• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Cagey

Banned
He's booked, he just no longer has a match announced. I'd expect him to wrestle someone like Roderick Strong.

Also, the card looks pretty good to me, regardless of the bait and switch main event;

. AJ vs Elgin
. Doc & Anderson vs The Briscoes
. Cole vs Liger
. Steen vs Nakamura
. Lethal vs KUSHIDA
. Tanahashi vs Bennett

Good regardless of the bait-and-switch main event, but it's pretty hard to disregard the bait-and-switch. I just don't care to see AJ Styles do anything. My dollars aren't spent to see him.

strobogo

Banned
I don't like you.

I think Bray should have gone over convincingly at WM. Mostly clean. As clean as a heel can go over Cena. That Cena won, yet the story acts as if that didn't happen makes me think that was the original idea, but Vince changed his mind at the last second. And that makes me think that Cena will be on top for as long as his body holds out or until Vince dies. And Vincent Kennedy McMahon will no sell death.

Boxing is boring as shit

I agree. MMA makes boxing completely obsolete in my opinion. We're at almost a decade of MMA being a big deal, yet boxing still gets crazy huge numbers for their big PPVs. I don't get it.

But I personally would watch the highest level of Mooey Tie or Jewjitsue, so I guess the idea that the highest level of strictly boxing still being a viable thing shouldn't be that surprising. My personal bias is that straight boxing is only as interesting as the personalities involved. To me, boxing hasn't been interesting since Tyson. But I also don't follow or give a shit about boxing and really never have. I find documentaries about boxing much more interesting than an actual boxing fight.

I knew who Floyd Mayweather was before his involvement with wrasslin, but I've still never seen one of his fights. I know who the Klitschkos are, but I've never seen one of their fights. If someone posted a picture of them, I would have no idea who they were. No one in MMA has the level of boxing ability as the top boxers, but boxing on its own isn't very interesting to me. I would would watch ADCC matches, though. I went to a Mooey Tie show as my cousin trained for fun for a while and his gym puts on shows from time to time, though not actually professional. One of the guys there went on to win actual pro tournaments, though. And the YAK fight was by far the best fight of the night. Legit mooey tie. With the music and everything. It was dope as fuck. He also did BJJ training for a while and the one time I went with him, I got to roll and a dude completely fucked me up by not only putting me in a triangle, but slamming my face into his knee first. I had two black eyes AND gi burn on my face for 2 weeks afterwards. The guy was a total shit head. Any real BJJ guy wouldn't take advantage like that.

I feel like MMA makes individual disciplines obsolete, but at the same time, the top level of any individual discipline almost always blow away what you'll see of them in MMA. Boxing is the most boring to watch on its own even at the highest level to me. I'll watch Tyson kill people and I do enjoy watching Ali fights, but boxing by itself has never been that interesting to me. I'd rather watch straight BJJ/MT/college wrestling than boxing. The training and dedication boxers go through is much more interesting to me than the actual fights.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B
Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C
WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C
WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+
WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-
Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
WrestleMania IV - C
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Survivor Series '88 - D
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B
Royal Rumble '89 - F
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+
Royal Rumble '90 - D+
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-
Royal Rumble '91 - D+
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D

1991, please.

The talent disparity. Boxing is crazy is pacquao and may wether and everyone else

You should watch Glory kickboxing itsnthenbest parts of MMA and boxing

He's booked, he just no longer has a match announced. I'd expect him to wrestle someone like Roderick Strong.

Also, the card looks pretty good to me, regardless of the bait and switch main event;

. AJ vs Elgin
. Doc & Anderson vs The Briscoes
. Cole vs Liger
. Steen vs Nakamura
. Lethal vs KUSHIDA
. Tanahashi vs Bennett

I'm rather miffed at no Okada vs Elgin. If anything, I'd drop Liger and have Okada win the ROH title off Cole. Also, would a scum/bullet club feud work? Had there been any talk of New Japan hosting ROH like what's going on here?

Just finished Wrestling Dontaku... sigh

I'm upset with AJ winning. I'm sure Elgin/Styles will be a great match but it is just disappointing to not see Okada defend the title. Not to mention that I'm flying out from Denver to watch the show in person just really sours me. I'm going to be greedy because of course, I want to see Okada and to get a main event like that... bleh. If I knew of this before hand, I wouldn't have put in the effort to try to get out to NYC. Still going to have fun and experience the city and meet up with WrassleGAF but right now I feel like I wasted a ticket. I paid to watch NJPW, not ROH. Of course, there are people who are on the other side of the fence, which is fine. I'm just ranting a bit right now. I don't even know who he will face? Strong? Would be dope if they announced Hero vs Okada. Maybe even have Cole wrestle Okada. Liger then can wrestle Strong. Fuck it, have Okada wrestle Tanahashi instead.

At least I get to watch Steen vs Nakamura which I'm hyped for. And I get to see NJPW wrestlers live. Prolly the only chance I get at that.

BAH. So damn annoyed right now.

Cagey

Banned
Just finished Wrestling Dontaku... sigh

I'm upset with AJ winning. I'm sure Elgin/Styles will be a great match but it is just disappointing to not see Okada defend the title. Not to mention that I'm flying out from Denver to watch the show in person just really sours me. I'm going to be greedy because of course, I want to see Okada and to get a main event like that... bleh. If I knew of this before hand, I wouldn't have put in the effort to try to get out to NYC. Still going to have fun and experience the city and meet up with WrassleGAF but right now I feel like I wasted a ticket. I paid to watch NJPW, not ROH. Of course, there are people who are on the other side of the fence, which is fine. I'm just ranting a bit right now. I don't even know who he will face? Strong? Would be dope if they announced Hero vs Okada. Maybe even have Cole wrestle Okada. Liger then can wrestle Strong. Fuck it, have Okada wrestle Tanahashi instead.

At least I get to watch Steen vs Nakamura which I'm hyped for. And I get to see NJPW wrestlers live. Prolly the only chance I get at that.

BAH. So damn annoyed right now.

Flying from Denver? Damn dude, I'm sorry. I'm just taking the subway 10 minutes to the venue, and I barely follow NJPW, and I'm bummed. Can't imagine your disappointment.

And not just to have it not be Okada, but to put it on AJ effing Styles instead of a Japanese wrestler. Paid to NJPW indeed, and now we're getting that garbage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AJ Styles over Tetsuya Naito or Shibata or Devitt. AJ who hasn't improved or changed his moveset since 2004

lolololol

JOIN ME IN MY DESPAIR EDGE

We can cry about it over delicious mountains of food

;_;

I won't be selling my ticket cause I still want to watch the event, I'm just gonna have a chip on my shoulder. At least I can buy a ton of merch to make me feel better.

*flips table*

My biggest worry is all future IWGP title matches. It is going to be a Bullet Club cluster fuck.

strobogo

Banned
The talent disparity. Boxing is crazy is pacquao and may wether and everyone else

You should watch Glory kickboxing itsnthenbest parts of MMA and boxing

I'll take borderline amateur level kick boxing over straight boxing any day. It's just so antiquated at this point in time. When I still kept up with MMA, my favorite parts were leg kicks and guys working on the mat. The majority of crowds in the US get bored or boo when stuff is on the ground too long, but I love seeing guys work to get a submission or better position. Way more interesting to me than seeing guys hang and bang. UFC stands stuff up too soon. A big part of the greatness of PRIDE was that guys had a lot of time in that first round to set stuff up and try to work on the mat. I'm not talking GSP shit of laying on a guy, not letting him up, and throwing punches every 15-20 seconds so the ref doesn't stand you up.

In fact, GSP was one of the major factors in my losing any and all passion I had for MMA. His fights completely soured me on the entire sport. I was super into it for a while. The last full show I watched was Chael/Anderson II. Before that, it was Couture/Big Nog. There were a number of factors that made me lose interest. The main one was complete over-saturation of the product. That, poor officiating forcing stand ups, guys like GSP, and Dana White made me lose interest to the point where nothing can get me back. I post in the MMA thread just to throw random wrestling shit in there, and I only know about results for shows based on people in here and because I still have a Yahoo email that I check once in a while.

It's kind of sad because MMA had its hooks in me for a few years. At this point, the only MMA I want is gifs from Lambada and old PRIDE shows. I'd much rather watch top level BJJ and mooey tie than UFC at this point in time.

Give a goddamn A already Zach! :p

The only thing even near an A that he's going to get for years is Beach Blast 1992. Maybe GAB 1992 if he's really into Southern smash mouth tag team wrasslin.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GLORY is all the fun you need for combat sports. It has an amazing hook, it can give you great entertainment.

Flying from Denver? Damn dude, I'm sorry. I'm just taking the subway 10 minutes to the venue, and I barely follow NJPW, and I'm bummed. Can't imagine your disappointment.

And not just to have it not be Okada, but to put it on AJ effing Styles instead of a Japanese wrestler. Paid to NJPW indeed, and now we're getting that garbage.

Yeah, I never been to NYC and always wanted to visit so when I heard the show was happening and this might be my only chance to watch NJPW, I jumped on it. I'm sure I'm going to have a fun time regardless at the event, I'm just moot about it right now. As BronsonLee said, at least there will be food. And lots of it.

What I find funny is that people are still saying we are getting NJPW vs ROH in the main event because Styles signed with NJPW. Cmon man.

strobogo

Banned
GLORY is all the fun you need for combat sports. It has an amazing hook, it can give you great entertainment.

What's the hook? PRIDE Jr? PRIDE was SO much better than UFC. Everything about it was better. I really don't think there is anything that UFC does better than PRIDE. I prefer the ring to the cage. I prefer PRIDE's rules over the unified rules. I like Goldy and Rogan, but Japanese announcers are the best. No matter how successful and big UFC gets, it will never compare to the pageantry of PRIDE.

Over the years, I've really come to dislike Dana and everything he stands for. He's a legitimate embarrassment to the sport. I've seen fast food workers with more professionalism than him. He isn't Vince (yet obviously thinks of himself in the same manner as Vince/Vince's character) and that he's been made to be as big of a star as anyone in the UFC is ridiculous. Imagine if David Stern was portrayed as as big of a star as Jordan or Lebron.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's the hook? PRIDE Jr? PRIDE was SO much better than UFC. Everything about it was better. I really don't think there is anything that UFC does better than PRIDE. I prefer the ring to the cage. I prefer PRIDE's rules over the unified rules. I like Goldy and Rogan, but Japanese announcers are the best. No matter how successful and big UFC gets, it will never compare to the pageantry of PRIDE.

Over the years, I've really come to dislike Dana and everything he stands for. He's a legitimate embarrassment to the sport. I've seen fast food workers with more professionalism than him. He isn't Vince (yet obviously thinks of himself in the same manner as Vince/Vince's character) and that he's been made to be as big of a star as anyone in the UFC is ridiculous. Imagine if David Stern was portrayed as as big of a star as Jordan or Lebron.

GLORY is all about ENTERTAINMENT brother! I loved PRIDE too. I'm not defending UFC at all though.

Cagey

Banned
Yeah, I never been to NYC and always wanted to visit so when I heard the show was happening and this might be my only chance to watch NJPW, I jumped on it. I'm sure I'm going to have a fun time regardless at the event, I'm just moot about it right now. As BronsonLee said, at least there will be food. And lots of it.

What I find funny is that people are still saying we are getting NJPW vs ROH in the main event because Styles signed with NJPW. Cmon man.

That's total BS. Styles v. Elgin is TNA v. ROH in the minds of 99% of people, regardless of Styles's way past or current employers, and who gives a shit about that.

If you want an entirely random but necessary food recommendation, head up to 74th and Amsterdam (about 10 minutes from the venue) and go to Levain Bakery for the best cookie you'll ever eat. It's enormous too. #bulklife.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Popgaf and WrassleGAF share a lot of common ground. Embrace it!

That's total BS. Styles v. Elgin is TNA v. ROH in the minds of 99% of people, regardless of Styles's way past or current employers, and who gives a shit about that.

If you want an entirely random but necessary food recommendation, head up to 74th and Amsterdam (about 10 minutes from the venue) and go to Levain Bakery for the best cookie you'll ever eat. It's enormous too. #bulklife.

Yup. First thing I thought of too lol.

And dood, give me all the suggestions. I'm going to be making a thread asking for some so by all means, throw it out there. I want to eat everything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Legitshook.com Presents
3-Panel-Jiff for tonight

This one is titled:

"Nobody Saw That"

i3m3fqADXcwgO.gif

iVWbFijdQH7k.gif

iXXstm6Tbz1Je.gif

Laserfrog

This tag match between Shane Douglas and Ricky Steamboat vs the Hollywood blondes at Clash of the champeeens 22 is really good, but next up is the THUNDERCAGE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This tag match between Shane Douglas and Ricky Steamboat vs the Hollywood blondes at Clash of the champeeens 22 is really good, but next up is the THUNDERCAGE.

It always weirds me out how long Shane Douglas has actually been around. Just WEIRD.

strobogo

Banned
GLORY is all about ENTERTAINMENT brother! I loved PRIDE too. I'm not defending UFC at all though.

UFC is SORELY missing in the entertainment department. They think the TUF can cover it, but Dana is wrong. PRIDE was the best because it came the closest possible to being legitimate pro wrestling. And it isn't like I quit MMA because it wasn't more like pro wrestling. My favorite part of MMA is guys working on the mat, which is generally not interesting to people who aren't somewhat educated. A crazy knock out is always rad, but nothing is better than a master on the mat working at getting a hold to make someone tap out.

I'm all about sweeps and subs. I would 100% watch an ADCC tournament if it was televised. Much sooner than I would watch a UFC PPV or Fight Night. MMA lost me and I don't think it will ever get me back. But fuck do I love old PRIDE shows. The same cousin who did MT/BJJ had Choke and I watched it at least 15 times. I remember renting the first few UFC shows as a kid. I was probably 8 or 9. It's not like I got into MMA with TUF. TUF reminded me that MMA existed and that I liked it, but I most definitely watched the earliest shows as a kid. My passion definitely reignited after TUF, but it burned out once UFC started running so many god damn shows.

My favorite part of Choke (besides the ridiculous breathing exercise) was Sgt. Craig Pittman being in it.

Fuck Dana. He's a true blemish on the sport and his company. He's probably the singles most unprofessional president of any major company in the US.

Guzim

I wish Okada won, but I'm still excited to be going to NYC. I still can't wait to see Liger, Nakamura, and Tanahashi. Will any GAFers be playing the air guitar with me when Tanahashi makes his entrance?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Stro we need to organize MMA Classix Night and watch the David vs Goliath UFC event.

THAT was good shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jesus, Hulk Hogan's Wrestlemania 4 promo is still so good. Maybe it is cocaine fueled, but it has something neither Savage or Warrior had.

It's fucking nuts, but you can completely understand it. It makes you feel like a part of his insanity where as Warrior promos always just felt like, 'yeah, there's warrior babbling about stuff. He seems confident about it, and I like the colors, so I guess I'll cheer him'(I didn't.) But Hogan comparing slamming Andre to the Biblical Flood just paints such an awesome picture. You really do picture yourself as a kid being dragged through the flooded Atlantic City by the pythons, brother.

Sad he never had any promos close to as good as that one.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I remember watching Tank Abbot try and throw a dude over the cage in the early UFC tapes I watched as a kid. Just dudes in sneakers and sweatpants and some without gloves beating the shit out of each other in true redneck fashion.

Cagey

Banned
Yup. First thing I thought of too lol.

And dood, give me all the suggestions. I'm going to be making a thread asking for some so by all means, throw it out there. I want to eat everything.

What kind of suggestions -- quick stops or nicer sit-down joints?

I would recommend doing Shake Shack for burgers + Levain Bakery for a cookie the size of your fist as a lunch stop. Both up in my neighborhood and only 4 blocks apart, so you can hit them in the span of an hour back-to-back, and it's only 10-15 minutes max from the venue, so it's convenient.

Here's some recommendations that first spring to mind, only one of which is a rather fancy restaurant you'll need a reservation for...

• For soul food, Amy Ruth's in Harlem (Sylvia's is overrated tourist trap; Red Rooster is too bougie and also a tourist trap, but very good).
  • For BBQ in NYC, Blue Smoke.
  • For Korean BBQ, the joints in Koreatown (walking distance from the venue) are all similar, so you can't go wrong. The best Korean is way out in Flushing, Queens.
  • For baller ass burgers in a fancy dining setting, Minetta Tavern's $26 Black Label Burger is untouchable. Burger, caramelized onions. Nothing else is put on the burger, nothing else is allowed. Need a reservation, but my lord is it worth it.
  • For fancy pizza, Motorino.
  • For New Yawk street slice pizza, Joe's in Greenwich.
  • For high-quality American comfort, Shopsin's.
  • For a market with a bunch of random places, Chelsea Market. Tourist-heavy but with good reason.
  • For a bar near Manhattan Center, Stout has good food + quality beer selection. About two avenues away from the venue.

Guzim

I remember watching Tank Abbot try and throw a dude over the cage in the early UFC tapes I watched as a kid. Just dudes in sneakers and sweatpants and some without gloves beating the shit out of each other in true redneck fashion.

Don't forget punching each other in the groin over and over and over and over.

Guzim

What kind of suggestions -- quick stops or nicer sit-down joints?

I would recommend doing Shake Shack for burgers + Levain Bakery for a cookie the size of your fist as a lunch stop. Both up in my neighborhood and only 4 blocks apart, so you can hit them in the span of an hour back-to-back, and it's only 10-15 minutes max from the venue, so it's convenient.

Here's some recommendations that first spring to mind, only one of which is a rather fancy restaurant you'll need a reservation for...

• For soul food, Amy Ruth's in Harlem (Sylvia's is overrated tourist trap; Red Rooster is too bougie and also a tourist trap, but very good).
  • For BBQ in NYC, Blue Smoke.
  • For baller ass burgers in a fancy dining setting, Minetta Tavern's $26 Black Label Burger is untouchable. Burger, caramelized onions. Nothing else is put on the burger, nothing else is allowed. Need a reservation, but my lord is it worth it.
  • For fancy pizza, Motorino.
  • For New Yawk street slice pizza, Joe's in Greenwich.
  • For high-quality American comfort, Shopsin's.
  • For a market with a bunch of random places, Chelsea Market. Tourist-heavy but with good reason.

I like Mark Burger a lot. So good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was like the WCW version of Saturday Night Main Event...

unless you're referring to a totally different Clash of the Champions then I have no clue.

That's the one. Go to the WWE Network Schedule for May 5th and you can start the first ever one. Good stuff.

DMczaf

The next WM Rewind is the first Randy Savage episode

WRESTLEMANIA REWIND
5/5/14
Relive the historic final match of the WrestleMania IV tournament where Randy Savage took on the 'Million Dollar Man'.
TV-PG

tm24

Randomly saw an episode of Lucas Bros Moving Co that has Jake the Snake on it. The show is something else, but Jake is pretty great

Top Bottom