• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Alucard

Banned
What can NJPW fans tell me about Watanabe? Should I expect a good match between him and Elgin at Global Wars? Any matches of his that I should check out?

What can NJPW fans tell me about Watanabe? Should I expect a good match between him and Elgin at Global Wars? Any matches of his that I should check out?

He hasn't had many noteworthy matches, as of yet (don't know how he's been doing on his run), but check out his last match in New Japan before going on his learning excursion last October;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8UyT5RWaQ

I think they see him as a good potential heavyweight and, from what I can tell, he's added a fair bit to his look and character since he's been away. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does against Elgin - it's safe to assume it'll be a pretty hard-hitting match-up, though.

And I just don't see G1 being succesful for NJPW this year. Too bloated and too pricey, even for the hard core. Especially with options like Chikara, AAA on Del Rey and DDT.

International fans buying the G1 iPPVs have no bearing on whether or not the tournament is successful - it's their biggest tour of the year and will sell like crazy on domestic iPPV, as last year's did.

tm24

Man, that ending was crazy. Love it

Gonna watch DG on Sunday since my boy flamita has a title defense and the cage match has ny interest

Yeah, that Dragon Gate iPPV should be awesome - all four title matches look excellent and I'm sure the cage match will provide the usual DG-style multi-man madness. Looking forward to it.

What's the card, haven't heard about it. What's the ippv link?

Here's the details;

Dragon Gate, "DEAD or ALIVE", 2014.05.05
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

http://www.ustream.tv/DragonGate - $25

| 16:00 Japan | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 03:00 East Coast | 00:00 West Coast |

0. Mondai Ryu vs Ryotsu Shimizu vs Kotoka
1. Mad Blankey (Cyber Kong & Kzy) vs Monster Express (Uhaa Nation & Shachihoko BOY)
2. Gamma & Yosuke=Santa Maria vs Jimmyz (Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Jimmy Kagetora
3. Open the Brave Gate Title: Flamita © vs Jimmy Susumu
4. Open the Twin Gate Titles: Monster Express (Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi) © vs Oretachi Veteran-gun (Masaaki Mochizuki & Don Fuji)
5. Open the Triangle Gate Titles: Millenials (T-Hawk, Eita & U-T) © vs Oretachi Veteran-gun (Dragon Kid, K-ness & Super Shisa)
6. Open the Dream Gate Title: Ricochet © vs YAMATO
7. Steel Cage Survival Scapegoat Mascara contra Cabellera: Naruki Doi vs BxB Hulk vs Jimmy Kanda vs Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin vs Masato Yoshino vs CIMA*

The scapegoat of the last competitor in the cage will lose their mask or hair. The scapegoats are:
CIMA: Dragon Kid, Yoshino: Shachihoko BOY, Tanizaki: Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Kanda: Jimmy Susumu, Doi: Kzy, Hulk: Cyber Kong

Dragon Gate have been on a real roll this year and, looking at that line-up, have little doubt that it'll continue.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Well, he's a Young Lion, which means he loses all his matches, yes. He's also now on his "learning excursion", which means he'll be with ROH for the forseeable future.

I don't see much in him, but then again, I didn't see much in Okada either. We'll see.
I didn't just call him a jobber because he loses 90% of his matches, I called him that because I don't think he is going to amount to much.

Ithil

Well, he's a Young Lion, which means he loses all his matches, yes. He's also now on his "learning excursion", which means he'll be with ROH for the forseeable future.

I don't see much in him, but then again, I didn't see much in Okada either. We'll see.

Sometimes I think the WWE-trained guys could benefit from learning excursions to Mexico or Japan.

strobogo

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Bryan is about to kick Kane's ass so hard that SoulPlaya is gonna cry in the car.

Lol. I can picture him sitting in his car wearing this shirt

3359980_300x300_1.jpg

and repeatedly flicking his lighter, hoping what he saw was just a dream

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B
Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C
WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C
WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+
WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-
Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
WrestleMania IV - C
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Survivor Series '88 - D
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B
Royal Rumble '89 - F
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+
Royal Rumble '90 - D+
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-
Royal Rumble '91 - D+
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-

I don't know if many people will agree, but I thought this was a nice rebound after... *shudders* ...the last WCW event. I was consistently entertained.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lol. I can picture him sitting in his car wearing this shirt

3359980_300x300_1.jpg

and repeatedly flicking his lighter, hoping what he saw was just a dream
Excuse me! I'm the one that has been repeatedly saying that this feud is great because Kane will put Bryan over big time. Bryan is going to destroy Kane, no doubt about it.

And I have never worn a wrestling shirt! I'm too good for that!

SoulPlaya wears Kane shirts in public

and thinks Carlos Boozer isn't holding back the Bulls like he did this year
Boozer didn't hold the Bulls back. A stubborn coach, and a "superstar" who's worn more suits than uniforms during the season is what held them back!

Alucard

Banned
I wonder if Cole vs. Steen will headline Global Wars or if they'll go with Tanahashi and Liger teaming up against Nakamura and Jado. Really expecting big things from the New Japan tags to make up for the lack of ROH vs. New Japan straight up singles matches.

Heel

The best nugget from the piece is that Paul Heyman was going to be the Dana White of Strikeforce. Man, what could've been. Strikeforce would've landed on Spike had they not made a deal with the devil.

Do any Americans here use an online bank? I need to switch to a fee-free alternative. The only banks I know of are Ally and Simple, though Simple requires an invite. Any consensus here as to which is best?

The best nugget from the piece is that Paul Heyman was going to be the Dana White of Strikeforce. Man, what could've been. Strikeforce would've landed on Spike had they not made a deal with the devil.

i'd pay to see him with a trucker hat, big ass cellphone calling out "Mister" Dana White for a challenge.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
International fans buying the G1 iPPVs have no bearing on whether or not the tournament is successful - it's their biggest tour of the year and will sell like crazy on domestic iPPV, as last year's did.

Forget the iPPV, I wonder if they're going to sell out the Seibu Dome. Or at least come pretty close to it. Would love to see some of the bigger shows take place in these higher capacity stadiums.

A lot of guys unofficially do that, problem is usually WWE doesn't take them back and/or saddles them with a silly gimmick...see: Tomko, Bernard.

WWE doesn't really acknowledge other companies so there's no chance of officially sending some of the NXT guys to say, AAA or ROH. I think they'd want them to wrestle their own style.

On another note, a friend hooked me up with some good Raw tickets in July. It'll be my first live WWE event so I'm pretty excited.

I'm also thinking about making the pilgrimage to Japan later in the year, since a couple of my friends are going to see a concert there. I'm going to see if I can score some tickets to an NJPW event while I'm there. Hopefully it'll be Wrestle Kingdom tickets but I don't think I can afford to stay a whole month in Japan. So I'll take what I can get.

Do any Americans here use an online bank? I need to switch to a fee-free alternative. The only banks I know of are Ally and Simple, though Simple requires an invite. Any consensus here as to which is best?

Been with Ally for a few years now. No complaints, good interest rates. Smartphone check cashing is fine, and ATM reimbursement is nice.

Top Bottom