• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

ghostmind

Just caught up on Wrestling Dontaku, as there was no way I was going to make it last night. The crowd sucked ass until the last few matches, and AJ didn't get much reaction until later in their match. I don't think the crowd had any idea who he is, but I thought he put on a good show of his skills. The Yujiro turn completely took me by surprise, as I was quickly wondering if Devitt swerved everyone when the hoodie dude came into the ring. I'm glad the belt changed hands, as Okada was looking unbeatable, and that was getting stale fast.

And I wonder if they are really going to push this Bullet Club quest to get all the belts.

tm24

Do any Americans here use an online bank? I need to switch to a fee-free alternative. The only banks I know of are Ally and Simple, though Simple requires an invite. Any consensus here as to which is best?

Quite a few of my friends are using Simple and enjoy it. The site UI is pretty great and the app works just fine. Thought about switching myself, but im fine with my bank right now

Just caught up on Wrestling Dontaku, as there was no way I was going to make it last night. The crowd sucked ass until the last few matches, and AJ didn't get much reaction until later in their match. I don't think the crowd had any idea who he is, but I thought he put on a good show of his skills. The Yujiro turn completely took me by surprise, as I was quickly wondering if Devitt swerved everyone when the hoodie dude came into the ring. I'm glad the belt changed hands, as Okada was looking unbeatable, and that was getting stale fast.

It had been five years since AJ's last match in Japan and I doubt many watched TNA over there - honestly, I was surprised they didn't at least bring him in for the Road to Dontaku tour, just to give the fans a better idea of what he's like and why they should give a damn. The Yujiro stuff was great - I suspected he'd be turning on CHAOS soon, but had no idea it'd be for Bullet Club.

But MMA fans are educated and hate fake worked fighting, right?

I don't know about all of them - there's the jilted ex-WWE fan who has now turned to MMA and despises the notion that they're being worked in any way whatsoever (because they're super smart and above that sort of thing) but I severely doubt those dweebs are the majority.

strobogo

Banned
So guys...Shawshank Redemption....super underwhelming, right? It's a workman kind of movie. Everything is done well, but nothing mind blowing. It just seemed like a very competently made movie. Nothing special, nothing offensive. Just a movie.

Heel

But MMA fans are educated and hate fake worked fighting, right?

You're painting with a pretty broad brush, Aiii. Though it's funny knowing there's a good portion of fans who despise pro wrestling, yet have let a carny like Chael Sonnen become one of, if not the biggest draw in the sport through the power of a live microphone.

So guys...Shawshank Redemption....super underwhelming, right? It's a workman kind of movie. Everything is done well, but nothing mind blowing. It just seemed like a very competently made movie. Nothing special, nothing offensive. Just a movie.

I still have yet to see it. The movie is hyped like hell though.

strobogo said:

Couldn't agree more. Appreciated it for the story and the manner in which it was told, but it's not a movie I'd ever *want* to watch again. I'm continually surprised to see it rank so high on so many people's favourites lists.

strobogo

Banned
You're painting with a pretty broad brush, Aiii. Though it's funny knowing there's a good portion of fans who despise pro wrestling, yet have let a carny like Chael Sonnen become one of, if not the biggest draw in the sport through the power of a live microphone.

I've said it in these very threads before, but MMA fans are the biggest marks and don't even realize it. Every big fight they get sucked in, "Yeah, but these guys have REAL issues with each other, X is going to try to HURT X" and then the fighters shake hands after the fight and say they have great respect or each other. Then the next month, the MMA fans get sucked into the same story and buy it every time. The majority, at least.

Quite a few of my friends are using Simple and enjoy it. The site UI is pretty great and the app works just fine. Thought about switching myself, but im fine with my bank right now
I like Simple's debit card design, not thrilled about carrying around Ally's purple gimmick because I'm a manly man.

strobogo

Banned
Couldn't agree more. Appreciated it for the story and the manner in which it was told, but it's not a movie I'd ever *want* to watch again. I'm continually surprised to see it rank so high on so many people's favourites lists.

It absolutely feels like a movie TNT would have ran constantly in the late 90s. Which it did.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching that first Clash of the Champions and man, the Fantastics are probably one of the most underrated tag teams of all time.

Aii, if you wanna see pure, 100% MMA marks drop by the UFC OT when Machida fights.

some of these guys think he can throw ki energy.

I'm watching that first Clash of the Champions and man, the Fantastics are probably one of the most underrated tag teams of all time.

Seriously, they worked great together and it's a real shame Tommy never got his due. They got the briefest mention on the tag teams Legends of Wrestling roundtable, but when they did everyone was like "oh, yeah, The Fantastics were amazing".

Sblargh

Banned
I mean, people don't take MMA as serious as they take soccer, but these dudes are kind of symbols of national manhood or something. Implying that they are fake fighting is like saying the country lacks real men, which is obviosuly false since I live here.
*marks out to Bayley's new entrance*

Anyway, people go to the gym and build on this lifestyle based on wanting to be like *those guys*, they make a big deal about them. But then again, that was probably wrasslin' once upon a time in america.

Heel

I've said it in these very threads before, but MMA fans are the biggest marks and don't even realize it. Every big fight they get sucked in, "Yeah, but these guys have REAL issues with each other, X is going to try to HURT X" and then the fighters shake hands after the fight and say they have great respect or each other. Then the next month, the MMA fans get sucked into the same story and buy it every time. The majority, at least.

Engaging in a full contact sport for 25 minutes tends to settle a lot of animosity, so I can't say that shaking hands at the end means it was all a game. I think there's plenty of mental midgets in this sport who genuinely dislike their opponent, for whatever reason.

Aii, if you wanna see pure, 100% MMA marks drop by the UFC OT when Machida fights.

some of these guys think he can throw ki energy.

Machida certainly attracts the "I break boards at the dojo connected to Wal Mart" and "I take Street Fighter a little too seriously" crowd, that's for sure.

strobogo

Banned
Engaging in a full contact sport for 25 minutes tends to settle a lot of animosity, so I can't say that shaking hands at the end means it was all a game. I think there's plenty of mental midgets in this sport who genuinely dislike their opponent, for whatever reason.

Machida certainly attracts the "I break boards at the dojo connected to Wal Mart" and "I take Street Fighter a little too seriously" crowd, that's for sure.

I'm talking more along the lines of build ups where guys talk mad shit and then right after the fight say they really respected each other the whole time and were just doing what you do to sell PPVs. And then the fans buy it the next time they do it. And the next time. And the next time. And the next time. Forever. FORever. FOREVER.

Heel

I mean, people don't take MMA as serious as they take soccer, but these dudes are kind of symbols of national manhood or something. Implying that they are fake fighting is like saying the country lacks real men, which is obviosuly false since I live here.
*marks out to Bayley's new entrance*

Anyway, people go to the gym and build on this lifestyle based on wanting to be like *those guys*, they make a big deal about them. But then again, that was probably wrasslin' once upon a time in america.

Renzo Gracie getting stabbed through the cage in Rio is eerily reminiscent of the protected days of pro wrasslin'.

Luta Livre vs. BJJ was as real as it gets.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The more of this old NWA CotC I watch the more I regret not having been familiar with it when I watched WCW. Really makes me appreciate later WCW more. Just too large of a hole in my wrasslin education that I want to resolve.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't actually decide if I hate Fallbrawl 1998 or 1997 more.

1998 has all the rule changes, the Warrior, everyone pretending to be dead the last five minutes, but is also hilarious.

1997 has an awful roster (Flair, Benoit, Mongo, Henning faking an injury and turning NWO versus Syxx, Kevin Nash, Konnan, and Buff Bagwell) and an awful ending.

strobogo

Banned
You know, I don't think there is any sport that isn't sports entertainment. Nothing is pure. Everything has some carny promoter or theatrics and spectacle. Storylines, flashy graphics, certain people being pushed, certain guys getting breaks if it makes for a better story, merchandising.

Every sport is a work at some level.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I just saw an ad for Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. The one that Jeff mentioned on the Power Bombcast this week. It looks amaziiiiiiiiiing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn every time I see Arn and Tully wrestle, it's like perfection. Those two are so goddamn good.

Sblargh

Banned
Renzo Gracie getting stabbed through the cage in Rio is eerily reminiscent of the protected days of pro wrasslin'.

Luta Livre vs. BJJ was as real as it gets.

There's some serious as fuck fighting stuff that happens here. I went to a small arena once watch amateur level MMA and those dudes were just beating the hell out of each other, it was a street fight with a judge in the middle, no submission, no tackling to the ground, just dudes punching each other. It was ugly.

I think that we are, yeah, in the "early days" stage of the thing, where the line between what is fake and what is not is not really that clear and that it not being fake is really important, so at least some of it is legit, probably most of it that happens outside the tv, but I really don't like that, I mean, I already think UFC is too violent for my taste, I really did not enjoy seeing dudes beating the hell out of each other for real while people were just casually watching.

njean777

There's some serious as fuck fighting stuff that happens here. I went to a small arena once watch amateur level MMA and those dudes were just beating the hell out of each other, it was a street fight with a judge in the middle, no submission, no tackling to the ground, just dudes punching each other. It was ugly.

I think that we are, yeah, in the "early days" stage of the thing, where the line between what is fake and what is not is not really that clear and that it not being fake is really important, so at least some of it is legit, probably most of it that happens outside the tv, but I really don't like that, I mean, I already think UFC is too violent for my taste, I really did not enjoy seeing dudes beating the hell out of each other for real while people were just casually watching.

Same with me. Wrestling is fun to watch, UFC is to brutal for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My god, look at the crowd go bananas for Luger and Windham beating Arn and Tully for the tag championship. Place is on FIRE.
ibsPraNfcUtc3A.gif

Hellacious match, everyone should watch it.

Hasney

you need to see some Euro kickboxing where people sit next to tables and have dinner while the fights happen.

We had an MMA fight in my hometown where that happened when I was 18. Ended up being a waiter for it and even got access to the after party due to it!

DJ'd by Tim Westwood. What a gip.

Explain please! Wii Setup? My hope is having the gamepad in front of me while having a wiimote with a classic controller to play

Yup, that's the setup.

jred2k

You know, I don't think there is any sport that isn't sports entertainment. Nothing is pure. Everything has some carny promoter or theatrics and spectacle. Storylines, flashy graphics, certain people being pushed, certain guys getting breaks if it makes for a better story, merchandising.

Every sport is a work at some level.

I've always wanted to see a SWERVE in hockey. Like the game is in the final minutes and tied and then when one of the team's players gets on a break away the goalie stares them down and then just skates out of the net. Then he would taunt his whole bench and celebrate with the opposing team. Possibly the goalie would rip off his jersey to reveal that the jersey of the other team was underneath all along!

Top Bottom