• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

BKm4ays.jpg

FtFr8Ri.jpg

UiRHrvk.jpg

AJ Styles becomes the 60th IWGP Heavyweight Champion and is just the 6th gaijin wrestler to ever hold the title (Big Van Vader, Salman Hashimikov, Scott Norton, Bob Sapp, Brock Lesnar, AJ Styles).

Aiii

So not worth it
I think that is awesome and a good choice on NJPW's part for their upcoming US tour.

I also think somebody in TNA should print out these pictures and paste them all over the backstage area of the Impact Zone's next tapings to piss Dixie off. I'd say this title means at least 10 times as much as the TNA title ever did.

strobogo

Banned
I think that is awesome and a good choice on NJPW's part for their upcoming US tour.

I also think somebody in TNA should print out these pictures and paste them all over the backstage area of the Impact Zone's next tapings to piss Dixie off. I'd say this title means at least 10 times as much as the TNA title ever did.

No need to be so spiteful. Dixie is just having fun, y'all.

Alucard

Banned
So, my wife won free Telus box tickets at the Bell Centre to see Marie-Mai tonight. She's like Quebec's Kelly Clarkson. Not a big fan of the music, but can't complain about box seats with complementary food and alcohol. Just gonna have to tip the staff.

Aiii

So not worth it
No need to be so spiteful. Dixie is just having fun, y'all.

Well, when it comes to AJ, I think some spite is well placed. The guy is one of the few people that remained loyal to TNA through thick and thin only to be shoved aside after a decade.

XenoRaven

Does this mean the main event of the NY show is Styles vs. Elgin or is it still going to be Okada?

Edit: Also, I hate to be this guy, but in the future, could we spoiler tag NJPW results at least until the end of the weekend? I'm pretty sure for me to watch live I would have to stay up to watch a 2-3 hour show that starts at 3 am.

How is it in a picture featuring the Young Bucks that Karl Anderson is the goofiest looking one there?

Just look at Karl's face. That's a face that says "it should have been me".

Aiii said:

That was probably their mindset behind doing it, but I'd guess there were a fair few people going to the ROH shows who were expecting to see Okada defend the belt.

Honestly, I'm OK with this - Okada's reign needed ending and they'd booked themselves into a bit of a corner. Also, Elgin will probably work better with AJ than he would have with Okada. The only downside was the lack of reaction AJ winning the belt received, more of a stunned silence than anything. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here, especially with a huge arena show to sell out at the end of the month.

XenoRaven said:
Does this mean the main event of the NY show is Styles vs. Elgin or is it still going to be Okada?

No word yet, but I'm guessing ROH were promised an IWGP title match, so they'll do Styles vs Elgin III.

XenoRaven said:
Edit: Also, I hate to be this guy, but in the future, could we spoiler tag NJPW results at least until the end of the weekend? I'm pretty sure for me to watch live I would have to stay up to watch a 2-3 hour show that starts at 3 am.

I did start to spoiler tag stuff, but then everyone was like "NEW CHAMP!", so yeah...sorry :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love Anderson but he looks like a caricature.

I'm selling my ticket to ROH on Sunday.

I'll still come up to hang out and such but fuck that card even more now, that + tickets are going for ridiculous prices

XenoRaven

That was probably their mindset behind doing it, but I'd guess there were a fair few people going to the ROH shows who were expecting to see Okada defend the belt.

Honestly, I'm OK with this - Okada's reign needed ending and they'd booked themselves into a bit of a corner. Also, Elgin will probably work better with AJ than he would have with Okada. The only downside was the lack of reaction AJ winning the belt received, more of a stunned silence than anything. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here, especially with a huge arena show to sell out at the end of the month.

No word yet, but I'm guessing ROH were promised an IWGP title match, so they'll do Styles vs Elgin III.

I did start to spoiler tag stuff, but then everyone was like "NEW CHAMP!", so yeah...sorry :(
It's not a huge deal. I care more about the matches than the actual results which is kind of the opposite of WWE for me, but it would still be nice. I don't expect people to not react, and I will typically avoid previous pages if I know an event happened that I want to see on demand. But I will most definitely see a results update with pictures on a later page. Again, if we could hold off at least until late Sunday I would really appreciate it.

I'm becoming less and less interested in the NY show. NY is a pretty big drive too. I have to keep telling myself it'll be worth it, since it'll probably be my only chance to ever see Nakamura and Tanahashi live.

strobogo

Banned
People in here have been watching wrasslin for most of their lives, surely you've come to understand that having high expectations is a terrible idea.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aiii, admit it, you heard AJ won the title and came running back here, only to be disappointed it was the wrong AJ.

XenoRaven

People in here have been watching wrasslin for most of their lives, surely you've come to understand that having high expectations is a terrible idea.
I'm waiting until an official announcement. But I didn't pay to see AJ Styles in the main events. Frankly I would prefer no ROH guys in the main event but I know that's unrealistic. I don't think my expectations were that outrageous. But NJPW's gotta do what's good for them, and a title change is probably good for them right now.

He's booked, he just no longer has a match announced. I'd expect him to wrestle someone like Roderick Strong.

Also, the card looks pretty good to me, regardless of the bait and switch main event;

. AJ vs Elgin
. Doc & Anderson vs The Briscoes
. Cole vs Liger
. Steen vs Nakamura
. Lethal vs KUSHIDA
. Tanahashi vs Bennett

Just watched Dontaku. Most of my predictions were right, and while I expected Yujiro to turn on CHAOS, I never thought he would hook up with the BC so I'm plesantly surprised there. This defintely opens up a rematch down the road, which I'm happy with since Okada/Styles was a very good match. I'm guessing we'll see Styles/Yujiro vs. Okada/Uh, YOSHI-HASHI I guess... in Yokohama. Also, I expect to see Fale contend for the IC title and Tama Tonga go after the NEVER title soon. Oh, and Yujiro can go after the Jr. title (he's still a Jr. right?)

With AJ now being the bridge I can also see a lot of ROH talent working with NJPW in the future, like Elgin, Steen, and Cole. Whether any of them will join the Bullet Club is anyone's guess but it opens the door for way more gaijin talent at NJPW shows, which I think NJPW needs to really open up the international iPPV market. Like it or not the fact that "It's Japanese!" is a major hurdle for some people, and bringing in a more American...dare I say...WWE style is exactly what NJPW needs to really make them a top company worldwide.

Aiii

So not worth it
Without English commentary they will not see any groundbreaking rise in viewership from the worldwide audience no matter how many foreign wrestlers they employ I'd reckon.

Without English commentary they will not see any groundbreaking rise in viewership from the worldwide audience no matter how many foreign wrestlers they employ I'd reckon.

I get around that since I know a bit of Japanese from my anime weeaboo days, but I agree it isn't for everyone.

Hey NJPW! I have experience with commentary. Call me!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, and if you follow Karl Anderson on Twitter, he almost NEVER tweets about AJ - compare that to the others.

I'm sure he's catching feels over this. I would too, he busts his ass, but AJ has a better look and...yeah it shoulda been Karl.

Elgin talking about wanting to enter the G1 this year...also, some Japanese fans are spreading a rumour that there will be 24 participants this year, as it's the 24th anniversary of the tournament. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Elgin talking about wanting to enter the G1 this year...also, some Japanese fans are spreading a rumour that there will be 24 participants this year, as it's the 24th anniversary of the tournament. Crazy.

Wouldn't surprise me considering how they're spreading it out.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Yeah, and if you follow Karl Anderson on Twitter, he almost NEVER tweets about AJ - compare that to the others.

I'm sure he's catching feels over this. I would too, he busts his ass, but AJ has a better look and...yeah it shoulda been Karl.
Will Karl tweet about how much vag AJ destroys while in Japan? :(

Does NJPW have 24 guys on the roster?

30 on the heavyweight roster, plus there's usually one or two juniors and young lions in there and a number of outside competitors - however, apparently the tournament is going to be focussing on young talent, so guys like Tenzan, Kojima & Suzuki might not find themselves placed and certainly not guys like Nakanishi.

Alucard

Banned
Just about everyone's gonna be available for photos and autographs at Global Wars in TO.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/global-wars-autograph-signing

$160 bucks for everybody, or $15 for photo and signed item with individual stars.

Want pics and autographs with:

-Tanahashi
-Liger
-Nakamura
-Styles

Will be 60 bucks for the 4 of them, but it'll be worth it. I'll probably get the special program for the show and have it signed too. Reeeaaally hope NJPW will have a nice t-shirt or two.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm watching Smackdown now and loving it so far. Someone said they botched the Daniel Bryan segment live, but the edited version was all right, the angry promo was good.

And I hope Sandow milks the hell out of this Magneto thing. Just the notion of wrestling in a cape is so good. When he has a cool spot at the WM31 undercard later this year, we can trace his revival back to when he was Magneto.

Sblargh

Banned
Also, I marked out when JBL said that Magneto was the father of the scarlet witch and quicksilver. All right!

Who on the female roster would make a good Scarlet Witch? Aksana?

Didn't someone post some Emma gifs a few months ago of her stripping or something? Where exactly did those come from?
That never happened.

And I just don't see G1 being succesful for NJPW this year. Too bloated and too pricey, even for the hard core. Especially with options like Chikara, AAA on Del Rey and DDT.

Top Bottom