupid Bo is, its just going to ruin everything.

Sblargh

Banned
I think the gimmick lives or dies based on how commentary handles it. Which means it is going to crash and burn and Bo will be back in NXT by Survivor Series, where the fans will either truly embrace him for real or hate him worse than Batista. It needs to be Bo being Bo and commentary treating it seriously, even though none of the wrestlers or fans do. When JBL/Cole go on and on about how clueless and stupid Bo is, its just going to ruin everything.

If only JBL wasn't the super ultra obvious "I like this guy, therefore he is a heel" commentator. Heel comentators should defend heel tactics and not heel wrestlers.

Browny

Banned
The current commentators should be shot in the shins. I don't normally wish shin punishment on people, but I think it's justified here.

*insert intelligent rant on JBL, King and Cole here* Other people here have put it more eloquently than I could ever hope for.

Describe the damn action, comment on the efforts, the moves, whether you agree with their motives (face/heel), use your common sense with mixed reaction performers (Cena / Cesaro).

kiguel182

Yeah, I agree. King and Cole will just call him a lunatic or something and the whole point of the gimmick will be lost.
Kind of like when Cole started dancing like Emma or saying how cool Rose was. Gimmicks that are smart and work on NXT are just lost when those three start doing their thing on them.

Vylash

I do like how JBL's handling it so far where he's just stupidly into it. Reminds me of his King Booker days which were so great

Sblargh

Banned
The current commentators should be shot in the shins. I don't normally wish shin punishment on people, but I think it's justified here.

*insert intelligent rant on JBL, King and Cole here* Other people here have put it more eloquently than I could ever hope for.

Describe the damn action, comment on the efforts, the moves, whether you agree with their motives (face/heel), use your common sense with mixed reaction performers (Cena / Cesaro).

The thing I loved most about Jesse Ventura (Gorilla Monsoon would do that, too) was that they would teach me things, they would really guide me through the match, you know? This hold is good because it leaves the opponent out of breath, or this move should only be used on an opponent who is already weak, or this is a high risk move and then comment if the reward is worth it.

It pisses me off when someone does something and I don't even get a name so I can try to figure out for myself the purpose of the move.

I do like how JBL's handling it so far where he's just stupidly into it. Reminds me of his King Booker days which were so great

Of those 3, JBL is the one that I think should keep his job, but he is way too much "colour" and way too little "analyst". He is a smart guy, he knows how to react to a lot of stuff, let him alternate between witty and using his in-ring experience to explain stuff and he would be great.
As for the rest, King's brain is just not there anymore and Micheal Cole should really talk to someone who in turn talk to someone who in turn talk to Vince so he can be free to do his job without the cursed earpiece, given that this is really why he is awful.

Browny

Banned
The thing I loved most about Jesse Ventura (Gorilla Monsoon would do that, too) was that they would teach me things, they would really guide me through the match, you know? This hold is good because it leaves the opponent out of breath, or this move should only be used on an opponent who is already weak, or this is a high risk move and then comment if the reward is worth it.

It pisses me off when someone does something and I don't even get a name so I can try to figure out for myself the purpose of the move.

When Regal was running his semi-heel commentating in NXT (given that he's now more neutral), he'd still do what Ventura did back then - his damn job. Now he's like Monsoon (but without the "Will You Stop"), which is doing his damn job. I love Regal.

The current commentators think they're there (or Vince does) to entertain people. They're not - that's the job of the wrestlers. The commentators job is to embellish and enrich the action, and inform and teach the viewer.

strobogo

Banned
People always talk about the vaunted "Vince in the ear piece" as why commentary is so bad, but why are guys with little experience so much better on Superstars/Main Event? I think too much blame is placed on Vince in the ear piece and not enough on the 3 guys at that booth. Am I really to believe that Vince is completely off hands for everything except Raw and Smackdown? The same Smackdown that he hasn't given a shit about since 2003? Why are JBL/Cole often times WORSE on Smackdown, a show in which they can edit and clean up in post production, and a show that Vince has always been much, much less involved with?

Holy shit hahahahahaha
Stro's ability to find the correct gifs for a situation is legendary
..wait a second I'M GODZILLA IN THIS RIGHT

I watched it again SPECIFICALLY to make those gifs. Your fate was sealed the second pictures go posted. The fudging with the tape part was a happy accident, as I didn't remember that at all. But the stepping on was immediately what I thought of when I saw you and Edge together. In NYC. While I'm marathoning Godzilla movies. The gods were speaking to me.

JavyOO7

Oh wow. I just noticed that during Bo's Smackdown match that the hashtag on the top left of the screen isn't #Smackdown but #Bolieve. Cute. =p

Top Bottom