• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's not nice Bionic

apologize to Summer Rae right now

iWPPRCiaFiljn.gif

He's not that much worse than the current WWE champion. And I'm told hes dabes

i think they're equal in their badness.

Cesaro is made worse cause his accent is not threatening, he sounds like a friendly german tourist in NYC.

matter of fact, he shouldn't speak english at all. it would at least give him some heat.

I thought I saw Summer Rae working at Smackdown on the previous page... which means Miz isn't far behind. Fuck.

Who knows, Summer might've suffered a horrible horrible death in the Marine 4 and they're only done filming half of the movie! That'll appeal to the blind heathens that shit on Summer's looks.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the OG Fandango dancer was best Fandango dancer.

Striker

Cesaro suffers from one of worst problems a to-be main eventer could have: zero mic skills. they tried to patch it by putting Heyman with him but big mistake.
It's been a mistake putting him with Heyman. They had the opportunity to let him go that face route post-Mania but they seem to want him to remain heel, despite being cheered. The Giant Swing is a babyface move but they still have him doing it as a heel.

Pasty ass is the wildcard. He should be a heel instead, though not quite in the main event. He doesn't get the reactions as the others on the rise do and they've done all they can do get him over as a top face. Getting booked to beat ADR and Christian a million times sure paid off.

strobogo

Banned
It's amazing that Heyman being paired with anyone but Brock in this run has either done nothing to help or stalled momentum.

They should have kept Cesaro exactly how he was. He would get to keep the theme and WE THE PEOPLE. But fans cheer him. Not whatever he's doing right now that has killed all the momentum he had in February-WM30.

I'm kind of conflicted on the Cesaro thing. I don't buy him as a face at all. I think he has more upside as a heel and as such I question him doing the Giant Swing at all even though it's super fun and over.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bryan reminds me of a boring version of goofy milk truck spraying Kurt. Kurt made it work, but it's doing nothing for me with Bryan because he's never goofy in promos. With Kurt, I wasn't supposed to take him serious then you got in the ring and were like, 'Oh right, this guy is one of the best wrestlers in the world and not just a goofball.'

Daniel is just the pandering underdog babyface in every promo. We all know how well Underdog champions work out
ReyWHC.jpg

I'm kind of conflicted on the Cesaro thing. I don't buy him as a face at all. I think he has more upside as a heel and as such I question him doing the Giant Swing at all even though it's super fun and over.

he should just tease the GS and never do it.

i swear these guys have no idea how to draw heat.

Bryan reminds me of a boring version of goofy milk truck spraying Kurt. Kurt made it work, but it's doing nothing for me with Bryan because he's never goofy in promos. With Kurt, I wasn't supposed to take him serious then you got in the ring and were like, 'Oh right, this guy is one of the best wrestlers in the world and not just a goofball.'

Daniel is just the pandering underdog babyface in every promo. We all know how well Underdog champions work out

I mean, you're right, but I don't think that's Bryan's fault so much as it is how WWE wants to portray him.

ReyWHC.jpg

He'll never be recognized as an all-time great promo, no. But he's several times better than Rey was, just rarely gets the opportunity and mic time to cut actual good promos. Which actually does play to his strengths. He's great at telling stories in the ring, with actions, so keep it simple on the promos and keep him in the ring.

Also, he's already not Rey. He went toe to toe with Kane at ER, it was probably even lopsided in his favor most of the time, and he beat him with his finisher. Rey never did that, and lost non-title matches all the time and never main evented the PPVs he was on.

Honestly, everything about Cesaro to me is all a social construction. He's not in blurring the lines between heel or face: he's a heel in a time where WWE is lacking in and people just need to deal with it.

If they seriously wanted to make Cesaro a face, he should've been booked the way Sheamus is being booked right now. But I guess that puts Sheamus lost in the shuffle which I wouldn't like either because I value him. Much like I value Ryback. That dude was so over with that feed me more chant.

All I'm saying is fuck John Cena.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean, you're right, but I don't think that's Bryan's fault so much as it is how WWE wants to portray him.
It's hard to portray him otherwise, though. He's a genuinely nice guy who's smaller than most of his competition. Small guys have come before him, but they generally had a tough guy look or something. Bryan's hair and unkempt beard don't help much either. He looks like a hippy, and he's going up against huge guys. He's an underdog.

Plus, the guy has only been on TV a few times since WM for various reasons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He'll never be recognized as an all-time great promo, no. But he's several times better than Rey was, just rarely gets the opportunity and mic time to cut actual good promos. Which actually does play to his strengths. He's great at telling stories in the ring, with actions, so keep it simple on the promos and keep him in the ring.

Also, he's already not Rey. He went toe to toe with Kane at ER, it was probably even lopsided in his favor most of the time, and he beat him with his finisher. Rey never did that, and lost non-title matches all the time and never main evented the PPVs he was on.

Yeah, but Rey did the RR thing before winning the title. I'd say that was far more impressive and good at building credibility than beating Kane. Who the fuck hasn't beaten Kane?

There's something about broadcasting an iPPV from Easton, PA that cracks me up. It just surprises me that Easton, PA, would have the infrastructure for them to broadcast an iPPV.

7) Sweet vs. Sour!
Jervis Cottonbelly vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado

I guess enough time has passed since Sweeney's passing that it shouldn't make me wince, but I did when I saw "Sweet vs. Sour" here.

Yeah, but Rey did the RR thing before winning the title. I'd say that was far more impressive and good at building credibility than beating Kane. Who the fuck hasn't beaten Kane?

I agree, but that's more to WWE's fault of wanting to do Shield/Evolution so badly and Kane being the next best thing. Kane was acceptable for a one month feud. Bats was going to be fed to him at Payback as the original plan. That would have been credible, but they were forced to go with other plans. I think it's too early however to be calling it a Rey Mysterio title run when the guy hasn't been on TV all that much and has only had one title defense in which he looked credible against a 7 foot monster.

strobogo

Banned
Has there been a main event face since the brand split that wasn't a pandering wienerhead? I don't think you can avoid that as a top guy, nor the LOL____wins since top guys are top guys because they win all the time. The bitching about top guys and upper mid carders always winning is so silly. Not only because it has always been like that, but because that's how shit works in actual sports as well. You get to be the best because you win the most. If you lose all the time, you aren't the best.

Win all the time --> win title --> get to say you're the best.

That's how it works in every professional sports league. And the on screen narrative of the whole thing is that it is a sport and guys are competing to be the champion and therefore be the best. And at the same time, people bitch when champions do lose in non-title stuff. And bitch when they win. You can't have it both ways, shitheads.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And let's be honest, Stone Cold was a pandering wienerhead. It just happened that his pandering is also what people feel is cool. But he pandered like wild.

Striker

Rey had two PPV opportunities as champion and main evented each time (JBL at Judgment Day, Booker T at Great American Bash). There were two PPV's in between due to the brand split PPV thing they did and the ECW show. And I don't like it too often when we see super heavyweights (like Kane at 300+ lbs) lose to a diving move by a guy who's under 200 lbs himself. Rey did the 619 plus the slash to beat Kane a few times. The only circumstance I recall it working in favor was Eddie beating Lesnar at NWO in 2004, but even then Eddie is bigger and he planted a reversed F-5 onto a belt right before that.

It's hard to portray him otherwise, though. He's a genuinely nice guy who's smaller than most of his competition. Small guys have come before him, but they generally had a tough guy look or something. Bryan's hair and unkempt beard don't help much either. He looks like a hippy, and he's going up against huge guys. He's an underdog.

Plus, the guy has only been on TV a few times since WM for various reasons.

He's not an underdog though. It's established in WWE canon for awhile that Bryan is the best wrestler despite his size and that's enough. He just beat Evolution in one night clean before going on to whip The Demon Kane's ass in his only title defense but they want to keep acting like he doesn't stand a chance. It's like a warped version of Cena or maybe just a straight up version of Cena.

Cagey

Banned
Has there been a main event face since the brand split that wasn't a pandering wienerhead? I don't think you can avoid that as a top guy, nor the LOL____wins since top guys are top guys because they win all the time. The bitching about top guys and upper mid carders always winning is so silly. Not only because it has always been like that, but because that's how shit works in actual sports as well. You get to be the best because you win the most. If you lose all the time, you aren't the best.

Win all the time --> win title --> get to say you're the best.

That's how it works in every professional sports league. And the on screen narrative of the whole thing is that it is a sport and guys are competing to be the champion and therefore be the best. And at the same time, people bitch when champions do lose in non-title stuff. And bitch when they win. You can't have it both ways, shitheads.

People only bitch about wrestlers they dislike winning all the time. It's not a Top Guys thing, it's a Guys I Don't Like thing.

If they were going to strip Bryan, they'd have done it already. But that cheapens the Mania title win and makes Bryan look like a wiener when he comes back in a month without the title. The second chase probably wouldn't be as good as the first anyway.

People only bitch about wrestlers they dislike winning all the time. It's not a Top Guys thing, it's a Guys I Don't Like thing.

Yeah, this.

Not since Hulk Hogan has someone pandered as hard as Bryan and his THIS IS OUR RING bullshit.

Shit wasn't as bad as Rock's crackhead stories. That THIS IS OUR RING stuff is nowhere near as bad as Rock's "promos" holy shit that and the added laughs by Cole and Lawler, was some of the worst times I've ever watched RAW.

Bryan's only as good as the material he's given. Same goes for Cena, or any other superstar for that matter.

Speaking of, hope WWE don't panic and put the title back on him. He's toxic to my enjoyment.

Cena and Bryan are well liked backstage because they represent hard work, and they never bitch about what they're given. They go out and try to make the best of it, and that's why they're both in the position they're in. White rapper and Goatface NO guy should have been the death of both their careers, but here we are.

tumblr_lnhdumRYSV1qc1dwlo1_500.gif

But yeah that was a cringeworthy line. I still maintain it was a good segment though because it was completely unique and could only be done by that character.

Exactly, the reason why it never bothered me was it because it genuinely felt like the audience legit made Bryan be put into this program. He really feels like they are the reason why he's in the ring facing HHH and in the title match in the first place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What I originally liked about Bryan's 'face turn' when he started teaming with Kane was that there was no face turn. There was no pivotal moment. He still did the 'no' thing to the fans, he still screamed at fans, he was still the same guy who just did the same things against heels. He did come off as legit. Kind of like how the best Stone Cold(and imo the best wrestling character of all time at that point) was the asshole Stone Cold at the beginning of his career because he didn't spew catchphrases all over the place.

I think Total Divas and knowing all this reality stuff about him has ruined the character completely for me.

What I originally liked about Bryan's 'face turn' when he started teaming with Kane was that there was no face turn. There was no pivotal moment. He still did the 'no' thing to the fans, he still screamed at fans, he was still the same guy who just did the same things against heels. He did come off as legit. Kind of like how the best Stone Cold(and imo the best wrestling character of all time at that point) was the asshole Stone Cold at the beginning of his career because he didn't spew catchphrases all over the place.

I think Total Divas and knowing all this reality stuff about him has ruined the character completely for me.

I'll give you that. The June/July period Bryan was going through was true underdog chase Bryan (and a better look) because of where he was and how gradual it all was. Some might say organic. Because I'm not gonna say Bryan is perfect, because he isn't. But for fucks sake play to the guy's strengths. I HATE HATE HATE this mentality of turning chicken shit into chicken salad. Especially when the guy's over like rover.

This bogs down to how much The Rock was basically the worst thing to ever happen to babyfaces or face of the company type guys. They're expected to do comedy and to be as versatile on the mic as much as possible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watched the new OSW. Someone should show V1 the Dean Malenko top rope gutbuster if he thinks Chavo's looked like anything other than a sloppy mess.

There's something about broadcasting an iPPV from Easton, PA that cracks me up. It just surprises me that Easton, PA, would have the infrastructure for them to broadcast an iPPV.

Oooh inside baseball time!

They have a T1 line in Easton, but they usually just use a 4G hotspot and go from there. Given how NPWD went, it works alright?

strobogo

Banned
I just threw away a bottle of whiskey with about 1/3rd left. I still feel terrible from Sunday night/Monday morning. Looking at it made me want to throw up. So I booted that shit. I have to stop for real. I've put on 30 pounds since around September just from drinking. I can't continue to be an alcoholic because it kind of sucks.

This also means I can never watch WCW after 1997 ever again.

Top Bottom