• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

strobogo

Banned
Generico won't bomb. He'd going to be the next D Brine, in the sense that the fans are going to latch on to him no matter what he's doing and it will be impossible to deny him a higher spot on the card. I don't think that he's going to be the face of the company in the next few years (although I think he totally could, maybe even more so than Bryan), but I think he's going to definitely be the most successful NXT call up since Shield.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As long as he leaves Ricardo behind, yes he will.

Ricardo looks like Kalisto's fat little brother that he has to bring along or their mom will get mad at him.

Are The Legionairres supposed to be a bad Fabolous Rougeaus? It amazes me how bad and uninspired the heel wrestlers in NXT can be. Who's the top heel now that Bo's gone? Because a lot of the mid card/jobber team heels are just RAH DONT BOO ME THE FANS. It's like, you're the fucking French tag team. Play it up. Be snooty, give each other hugs all the time to piss off the fans. If you're going to steal mannerisms, steal something a little less generic. Give them tiny little American flags to wave. ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING BLACK SHORT TRUNKS. JESUS.

XenoRaven

Prediction time.

Kalisto is the next Rey Mysterio. Kids are gonna go crazy for his crazy flips. Neville will have to fight for his spot because Kalisto can do the same things without the expectation of cutting a promo.

Zayn will be big. He doesn't need a gimmick. He comes across as a real, genuine guy with a lot of personality without sticking him with a wacky character. He can wrestle, he can do spots, and he can talk.

Generico won't bomb. He'd going to be the next D Brine, in the sense that the fans are going to latch on to him no matter what he's doing and it will be impossible to deny him a higher spot on the card. I don't think that he's going to be the face of the company in the next few years (although I think he totally could, maybe even more so than Bryan), but I think he's going to definitely be the most successful NXT call up since Shield.

And his sincere face promos are really great. He can be fun but stern. He has that cool grandfather vibe in him. He doesn't pander any catchphrases because the audience does it for him with the OLE chants which can easily be spun with his Montreal background. Honestly, Bryan can learn a thing or two from Zayn.

He also seems to have transitioned so well into the WWE style. The fact that he got NXT screen time so early says a lot about how they feel about him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Prediction time.

Kalisto is the next Rey Mysterio. Kids are gonna go crazy for his crazy flips. Neville will have to fight for his spot because Kalisto can do the same things without the expectation of cutting a promo.
Most important, Kalisto looks cool. A kid could easily dress up like Kalisto and kind of look like him for Halloween. Nobody wants to look like a roided out Elf. That's the guy they should have put a mask on.

Heel

I think some of these bums from NXT are going to rise to midcard, or better, simply based on the fact that someone needs to be there. That's not an endorsement of their talent, that's knowing John Sina needs someone to beat for the next decade or so.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are the NXT commentators supposed to sound so bored? They don't have much enthusiasm. Renee just sounds like she's having a conversation and her 'whoas' sound really fake. The other guy is just generic play by play. And the color guy? I guess that's what he is. He's real bad. Is that A-Ry? I guess that would make sense.

XenoRaven

He has a mask that doesn't allow you to see his mouth which means he doesn't have one. Therefore, no promos.

I feel bad when people make fun of Neville's looks but millions of people are going to judge him when he gets on TV so it's unavoidable. I think he'd be fine if he got his ears pinned or whatever that procedure is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
can this Kallisto character cut a promo?

Doesn't need to, I imagine. I'm not saying he'll be World champ a la Mysterio(he's tiny), but he'll be a guy they can easily sell a ton of merch with. Maybe a midcard run while being so over that they could put him against main eventers or stick him in a 'main event' tag team.

strobogo

Banned
He has a mask that doesn't allow you to see his mouth which means he doesn't have one. Therefore, no promos.

I feel bad when people make fun of Neville's looks but millions of people are going to judge him when he gets on TV so it's unavoidable. I think he'd be fine if he got his ears pinned or whatever that procedure is.

He also has that weird hair that is bordering on being an under cut. And shows up for promos in tight polos and basketball shorts, which is weird. I don't think he's getting called up for a while though, so he has time to change his look a bit and work on his promos.

Vince ain't making no A-Rab the face of his company.

Aiii

So not worth it
You complain so much Dragonzord, here is a challenge: name one thing in wrestling you love right now and rave about that for at least one paragraph of at least four sentences.

Go.

The reports of Danielson suffering a broken neck were told to us to be untrue, and that it was a significant nerve issue that required a minimally invasive surgery.

Danielson has had neck problems for a significant period of time, but they worsened to the point he needed the operation, even though this was just about the worst time possible.

From the Observer. Sounds like he'd been working hurt on it for a while.

strobogo

Banned
he's the best looking Canadian ever.

GSP is anti-draw to me. He was a big reason in me losing interest in MMA. I have no respect for guys with his talent who never try to finish fights. Plus his terrible promo skills. Zero charisma. I bet he smells like BO and Axe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You complain so much Dragonzord, here is a challenge: name one thing in wrestling you love right now and rave about that for at least one paragraph of at least four sentences.

Go.

I talk about stuff I like all the time. Sorry, I guess it doesn't count if it's not owned by the WWE.

strobogo

Banned

70s Superstar is the only Superstar that is canon. Get that bald, karate shit and awful face color man bullshit out of here.

This guy:

photo-15994.jpg

12xx3-1.jpg

images

billy-graham.jpg

Not this guy:

sect3_grahamkarate.jpg

Not this guy:

WWE-WWF_SummerSlam-1988_Gorilla-Monsoon_Superstar-Billy-Graham.jpg

Ithil

I changed my mind about that UFC game. No Don Frye no sale. How am I supposed to beat Godzilla with these bad tattoo having shmucks? No Sakuraba either. I am disappoint.

I'm not talking about the smart crowds at NXT or House Shows. I'm talking Billy 'I love Cena' McBillyton.

They like who they're told to like. It's no big challenge.

I'm excited for the NXT show next week, and I feel like that's less to do with the main event, and more to do with
Zayn vs. Breeze
. Not sure if that's a spoiler, but it hasn't been officially announced so I'll mark it just in case. I do think Kidd and Neville will have a great match, I just don't see any chance of Kidd leaving with the belt.

strobogo

Banned
70s Graham didn't cut no promos with spiders on his face

He didn't have to in the 70s. It's amazing how many dudes stole from Superstar, as blatantly as possible with Hogan (both in the 80s and then 1999 on) and Scott Steiner (1998 on). Even Dusty stole a lot of his promo stuff from Superstar, who stole it from Ali, who stole shit from Gorgeous George. I know I've made this point a few times, but it is really crazy how you can really trace everything back to George. It's like a tree of wrasslin.

George starts everything, more or less. Ali steals from him. Buddy Rogers steals from him. Superstar steals from Ali. Dusty steals from Ali and Superstar. Hogan/Ventura/muscly guys in general steal from Superstar. Flair steals heavily from Buddy Rogers and Dusty. Savage lifted lines directly from Superstar/Dusty promos.

Hogan inspires two decades of guys of big muscly dudes. Flair inspires 2 decades of guys like HHH and HBK. A whole generation of guys were inspired by HBK, and guys inspired by him were the inspiration for a lot of guys in the modern era.

This doesn't take everyone into consideration. I've left out the whole genre of shooters/straight wrestler types that were obviously a continuation/off shoot of the early days. Like all the Funks, the Briscos, Thesz, Harley, Kiniski, Gagne, etc. I'm also missing out on regional guys like Jackie Fargo (who just going from the few things I saw from him on the Memphis set, was probably inspired by George as a kid), who then begat Lawler. If books were still big, WWE could have a super interesting coffee table book on this subject.

But basically, Gorgeous George is the most influential wrestler of all time, based on all the people that stole from him, got huge, and then inspired others. But Superstar might be as big. He ushered in a whole new era of promos, of muscularity and majesty (and steroids), of the idea of the cool heel. He basically laid out the ground work for the next 30 years of pro wrestling in the US in a run that was only about 4 years long. It's bananas. I mean shit, calling guys "Superstars" was a direct reference/tribute to him.

It's actually kind of hard to think of many people in any genre of entertainment that were as influential as Superstar was to wrestling. It's hard to come up with a musical artist or actor that changed their game as much and forever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With all those people stealing, it's funny to think how few did anything original with it. I actually think Jesse took the gimmick and ran with it. Not in the ring but in the way he developed the character. Linking himself with actual famous people, opening for Rolling Stones, always having the celebrity hosts play up their friendship. It really did make Jesse feel like an actual superstar. Not just a wrestler.

tumblr_n5oakvdiyB1qj1jhno1_400.jpg

[ZERO1 News] Pro Wrestling Zero1 announced that “Dangan Yankees” Masato Tanaka and Takashi Sugiura will be making their first defense of the Zero1 Intercontinental Tag belts against BJW’s Daisuke Sekimoto and Kazuki Hashimoto on June 1st at the Korakuen Hall.

You know this match is going to be nuts when Kawada Jr is the weak link. Though Fujita is forreal Kawada 2.0. Needs more mass. Sekimoto has such a weird ass body.
20101118001.jpg

Him and Big E should be a tag team. They got the same fucking face.

Dangan Yankees make such a great pairing, would love to see them in New Japan, but that match against Sekimoto and K. Hash should be awwsome as well. Kazuki's impressed a lot over the past year. He seems to be doing better than Daichi Hashimoto, who keeps getting injured.

AJ's coming back soon.

AJ Lee is currently scheduled to return after her upcoming wedding to former WWE Superstar CM Punk, which takes place next month. During her time off, AJ has been moving to Chicago and planning her wedding with Punk.

As of a few weeks ago, the plan was originally for Lee to be back either in late May or early June. She’s been out of action since taking time off after dropping the Divas Championship to Paige the night after WrestleMania XXX.

Also, some potential Payback stuff:

Currently there are three matches officially announced for the upcoming WWE Payback pay-per-view on June 1st in Chicago, Illinois. Those matches are The Shield vs. Evolution in a No Holds Barred Elimination match, John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt in a Last Man Standing match and Bad News Barrett vs. Rob Van Dam for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.

Other matches likely for WWE Payback include The Usos vs. Luke Harper & Erick Rowan for the WWE Tag-Team Championships, Paige vs. Alicia Fox for the WWE Divas Championship, Sheamus vs. Cesaro for the WWE United States Championship, Adam Rose vs. Jack Swagger, Rusev vs. Big E. and Summer Rae vs. Layla with Fandango as special guest referee.

As far as the No Holds Barred Elimination main event, a possible scenario being considered is one that would see Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins eliminated early, leaving Roman Reigns to make a huge comeback on all three Evolution members by himself.

The match will be Batista’s final match in WWE for several months, and based on plans for the future, could be one of Triple H’s last for a while as well.

Good lord I hope they don't go with that finish. Too much Reigns. I like the guy, but that's too much.

Top Bottom